The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Ant-Man > Ant-Man

Old 09-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
mocomic
Philistian by choice

Default Out of the loop

Ant man,
About Pym or Scott Lang, I'm lost on current direction.

Also, please no Egghead stupidest villain concept. Well maybe most boring.

mocomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Ant-manic
Banned User

Default Re: Out of the loop

as it stands, there's only confirmation on Pym. there has been no real hints at the villain. it will probably not be a well known villain, though. and "Egghead" has as much potential as any other antagonist. it's all on how they use him. he didn't name himself Egghead by the way. that was a derogatory nickname given to him by the feds.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Wait, when did anyone confirm Pym being present in Ant-Man? Pym has been confirmed as *not* present in Avengers 2, but I don't recall any word on which Ant-Man would star in the titular movie.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

I just hope we see the Wasp soon.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Mr. Dent
Banned User

>.>

Quote:
SHH!: I think it's interesting that the Ant-Man you knew and grew up with was the Scott Lang one, since most people I would think know the one who hung with the Wasp in "Tales to Astonish."

Wright: Well, the thing is that what we want to do, the idea that we have for the adaptation is to actually involve both. Is to have a film that basically is about Henry Pym and Scott Lang, so you actually do a prologue where you see Pym as Ant-Man in action in the 60's, in sort of "Tales to Astonish" mode basically, and then the contemporary, sort of flash-forward, is Scott Lang's story, and how he comes to acquire the suit, how he crosses paths with Henry Pym, and then, in an interesting sort of Machiavellian way, teams up with him. So it's like an interesting thing, like the "Marvel Premiere" one that I read which is Scott Lang's origin, it's very brief like a lot of those origin comics are, and in a way, the details that are skipped through in the panels and the kind of thing we'd spend half an hour on.
Quote:
It doesn't really have elements of an entire strand or series, because Ant-Man is a character that over forty years, he's kind of cropped up in various different guises, and it's always interesting to me what elements of the character people latch onto. Everyone seems to latch onto the wife-beater elements. I'm not even sure if I read that particular story. I maybe read parts of it. You know, the only thing is that parts of it touch upon is the whole mythos, and basically, it's the story about Hank Pym and Scott Lang. Our big spin on it is an origin tale for one of them and kind of like a swan song for the other.

Interviewer: Are you going to be able to get the Wasp in there at all?

Wright: In a very roundabout way. We want to sort of leave some things for some future visions or spin-off things as well. It's difficult to tell forty years of Avengers history in one film, and I'd rather concentrate on two or three great characters.

Interviewer: You could probably make up a villain and it would be better than any of the Ant-Man villains in the comic books.

Wright: I don't think there's any villains from the original comics, I mean Ant-Man standalone, that are like famous enough to… I mean, in a way, one of the things that was sort of a high concept of characters so much is that you don't need to have a Marvel super-villain in the film. Ant-Man is enough in an otherwise kind of real world.

Wright: I think you got the sense with the original. I had lunch with Stan Lee and it was very interesting talking to him about Ant-Man because he said to me that he always felt like Ant-Man was a character that should have been bigger, and like they made mistakes, even just in the artwork, that sort of prevented him from doing that. It's kind of interesting. He said that he always felt that Ant-Man was a character that had more potential than it ever really delivered on. I like that Cold War stuff, it's great. Ant-Man taking on the Russkies single-handedly, it's funny.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Thanks for sharing that Mr. Dent! I guess the thing that worries me is that the "swan song" will be Hank's (the character stuck in the 60's) and Scott Lang will be the Ant-Man for the MCU if he's part of it at all. I'm sure the film will be great. It's Edgar Wright. I'm certainly intrigued.

But I'm a little wistful that we won't see the Hank and Janet dynamic like we got in EMH. But who knows? Get Kang and some time travel in there and anything can happen down the road...

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
Thanks for sharing that Mr. Dent! I guess the thing that worries me is that the "swan song" will be Hank's (the character stuck in the 60's) and Scott Lang will be the Ant-Man for the MCU if he's part of it at all. I'm sure the film will be great. It's Edgar Wright. I'm certainly intrigued.

But I'm a little wistful that we won't see the Hank and Janet dynamic like we got in EMH. But who knows? Get Kang and some time travel in there and anything can happen down the road...
no disrespect but that stuff above isn't confirmation of anything. i want that story. but there have been changes to the script since then. the last news on this was about Hank Pym being in it (and not in Avengers 2).

edgar-wright-confirms-well-meet-hank-pym-in-ant-man-884404416

that's why i said that Hank's the only confirmed character, at the moment. i suppose we'll all know more when they start casting.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
Mr. Dent
Banned User

they didn't change the core of the story, that's the story they always wanted to tell. scripts go through many drafts before being finalized, but that story is the Ant-Man story Wright always wanted to do and why Marvel brought him on. Given their comments on the matter, it's clear that basic plot is still the same.

Old 09-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
they didn't change the core of the story, that's the story they always wanted to tell. scripts go through many drafts before being finalized, but that story is the Ant-Man story Wright always wanted to do and why Marvel brought him on. Given their comments on the matter, it's clear that basic plot is still the same.
like i said, i want that story. but Wright hasn't truly confirmed anything about the plot. the signs pointed that way because they made Scott Lang Ant-Man in the books. but recent solicits show Hank Pym as Ant-Man. i don't know that we can predict what Wright will do.

Last edited by Ant-manic; 09-24-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I don't even know what you're talking about, but the comics are for synergy they don't match the movies. Hank Pym is taking up the Ant-Man person in Avengers AI again for maybe a brief time iirc, and Scott Lang has been Ant-Man for as long as he's been in the comics, but neither of those means one or the other will or will not be in the film.

What we know is that Wright CONFIRMED that the above plot is the story he wanted to tell, said at SDCC last year that the story is based on To Steal An Ant-Man, which is consistent with the above, and said what they were doing with Avengers didn't not fit with his movie (ie they couldn't use Hank) and Whedon said having Ultron in A2 lets Wright own the Ant-Man character the way he wants. There's absolutely no reason not to think that the above core story has changed at all, the opposite rather.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #11
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I don't even know what you're talking about, but the comics are for synergy they don't match the movies. Hank Pym is taking up the Ant-Man person in Avengers AI again for maybe a brief time iirc, and Scott Lang has been Ant-Man for as long as he's been in the comics, but neither of those means one or the other will or will not be in the film.

What we know is that Wright CONFIRMED that the above plot is the story he wanted to tell, said at SDCC last year that the story is based on To Steal An Ant-Man, which is consistent with the above, and said what they were doing with Avengers didn't not fit with his movie (ie they couldn't use Hank) and Whedon said having Ultron in A2 lets Wright own the Ant-Man character the way he wants. There's absolutely no reason not to think that the above core story has changed at all, the opposite rather.
what we are disagreeing upon is whether this constitutes confirmation or not. i don't think it does. when Wright starts talking about scott lang, i'll take that as confirmation. if you look at the news story that i posted, the actual interviewer interpreted (in error, by my estimation) it as "Wright says Pym is Ant-Man." you can argue with me. but the only confirmed characters is Hank Pym, at the moment. for all you know, they swapped out Scott for Janet.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
mocomic
Philistian by choice

Ok glad to hear Pym will be present.

My thoughts.
Let Hank Pym be say late 30's to early 40's, more mature than Scott Lang but not a grandpa figure. Scott needs to be late 20's maybe early 30's because Cassie would be a crucial motivation. So he has to be a young father.

I hate thinking we have to have origins stuck in the 60's. I'm a child of the 60's and I just see it causing problems going forward.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Ant-manic
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocomic View Post
Ok glad to hear Pym will be present.

My thoughts.
Let Hank Pym be say late 30's to early 40's, more mature than Scott Lang but not a grandpa figure. Scott needs to be late 20's maybe early 30's because Cassie would be a crucial motivation. So he has to be a young father.

I hate thinking we have to have origins stuck in the 60's. I'm a child of the 60's and I just see it causing problems going forward.
yeah, i think Wright's a little obsessed with the idea of Pym fighting communists (and the B-Horror movie angle of Pym's origin). i understand where he's coming from. but it will just make things messy. maybe he could just show Pym's origin in the style of one of those old movies; without it actually taking place during the cold war. the only other way i can see it playing out is blatantly change things so that Pym started being Ant-Man as a young teen.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
mocomic
Philistian by choice

To get that Cold War feel. Let Pym get involved with fall of Soviet Union and breakup of Yugoslavia . Surely there are potential black market items to keep away from terrorists. Could even involve early versions of Ten rings.Hydra, and AIM.

Just rambling thoughts.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocomic View Post
To get that Cold War feel. Let Pym get involved with fall of Soviet Union and breakup of Yugoslavia . Surely there are potential black market items to keep away from terrorists. Could even involve early versions of Ten rings.Hydra, and AIM.

Just rambling thoughts.
Wait...what?

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
mocomic
Philistian by choice

Ant- maniac said Wright is obsessed with Hank fighting communism. I merely was offering a different possible spin. I became a Pym fan before marvel turned him into a wife beater . Still think Goliath was his best incarnation.