Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #751
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: The TDKR General Discussion Thread - - - - - - - - - Part 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
-coughs-

http://www.whysoseriousredux.com/map/home.htm

But no, I'm sick so I really am coughing a lot nowadays.

Thanks Anita, I forgot! And take care of that cough, hope you get better

So it's the same, if only I could remember where I lived.

"Batman: Promises"

"Harley Quinn: Ridiculous Thoughts"
"La Broma Mortal"
Old 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #752
kvz5
HBIC

Kris Tapley and Edward Douglas (of Comingsoon.Net) are both at Lincoln Center's "An Evening with Christopher Nolan" event:

Last edited by kvz5; 11-28-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #753
Kane52630
Deadcruiser

I wish someone could get a high res pic of that without the words.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #754
Reek
Pork Sausage

that would be amazing

Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #755
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
Kris Tapley and Edward Douglas (of Comingsoon.Net) are both at Lincoln Center's "An Evening with Christopher Nolan" event:

That is so bad ass! Simple, yet so very Batman.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #756
venus_ice
All the TDKR feels

Nolan wrote a piece on JGL for EW:

Scans please!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #757
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
That is so bad ass! Simple, yet so very Batman.
I noticed that most of the stills they're releasing lately (especially of Batman and Catwoman) are way better than the ones they released before the movie came out. And none of them are really spoiler-ish anyway. Like these three:

Last edited by kvz5; 11-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 PM   #758
JackWhite
Third Man

I love this little quote from Chris on realism:

The term “realism” is often confusing and used sort of arbitrarily. I suppose “relatable” is the word I would use.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #759
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
I noticed that most of the stills they're releasing lately (especially of Batman and Catwoman) are way better than the ones they released before the movie came out. And none of them are really spoiler-ish anyway. Like these three:

Oh man! I'm really going to miss Bale-Bats. Thanks for those!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #760
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I love this little quote from Chris on realism:

The term “realism” is often confusing and used sort of arbitrarily. I suppose “relatable” is the word I would use.
Best way to describe it cuz even this trilogy has fantasy in it.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:39 PM   #761
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Mr. Vigilante-10 Years

Those pics are so badass, why the hell did they not use those for promoting the film?!

- BEN AFFLECK IS BATMAN-#TrustBatfleck -
SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #762
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Best way to describe it cuz even this trilogy has fantasy in it.
Of course!

It's just that for every action, there is a reaction. I like that there are themes and consequence represented throughout the trilogy. It really makes for some real compelling drama.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #763
Nevincer
Side-Kick

So I came back to talk a bit about the interview in regards to the ending. I'm disappointed Gotham's gonna need superhero forever to survive in Nolan's world, especially considering this was a trilogy that glowed with so many great idealistic characters that were inspired by Batman's heroism but weren't costumed heroes themselves. The way I saw Batman was a response to a very drastic problem, and because of the toll it took on him mentally and physically Bruce wouldn't wish it for anyone. So the objective, of course, would to be to do enough good so that normal citizens would stand up for the city and no one has to do what Bruce did again for as long as possible.

It was a good thing to at the very least strip Bruce of the cowl, I applaud Nolan for having the balls to do that as in the world he created one man surerly couldn't assume that role forever, but things like the symbol becoming a martyr in the form of the statue at the end seem pretty pointless in retrospect if Batman's coming straight back afterwards. If they had to show Levitt discovering the cave, maybe they should have skipped in time or something to show that whole sacrifice wasn't in vain and implying it took a while before Blake decided he'd suit up? That would at least suggest when Bruce dropped the cowl it was when he did all that could be done for an era.

I'm left kind of sour still because I remember the dialogue indicating that the end of the Bruce's mission would lead to something finite, "the day Gotham doesn't need a Batman", not "the day Gotham doesn't need me" and the scene on the plane being "Gotham taking back their city", not some posterboy for Gothamites (who didn't seem to even be present in the movie) stealing Bruce's mantle and continuing his work.

To play devil's advocate the idea of the symbol being eternal and passed down is an interesting concept in and of itself, I've proposed it in the past before prematurerly when speculating on TDKR because it was definitely an idea that was relevant, and kind of similar to what I suspect the take on the LOS Leader is in that universe, and I agree with those defending Blake about how "the training is nothing, the will is everything" as that was a central theme both from Ra's in BB and TDKR when it came to making the climb in the pit. But it's still not that simple. Just because Blake is theoretically capable doesn't mean he should have the audacity to copy what Bruce did.

In short, I guess I kind of agree that "a hero can be anyone", and even "anyone can be Batman" should they be determined enough and follow a similar path of self-discovery that Bruce did, but what I don't agree with is the idea that anyone else should be Batman. Personifying that symbol has shown in it's wake good influence as well as bad (the Joker), and not only that it's proven to be self-destructive for Bruce as can be seen at the beginning of tdkr and the whole long road he needed to take to find happiness. Now that people of Gotham are aware of Batman's existence, his sacrifice snd what he stood for, I truly feel that in and of itself should be enough to keep the city on it's toes. Now that the actions of Gotham's saviour is fresh in people's minds, leave the symbol elemental after Bruce steps away, illuminating in the hearts of Gothamites willing to do good per his sacrifice in a sensible fashion, not needlessly having another Batman continue the war on crime and rendering the sacrifice null by literally parodying off-screen the episodic adventures Nolan feared for a fourth movie onward. I don't see how that demonstrates Gotham being shaken out of apathy or fending for itself at all, it just says the city will have a citizen every now and again willing to take the law into their own hands. What I hoped for the ending was to see the influence of the dramatic example Bruce Wayne set, not for those same dramatics to go on for an everlasting period.

Thank you Nolan for a good trilogy, the end just feels inconsequential for me now that it's basically confirmed Blake became Batman. The part of me who loves Bruce Wayne and wanted him to find happiness is satisfied, but the other part that loves the Gotham that Nolan has created as well as Bruce's journey isn't too content knowing it only lead to finding out that Gotham needs to be babysitted by a masked crusader until the end of time. For me, that made his mission feel kind of futile. It's like the whole "Gotham needs a hero with a face" theme was forgotten.

Last edited by Nevincer; 11-28-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #764
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_ice View Post
Nolan wrote a piece on JGL for EW:

Scans please!
If someone's scanning, I want the Clooney Affleck one while you're at it.

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #765
Kane52630
Deadcruiser

Quote:

TheBat812 made a great wallpaper using that first image.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=241

Old 11-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #766
Nevincer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Those pics are so badass, why the hell did they not use those for promoting the film?!
I've lost count of all the "why the hells" I've said aloud regarding the marketing of this film and what could have been. Complete mess.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #767
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's like the whole "Gotham needs a hero with a face" theme was forgotten.
And we do remember what the hero with a face ended up doing.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #768
Nevincer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
And we do remember what the hero with a face ended up doing.
After he had half a face and had been corrupted by the Joker? Sure. One misfire doesn't mean the concept as a whole wasn't ideal, Gordon was as much a hero with a face as Harvey was and Gordon was never susceptible to corruption. Harvey just happened to be "the best of them" and most promising at the time before Joker broke him psychologically. That could have happened to anyone, even a man wearing a mask, as was demonstrated when the Joker was able to identify that Batman cared for Rachel and did his best to corrupt him from there unsuccessfully, not because of his hidden identity but because of Bruce's good conscious. My post is suggesting that there should be more good people in general, not Harvey Dents, and Batman should have set the example for them.

Last edited by Nevincer; 11-28-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #769
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

I think what Bruce saw in Harvey was someone who could really shape Gotham into a better place when he felt he couldn't. One of the reasons being the Citizens for Batman group of copycats. He wanted to inspired people, but in that moment it backfired. Then in Rises he could live up to his original goal.

"Batman: Promises"

"Harley Quinn: Ridiculous Thoughts"
"La Broma Mortal"
Old 11-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #770
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

There are certain things a Batman can do that the proper authorities can't do. That was the significance of Blake's arc. He tried to save the bus full of orphans to the best of his abilities as a beat cop, which proved near fatal if it weren't for Batman saving the day. And Batman could do this because he wasn't a cop. He could do this because he operated outside the law. Blake throws away his badge in realization of this reality. Even Harvey Dent had to bend the rules to achieved his goals. Gordon too, in dealing with the mess left by Two Face. While there will always be incorruptible people like Gordon and Rachel ready to do good, they will be bound by the shackles of the law, and that's why an extra-authoritarian protector like Batman will always be needed for that world.

That I believe was one of the thematic points of the film.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #771
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

I just love having a trilogy of batman films that bring up and take on many interesting notions, ideas, political views, and themes. It's beautiful what Nolan and Co have been able to achieve, all under the guise of costumed crime fighter action films. These will always be my "movies".

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #772
kvz5
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
TheBat812 made a great wallpaper using that first image.

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=241

Gorgeous! I'll be using that now.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #773
DarthDorranceBane
Side-Kick

Has anyone already posted this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeXEZxn8E8k

Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #774
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
There are certain things a Batman can do that the proper authorities can't do. That was the significance of Blake's arc. He tried to save the bus full of orphans to the best of his abilities as a beat cop, which proved near fatal if it weren't for Batman saving the day. And Batman could do this because he wasn't a cop. He could do this because he operated outside the law. Blake throws away his badge in realization of this reality. Even Harvey Dent had to bend the rules to achieved his goals. Gordon too, in dealing with the mess left by Two Face. While there will always be incorruptible people like Gordon and Rachel ready to do good, they will be bound by the shackles of the law, and that's why an extra-authoritarian protector like Batman will always be needed for that world.

That I believe was one of the thematic points of the film.
Batman also could do what he did because he took orders from no one. There was no one higher up who judged him for what he did. He could not be fired, etc.

That Gotham would stil need a vigilante after the events of TDKR doesn't make Bruce's journey useless. He definitely inspired people to action. But there will always be crime. Always. Therefore the war doesn't end, even if Bruce finally acknowledges that he can go no further without doing more harm to himself.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #775
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanNeverTells View Post
Has anyone already posted this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeXEZxn8E8k
lol, I love how they have a broken Batman flying across the screen with the rest of the villains from the film.

Closed Thread