The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Old 11-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #26
greenlantern248
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Thea Queen/ Willa Holland thread

^Could work and be the love interest of Roy when he shows up.

greenlantern248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #27
Deathstroke
Banned User

As Cheshire? Haha.

I think for the sake of believability, they should keep Thea away from the superheroics.

Willa Holland is attractive, but she's a frail little thing.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 AM   #28
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
Willa Holland is attractive, but she's a frail little thing.
She looks like she could play Speedy though, or some kind of Teen Titan if not that. I think she's yummy. Certainly much better looking than Laurel. If I were Tommy I wouldn't have ignored her in the last episode at that fund raiser. We all know Laurel/ Dinah is supposed to end up with Oliver anyway.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #29
Deathstroke
Banned User

I agree Willa is much better looking than Laurel, but Willa is totally wrong for a superhero, especially in a realistic, grounded setting.

Would I trust her to save my life? Nope. She's got the build of a 12 year old.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree Willa is much better looking than Laurel, but Willa is totally wrong for a superhero, especially in a realistic, grounded setting.

Depends. Maybe not with good ol' fisticuffs. But give someone a bow, or a gun, or even an internet connection and anyone can become a vigilante.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
Deathstroke
Banned User

That would basically undermine the entire subplot with Oliver training on the island for 5 years.

It took him a lot of work to get to where he is, and extensive archery training over several years to have the skills needed to be a superhero.

Thea doing the same and taking down armed gangsters would just be silly and compromise the realistic way in which Oliver became the Arrow.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #32
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:

I wouldn't say that she has the build of a 12 year old. It's not like she looks pre-pubescent. She can learn some fighting skills and use mostly weaponry. I don't want her to change her build anyway or suddenly start acting tough. I don't think they have simply given her the name Speedy for no reason though. She must develop into someone else later in the series.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #33
Deathstroke
Banned User

Well considering her Speedy nickname is no secret and she's called that in front of everyone, it's unlikely she's destined to become Speedy in the future.

It's just a nickname/nod. It was more of an in-joke considering she was doing drugs and that's what Speedy is famous for.

The producers already stated they're bringing in Roy Harper at some point. Thea being a superhero would be pretty silly and would kill the show's realistic credibility.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #34
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
That would basically undermine the entire subplot with Oliver training on the island for 5 years.

It took him a lot of work to get to where he is, and extensive archery training over several years to have the skills needed to be a superhero.

Thea doing the same and taking down armed gangsters would just be silly and compromise the realistic way in which Oliver became the Arrow.
Well, according to the character page on the Arrow Wiki, Thea has an archery trophy in her room; which indicates some proficiency with the bow. So, there's that. Plus, I didn't say she'd be instantly good at it. My point was that close combat is not the only way to fight. When using stuff like bows and guns, one's physical build matters a lot less than one's skill with the weapon.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #35
Deathstroke
Banned User

I disagree. Notice that Arrow is constantly forced into situations that require close combat and he has years of experience from surviving the hardships of the island and training with some of the world's deadliest fighters.

Thea being able to do the same and taking down threats as realistic and deadly as the one's Oliver faces would be as silly as Lana-Fu on Smallville.

Oliver is more than proficient with a bow too, he's practically superhuman in his accuracy. Again that came from 5 years of hell on the island. Thea being able to do similar things just undermines the realism of Oliver's own backstory as it plays out throughout this series in flashbacks.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:26 PM   #36
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Maybe Thea will get stranded on an island too, but rather than the experience that Oliver had, she'll get into all kinds of shennanigans a la The Blue Lagoon.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #37
Deathstroke
Banned User

It just seems to me that Arrow is trying to mimic Nolan's Batman and show realistically how a man can become a weapon and actually do these superhuman things.

It's a great concept. It's reinforced by the producers' plan to show the flashbacks on the island for 5 years throughout the show's entire run...showing Oliver's transformation piece by piece.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #38
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Willa Holland seems to hint that she will become Speedy and that it was part of the reason she took the part in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDDjxU5PcC0

Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM   #39
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light

Maybe she'll use a crossbow or perhaps she'll be more of an Oracle than a Robin.

John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #40
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
Maybe she'll use a crossbow or perhaps she'll be more of an Oracle than a Robin.
That's Felicity Smoak.

Based on that interview, I'm skeptical Willa even knows what the plans are. The Speedy reference seemed to fit with her character being a cocaine addict.

It's hard to imagine how they could seriously turn her character into a superhero in a realistic and believable manner. She demonstrates no potential to be one and the foundations to create a fully functional and believable superhero from her character are really weak.

How could they do it? This universe isn't much different from Nolan's Batman, and her as a superhero in that universe would be completely unbelievable.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #41
John Locke
One is Dark One is Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
Well, according to the character page on the Arrow Wiki, Thea has an archery trophy in her room; which indicates some proficiency with the bow. So, there's that.
I just noticed that. It's in the pilot when Oliver catches her with drugs.

Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, we're all gonna die. Come watch TV. -Morty Smith
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:15 PM   #42
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

From the Hotties thread:

Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #43
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

Quote:
The Speedy reference seemed to fit with her character being a cocaine addict.
If I remember the Speedy nickname was given to her during her childhood way before Oliver exile, I doubt she was an addict at 12 y/o.

Monsieur Xavier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #44
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

She's cute. I'm pretty sure she's going to die eventually, and that Ollie will form a similar bond with Roy Harper which is why Ollie will call Roy "Speedy." That would also mark the first time that the codename Speedy has ever made any sense.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #45
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
She's cute. I'm pretty sure she's going to die eventually, and that Ollie will form a similar bond with Roy Harper which is why Ollie will call Roy "Speedy." That would also mark the first time that the codename Speedy has ever made any sense.
I keep hearing people make this speculation. What's it being based on?

Old 11-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #46
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

For me it's just the fact that she has Roy Harper's codename as a nickname. I can't came up with any story reason for Ollie to call Roy Speedy other than in her memory. Unless they just both happened to end up being called Speedy by coincidence, which is a bit silly, to say the least.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM   #47
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
For me it's just the fact that she has Roy Harper's codename as a nickname. I can't came up with any story reason for Ollie to call Roy Speedy other than in her memory. Unless they just both happened to end up being called Speedy by coincidence, which is a bit silly, to say the least.
Well, Roy Harper has quite a number of codenames - Red Arrow, Arsenal - that the writers can choose from; assuming he even appears in the show and becomes Oliver's sidekick (or some other vigilante). And while the writers have admitted they have some ideas of how to introduce the character (i.e. they haven't actually implemented any of it). Moreover, as evidenced by Merlyn and Laurel, just because they include a character doesn't mean they aren't going to retool said character.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #48
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I disagree.I doudt they would create sister for Oliver siwth speedy nickname only to kill her off.She could be cause of falling out eventully between Oliver and Tommy.It's one thing
for Oliiver to forgive him sleeping with Laurel while he was gone but If he ever found out Tommy spent night with his sister even If It was drunken one night stand that would be It.Now I don't know If they would actully have her as Speedy and go out as his sidekick kicking ass.But,I can defently see her finding out eventully Oliver's secret and helping him In some way.

Plus they would be crazy to kill off the hottest babe on the show.I don't want Willa Holland to go anywhere.

marvelrobbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #49
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I disagree.I doudt they would create sister for Oliver siwth speedy nickname only to kill her off.She could be cause of falling out eventully between Oliver and Tommy.It's one thing
for Oliiver to forgive him sleeping with Laurel while he was gone but If he ever found out Tommy spent night with his sister even If It was drunken one night stand that would be It.Now I don't know If they would actully have her as Speedy and go out as his sidekick kicking ass.But,I can defently see her finding out eventully Oliver's secret and helping him In some way.

Plus they would be crazy to kill off the hottest babe on the show.I don't want Willa Holland to go anywhere.
I agree. She's the hottest babe on any CW show. My interest in this show would go down if she were to be killed off. And Willa herself seems to indicate that part of why she took the role in the first place was because of the possibility of becoming a superhero.

Honestly, next to Thea Queen, who cares about Roy Harper? Roy who?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #50
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Xavier View Post
If I remember the Speedy nickname was given to her during her childhood way before Oliver exile, I doubt she was an addict at 12 y/o.
No I'm saying the writers put it in there as a nod to this:

Since Thea was doing coke and Speedy was doing coke.