The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 11:32 PM   #276
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Yeah, not really much of a team with only 1 member.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #277
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

One costume from FC they IMO absolutely have to fix though is Magneto's outfit in the final scene. It doesn't have to be a replica of McKellen's costume and it can still have colours, just something that actually sits well on the actor for starters. And a less silly helmet.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #278
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I don't see the use in dropping 2 of the only 3 X-Men on the team.
My vote is still to drop them. It would be lame to have the X-Men come back from the future to help that team.

I say drop them and just have a few scenes to show that Xavier took time off after losing the use of his legs. About ten or so years later, he forms the real X-Men starting with Cyke, Jean, and a re-recruited Beast.

It would be easy to do a jump of about ten years just by having McAvoy be bald now (and a bit of makeup) and just graying out Fassy's hair (he already looks a bit older than his actual age).

Now the late 60s/70s team can be Xavier, Cyke, Jean, and Beast while in the post-X3 future you have Logan, (punk!) Storm, Kitty, and maybe Rogue. Also maybe add in a mute Colossus stuck in metal form (that guy can't really act) just for the purpose of fighting sentinels. If the future requires some deaths, you can say Bobby, Angel, and Hank were killed haha. There could even be a flashback scene of theirs and other mutants' eliminations (with either cameos or just faceless shots in a montage). This future lineup would totally match the cover of Uncanny #141!

I would be ok with a cameo scene featuring McKellen, but I really don't like the idea of two actors who look and sound nothing alike playing the same character at different ages.

Last edited by josh8; 11-02-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #279
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Vimes View Post
One costume from FC they IMO absolutely have to fix though is Magneto's outfit in the final scene. It doesn't have to be a replica of McKellen's costume and it can still have colours, just something that actually sits well on the actor for starters. And a less silly helmet.
was so disappointed by that costume it looked epic from behind

but then fassbender turned around LOL

i know this is what they were going for

they just didn't pull it off imo

Old 11-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #280
psyonic
X-Man

I think they need to show him why he picked that colour scheme or why he glued that thing onto his helmet, maybe a family crest? lol..

Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #281
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
My vote is still to drop them. It would be lame to have the X-Men come back from the future to help that team.

I say drop them and just have a few scenes to show that Xavier took time off after losing the use of his legs. About ten or so years later, he forms the real X-Men starting with Cyke, Jean, and a re-recruited Beast.

It would be easy to do a jump of about ten years just by having McAvoy be bald now (and a bit of makeup) and just graying out Fassy's hair (he already looks a bit older than his actual age).

Now the late 60s/70s team can be Xavier, Cyke, Jean, and Beast while in the post-X3 future you have Logan, (punk!) Storm, Kitty, and maybe Rogue. Also maybe add in a mute Colossus stuck in metal form (that guy can't really act) just for the purpose of fighting sentinels. If the future requires some deaths, you can say Bobby, Angel, and Hank were killed haha. There could even be a flashback scene of theirs and other mutants' eliminations (with either cameos or just faceless shots in a montage). This future lineup would totally match the cover of Uncanny #141!

I would be ok with a cameo scene featuring McKellen, but I really don't like the idea of two actors who look and sound nothing alike playing the same character at different ages.
The team will undoubtedly have added a few more X-Men to their school by the time the time travel happens. I see absolutely no reason to drop Havok and Banshee-- they should be developing them instead. Alex especially, with his ties to Cyclops, I'm certain will be getting a lot more story this time around. Even things like why Xavier is bald needs to be explained, if they decide to make him shed his hair in this one. Or they keep his hair throughout the whole FC trilogy (and leave audiences to assume that the hair loss was caused by age).

It sounds to me like you only want the FC duo dropped so that the original team as-per-the-comics will be back. You're gonna have to give up on that. Given their ages (about 30, MAX, in X-Men), they won't even have been BORN until the early 70s. There is no reason to jump to an even later date just to bring in a few fanboy-pleasing characters. The crew should be focusing on making a good movie, not how accurate to the comics they're being. Remember, the majority of the general audience will not have read DOFP or any X-Men comic and really really don't care if Jean and Cyke are in it, or if the traveller is Kitty or Wolverine or Sandra the housekeeper. As long as it's GOOD.

The black leather costume in X1-3 was a wretched choice, so dull and militaristic. Loved the bright yellow and blue in FC and how each uniform was still clearly individual.
But as everyone has said, for the love of God get Fassbender a well-tailored costume. Sir Ian always made Magneto's getup look somewhat classy (minus the helmet). It'd be nice to see something classy for Fassbender as well. It'd be nice if they could take the scarab off of his helmet as well, I know it's a nod to the comics but it's just so tacky.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #282
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
problem with alot of x men outfits is they are way too colorful to be adapted to screen without looking goofy alot of x men where some sort of bright yellow,green,and red

but i could see it working if they use spandex like material of Prometheus suits tho
That costume looks good and it doesn't look cartoony/goofy at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I was wondering too if Havok and Banshee should be dropped. But it makes sense to keep them, they are the team (along with Beast).
Havok and Banshee shouldn't be dropped! I would rather see them get killed in DOFP than not to appear in the movie.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
Old 11-02-2012, 07:00 AM   #283
Angamb
Banned User

Guys, to keep discussing the costume issue, I updated an old topic, lets continue here:

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...1#post24570681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I don't see the use in dropping 2 of the only 3 X-Men on the team.
yeah, each time I see this suggestion it feels like a bad joke. We NEED the same team as First Class to have a sense of continuity. And Havok, Banshee and Beast were a big part of the fresh vibe of First Class, so we cant loose two of them. Singer can add a new x-men if wants it.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #284
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

Leaping ahead to the 80s and dumping Havok and Banshee just so a young Cyclops and Jean can be added is not the right way to do it at all in my view.

At present, we have two set of characters: the First Class team and the Original Trilogy team.

Rather than fiddling around to force people in or out of the film, it would be easier to stick with those two established groups. Therefore, it would be simpler and more logical for the past to be the 1960s (so all the First Class people can return) and the dystopian Sentinel-ruled future to be an alternate 1980s or 1990s (so any Original Trilogy members can return including Cyclops and Jean if they wanted).

Any further films in the First Class franchise could then show Cyclops, Jean and Storm joining the team; Beast leaving to pursue politics; Moira setting up a mutant research centre on Muir Island; the introduction of Polaris; and Havok and Polaris then leaving.

It seems more logical that way.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, Noah 3/10
Old 11-02-2012, 10:55 AM   #285
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
The team will undoubtedly have added a few more X-Men to their school by the time the time travel happens. I see absolutely no reason to drop Havok and Banshee-- they should be developing them instead. Alex especially, with his ties to Cyclops, I'm certain will be getting a lot more story this time around. Even things like why Xavier is bald needs to be explained, if they decide to make him shed his hair in this one. Or they keep his hair throughout the whole FC trilogy (and leave audiences to assume that the hair loss was caused by age).

It sounds to me like you only want the FC duo dropped so that the original team as-per-the-comics will be back. You're gonna have to give up on that. Given their ages (about 30, MAX, in X-Men), they won't even have been BORN until the early 70s. There is no reason to jump to an even later date just to bring in a few fanboy-pleasing characters. The crew should be focusing on making a good movie, not how accurate to the comics they're being. Remember, the majority of the general audience will not have read DOFP or any X-Men comic and really really don't care if Jean and Cyke are in it, or if the traveller is Kitty or Wolverine or Sandra the housekeeper. As long as it's GOOD.
You're completely right that I want them dropped to have Cyke and Jean introduced. But it's not that I care for comic book accuracy, I just like the idea in order to have the A-team around. I completely disagree with what you said about the general audience's opinion. The cartoon and first set of movies have made most general fans well aware of the premiere X-Men characters. It's not just fanboys. Sorry to make this a box office discussion, but it's obvious that there weren't many "draw" characters in FC. Your example about Sandra the housekeeper and "as long as it's good" does not describe the general audience... unfortunately quality alone has never been enough to bring in the masses. And just to clarify, I was never one of those fans that cared that the "First Class" wasn't the real first class. But I think now there is an opportunity to please a whole lot of people and bring in more fans.

If you want to talk about what the general audiences care for... sorry, but it sure as hell isn't Banshee and Havok getting more development.

I don't mean to sound so argumentative and cynical, because it is just a selfish side of me wanting Cyclops and Jean around. But I really do think overall it would be better to bring them in now. You mention them not even being born in the 70s, but the first trilogy never really specified a date so I don't really mind smearing those lines. And no, they could be late 30s in the first trilogy. None of them looked to me like they were in their 20s.

But anyways, I'll drop it for now!

Last edited by josh8; 11-02-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #286
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Leaping ahead to the 80s and dumping Havok and Banshee just so a young Cyclops and Jean can be added is not the right way to do it at all in my view.

At present, we have two set of characters: the First Class team and the Original Trilogy team.

Rather than fiddling around to force people in or out of the film, it would be easier to stick with those two established groups. Therefore, it would be simpler and more logical for the past to be the 1960s (so all the First Class people can return) and the dystopian Sentinel-ruled future to be an alternate 1980s or 1990s (so any Original Trilogy members can return including Cyclops and Jean if they wanted).

Any further films in the First Class franchise could then show Cyclops, Jean and Storm joining the team; Beast leaving to pursue politics; Moira setting up a mutant research centre on Muir Island; the introduction of Polaris; and Havok and Polaris then leaving.

It seems more logical that way.
exactly how I view this new series.

Beast, Banshee and Havok should stay until last sequel. One sequel can have them more young Scott, Jean and Storm, and if they make another one, Beast can start her political journey and Havok leaving with Polaris. Banshee could be the big death of this new series, in case they dont want all the original members leaving. Id be fine with either option.

The key is to keep them until the last movie, to develop each character perfectly and give them some sequels to shine and make the audience fall in love with this less known x-men too.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #287
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
You're completely right that I want them dropped to have Cyke and Jean introduced. But it's not that I care for comic book accuracy, I just like the idea in order to have the A-team around. I completely disagree with what you said about the general audience's opinion. The cartoon and first set of movies have made most general fans well aware of the premiere X-Men characters. It's not just fanboys. Sorry to make this a box office discussion, but it's obvious that there weren't many "draw" characters in FC. Your example about Sandra the housekeeper and "as long as it's good" does not describe the general audience... unfortunately quality alone has never been enough to bring in the masses. And just to clarify, I was never one of those fans that cared that the "First Class" wasn't the real first class. But I think now there is an opportunity to please a whole lot of people and bring in more fans.

If you want to talk about what the general audiences care for... sorry, but it sure as hell isn't Banshee and Havok getting more development.

I don't mean to sound so argumentative and cynical, because it is just a selfish side of me wanting Cyclops and Jean around. But I really do think overall it would be better to bring them in now. You mention them not even being born in the 70s, but the first trilogy never really specified a date so I don't really mind smearing those lines. And no, they could be late 30s in the first trilogy. None of them looked to me like they were in their 20s.

But anyways, I'll drop it for now!
I hear you regarding Scott and Jean.

But I think it's more likely we'll get the original trilogy's Cyclops (James Marsden) and Jean (Famke) in the alternate Sentinels-ruled future of the 1980s/1990s.

Those are the versions (and actors) with which the audience is familiar.

They could then introduce the young versions of Jean, Scott and Storm in the next film in the First Class series.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #288
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
exactly how I view this new series.

Beast, Banshee and Havok should stay until last sequel. One sequel can have them more young Scott, Jean and Storm, and if they make another one, Beast can start her political journey and Havok leaving with Polaris. Banshee could be the big death of this new series, in case they dont want all the original members leaving. Id be fine with either option.

The key is to keep them until the last movie, to develop each character perfectly and give them some sequels to shine and make the audience fall in love with this less known x-men too.
Ok one last thing (sorry!). As I said in the other thread, there is a lot riding on the movie and it's going to determine if there are any more sequels. Havok and Banshee are just not compelling enough characters to spend the time to develop.

If DOFP is going to bring back old characters, they need to have a connection to the past team. Logan and/or Storm returning to the past to find a young Scott and Jean would be a much better story than meeting Banshee and Havok. So yes, I am thinking about it in terms of story, and not just my own fanboy yearnings (which are also undoubtedly at play).

Old 11-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #289
Angamb
Banned User

I agree it would be the perfect scenario. Ive thought about that too, but this is not the right sequel to introduce new young x-men on the 60's and less such important characters like Scott and Jean.

we like it or not, to try to develop young Scott and Jean on this right sequel with such a complex plot, would be a big mistake and they wouldnt get the screentime they deserve.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #290
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I'd just start the film off with the 'original team' in the future and have the sentinel disaster beginning and kill off who you want to kill off. and whoever he decides to keep alive, send back to the FC team. Starting the movie off that way will not only fill the OG X-men quota but also be a neat dark way to start the film that people may not expect and get them amped up for the rest of the movie.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #291
Angamb
Banned User

to start with the original five in the future would be such an unexpected and cool intro, definetly.

But highly doubt Singer does something like that. It sounds more like "just for fans" intro than what Singer would do taking into account his x-movies.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #292
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
I'd just start the film off with the 'original team' in the future and have the sentinel disaster beginning and kill off who you want to kill off. and whoever he decides to keep alive, send back to the FC team. Starting the movie off that way will not only fill the OG X-men quota but also be a neat dark way to start the film that people may not expect and get them amped up for the rest of the movie.
Do you mean the 'original five' from the comics, or the actors from the original trilogy? I can't quite grasp what you are saying.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #293
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Do you mean the 'original five' from the comics, or the actors from the original trilogy? I can't quite grasp what you are saying.
Well, with the reprisal rumors from the movies going on, I suppose those. But even if it is just the movie incarnation from X1 and X2 (yes I'm assuming and hoping Singer will disregard X3) you still have 4 of the original 5. Maybe he can even re-imagine the angel escape scene from X-3 into him running away from home and going to the x-mansion at first. Maybe it's a little shoehorning him in there but it may work.

Frankly, I wouldn't have a problem with the original movie-cast members playing a completely untied version of the original 5, but I guess that would be me just wanting the nostalgia of seeing the comics 5 on screen regardless. I'd like to see it either way, depending on what singer decides to do

Old 11-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #294
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
to start with the original five in the future would be such an unexpected and cool intro, definetly.

But highly doubt Singer does something like that. It sounds more like "just for fans" intro than what Singer would do taking into account his x-movies.
Yeah, I think I just want the original 5 because, it's the original 5, but if Singer disregards X3, you can at least have 4 of the 5.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #295
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
Yeah, I think I just want the original 5 because, it's the original 5, but if Singer disregards X3, you can at least have 4 of the 5.
There's never going to be a continuity, a timeline and a 'cinematic universe' if films are disregarded. He should work with it, taking the parts he wants, not contradicting it, and everyone else should like it or deal with it.

All these films are in the franchise, even the ones many people don't like.

There is no problem with using Angel from X3. Why not? The film was made, released and included in every X-Men collection released ever since. Pretending it doesn't exist is silly.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #296
JP
Flame On

That WOULD be pretty hilarious if the future mutants are Scott, Jean, Angel, Iceman, and Beast. . .

And Storm..

Old 11-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #297
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
That WOULD be pretty hilarious if the future mutants are Scott, Jean, Angel, Iceman, and Beast. . .

And Storm..
I wouldnt believe it, lol

Id be like... WHAT? is this real?

but again, I dont see Singer using Kelsey and Ben Foster instead of "his" actors

Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #298
JP
Flame On

But Kelsey is Vaughn's actor.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #299
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

And even Ben Foster was fine as Angel. He looked the part, the wings were good. Okay, so he didn't have a big enough role in the story, and a lot of people on here hate the film, but there's nothing terribly wrong with the actor or the portrayal.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #300
BMM
Side-Kick

Huh. I always thought Foster was miscast as Angel.

Closed Thread