Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #201
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: TDKR Oscar Chances? - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Yeah? Ya got some as detailed as that one?
I need to waste my time as you are trying to prove a point?

You're not convincing others who liked and loved TDKR and I won't be convincing you into liking or loving TDKR anytime soon.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #202
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tequilla View Post
So funny to read detailed misinterpretations. Ultimately cringe-worthy ...but still funny (nolan didnt get it ahahahaha. So idiotic)

What i've actually understand now is how a lot of people didn't understand TDK ending , and Bruce sacrifice.
Ha, ya I agree, Fudgie, you can post opinion pieces all you want, but I still fundamentally disagree with a lot of the complaints leveled there. You posting more of them is not going to change my mind, it just reinforces a lack of understanding of filmmaking by the writers of those articles in a lot of ways. They also have blatant misunderstanding's of what the film is trying to tell/show us in certain places.

Last edited by TheBat812; 10-29-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #203
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I agree. Posting those articles proves nothing except that some bloggers agree with you. Which we already know. Fudgie, check out the Nostalgia critic's TDKR on YouTube, you'll love it. He rips it for the LOS motivation. I highly disagree with what he's saying for reasons I detailed in my last post- which for the record I don't think has been sufficiently debunked- in this thread or otherwise. None of those articles pertain to any of the points I made.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #204
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Ha, ya I agree, Fudgie, you can post opinion pieces all you want, but I still fundamentally disagree with a lot of the complaints leveled there. You posting more of them is not going to change my mind, it just reinforces a lack of understanding of filmmaking by the writers of those articles in a lot of ways. They also have blatant misunderstanding's of what the film is trying to tell/show us in certain places.

Exactly. It's just a personal opinion of certain people who were blatantly looking for any reasons not to like the film.

Can it be anymore obvious?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #205
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I need to waste my time as you are trying to prove a point?
The point I'm proving is there's so many criticisms noted by so many people. All the conjecture used to try and defend it by the same 3 people on this forum is never found plastered all over the net.

Quote:
You're not convincing others who liked and loved TDKR and I won't be convincing you into liking or loving TDKR anytime soon.
Heh I'm not trying to change your mind of a thing. I'm proving my point by showing you great analysis that lots of others share.

Quote:
Another one who thinks his mind is trying to be changed. It's cute that you think I care enough about you Mr. Stranger I never met to try and change your mind. Got a mighty high opinion of yourself.

It's even cuter that you think all of these people don't get it and just you lot who liked the movie did. Ignorance is bliss.

Heh it's no wonder that poor critic woman who gave it a negative review got death threats from the Rises fanboys. She must not have "understood" it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Fudgie, check out the Nostalgia critic's TDKR on YouTube, you'll love it. He rips it for the LOS motivation.
Looooove that review;

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
I highly disagree with what he's saying for reasons I detailed in my last post- which for the record I don't think has been sufficiently debunked- in this thread or otherwise. None of those articles pertain to any of the points I made.
Ehhh yeah they do. You posted a load of conjecture that ya can't find anywhere else but ya can find plenty of people who believe the Bane motive was bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Exactly. It's just a personal opinion of certain people who were blatantly looking for any reasons not to like the film.
Ya don't need to look for reasons. You're spoiled for choice for reasons. There's piles and piles of them all over the net. It's easy as pie.

As for what ya just said, I'm gonna say to you what you always say when ya see people slamming the movie; that's like your opinion man.

Quote:
Can it be anymore obvious?
Only obvious thing is two of you think your minds are trying to be changed and the only defense ya all have is the people who don't like the movie didn't understand it.

Too funny for words.

Last edited by Fudgie; 10-29-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #206
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
The point I'm proving is there's so many criticisms noted by so many people. All the conjecture used to try and defend it by the same 3 people on this forum is never found plastered all over the net.
So the criticisms of a few reviews here and there make up for the millions of people out there? No, no, I don't buy it that the reviews that you show up covers what the majority think. And nor do I even read into what those reviews have to say because frankly, I see TDKR as a phenomenal movie. Too bad you want to keep trying to suggest that it isn't, although you're probably doing this only so you can win our bet in January

Quote:
Heh I'm not trying to change your mind of a thing. I'm proving my point by showing you great analysis that lots of others share.
But what's your point? Your point is your opinion that differs than others. Like I said, you can't force your opinion unto others as you seem to be trying to do. You don't have a point, you have an opinion when TDKR simply is a good movie from many other reviews as 34 top critics give it a positive review on RT while only 11 give it a negative review.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #207
Victarion
Cut

Regardless, this movie is certified Fresh on RT. That counts for something doesn't it?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #208
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
So the criticisms of a few reviews here and there make up for the millions of people out there? No, no, I don't buy it that the reviews that you show up covers what the majority think.
What millions? Ya don't know the opinions of millions. I never said I did either. I said I was posting samples of the truck loads of bad reviews and comments about the lame-o things in this movie.

Quote:
And nor do I even read into what those reviews have to say because frankly, I see TDKR as a phenomenal movie.
Figures. Can't even read a different point of view to your own.

Quote:
Too bad you want to keep trying to suggest that it isn't, although you're probably doing this only so you can win our bet in January
That one's in the bag for me. Sure as sugar.

Quote:
But what's your point? Your point is your opinion that differs than others. Like I said, you can't force your opinion unto others as you seem to be trying to do.
My point is showing lots of other great analysis that show the points I'm making. Using alternate sources to show your point is always good.

Quote:
You don't have a point, you have an opinion
Heh and so do you. Congrats.

Quote:
when TDKR simply is a good movie from many other reviews as 34 top critics give it a positive review on RT while only 11 give it a negative review.
Ooooh but they don't have a point, they have an opinion. Isn't that right?

Bet you say the same about these Oscar judges, too, who were not impressed at all by Rises: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...-oscars-judges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Regardless, this movie is certified Fresh on RT. That counts for something doesn't it?
So does Spider-Man 3. Nothing to brag about. Plenty of sucky movies got fresh ratings on there.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #209
Victarion
Cut

Agreed Fudgie, with the exception of TDKR's flaws being nowhere near as bad as SM3's.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #210
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
You posting more of them is not going to change my mind, it just reinforces a lack of understanding of filmmaking by the writers of those articles in a lot of ways. They also have blatant misunderstanding's of what the film is trying to tell/show us in certain places.
I have no tolerance for blind attitudes like that. It's one thing to disagree with someone's point of view, but to say they just don't get or understand the movie is the height of ignorance. This movie was not complicated. It's very easy to understand it's story. The fact of the matter is not everyone feels Nolan executed or accomplished the kind of good things you think he did. That goes for Begins and TDK, too, which also have their detractors.

That's the only real truth here. Btw doesn't this basically answer the question of this thread:

Quote:
Bet you say the same about these Oscar judges, too, who were not impressed at all by Rises: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...-oscars-judges
The Oscar chances of TDKR look very slim if that's anything to go by. I doubt it's because they failed to understand the movie or film making either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Agreed Fudgie, with the exception of TDKR's flaws being nowhere near as bad as SM3's.
Nothing in TDKR is as bad as the Peter Parker dance scenes or that awful scene with Harry's butler.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 10-29-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #211
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

To me it's like Dark of the Moon with way better dialogue and no poop jokes (both things being improvement). It's good and entertaining but mostly very ridiculous. I really had fun with the movie but I can't, in good conscious, say its great.

I can say, what they did, is made a third parter that provided a satisfactory OVERALL ending to the trilogy.

It's a slightly worse ROTJ.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #212
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
What millions? Ya don't know the opinions of millions. I never said I did either. I said I was posting samples of the truck loads of bad reviews and comments about the lame-o things in this movie.
And that's fine if you agree on those reviews, but I don't understand why you'd persist on showing them, that's all.

Quote:
Figures. Can't even read a different point of view to your own.
You misunderstand me my friend. I didn't "read into them" as in take them into acknowledgment as I don't view the same way. That's all. I've read many negative reviews already.

Quote:
That one's in the bag for me. Sure as sugar.
Haha, keeping thinking that.

Quote:
My point is showing lots of other great analysis that show the points I'm making. Using alternate sources to show your point is always good.
Okay, it's fine to show, but don't persist on it after the film's been released. We get it, some people didn't like it.

Quote:
Heh and so do you. Congrats.
And I didn't say I have a point either, lol.

Quote:
Ooooh but they don't have a point, they have an opinion. Isn't that right?
Clever

Quote:
Although perhaps they didn't rather tell how they really felt?

Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #213
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I have no tolerance for blind attitudes like that. It's one thing to disagree with someone's point of view, but to say they just don't get or understand the movie is the height of ignorance. This movie was not complicated. It's very easy to understand it's story. The fact of the matter is not everyone feels Nolan executed or accomplished the kind of good things you think he did. That goes for Begins and TDK, too, which also have their detractors.
QFT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
To me it's like Dark of the Moon with way better dialogue and no poop jokes (both things being improvement). It's good and entertaining but mostly very ridiculous. I really had fun with the movie but I can't, in good conscious, say its great.

I can say, what they did, is made a third parter that provided a satisfactory OVERALL ending to the trilogy.

It's a slightly worse ROTJ.
Yup I can't see how it could be called great either.

Quote:
And that's fine if you agree on those reviews, but I don't understand why you'd persist on showing them, that's all.
Same reason some persist in posting the same conjecture. They're trying to make a point.

Quote:
You misunderstand me my friend. I didn't "read into them" as in take them into acknowledgment as I don't view the same way. That's all. I've read many negative reviews already.
'kay. I can dig that.

Quote:
Haha, keeping thinking that.
Truth always fills my mind.

Quote:
Okay, it's fine to show, but don't persist on it after the film's been released. We get it, some people didn't like it.
I ain't persisting. This is like the first time I've done it.

Quote:
And I didn't say I have a point either, lol.
Goodie. So to you nobody has a point. We're all just babbling.

Quote:
Clever
Thank you sir.

Quote:
Although perhaps they didn't rather tell how they really felt?
Eh??? Why would they lie?

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 AM   #214
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is incredibly ironic considering I've already said I understand why people have these views, I just don't agree, yet you have not once admitted that our viewpoint is completely within reason.

The problems are not that it's complex, but that Nolan is using classic story techniques that people now view as 'mistakes' because they don't understand story convention and that things don't have to always be 100% realistic if they are stronger thematically and character wise for it. Whether that happens is pretty subjective, but there are clearly many who agree it was a strategy that completely worked for them and enhanced the movie for it. I agree either way it's simply a matter of opinion, but it is unfair to say a film needs more of this, more of that, without ever giving any idea of how structurally that would be feasible.

The film tried to squeeze a novel's worth of material into a conventional movie time slot, and mostly succeeded, trusting the audience more than most films ever dare. That was its problem. It worked for me, didn't work for you, simple as that. It's strengths significantly outweighed any potential problems. But to talk about these issues as problematic from an objective viewpoint as you guys do is exactly the equivalent as what you just accused me of doing.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #215
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

TDKR is too "comic-booky" for the Academy. Simply put. Doesn't matter how good the public thought it was. The Academy has a certain "type" of movie. We all know that.

If TDK couldn't get a BP nom, no superhero movie ever will. Unfortunate, but true. It was as far from a superhero movie that one could get without actually ditching the costumes. The fact that it got them to change the number of nominations is its BP legacy.

Last edited by Anita18; 10-30-2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 AM   #216
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...-oscars-judges

More than TDKR can afford me thinks.
That reaction was gauged from one showing of the film barely hours i believe after the aurora shootings. Even in the article it mentions people not even wanting to discuss the film after it ended due to the circumstances. Not the best period to judge the film.

I believe in previous screenings later on (as there are always several) the reaction was much more positive.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #217
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Quote:
Considering some guy posted an article that hinted the filmmaker didnt understand the movie he made...that's ironic as hell.

Of course its the height of ignorance. That's actually the problem.

One thing is not liking what nolan "executed or tried to accomplish". Other is to completely not understand what he tried to achieve.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #218
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

It never really felt like an occupation either. I remember watching it thinking "what is everyone doing for five months? who is running the water? Why is everyone still clean? Why hasn't sh** backed up everywhere?"

Old 10-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #219
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
That reaction was gauged from one showing of the film barely hours i believe after the aurora shootings. Even in the article it mentions people not even wanting to discuss the film after it ended due to the circumstances. Not the best period to judge the film.
Nope:

Quote:
"People were kind of disappointed," one academy member told the magazine. "It wasn't because of [Colorado]. I just don't think that this picture will get any nominations [beyond technical nods]."
Quote:
"There was nothing remarkable about the acting," said another academy member. "I don't think it can be nominated as best picture."
Quote:
The writer Bret Easton Ellis, who is also an academy member, later tweeted: "Not that it really matters, but there was zero love for The Dark Knight Rises at the packed academy screening in Los Angeles tonight."
They just didn't like it and said it wasn't anything to do with the shootings.

Quote:
I believe in previous screenings later on (as there are always several) the reaction was much more positive.
Link?

Quote:
It never really felt like an occupation either. I remember watching it thinking "what is everyone doing for five months? who is running the water? Why is everyone still clean? Why hasn't sh** backed up everywhere?"
Yup. Movie was rushed. No reason given why we should give a damn about Gotham because the people were glossed over.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #220
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
I don't think Bane's men would begrudge anyone their running water.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #221
TheGuy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Trivial. Having them in the film would be good, but their exclusion didn't hurt either. The sentencings, blake's constant communication with the trapped police, short scenes of Selina during the occupation, etc. were enough for me, IMO. And I think Foley's arc served as Gothamite's arc. Really. At first, he was against Batman which everyone in Gotham is except for people like Blake and Gordon. And during the occupation, he naively believed someone had possession of the trigger. That's how everyone reacted because of the fear of detonation, again except for Blake and Gordon. And when Batman returned to save the city, he did a 180. Just like how Batman became the hero that he deserves he is.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #222
atomicbattery
Side-Kick

The Guardian article is often cited here as a sort of final word regarding Rises Oscar-worthiness. Here is less-noted quote from Deadline about the same screening:

"At least one observer told me reaction to the film itself was 'fantastic with much applause at the end.'"

http://www.deadline.com/2012/07/305012

Old 10-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #223
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post
The Guardian article is often cited here as a sort of final word regarding Rises Oscar-worthiness. Here is less-noted quote from Deadline about the same screening:

"At least one observer told me reaction to the film itself was 'fantastic with much applause at the end.'"

Exactly that other article is almost entirely based on the tweets of brett easton ellis the guy who's probably most notorious now for starting twitter feuds over 50 shades of grey castings.

The guy is known for starting controversy.

Quote:
At least one observer told me reaction to the film itself was “fantastic with much applause at the end”. Although it is far from the studio’s or anybody’s mind this weekend

Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #224
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbattery View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Exactly that other article is almost entirely based on the tweets of brett easton ellis the guy who's probably most notorious now for starting twitter feuds over 50 shades of grey castings.

The guy is known for starting controversy.
Sorry to prove you wrong again:

Quote:
We knew we were going to have a huge crowd even before the tragedy; a lot of people had been talking about coming. Even I, who normally would not come to this side of town to go to a movie, was planning on coming before the tragedy because it felt like a big summer movie and I wanted to see it,” Sherak told THR. “After what happened, you aren’t going to stand there and talk about it. Normally, I think there would be more conversation afterward. ... (During the screening) very few people moved. It’s a very intense movie, and it played really, really well."

However, another longtime Academy member, who regularly attends the Saturday night screenings, said there was only sporadic applause, that Academy members are very vocal when they like a movie and that they tend to give pictures that are going to get a lot of Oscar love a big ovation.

The Academy member said what he heard in the halls and elevator was that “people were kind of disappointed. It wasn’t because of (Colorado). I just don’t think that this picture will get any nominations (beyond technical nods)."

"There was nothing remarkable about the acting," said a female Academy member who regularly attends the Academy screenings. "I don’t think it can be nominated as best picture.”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...e-oscar-353114

It ain't just coming from Bret Easton. He's just saying what the others are saying as well. This movie ain't winning diddly squat at the Oscars. Ya can bank on it.

Last edited by Fudgie; 10-30-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #225
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Regardless we have someone's word vs someone elses. Someone saying there was a lot of applause and others saying there wasn't. So who know's? we weren't there.

Besides regardless of what anyone is quoted as saying seeing the film so soon after the tragedy had to have affected feelings and perceptions. All of this is being based on one showing again just one screening the day after aurora.

I'm sure a showing a few weeks or even months later would have a different feel to it.

Closed Thread