The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 3 make world wide?
500 Million 2 1.14%
550 Million 4 2.29%
600 Million 4 2.29%
650 Million 6 3.43%
700 Million 9 5.14%
750 Million 10 5.71%
800 Million 16 9.14%
850 Million 30 17.14%
900 Million 33 18.86%
950 Million 9 5.14%
1 Billion 31 17.71%
1.1 Billion 11 6.29%
1.2 Billion 3 1.71%
1.3 Billion 1 0.57%
1.4 Billion 0 0%
1.5 Billion 6 3.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #426
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Default Re: The Iron Man 3 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I think you all are underestimating what Superman is going to do this summer. I say he's going to pull in 600 million WW, easy. Films are starting to get out of it's way because studios are anticipating it to be a big draw that weekend.
In order of top highest grossing movies this year:
Iron Man 3
Hunger Games 2
Man of Steel
Star Trek 2
Hangover 3
it's a rough estimation so I'm probably wrong, but I'm feel pretty confident about those first three at least.
That being said, do you all feel that IM3 will be able to outgross the Hunger games? Domestically it could prove to be a challenge but world wide I'd say it's got sturdier legs.
I think that order sounds about right except I'd definitely put Hobbit at number 1, definitely the only movie out this year that is almost certain to pull in a billion.

Side note: the fact that we had 3 films hit the billion mark last year (and two of them weren't even in 3D) really astounds me.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #427
thalidomide
The Enemy

Why are we talking about other movie's B.O. prediction?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #428
JayJustROTFL
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Guess I've reached the age where Caine, Oldman and Freeman don't constitute as part of an all star cast anymore.
They are an all star cast and in my opinion the better actors. But all star cast means a high-profile/popular cast. not who is better.

I was just saying The Avengers had some of the "current popular" actors/actresses at the time.

-Robert Downey Jr
-Chris Hemsworth
-Scarlet Johanson
-Tom Hiddleston
-Samuel L Jackson
-Chris Evans

Combined already with The Marvel films behind it, The Avengers was a guaranteed hit. If any film was competition for TDKR, it was Avengers. It was mainly people on the internet hyping TDKR to be the greatest film of all time. Either way, I dont see The Avengers as the underdog.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #429
Mr.M
Side-Kick

I would say X-Men: DoFP has the best ensemble cast we have seen by far in a CBM. Not even close.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #430
antonydelfini
Captain's Orders

The word of mouth on this movie is gonna be great. The applause at the end of this one was even greater than the one for the Avengers. It delivers big time on the plot, characters, and action.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #431
shuffleboard
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3 tracking for $160M US debut
Quote:
Box-office tracking on “Iron Man 3’ is now on target for a whopping $160 million debut in the U.S. May 3 when it kicks off the summer movie season for Disney.

That the Marvel superhero movie would be a blockbuster and the year's biggest opener to date has been a given for months, but analysts' expectations for its domestic debut have spiked ahead of this week's international rollout. "Iron Man 3" opens in Australia, France, Italy and eight other countries on Wednesday and in roughly 25 more foreign markets over the weekend. It will debut in China on the same day it does in the U.S., Disney said Wednesday.

If it does hit the $160 million mark "Iron Man 3" will easily top another Disney film, "Oz the Great and Powerful," as 2013's biggest opener, and would be the best since "Dark Knight Rises" debuted to that same amount last July.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #432
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

$400m US/ $900-1b WW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
I think you all are underestimating what Superman is going to do this summer. I say he's going to pull in 600 million WW, easy. Films are starting to get out of it's way because studios are anticipating it to be a big draw that weekend.
In order of top highest grossing movies this year:
Iron Man 3
Hunger Games 2
Man of Steel
Star Trek 2
Hangover 3
it's a rough estimation so I'm probably wrong, but I'm feel pretty confident about those first three at least.
That being said, do you all feel that IM3 will be able to outgross the Hunger games? Domestically it could prove to be a challenge but world wide I'd say it's got sturdier legs.
If we're talking WW then what I see as top 5:

IM3
The Hobbit: DoS
Despicable Me 2
Monsters Uni
Hunger Games 2

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Old 04-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #433
Sharkboy
Hallelujah Pilgrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJustROTFL View Post
They are an all star cast and in my opinion the better actors. But all star cast means a high-profile/popular cast. not who is better.

I was just saying The Avengers had some of the "current popular" actors/actresses at the time.

-Robert Downey Jr
-Chris Hemsworth
-Scarlet Johanson
-Tom Hiddleston
-Samuel L Jackson
-Chris Evans

Combined already with The Marvel films behind it, The Avengers was a guaranteed hit. If any film was competition for TDKR, it was Avengers. It was mainly people on the internet hyping TDKR to be the greatest film of all time. Either way, I dont see The Avengers as the underdog.
Honestly it's easy to forget this now since the avengers is the biggest movie in the history of everything, but outside of RDJ, ScarJo and Jackson. Most of these guys are unknown and Chris Evans while known...wasn't exactly a household name. So I wouldn't call it an all star cast, sure it seems that way now because they are all pretty much rockstars, but back then not so much.

As for TDKR, the projected quality and the hype up isn't exactly the point, the fact that it followed the then biggest superhero movie of all time was everything, it could have had the return of bat-nipples and the condiment king as the villain and it would be a sure thing to hit a billion. no matter how big it would have gotten it was definitely the box office underdog....and it won!

To put things in today's perspective...if star wars wasn't coming out in 2015 (and i still have doubts that it will) then no amount of hype or buzz is going to make anything not seem like the underdog to Avengers 2 come that year, thats the position TDKR was in 2012.

As for IM3 (to keep it on topic) yeah if the film is what some people are saying it is, I want this to hit a billion easy, there is no real reason for someone to want to watch the avengers and not want to watch iron man. Cap and thor i can kinda understand but this is the guy that started it all.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #434
Mr. Dent

Don't want to talk about MoS in this thread, but a lot of you ARE disrespecting it. The amount of buzz and hype it's generating is huge, the excitement level for it is definitely about 8x higher than IM3 on this board at least. I think it will do $320m+ here easily.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #435
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Don't want to talk about MoS in this thread, but a lot of you ARE disrespecting it. The amount of buzz and hype it's generating is huge, the excitement level for it is definitely about 8x higher than IM3 on this board at least. I think it will do $320m+ here easily.
What it is on SHH I have no idea, but SHH does tend to lean toward DC now a day, so you might be right, however in most of the news medias public polling MoS ranks maybe 4th or 5th on the list for summer movies. IM3 tops nearly every single list and Star Trek is generally higher.

That's not disrespecting MoS, that's just stating information that's readily available.

I think MoS looks good aside from a few minor gripes I have, and I hope it does well. I do think it has a horrible release date, and that's based on years of statistical data. Maybe it can overcome that, and if so, good for them.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #436
Mr. Dent

I don't tend to pay too much attention to polsters and things like that, but MoS has way more trailer views than Into Darkness, I typically see much more discussion about it on message boards and social media, and it's just behind IM3 for most trailer views of the summer season.

As for this board, when the new MoS trailer came out it was the first time I saw one section alone have 900 views other than TDKR. IM3 never got that high.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #437
shuffleboard
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I don't tend to pay too much attention to polsters and things like that, but MoS has way more trailer views than Into Darkness, I typically see much more discussion about it on message boards and social media, and it's just behind IM3 for most trailer views of the summer season.

As for this board, when the new MoS trailer came out it was the first time I saw one section alone have 900 views other than TDKR. IM3 never got that high.
You really cannot use the SHH forums as a representative in gauging general reaction on how popular something is. This place is a very specific microcosm of the mainstream public, which is the one that drives the box-office.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #438
Mr. Dent

I know, I was just saying how popular MoS is on this board.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #439
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Right, but as far as the general audience is concerned, most of the data tells us that MoS is not in the top 3 anticipation-wise. It is for me, but I'm a Supes fan since birth.

Oh, and I think 160 is extremely conservative for opening week. I think it will edge out TDKR WW at the end of the day.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #440
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

I'm going with a 175M OW on this one and $450M DOM as well as $650M OS for a $1.1B WW cume. Yeah, I think that'll do for my final guess. Now to sit back and see how it plays out.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:53 PM   #441
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I don't know if Iron Man 3 can break the opening day record, but an estimated $175M opening weekend? Wow.

I'm actually surprised. I thought the ceiling would be $150M, adding in the Avengers boost.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #442
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
I would say X-Men: DoFP has the best ensemble cast we have seen by far in a CBM. Not even close.
I agee!

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 04-24-2013, 11:20 PM   #443
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I don't know if Iron Man 3 can break the opening day record, but an estimated $175M opening weekend? Wow.

I'm actually surprised. I thought the ceiling would be $150M, adding in the Avengers boost.
Interesting, here's your original prediction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I think IM3 can get around $150M OW DOM and cross $300M by the end of ST2's OW. Probably finish around $400-450M DOM(probably closer to the lower end of that scale). OS I can see $500M probably. It'll be close but I think $1B WW is achievable, however it'll be difficult.
I'd have to agree with your new one though. I didn't think it would get that high, but given how well it's being received this could really catch fire like Avengers did.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 PM   #444
Superhero 101
DESI

I don't know if it can hit 170 million OW because of the AMC and Regal Entertainment quarrel. hopefully it is settled by then

Old 04-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #445
Mr. Dent

Yeah I really hope that doesn't empede it's potential. I don't want another TDKR on out hands where we will always wonder what could have been...

Old 04-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #446
xeno000
Raining hell from above

The newest tracking numbers for the domestic market have risen just as I expected that they would. Those polls usually err on the low side when it comes to the biggest blockbusters, so when they were predicting first $125M, then $151M OW for IM3 I was certain that they would prove wrong over time.

My prediction was for $180M OW and I'm holding with that. It's entirely possible for the movie to pull that much, given the positive buzz and the massive anticipation for it among the general public.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #447
Mr. Dent

I don't think it can hit that. I mean, that would make it the second highest opening ever behind Avengers. That would be crazy. No one's even near predicting that right now.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 AM   #448
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The newest tracking numbers for the domestic market have risen just as I expected that they would. Those polls usually err on the low side when it comes to the biggest blockbusters, so when they were predicting first $125M, then $151M OW for IM3 I was certain that they would prove wrong over time.

My prediction was for $180M OW and I'm holding with that. It's entirely possible for the movie to pull that much, given the positive buzz and the massive anticipation for it among the general public.
Only thing that could derail that is Marvel's ongoing negotiations with the 3 major theater chains breaking down and the movie not being shown opening week there.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #449
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

I'm 99.999999% sure all this theater chain drama will be settled before the film opens in 8 days.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:52 AM   #450
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Well, this film is making a killing here in the Philippines. Highest opening day ever surpassing Avengers and Spider-Man 3.

Closed Thread