The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
one4smoke
Side-Kick

Default Mountaintop Battle

My apologies if this has been addressed, but in the Mountaintop battle (one of my favorite scenes) what happened when Thor "put the hammer down" on Cap's shield? It was like something mystical happened. How could the shield withstand a blow from Mjolnir?

one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Default Re: Mountaintop Battle

Quote:
Originally Posted by one4smoke View Post
My apologies if this has been addressed, but in the Mountaintop battle (one of my favorite scenes) what happened when Thor "put the hammer down" on Cap's shield? It was like something mystical happened. How could the shield withstand a blow from Mjolnir?

Cap's shield is made of Vibranium, which can absorb blows by deadening the vibrations they cause. When the mythical metal is struck as hard as Thor hit it, the energy is too much for it to absorb so it reflects it back outward. So when Thor put the hammer down Cap's shield absorbed as much of the energy from that blow as it could and reflected the rest, which knocked the Thunder God back and flattened the surrounding forest.

The same thing happened when Cap fought the Chitauri holding hostages later in the film. His shield not only protected him from the aliens' bomb but absorbed enough of the blast to protect the fleeing hostages as well. At least, that's my understanding of the comic book physics involved.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
one4smoke
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Cap's shield is made of Vibranium, which can absorb blows by deadening the vibrations they cause. When the mythical metal is struck as hard as Thor hit it, the energy is too much for it to absorb so it reflects it back outward. So when Thor put the hammer down Cap's shield absorbed as much of the energy from that blow as it could and reflected the rest, which knocked the Thunder God back and flattened the surrounding forest.

The same thing happened when Cap fought the Chitauri holding hostages later in the film. His shield not only protected him from the aliens' bomb but absorbed enough of the blast to protect the fleeing hostages as well. At least, that's my understanding of the comic book physics involved.
Ahhhh. Thanks for the info. Not as knowledgeable of Cap as Thor.

one4smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Bren
Forevernoob

I saw it exactly as Xeno described.
My issue with the whole thing is that Thor was prepared to squash a human into forest-kill. He couldn't have known the shield could absorb his blow (from Mjolnir no less).

I know they did it for the effect but considering his 'maturing' in Thor to me it was out of place.

Back on topic, like I said, I saw it exactly as Xeno described