The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #151
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Default Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Intresting tibit on wolverine films.Bryan was first choice to do Origins but his working on valkyrie meant he was available.Hugh wanted him to The Wolverine but when he got Involved In devolping first Class he again was unavailable.I think Hugh would jump at chance to work with bryan again on X-Men film.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM   #152
JP
To me

I don't think Bryan ever wanted to be involved in any Wolveirne solo movie. He told his Wolverine story and wrapped up everything he had to say with X2.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #153
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

True enough.However they wanted him to.X2 was for him the concusion of wolverine's search for past and his flashbackscenes were better than all of origins.Plus untill at least
The Wolverine X2 was closest to showing Wolverine's beresker fury.The kitchen scene In X2 when Wolverine ended up gutting a soldier was to me Singer's tribute to berserjer fury
WOlverine.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #154
Snikt
Side-Kick

Pretty much the whole mansion scene was a tribute to the beserker rage

Old 10-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #155
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

X-Men and X2 are my favorite X-Men adaptations to date in live action. So despite my lack of love for, say, Superman Returns, I'm still interested in seeing Singer's direction back.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:19 PM   #156
Angamb
Banned User

and like some have said, lets not forget that this will be the highest budget Singer will have for an x-men movie, so he can do wonders with the mutant powers this time.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #157
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Exactly. I think this is an even better choice than Singer directing X3. Now there will be better CG effects, and Singer can truly cut loose with a bigger budget. The action in X1-2 fit in the budget. Just wait until you see what Singer can do when he's allowed to cut loose.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #158
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm disappointed Singer is coming back. I acknowledge and give him credit part way for First Class and I don't dislike X-Men and X2 but I liked Vaughn's direction better than Singer's. For the first time an X-Men movie felt like an X-Men movie and had energy that the other films lacked. It seemed less ashamed of it's comic book roots as well. It's funny because I don't care for Vaughn but I loved what he did with the place and it bums me out to have to go back to the humorless, bland but competent stylings of Mr. Bryan Singer. Sigh, I'll still watch it for Fassy and J Law.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #159
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'm disappointed Singer is coming back. I acknowledge and give him credit part way for First Class and I don't dislike X-Men and X2 but I liked Vaughn's direction better than Singer's. For the first time an X-Men movie felt like an X-Men movie and had energy that the other films lacked. It seemed less ashamed of it's comic book roots as well. It's funny because I don't care for Vaughn but I loved what he did with the place and it bums me out to have to go back to the humorless, bland but competent stylings of Mr. Bryan Singer. Sigh, I'll still watch it for Fassy and J Law.
My chief worry is that the issues people had in the first set of films - Wolverine dominating and Cyclops, Storm and Rogue being too wimpy - will return because that's how Bryan sees those characters.

I was hoping Matthew Vaughn would have a new way of thinking about those characters that was more satisfying for the fans.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #160
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Too bad Vaughn's version had a few lame villains that barely anyone wanted. I say a few because not all of them were unwanted.

Plus, I'm sure Singer's perception of these characters and world has changed over the years. Future Storm, for example, may be seen as even stronger than she was in the earlier movies. An excuse would be that the years have hardened her character.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #161
psyonic
X-Man

I am sure Bryan Singer is aware of the fan's concerns and criticism, and especially after X3, he will exercise caution in directing another X-Men movie. I always had a feeling that in his X3 and X4, Cyclops and Rogue would have had a lot more action. Think about the pressure he has right now taking on the next chapter after the disappointment of X3 and success of FC.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #162
josh8
Side-Kick

At first I was bummed to hear that Vaughn had left, but now I'm totally on board with Singer.

I loved Singer's films, but I do have issues with them. For instance:

- The character interactions always seemed like people reading from a script. Especially Jean/Cyclops and Jean/Logan.

- The set pieces never looked like real world places... they just looked like sets. Also, his costume designer's work was atrocious. I'm not just talking about the "costumes" but also everyone's wardrobes. So awful. FC completely obliterated X1 and X2 on these aspects.

- Obvious one... he focused on only one or two characters mostly.

HOWEVER, his movies had a lot more heart and believable progression in story. And I think overall that wins. I think he's definitely learned a lot since those films and I am super optimistic now. I just hope he gives characters like Storm (whom he completely doesn't care for) and Kitty their due and just drops Banshee, Angel, Riptide, and maybe even Havoc. Banshee and Havoc can just be like kids who helped out Xavier.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #163
NanaT
X-Men United!

Thumbs up Re: Bryan Singer Directing X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
at first i was bummed to hear that vaughn had left, but now i'm totally on board with singer.

I loved singer's films, but i do have issues with them. For instance:

- the character interactions always seemed like people reading from a script. Especially jean/cyclops and jean/logan.

- the set pieces never looked like real world places... They just looked like sets. Also, his costume designer's work was atrocious. I'm not just talking about the "costumes" but also everyone's wardrobes. So awful. Fc completely obliterated x1 and x2 on these aspects.

- obvious one... He focused on only one or two characters mostly.

However, his movies had a lot more heart and believable progression in story. And i think overall that wins. I think he's definitely learned a lot since those films and i am super optimistic now. I just hope he gives characters like storm (whom he completely doesn't care for) and kitty their due and just drops banshee, angel, riptide, and maybe even havoc. Banshee and havoc can just be like kids who helped out xavier.
this!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #164
LEX
No justice; just us.

Awesome news. While it saddens me that we won't see more of Vaughn's direction, at least his influence won't be entirely gone. The role reversal between Vaughn and Singer is nothing short of a genius move. Outside of X-Men, Singer has been little better than forgettable, so for me, it's a dream come true, something I once resigned myself to never happening, that the man's back where he's totally in his element.

- Mort
Old 10-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #165
JP
To me

I feel like he's in even more of his element. Singer is such a Sci-Fi nut and DoFP is as Sci-Fi as it gets.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #166
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
At first I was bummed to hear that Vaughn had left, but now I'm totally on board with Singer.

- The character interactions always seemed like people reading from a script. Especially Jean/Cyclops and Jean/Logan.

- The set pieces never looked like real world places... they just looked like sets. Also, his costume designer's work was atrocious. I'm not just talking about the "costumes" but also everyone's wardrobes. So awful. FC completely obliterated X1 and X2 on these aspects.

HOWEVER, his movies had a lot more heart and believable progression in story. And I think overall that wins. I think he's definitely learned a lot since those films and I am super optimistic now. I just hope he gives characters like Storm (whom he completely doesn't care for) and Kitty their due and just drops Banshee, Angel, Riptide, and maybe even Havoc. Banshee and Havoc can just be like kids who helped out Xavier.
What makes you think that Singer doesn't care for Storm? Did he say that himself? I just can't see him giving the character the screentime he did if he didn't care for her.

I want Banshee to stay, but the rest of the mutants you mentioned can be dropped.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #167
Project862006
Banned User

love first class but recently rewatched x2 and man singer being back is much better

first class for me got just a bit cheesy with some horrible dialogue the i am mutant and i am proud was as subtle as michael bay lol and alot of the scenes of the young mutants together were a bit cringe worthy like them dancing around and announcing their hero names and especially banshee's whole introduction with the fish tank lol

i feel singer handled the powerful themes of freedom and oppression of the x men much better and more subtle especially the night crawler scenes with mystique and storm

Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #168
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:

I'll definitely agree with the wardrobe. Considering how stunning Halle looks when she turns up at premieres or does magazine photoshoots, the films never captured any of that exotic beauty.

But I don't agree in just dumping Banshee and Havok. They're classic comic book characters and they deserve a bit more respect. I find it a bit hypocritical that on the one hand you moan about how some characters were treated and then want two of the characters to be just dumped.

Angel and Riptide are definitely minor characters who were odd choices (just for visuals mainly) and I'd like to see them captured or killed on a mission for Magneto. I don't think anyone would complain about that.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #169
JP
To me

The Storm/Nightcrawler relationship was a highlight of X2, albeit too subtle for some people. But the more I watch that film, the more it stands out. Heck, they end up SAVING THE WORLD together.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #170
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
love first class but recently rewatched x2 and man singer being back is much better

first class for me got just a bit cheesy with some horrible dialogue the i am mutant and i am proud was as subtle as michael bay lol and alot of the scenes of the young mutants together were a bit cringe worthy like them dancing around and announcing their hero names and especially banshee's whole introduction with the fish tank lol

i feel singer handled the powerful themes of freedom and oppression of the x men much better and more subtle especially the night crawler scenes with mystique and storm
Don't even get me started on how he chose to introduce Beast... and Beast's awkwardness while he was Beast.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #171
JP
To me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Don't even get me started on how he chose to introduce Beast... and Beast's awkwardness while he was Beast.
Beasts transformation was phenomenal.

And then they chose to crap on that with the way he's introduced to the team. It sticks out every time I watch First Class.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #172
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post

The announcing of names was no better in X1. Wolverine - himself using a codename - laughs at the fact the X-Men use codenames. That made no sense at all. And Rogue called herself Rogue for no real reason at all, it seemed so odd that she had given herself a superhero name at that point in the story.

At least the First Class scene showed camaraderie, warmth and humour - the sort of thing you'd expect from young people thrown together in that situation and finding themselves recruited (at that point) as covert agents for the CIA. To me it felt entirely natural.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM   #173
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

And then they chose to crap on that with the way he's introduced to the team. It sticks out every time I watch First Class.
The transformation was great, the roaring on the jet was fine. The walking through the white light was not very good at all.

It was an odd portrayal overall though. Hank was always of a big (almost ape-like) build in the comics, whereas in First Class it was just his feet and he was otherwise tall and thin. Plus, he had Quicksilver speed for some reason when he dashed around the mansion in the sprint against Xavier.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #174
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post

Yeah, the transformation was the best part. It was perfect and so was the music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
The transformation was great, the roaring on the jet was fine. The walking through the white light was not very good at all.

It was an odd portrayal overall though. Hank was always of a big (almost ape-like) build in the comics, whereas in First Class it was just his feet and he was otherwise tall and thin. Plus, he had Quicksilver speed for some reason when he dashed around the mansion in the sprint against Xavier.
Yeah, I didn't get the Quicksilver speed at all. And his build would have been closer to the comics if that one guy they planned as Beast hadn't dropped out of the role.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #175
JP
To me

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's the only time I cringe when watching the film. There's a few minor nitpicks I have, but that one takes the cake.

Closed Thread