The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 3 make world wide?
500 Million 2 1.14%
550 Million 4 2.29%
600 Million 4 2.29%
650 Million 6 3.43%
700 Million 9 5.14%
750 Million 10 5.71%
800 Million 16 9.14%
850 Million 30 17.14%
900 Million 33 18.86%
950 Million 9 5.14%
1 Billion 31 17.71%
1.1 Billion 11 6.29%
1.2 Billion 3 1.71%
1.3 Billion 1 0.57%
1.4 Billion 0 0%
1.5 Billion 6 3.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #401
ares834
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Iron Man 3 Box Office Prediction Thread

Don't see Iron Man 3 making over a billion TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I think you all are underestimating what Superman is going to do this summer. I say he's going to pull in 600 million WW, easy. Films are starting to get out of it's way because studios are anticipating it to be a big draw that weekend.
In order of top highest grossing movies this year:
Iron Man 3
Hunger Games 2
Man of Steel
Star Trek 2
Hangover 3
it's a rough estimation so I'm probably wrong, but I'm feel pretty confident about those first three at least.
That being said, do you all feel that IM3 will be able to outgross the Hunger games? Domestically it could prove to be a challenge but world wide I'd say it's got sturdier legs.
You forgot the Hobbit. Part 1 made over a billion dollars. Part 2 will easily be in the top 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I find it odd that people are counting out T:TDW in favor of MOS so soon, especially considering it will be fresh on the heels TA and IM3's success.

MOS trailers are awesome, but that isn't enough to think MOS is gonna be some huge success. Hell the first Thor made more money than Superman Returns and it's MUCH fresher in the GA's mind.
Returns was, quite simply, a bad movie. Plus Thor has 3D ticket sales, inflation, and Superhero movies being "the big thing" when it came out to put it over the top.

Unless MoS is an utterly horrible movie, I can't see Thor topping it.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #402
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

The problem for MoS is it has the worst release date of any big summer movie. Maybe it's the movie that can break the June curse, but there's a ton of competition on either side of it. I'm pretty sure that if Thor TDW, is decent, it will top MoS.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #403
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Whatever this June curse is, MoS will break it.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 AM   #404
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
^ As much as I love Thor and hope for a huge success, I don't have a ton of hope for that making colossal bank. It'll definitely be a success, don't get me wrong, but as of right now I don't see it being one of the highest five grossing films WW this year.
But hey, I'd love to be wrong on this one haha and like I said it's way to early to tell. I could easily change my tune come Tuesday.

What's going to put it up there, is Hemsworth is becoming a teenage heart throb. It's too early to give a final prediction, because a lot depends on quality, but I have a feeling that teenage girls in the month of November are going to flock to the theaters to see Chris and his little brother.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #405
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Whatever this June curse is, MoS will break it.
Basically, outside of animated movies, June movies don't have huge openings. You probably have to go back to Batman '89 to find a movie that had a huge June opening. Again it doesn't have to do with the quality of the movie, Batman Begins did well, but I think it would have done much better had it been released over Memorial day or later in July.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #406
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Basically, outside of animated movies, June movies don't have huge openings. You probably have to go back to Batman '89 to find a movie that had a huge June opening.
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban had a 93 millions opening back in 2004 (wich would translate into 121 millions nowadays).
Transformers 2 opened on june 24th 2009 with a 108 millions week end (wich adjusted would make 117 millions).

And that's just the recent examples. Back in the 90's you have Jurrassic Park (who set a new record opening week-end if I'm not mistaken) and the Batman movies of course.

You can pretty much release a film in June and still get a massive opening (100M and more but I'm not saying MoS will do this kind of numbers) if you have the proper hype, word of mouth, critics. Of course it won't be as big as a July opening (though you have to take in account that the competition is also stronger), but it can also allow for stronger legs.

All in all, I don't think releasing MoS in July is a bad move on Warner's part.
They don't need a record breaking hit, just a film that performs good enough to grant a sequel. Given the weak-ish competition, it can very well be an ambitious bet but a wise one.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #407
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

For non-sequel, non animated films in June, the last highest grossing film was Hulk, followed by Snow White and the Huntsman.

MoS may have "Harry Potter" type recognition, but I'm not positive. You're right, it doesnt' need to be a huge hit, but recent films do not have good luck in June.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #408
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
The problem for MoS is it has the worst release date of any big summer movie. Maybe it's the movie that can break the June curse, but there's a ton of competition on either side of it. I'm pretty sure that if Thor TDW, is decent, it will top MoS.
Mid-June? Not really, but it's in the mid-range of release dates (best dates are first weekend of May, Memorial Day, Fourth of July weekend or mid-July). If it was the weekend on or before Labor Day (late August-early September), you'd have a point there.

I don't think people would be arguing over MOS' release date, had The Avengers been released June 15 instead of May 4. It still would've broke records left and right.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #409
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
Mid-June? Not really, but it's in the mid-range of release dates (best dates are first weekend of May, Memorial Day, Fourth of July weekend or mid-July). If it was the weekend on or before Labor Day (late August-early September), you'd have a point there.

I don't think people would be arguing over MOS' release date, had The Avengers been released June 15 instead of May 4. It still would've broke records left and right.
The proof is in the statistics. Non animated, non-sequel films coming out in mid-June do poorly.

Sure Avengers would have done well, because it's as much a sequel as it is an original film. MoS =/= Avengers

Old 04-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #410
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
The proof is in the statistics. Non animated, non-sequel films coming out in mid-June do poorly.

Sure Avengers would have done well, because it's as much a sequel as it is an original film. MoS =/= Avengers
I think MOS will be the exception to that rule. This is the End moved up to June 12th, and After Earth moved from June 7 to May 31st (the latter after the final trailer came out). The positive buzz on MOS is growing, and the rival studios want to steer clear from June 14 -- which has MOS as the only new film that weekend.

But Iron Man 3 will out-earn it hand over fist anyway.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #411
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Returns was, quite simply, a bad movie. Plus Thor has 3D ticket sales, inflation, and Superhero movies being "the big thing" when it came out to put it over the top.

Unless MoS is an utterly horrible movie, I can't see Thor topping it.
That's cool, I've always liked "underdogs".

I remember last year when The Avengers was the underdog against TDKR.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #412
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Yeah, I would not count Thor out after seeing that teaser today. It looks fantastic.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #413
Joss Whedon
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, I would not count Thor out after seeing that teaser today. It looks fantastic.
I think you have the best username ever.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 PM   #414
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
That's cool, I've always liked "underdogs".

I did not expect The Avengers to become the behemoth it it now... I expected Iron Man numbers (coupled with inflation and 3D surcharges) but it outperformed all expectations.

And that movie deserved every penny. Joss Whedon finally got vindicated for all those years toiling as a cult TV showrunner and then some. And it was a terrific, entertaining movie.

Just hope Iron Man 3 will live up to the expectations a lot of fans set after The Avengers raised the bar...

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #415
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joss Whedon View Post
I think you have the best username ever.
Thanks man!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 AM   #416
JayJustROTFL
Side-Kick

Quote:
All star cast VS Nolans batman. It was never the underdog. Just internet wannabe cowboys saying otherwise.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #417
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJustROTFL View Post
All star cast VS Nolans batman. It was never the underdog. Just internet wannabe cowboys saying otherwise.
Bats: "Yes, there's seven of you, and only one of me, and yet somehow it still seems like a fair fight."
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #418
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
It really was the underdog, you forget the previous Bat film destroyed everything in sight at the box office. but come to think of it...I don't know why people ever realised that Nolan's refusal to go 3d would be somewhat of a handicap, I mean it's almost mathematically improbable to go up against 3d prices I'm afraid.

It's a shame because i abhor 3D, going to see IM3 in glorious 2D (the way films were meant to be seen)

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #419
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
Bats: "Yes, there's seven of you, and only one of me, and yet somehow it still seems like a fair fight."
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I love these videos so much. Especially the parts with Spider-man.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-24-2013, 08:05 AM   #420
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:

All-star cast?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #421
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
All-star cast?
Guess I've reached the age where Caine, Oldman and Freeman don't constitute as part of an all star cast anymore.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #422
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Guess I've reached the age where Caine, Oldman and Freeman don't constitute as part of an all star cast anymore.
Guess you can call it a Legendary Cast. Sounds classier anyway.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #423
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I don't agree about the all star cast thing, but I did have a good feeling that Avengers would outgross TDKR. TDKR's problem was that it had to follow up on TDK, it was bound to be a let down.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #424
Visceral
Side-Kick

Its a cast much more grounded in reality.

Before we begin does anyone want to get out?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #425
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
I don't agree about the all star cast thing, but I did have a good feeling that Avengers would outgross TDKR. TDKR's problem was that it had to follow up on TDK, it was bound to be a let down.
That really wasn't the factor though, you might as well say the same thing about this film or the Avengers 2, they both have to follow Avengers, logically you'd assume it will make around the same amount if not more. The real reason (other than tragedy, which i'll refrain from talking about) it was the lack of 3D showings which bring significantly more money, meaning even if TDKR matched the same amount of tickets sold...it would have still made less money. You can imagine WB not being particularly happy about that and that the next one will definitely be in 3D which I wouldn't be happy about clearly.

I've made sure to catch IM3 tonight in good ol 2D or nothing

Closed Thread