Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #901
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
The more and more his career continues, I just feel, deep down, he's going to be the new Kubrick, in terms of lack of recognition.

I mean, it still amazes me to this day that Kubrick hasn't got an Academy Award for his work. I'm not the most diehard of Kubrick fans but just based on Full Metal Jacket, the Shining, and 2001 alone, that guy should've had 3 Oscars without fail. EASILY.

Not saying Nolan's at that level yet but how does a guy who directs Memento, Knight, and Inception not get a best director nomination? Especially when you look at the competition each year those films were released....
This is why the awards hold no credence, at least to me. Besides Kubrick, which is egregious enough in my book, they decided to give Scorsese an Oscar, basically out of pity, for a movie that IMO is nowhere near the quality of a Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Aviator, Gangs of NY or Goodfellas. It was basically a "lifetime achievement/we screwed up a couple times" award. It's really ridiculous actually, and I hope Nolan, nor his fans, base his body of work on the number of Academy Award credentials he has.

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #902
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I actually really, really love The Departed but of course, it's a joke that it took them so long to recognize Scorcese.

I mean the thing with Nolan is he's only 40, he's got so much filmmaking ahead of him and what he's accomplished already is pretty staggering. As much as it was the elephant in the room when TDK didn't get nominated, I think it was also the elephant in the room when he didn't get a best director nom for Inception. Everybody who accepted awards for the movie that night made it clear how much of a debt they owed to Nolan and just how much they respected him. It made the Academy look pretty damn foolish. So even if the guy never gets an Oscar, he's already secured his place in cinema history and he's barely into his second decade as a filmmaker.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #903
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I actually really, really love The Departed but of course, it's a joke that it took them so long to recognize Scorcese.

I mean the thing with Nolan is he's only 40, he's got so much filmmaking ahead of him and what he's accomplished already is pretty staggering. As much as it was the elephant in the room when TDK didn't get nominated, I think it was also the elephant in the room when he didn't get a best director nom for Inception. Everybody who accepted awards for the movie that night made it clear how much of a debt they owed to Nolan and just how much they respected him. It made the Academy look pretty damn foolish. So even if the guy never gets an Oscar, he's already secured his place in cinema history and he's barely into his second decade as a filmmaker.
I definitely agree. I own Departed, it is a good film, I'm just looking at it in the same context as those other films he made, and the disparity is pretty big to me. I believe the same kind of thing will probably happen to Nolan, if he continues to make the "smart-summer" movie, in the vein of TDK trilogy & Inception.

I believe he has a real knack for that type of movie, able to infuse the big spectacle with some intelligence. I hope the lack of Academy love doesn't lead him into the sappy, melodramatic drivel they tend to favor.

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather

"
White people give him the same compliments: 'He speaks so well! 'He speaks so well' is not a compliment, okay? 'He speaks so well' is some **** you say about retarded people that can talk."
-
Chris Rock
Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 PM   #904
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Samson View Post
I definitely agree. I own Departed, it is a good film, I'm just looking at it in the same context as those other films he made, and the disparity is pretty big to me. I believe the same kind of thing will probably happen to Nolan, if he continues to make the "smart-summer" movie, in the vein of TDK trilogy & Inception.

I believe he has a real knack for that type of movie, able to infuse the big spectacle with some intelligence. I hope the lack of Academy love doesn't lead him into the sappy, melodramatic drivel they tend to favor.
I kind of doubt that would happen. Nolan seems very driven by a pure desire to make the movie that he wants to see, and it's worked out for him because his tastes seem to fall in line with what the masses want to see. He's much more concerned with reaching an audience than pandering to the Academy.

So yeah, if he ever deviated from that course it would be a true shame. I don't think so though. I think he'll just continue to make Christopher Nolan movies, and we'll all just make him richer and richer

Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #905
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Nolan is long overdue for a Best Director nomination. I'd love for him to finally get one this time around.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #906
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Not for TDKR... but he'll get it.

Soon.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #907
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

While I won't argue that The Departed is one of Scorsese's masterpieces, what were the movies that year that combined The Departed's critical success and popularity? Was it pity or a weak year (at least for American films)?

Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #908
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

As many problems as I have with Inception, Nolan still should've gotten a best director nomination for that film. A shame. But like somebody said, he is only forty and has his whole career in front him, he will get one eventually, as long as he continues to make awesome films.

But he deserves nothing for TDKR.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #909
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Honest trailers really nailed the movie for me. I've really begun to grow irritated over all the "injury time" we have to endure during the film, and it's really, really, really, poorly paced. Ugh, just not Oscar-worthy.

Definitely a little Threequelitis,

Cinematography was great though.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #910
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Cinematography was great though.
Batman vs Bane is Wally Pfister's magnum opus.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #911
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is why the awards hold no credence, at least to me. Besides Kubrick, which is egregious enough in my book, they decided to give Scorsese an Oscar, basically out of pity, for a movie that IMO is nowhere near the quality of a Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Aviator, Gangs of NY or Goodfellas. It was basically a "lifetime achievement/we screwed up a couple times" award. It's really ridiculous actually, and I hope Nolan, nor his fans, base his body of work on the number of Academy Award credentials he has.
Awards are a product of of their time. They hold no value as time passes by . It's something instant. Oscar's are hollywood guys giving handjobs to each other. People right now have access to all sorts of information and are able to form their opinions , something that wasn't entirely possible in the past. It might have been glamorous a long time ago , but this sort of ceremony is getting meaningless and meaningless.

You brought a good example , Kubrick. Who gives a rat's ass he didnt won one ? Maybe him during that time but his legacy is something much more extraordinary. He's unanimously regarded as one of the greatest artists of the last century. His work shaped film making , and his influences in so many filmmakers is something an award never achieves.

Kurosawa to me is the greatest storyteller of all time (in any medium). He got some stupid honorary award , that means absolutely nothing. His work speaks by itself. That's why i never understand why fans of some particular movies or director , tend to get annoyed when those projects/persons dont get recognition by some stupid award.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #912
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

DGA Nominations:

Ben Affleck, Argo

Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty

Ang Lee, Life of Pi

Tom Hooper, Les Miserables

Nolan was nominated for DGA for both TDK and Inception. It's looking bleak guys.

But this Hooper guy must be good "orator" to be receiving so much undeserving love. First his win over Fincher, now this for the most jarring direction I've ever seen in a musical.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #913
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Congrats to Ben Affleck, this bodes well for an Oscar nom for him. One that I hope he'll win. No love for PTA though, eh?

Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #914
kvz5
HBIC

Lee!

Hooper

Old 01-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #915
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Holy crap , outside of Ang Lee , thats a boring list of directors.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #916
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

That vomit gif is how I felt about that particular nom. Just watch him win his second Oscar for directing. And just laugh at it, this time.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

I SUPPORT GIVING BATFLECK A CHANCE.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #917
J.Howlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
DGA Nominations:

Ben Affleck, Argo

Steven Spielberg, Lincoln

Kathryn Bigelow, Zero Dark Thirty

Ang Lee, Life of Pi

Tom Hooper, Les Miserables

Nolan was nominated for DGA for both TDK and Inception. It's looking bleak guys.

But this Hooper guy must be good "orator" to be receiving so much undeserving love. First his win over Fincher, now this for the most jarring direction I've ever seen in a musical.
It was over on July 20th. I'm not surprised by anything when it comes to recognition for Rises. The highlight for Rises during awards season? A spot on the AFI's Top Ten List. That's it.

Incredible. Considering what I saw last year, there are only three films better than Rises. Just three.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:42 PM   #918
weezerspider
Side-Kick

I love Nolan and he deserved a nomination for TDK, but I think those nominated for Best Director in 2010 all deserved more than Nolan for Inception. 2010 was a strong year. Its very similar this year. Nolan's a great director, but there are easily five people who have directed stronger films this year. Hell, its a crime PTA is getting so little love.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #919
atomicbattery
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
It was over on July 20th. I'm not surprised by anything when it comes to recognition for Rises. The highlight for Rises during awards season? A spot on the AFI's Top Ten List. That's it.

Incredible. Considering what I saw last year, there are only three films better than Rises. Just three.
Yeah, I guess it was.
I truly love this film, but must admit that my stomach turns a bit when Selina says (paraphrasing) "not sure if I agree with you on the whole guns thing." It takes me out of the film and right back to Aurora.

I must say that I haven't seen any films this year that I thought were better than Rises. And up until now I haven't been what anyone would call a 'Nolanite'. I've admired his films but have not loved them.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #920
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
While I won't argue that The Departed is one of Scorsese's masterpieces, what were the movies that year that combined The Departed's critical success and popularity? Was it pity or a weak year (at least for American films)?
Popularity never plays a role in the Academy's decisions, if that were the case, Nolan would've gotten that nomination by now, for sure. But personally, I think Paul Greengrass with United 93 could've laid stake to the award that year just as much as Scorsese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerspider View Post
I love Nolan and he deserved a nomination for TDK, but I think those nominated for Best Director in 2010 all deserved more than Nolan for Inception. 2010 was a strong year. Its very similar this year. Nolan's a great director, but there are easily five people who have directed stronger films this year. Hell, its a crime PTA is getting so little love.
I agree. If it were going to happen, it should've happened for TDK. As much as I love TDKR (probably more than most around here) I don't think this is the year for that nomination. Not for that.

- Floyd Mayweather

"
-
Chris Rock

Last edited by Doc Samson; 01-08-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #921
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Popularity never plays a role in the Academy's decisions, if that were the case, Nolan would've gotten that nomination by now, for sure. But personally, I think Paul Greengrass with United 93 could've laid stake to the award that year just as much as Scorsese.
Popularity plays a role. A movie that bombs at the box office is NEVER nominated. Making money is no guarantee of a nomination, but bombing is a straight up disqualification. See Children of Men for an example.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:13 AM   #922
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
Saw Les Mis tonight. Excellent, especially from a directorial standpoint (and especially especially the cinematography). Did you see it?

Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 AM   #923
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Miserables is not a good film. The direction of this film is bland, uninspired and does not make use of the cinematic format. The cinematography is awful, meaningless and straight up jarring at points as a result. the two leads are poorly cast and even more poorly directed. I do not understand the praise for this movie.

Last edited by TheBat812; 01-09-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #924
kvz5
HBIC

BAFTA:

SPECIAL VISUAL EFFECTS

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Paul Franklin, Chris Corbould, Peter Bebb, Andrew Lockley
THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, R. Christopher White
LIFE OF PI Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer
MARVEL AVENGERS ASSEMBLE Nominees TBC
PROMETHEUS Richard Stammers, Charley Henley, Trevor Wood, Paul Butterworth

Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #925
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Disappointing... but expected.

Wally should have been nomainated at the very least.

Oh well.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Closed Thread