Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #351
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
yeah, most likely.

Fox has confirmed that the Wolverine will be in 3D, right?

we can expect it on Days of future too, definetly
Well, they haven't CONFIRMED it. A Russian website said it had heard it. But there's been no official confirmation as far as I know.

It wouldn't surprise me though. Films need all the gimmicks possible these days - 3D and/or IMAX and superpowered marketing.

I have no problem with them releasing a 3D version of any of the X-Men films. People still have a choice of 2D or 3D, normal screen or giant screen/IMAX.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #352
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Too early for me to call. I'll wait & see DOFP promo stuff & The Wolverine's BO take & reception. If TW is great then it should build on XFC's numbers, which will then feed into DOFP. Having 2 well recieved films before DOFP would go a long way.
It should do, yes. Especially if The Wolverine has a link to DoFP, and is accompanied by a trailer for DoFP.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #353
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Im really confident that Days of future will be the highest grossing movie of the franchise

Not sure by what difference, but it has potential to be big. Maybe not like Avengers or Dark knight, but hopefully closer to Amazing Spiderman.
Even with all that competition on it's heels?

Amazing Spider-man's first 3 days were 75 mill. during 4th of July, and didn't have the issues like the Hobbit 3 bothering them until Dark Knight Rises 2 weeks later.

DOFP has H3 to compete with on the same exact day and GotG 2weeks later. Not to mention what comes out the week before.

So I don't know if this will be the best box office for them....

Old 11-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #354
JP
Smelly

DoFP isn't a reboot.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #355
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
DoFP isn't a reboot.
Neither was First Class but it never made 75 mill in it's first 3 days.

Plus unlike Spider-man giving X-men a reboot wouldn't hurt it as much.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #356
JP
Smelly

It was a reboot in a sense that it had a completely new cast and a majority of unrecognizable characters.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #357
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

And nobody In general audence has even heard of Guardians of the Galaxy.Even among some comic fans It Isn't entirely known.It should be more worried than X-men.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #358
JP
Smelly

Nah. It has a giant MARVEL above the title, so it'll be fine.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM   #359
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
It was a reboot in a sense that it had a completely new cast and a majority of unrecognizable characters.
Okay....

It still made 20 million more than FC during it's first 3 days of release and that's despite some people not wanting to see a SM reboot.

What am I missing here....?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #360
JP
Smelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrime View Post
Okay....

It still made 20 million more than FC during it's first 3 days of release and that's despite some people not wanting to see a SM reboot.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make?

Spider-Man is a massive franchise. It was then rebooted with much of the same characters. The reboot didn't do gangbusters but it was still a huge success, because it's still Spider-Man.

X-Men has never been in the same league. So taking away everything people are familiar with (the characters AND their respective actors) obviously it's going to do as well.

DoFP is an attempt to bring X-Men in that league.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #361
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:

Spider-Man is a massive franchise. It was then rebooted with much of the same characters. The reboot didn't do gangbusters but it was still a huge success, because it's still Spider-Man.

X-Men has never been in the same league. So taking away everything people are familiar with (the characters AND their respective actors) obviously it's going to do as well.

We'll see...

Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #362
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Too early for me to call. I'll wait & see DOFP promo stuff & The Wolverine's BO take & reception. If TW is great then it should build on XFC's numbers, which will then feed into DOFP. Having 2 well recieved films before DOFP would go a long way.
to top previous movies wont be that hard at all, its not like X3 made 600 millions, lol.

DOFP could make 500 and it would already be the highest sequel.

But I feel like the kind of show they will bring, more the two casts and good reception of First Class and hopefully The Wolverine will generate something bigger than some fans expect.

again, Im not saying 1 billion, but 600-700 or even more? there's a big chance.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:05 PM   #363
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Okay....

spiderman has always been a bigger money franchise than x men

Old 11-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #364
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Well, they haven't CONFIRMED it. A Russian website said it had heard it. But there's been no official confirmation as far as I know.

It wouldn't surprise me though. Films need all the gimmicks possible these days - 3D and/or IMAX and superpowered marketing.

I have no problem with them releasing a 3D version of any of the X-Men films. People still have a choice of 2D or 3D, normal screen or giant screen/IMAX.
I can definitely see Imax or AVX for the movie but I still think 3D will be out. Figures show that studios rarely ever do better than "break even" on the cost of producing a 3D movie vs the increased ticket price. Not to mention, 3D is a gimmick that is dying fast with general audiences. It used to be a bonus but now it seems to be a feature that people will go out of their way to avoid. The cons (headaches, higher ticket prices, dim colors on post-production 3D movies, doubling edges for bespectacled audience members) outweigh the pros (.......somewhat feeling more engaged in the action onscreen? I suppose?).

Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #365
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:

Congratulations on your new job, JP! Didn't you hear? You've been promoted to executive!

Quote:
Hey...at this point I wouldn't be surprised if he, Project, JP and Robin where all the same guy. Which was secretly a FOX executive.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #366
JP
Smelly

That's me!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #367
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Well once again YoungPrime calls people who don't agree with him a secret Fox
Executive.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #368
YoungPrime
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Congratulations on your new job, JP! Didn't you hear? You've been promoted to executive!
Really...?

We're taking post from other forums to derail this thread now...?

SMH, now I know how Spider-man feels when he reads the Daily Bugle. LOL!

Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #369
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I think X3's giant opening showed that the X-Men can enter that league with the right movie. X3 was just not that movie. I really hope this movie works, but I still have my doubts (my opinion of the Singer movies is that they're good, but flawed...I felt FC was so much better). I am happy this film is embracing a more comic book-esque feel for the X-Men (since X1 and X2 were more grounded films), but I still reserve my judgement. I think this has awesome potential, but this film needs so much care in juggling the many stories it will have to include. Given how X2 shoves Cyclops to the side (amongst other things), and the first 3 X-films had a major Wolverine bias, I am still skeptical about it being properly juggled. I really feel Vaughn showed more skill at that.

I hope Singer can deliver. I want this film to work.But, SR and other things have me skeptical.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #370
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

As much as I'm anticipating a great film from Singer, I think 550 m ww is the best case scenario for this. I'll predict between 450-500m.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:34 PM   #371
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
As much as I'm anticipating a great film from Singer, I think 550 m ww is the best case scenario for this. I'll predict between 450-500m.
Which would still be an awesome outcome. But if it's really really good; word-of-mouth should help it tremendously.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #372
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quick question, is Ralph Winter no longer producing these movies with Donner? I haven't seen his name involved with The Wolverine or DOFP. And he wasn't involved in First Class

Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #373
BMM
Side-Kick

No, I don't believe he is.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #374
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Quick question, is Ralph Winter no longer producing these movies with Donner? I haven't seen his name involved with The Wolverine or DOFP. And he wasn't involved in First Class
He was a producer on XMO: Wolverine but hasn't been involved in any X-Men projects since then. He must have moved on from the franchise.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 AM   #375
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think X3's giant opening showed that the X-Men can enter that league with the right movie. X3 was just not that movie. I really hope this movie works, but I still have my doubts (my opinion of the Singer movies is that they're good, but flawed...I felt FC was so much better). I am happy this film is embracing a more comic book-esque feel for the X-Men (since X1 and X2 were more grounded films), but I still reserve my judgement. I think this has awesome potential, but this film needs so much care in juggling the many stories it will have to include. Given how X2 shoves Cyclops to the side (amongst other things), and the first 3 X-films had a major Wolverine bias, I am still skeptical about it being properly juggled. I really feel Vaughn showed more skill at that.

I hope Singer can deliver. I want this film to work.But, SR and other things have me skeptical.

I agree with you that the film needs to show much more balance between characters (which would be easier to do if there was not so many characters returning) but to say Vaughn handled this better is where I disagree with you.

Using X2 as an example despite Singer focusing more on wolverine, he still managed to juggle the rest of the ensemble cast quite well with a fe exceptions of course (Cyclops and Storm come to mind). Each character got their own individual arc that was developed throughout the movie. Jean(phoenix rising) Pyro (betraying the xmen) Ice Man (accepting his mutant background and his relationship with Rogue) Rogue (relationship with Ice Man) Magneto (untrustworthy ally, hidden agenda) even mystique got an upgraded character arc. and there are many more Stryker, Nightcrawler, Xavier, etc

On the other hand despite the fact that Vaughn arguably had a smaller amount of characters to juggle around. he focuses more on Eric and Charles, with the only other characters developed being Raven and Hank.
The rest of the X-Men, Banshee, Havok, Darwin were not developed and had no individual story arc.
Emma - was basically eye candy. And Shaw was basically a generic villain. But Azazel, Riptide, Angel salvadore and the aforementioned banshee, havok, and darwin could have easily been replaced and the story would not have suffered. Which should not be the case with the X-Men each charcacter is unique and their personality is what makes them an individual not their powers.

I mean because Angel isn't developed her betrayal does not have the same impact as Pyro's. Because Darwin has no character arc his death doesn't resonate as much as Jean's or Xavier's.

Closed Thread