The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #626
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

P.S. It was more than Ledger that made TDK significant. Otherwise, nobody would have been outraged in 2008 when it got snubbed for an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. It was a remarkably told story that greatly impacted people at the time. I do agree that the latest entry does not do that.

--John Adams
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #627
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrowe View Post
p.s. It was more than ledger that made tdk significant. Otherwise, nobody would have been outraged in 2008 when it got snubbed for an oscar nomination for best picture. It was a remarkably told story that greatly impacted people at the time. I do agree that the latest entry does not do that.
i agree.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #628
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros View Post
Like I said, Ledgers performance rose himself and the movie up another level. No character in TDKR did that.
To each their own. While I don't think Hardy's performance as Bane carried the film to another level, I did feel his portrayal as Bane to be very underrated, but simply, I feel TDKR is definitely a great film. I mean, to be mentioned with only three other CBMs(TDK, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man) to ever be placed in AFI's top ten list...that says something, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
P.S. It was more than Ledger that made TDK significant. Otherwise, nobody would have been outraged in 2008 when it got snubbed for an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. It was a remarkably told story that greatly impacted people at the time. I do agree that the latest entry does not do that.
Color me outraged if TDKR isn't nominated for an Oscar, though.

But, anyways, it will take me years to get everyone to agree with me about TDKR, lol, so let's go back to The Master...you still think it has a chance at the Academy Awards then, DACrowe? You said you feel like voters will be obligated to vote for it, and I indeed hope so. Only in a dream world would every favorite film of mine for this year gets nominated, though, lol.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #629
Demon Hunter
Side-Kick

Why does critics seem to prefer Skyfall over TDKR? I kinda missed the extraordinariness of Skyfall... apparently.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #630
Anno_Domini
Banned User

It's complicated, really. I've seen more top ten lists with TDKR than Skyfall, although you wouldn't know it when on RT Skyfall has 91% of top critics while TDKR only has 76%, but TDKR has 92% with the audience liking it while Skyfall has 88% in that area.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #631
Robin91939
Master Tim

My main gripe is that The Dark Knight was a film that changed popular culture and has REMAINED in the consciousness of popular culture AND cinema for the 4 years since its release.

No film nominated in 2008, certainly not the film that won (Slumdog Millionaire) can say the same. The Dark Knight was a transcendent film. It was a Michael Mann/Christopher McQuarrie crime-thriller meets a James Cameron tent-pole action film, meets a superhero film, meets a social commentary.

My main question with awards like this is usually, "Which of these great, worthy films of any given year will most fondly and vividly be remembered 10-15 years from now?"

I would say that in 2008 that film would be The Dark Knight. In 2009? Avatar. In 2010? Inception. In 2011? This was a strange year. I felt The Descendants and Moneyball were stronger films than The Artist, but I get it...

As far as this year, I feel that The Dark Knight Rises needs to be nominated just on resonance alone. As a part of a whole, and as a film on its own it is wholly deserving. This will be a film that will be remembered and talked about much longer than a Moonrise Kingdom, etc. This is a film that was part of a trilogy that was a game-changer for a genre. A trilogy that made a genre truly credible. Reward it. Make it TRULY credible and deem it legitimate.

If there are ten nominations, The Dark Knight Rises should sneak in.

1.) Argo
2.) Amour
3.) Beasts of the Southern Wild
4.) Django Unchained
5.) The Dark Knight Rises
6.) Les Miserables
7.) Life of Pi
8.) Lincoln
9.) Silver Linings Playbook
10.) Zero Dark Thirty

(alphabetical)

-R

Last edited by Robin91939; 12-15-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #632
Demon Hunter
Side-Kick

Why does RT give Skyfall 91%? I mean I can't get what's so special about it. I saw the movie... it was okay, but nothing more.
Anno_Domini, Rises appears to be 87% not 76% on RT

Old 12-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #633
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Agreed. I love Ledger in the role and thought he was great, but he's not the only reason TDK was so well-received and so good.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #634
gugumugats
SKIDOOOOOSH!!

Is there a particular reason Nolan usually gets snubbed for the Oscars? I've heard about a bunch of stuff involving politics or something like that.

Dr. Walter Bishop: Oh - That's too bad. You'll have to shock her heart then.

-FRINGE
Old 12-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #635
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Thumbs up Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Agreed

- The Joker
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #636
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Wall It's par for the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
My main gripe is that The Dark Knight was a film that changed popular culture and has REMAINED in the consciousness of popular culture AND cinema for the 4 years since its release.

No film nominated in 2008, certainly not the film that won (Slumdog Millionaire) can say the same. The Dark Knight was a transcendent film. It was a Michael Mann/Christopher McQuarrie crime-thriller meets a James Cameron tent-pole action film, meets a superhero film, meets a social commentary.
Same way I feel about The Matrix. IMO, that film was a landmark achievement in contemporary cinema; the Wachowskis expertly blended a near-endless level of philosophical depth with pop culture appeal, and it resulted in an unusually deep mainstream movie. What was The Matrix recognized for by the Academy? Sound Mixing and Visual Effects. Sure, it swept the particular categories for which it was given the nod, but there was far more to that movie than special effects and sound...

My point is that the Academy is so pretentious and off the wall that it isn't even worth getting worked up about. I don't think that there's a shred of integrity within the entire organization; it's a grandiose dog & pony show IMO. I'm sure we've all seen plenty of films that were so well executed in every objective measure by contemporary film standards(aesthetically or otherwise) that stand about a snowball's chance in Hell of winning an Oscar, let alone getting a nod.

Is that to say that every film recognized should be pushed aside? Certainly not, but there is indeed such a thing as Oscar bait, and I have a firm belief that such movies suffer because of it. I'm not a fan of TDKR(or the rest of the trilogy, or that matter), but I see where you're coming from.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #637
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Hunter View Post
Why does RT give Skyfall 91%? I mean I can't get what's so special about it. I saw the movie... it was okay, but nothing more.

You have a few "top critics" that are Nolan haters....plain and simple.

They hated on TDK and Inception also.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #638
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

For some reason the Academy seems to be more accepting of Christmas blockbusters (Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Titanic) than summer blockbusters. What was the last big summer film that they took seriously (as in more than just a token nomination like Inception)? Gladiator?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #639
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Top critics my friend. Not the 'All Critics' area.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #640
burns826
Newbie First Class

Quote:
As far as this year, I feel that The Dark Knight Rises needs to be nominated just on resonance alone. As a part of a whole, and as a film on its own it is wholly deserving. This will be a film that will be remembered and talked about much longer than a Moonrise Kingdom, etc. This is a film that was part of a trilogy that was a game-changer for a genre. A trilogy that made a genre truly credible. Reward it. Make it TRULY credible and deem it legitimate.

1.) Argo
2.) Armour
4.) Django Unchained
6.) Les Miserables
7.) Life of Pi
8.) Lincoln
10.) Zero Dark Thirty

(alphabetical)

-R
I absolutely agree. It seems right now that TDKR is either 11 or 12, just outside the potential 10 nominations. I would hope the Academy takes into consideration the genre-defining success of the trilogy as a whole when deciding the final nominations.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #641
Polaris23
Side-Kick

Quote:

My main question with awards like this is usually, "Which of these great, worthy films of any given year will most fondly and vividly be remembered 10-15 years from now?"

I would say that in 2008 that film would be The Dark Knight. In 2009? Avatar. In 2010? Inception. In 2011? This was a strange year. I felt The Descendants and Moneyball were stronger films than The Artist, but I get it...

1.) Argo
2.) Armour
4.) Django Unchained
6.) Les Miserables
7.) Life of Pi
8.) Lincoln
10.) Zero Dark Thirty

(alphabetical)

-R
I agree with you, my friend. Wholeheartedly.

Check it out:
www.PolarisCastillo.com
&
www.facebook.com/makeLovetomeinSpace
Old 12-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #642
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

1.) Argo
2.) Armour
4.) Django Unchained
6.) Les Miserables
7.) Life of Pi
8.) Lincoln
10.) Zero Dark Thirty

(alphabetical)

-R
You make some sense and all, but....what about The Master? That HAS to be nominated for an Oscar, imo.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 PM   #643
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Right on, Robin91939.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #644
Agent Orange
Side-Kick

It's unfortunate (and in my view, undeserving) but Skyfall is definitely going to get the "blockbuster" nomination. The Academy loves Mendes.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #645
Eros
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
It's unfortunate (and in my view, undeserving) but Skyfall is definitely going to get the "blockbuster" nomination. The Academy loves Mendes.

I really liked skyfall, but it could of been so much more. Raoul silva had limited screen time sadly, The Bond girl died midway into the movie [Eve does not count]. I was expecting more and I was disappointed.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #646
burns826
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
This is also how I feel at the moment. It is kind of ironic too in that The Dark Knight was left out of the best picture category with The Reader the one many felt undeservedly took its place. The Reader starred another Academy favorite Kate Winslet, former wife of Sam Mendes.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #647
Raoul Duke
Banned User

i think skyfall is a vastly superior film to rises. and i think rises is a great film. but it's simply too sloppy. skyfall is much sharper, particularly with the screenplay.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #648
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
Rotten Tomatoes doesn't measure how postivie the reviews are, just whether or not they are positive.

One movie coult get 50 7/10s
and another other 40 10/10/s and a few Armond White style negative reviews and the first film would have a higher tomato meter.

Many people thought Skyfall was great at what it did.

Others felt it was just ok.

Very few held squarely negative views of the film.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #649
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugumugats View Post
Is there a particular reason Nolan usually gets snubbed for the Oscars? I've heard about a bunch of stuff involving politics or something like that.
TDKR got a lot of criticism in some parts of the British press for not being left wing enough. That seems stupid to me, but it is clear that the arts establishment are always unwilling to laud anything that is "off message".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
i think skyfall is a vastly superior film to rises. and i think rises is a great film. but it's simply too sloppy. skyfall is much sharper, particularly with the screenplay.
I completely agree- Skyfall is twice the film that TDKR was.

I am sorry that no Nolan Batmovie will get any recognition at the Oscars, but the fact is that it should have been TDK if any. Giving it to TDKR would be bizarre- it is a relatively weak follow up to TDK, and objectively a fairly run of the mill action movie.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #650
BatmanBeyond
Future Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
I completely agree- Skyfall is twice the film that TDKR was.

I am sorry that no Nolan Batmovie will get any recognition at the Oscars, but the fact is that it should have been TDK if any. Giving it to TDKR would be bizarre- it is a relatively weak follow up to TDK, and objectively a fairly run of the mill action movie.
While I don't agree with the description for TDKR, I definitely agree that if any of Nolan's batmovies deserved to receive Oscar recognition, it was TDK. I'm still boggled that it didn't win anything other than Ledger getting the nod for best supporting actor. I'd argue that TDKR's soundtrack should receive a nomination at least, as I think that Zimmer's work on it for TDKR was the best in the trilogy.

Also, I need to see Skyfall.

Cracked.com's Bat Battle: http://www.cracked.com/article_15029...ie-batman.html
Closed Thread