The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:37 PM   #701
Viral
Side-Kick

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread

Great article about Lucas's plans for Star Wars through the years and the proof that there were meant to be 12 episodes!

http://www.starwars7news.com/2012/11...e-of-star.html

Last edited by Viral; 11-24-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #702
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

I don't think the prequels are all that bad, they just had really big shoes to fill. But all in all, they're better than Abrams's Star Trek IMO.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:02 PM   #703
Octoberist
point blank

I can see someone liking episode 2 and 3 but i just think Episode 1 is just plain unwatchable except for Maul and the use of locations and sets. I think it's gotten worse (for me) throughout the years too.

Anyway I prefer JJ's Star Trek over all three prequels or at least Episode 1 and 2.. Despite the logic jumps it has likable characters and its fun.

Last edited by Octoberist; 11-24-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM   #704
Nathan

Same here. Alone for the fact that acting and dialogue doesn't feel so awkward.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #705
GRangerPrimeNYC
AgentGodzillaRangerPrime

They should take some notes from JJ Abram's Star Trek tbh lol

They really need to balance the CGI use and pacing now.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #706
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

I'd be really angry if they retconned the prequels. I'm not a big fan of TPM or AOTC (infact, I hate AOTC), but it would seem very disrespectful to Lucas. Retconning those movies would also seem like a decade was wasted on movies that don't even matter.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #707
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I'd be really angry if they retconned the prequels. I'm not a big fan of TPM or AOTC (infact, I hate AOTC), but it would seem very disrespectful to Lucas. Retconning those movies would also seem like a decade was wasted on movies that don't even matter.
Yeah and it'd be a huge eff you to all of us who do enjoy the prequels. At worst, I'd guess they could just not mention stuff. Say Anakin was a great hero of the Clone Wars before his fall, but you don't have to mention his secret wife or anything specific unless it is relevant to the plot. If Disney retconned or erased the prequel canon, It'd pretty much ensure me ignoring their SW franchise as a whole.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #708
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Hah, I find that so funny. I would love the hell out of them if they rebooted the prequels. Maybe some would understand how some were pissed off of the changes that many prequel defenders (defend) with the Special Editions of the OT.

To me why would anyone be pissed if they made a better prequel? The story beats to a point would be the same, the fall of Anakin. Which to me could have been done 10000000000000 times better. I tire of looking at Vader in the OT and knowing that he was a whiny schizophrenic kid that turned for a cheesy, and terrible reason.

So I say I hope they do it.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #709
CGHulk
Green Guy

Obi-Wan Jacobi... I, Claudius star Derek reveals his desperation to reprise Alec Guinness's success in new Star Wars movies
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...rs-movies.html

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Old 11-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #710
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Hah, I find that so funny. I would love the hell out of them if they rebooted the prequels. Maybe some would understand how some were pissed off of the changes that many prequel defenders (defend) with the Special Editions of the OT.

To me why would anyone be pissed if they made a better prequel? The story beats to a point would be the same, the fall of Anakin. Which to me could have been done 10000000000000 times better. I tire of looking at Vader in the OT and knowing that he was a whiny schizophrenic kid that turned for a cheesy, and terrible reason.

So I say I hope they do it.
There's a pretty huge difference between making some changes and alterations and rebooting and remaking a whole trilogy that's been done before. I can understand why people dislike the SE but it's not like they remade whole scenes or an entire movie or deleted scenes. Deleting an entire trilogy and remaking it from the person they bought from would seem more like a stab in the back. "Hey we bought out your franchise and one of the first things we're gonna do is remake your prequel trilogy to please some of the people who didn't like your movies" It reeks of pandering too.

Now I know you're gonna say this is how Lucas treated fans with his changes but think of the differences. In comparison, the complaints are more exaggerated. People have every right to be unhappy about the changes though but this is a whole different thing.

For the people who wish what could have been... just move on. What's done is done. No point in complaining about what has been done in the past. It's not gonna make the unhappiness go away, it'll just fuel it. That's why I think it's a waste of time constantly complaining about things that you don't like, especially if its been seven years. Thats why this new trilogy is exciting. Because we all have something to look forward to and be optimistic about and look ahead what this has in store and hope for the best. Instead of just being negative all the time, this is a nice positive change.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."

Last edited by Doctor Jones; 11-26-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #711
Bim
Side-Kick

Remake the PT? ummm HELL NO

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 11-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #712
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
There's a pretty huge difference between making some changes and alterations and rebooting and remaking a whole trilogy that's been done before. I can understand why people dislike the SE but it's not like they remade whole scenes or an entire movie or deleted scenes. Deleting an entire trilogy and remaking it from the person they bought from would seem more like a stab in the back. "Hey we bought out your franchise and one of the first things we're gonna do is remake your prequel trilogy to please some of the people who didn't like your movies" It reeks of pandering too.

Now I know you're gonna say this is how Lucas treated fans with his changes but think of the differences. In comparison, the complaints are more exaggerated. People have every right to be unhappy about the changes though but this is a whole different thing.

For the people who wish what could have been... just move on. What's done is done. No point in complaining about what has been done in the past. It's not gonna make the unhappiness go away, it'll just fuel it. That's why I think it's a waste of time constantly complaining about things that you don't like, especially if its been seven years. Thats why this new trilogy is exciting. Because we all have something to look forward to and be optimistic about and look ahead what this has in store and hope for the best. Instead of just being negative all the time, this is a nice positive change.
I know the changes are much more by erasing those films, of course I never said otherwise, but I think the point is you would feel to a much greater extent of what we felt. Like you think it was uncesssary, so was the changes (most of them) in the SE's.

But, reboots are popular, stop saying.."This won't happen." People including myself were saying there is no way there will ever be more Star Wars and Lucas will not let go of it, we all thought if there was going to be anything it would be Katie taking over. But wow we were shown different. You even admitted you know that most people were not happy, or really hated the prequels. It's money for them, reboots are popular, and I think reboots are completely necessary especially when films were done poorly to most people.

However I can't say they will do this with a certainty, but int he future you never know, they very well may, especially if the sequel trilogy is loved and praised by most. The demand may swing that way. To me there is nothing wrong talking of a possible future with Star Wars after the new trilogy.

Old 11-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #713
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHulk View Post
Obi-Wan Jacobi... I, Claudius star Derek reveals his desperation to reprise Alec Guinness's success in new Star Wars movies
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...rs-movies.html
I don't know how I feel about someone so openly admitting that they'd only do it for the money. I mean, is he going to turn around after doing it and lambast it in interviews, calling it terrible or mindless fluff while laughing all the way to the bank?

At the very least, he's honest about it.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #714
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I can see someone liking episode 2 and 3 but i just think Episode 1 is just plain unwatchable except for Maul and the use of locations and sets. I think it's gotten worse (for me) throughout the years too.

Anyway I prefer JJ's Star Trek over all three prequels or at least Episode 1 and 2.. Despite the logic jumps it has likable characters and its fun.
I agree. I actually thought 2 and 3 were good films. I can tolerate the "romance" scenes in 2 and 3 enough to get to the good parts.

But...the Phantom Menace? I can't even watch it...there's ONE good scene in the entire movie...the final battle with Maul. Anytime I try to watch it I end up turning it off once they leave Naboo because there's this HUGE lull or boring time between then and when they finally return to Naboo.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #715
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
I agree. I actually thought 2 and 3 were good films. I can tolerate the "romance" scenes in 2 and 3 enough to get to the good parts.

But...the Phantom Menace? I can't even watch it...there's ONE good scene in the entire movie...the final battle with Maul. Anytime I try to watch it I end up turning it off once they leave Naboo because there's this HUGE lull or boring time between then and when they finally return to Naboo.
I can watch Episode 2 and 3 okay but yeah, my issues with Episode 1 is that it's not cohesive enough for me. The bulk of the narrative is boring senate hearings, talks of taxation and trade blockades, and other sci-fi political jargon. Zzz. Then the rest is the meandering adventures of Qui-Gon and the gang finding Anakin.

I understand that Lucas isn't going for an swashbuckling epic like A New Hope. He wanted to show a different piece of history in this universe and wow, he took a few missteps. The biggest crime was not Jake Llyod (well his line readings were flat as hell) but his dialog didn't make him sound like a kid. C3PO has more humility than Kid Anakin, and his arc is suppose to be thenarrative through line for this films? Oi Vey. Really, Kid Anakin is a terrible character.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #716
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I can watch Episode 2 and 3 okay but yeah, my issues with Episode 1 is that it's not cohesive enough for me. The bulk of the narrative is boring senate hearings, talks of taxation and trade blockades, and other sci-fi political jargon. Zzz. Then the rest is the meandering adventures of Qui-Gon and the gang finding Anakin.

I understand that Lucas isn't going for an swashbuckling epic like A New Hope. He wanted to show a different piece of history in this universe and wow, he took a few missteps. The biggest crime was not Jake Llyod (well his line readings were flat as hell) but his dialog didn't make him sound like a kid. C3PO has more humility than Kid Anakin, and his arc is suppose to be thenarrative through line for this films? Oi Vey. Really, Kid Anakin is a terrible character.
For sure...he IS the weakest link. I guess it felt like Anakin was supposed to be the most important part of the story...but so much was glossed over. Was he really born from the Force? There were like two lines regarding that and the rest of the film they just sort of ignore it. For such an important figure like Qui-Gon believed him to be...Anakin ended up being a tag-a-long character with no real influence to the rest of the story. Heck, I can't even remember what the story of the film was. haha Saving Naboo? I guess that's it...

Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #717
Professor_X
Newbie First Class

Spike TV just played the saga this weekend and I haven't seen the PT in such a long, long time. I actually found myself enjoying TPM. It's got rough spots for sure, Kid Anakin has always been a weak point, and it's rather boring and doesn't really make any sense plot wise. But at least, it honestly feels like a movie. There's a beginning, a middle and an end. It also seems the most original. There's an intent to establish a world, a galaxy that I find interesting and enjoyable.

I've always hated AOTC, the story, the unintelligent character choices, the frantic editing, the pacing, the special effects, etc. And ROTS has a nice wrap up but still haven't watched it much since it came out in theaters.

I'm very hopeful for the ST though.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #718
CGHulk
Green Guy

Producer Rick McCallum Has Quietly Retired From Lucasfilm
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...sfilm-20121126

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Old 11-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #719
Octoberist
point blank

Rick seems to be an okay guy, serving as the mouthpiece for Lucasfilm. He did annoy me at one point due to his 'yes man' vibe I got during the prequel days but that's water under the bridge. (I'm being nice btw. Maybe a little too nice because I thought he was a tool back then.)

Like most of you I'm thinking the same thing: the timing of his retirement is suspect and quiet. I don't think he got kicked out but I wouldn't surprised if his services weren't required anymore. (Forced out. Pun intended.)

I wish Rick the best however.

Last edited by Octoberist; 11-26-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #720
Octoberist
point blank

"It's so dense, every shot has so many things going on...."

Old 11-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #721
CGHulk
Green Guy

IGN Profiles Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...hind-star-wars

Old 11-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #722
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I don't know how I feel about someone so openly admitting that they'd only do it for the money. I mean, is he going to turn around after doing it and lambast it in interviews, calling it terrible or mindless fluff while laughing all the way to the bank?

At the very least, he's honest about it.
He's honest about it but it won't get him a job. If you're a casting director and saw this article, it'll be a turn off.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #723
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I know the changes are much more by erasing those films, of course I never said otherwise, but I think the point is you would feel to a much greater extent of what we felt. Like you think it was uncesssary, so was the changes (most of them) in the SE's.

But, reboots are popular, stop saying.."This won't happen." People including myself were saying there is no way there will ever be more Star Wars and Lucas will not let go of it, we all thought if there was going to be anything it would be Katie taking over. But wow we were shown different. You even admitted you know that most people were not happy, or really hated the prequels. It's money for them, reboots are popular, and I think reboots are completely necessary especially when films were done poorly to most people.

However I can't say they will do this with a certainty, but int he future you never know, they very well may, especially if the sequel trilogy is loved and praised by most. The demand may swing that way. To me there is nothing wrong talking of a possible future with Star Wars after the new trilogy.
Yes, so let's not reboot them then. It just adds more divisivenes to the fanbase and doesn't help things. That's why I'm understanding to you. There's no reason other than money. It's just going backwards. They should be movimg forward. Not to mention it will be confusing as hell. Plus I don't get people being fine with remaking the prequels when they complain about the predictability of them and the reliance of the originals. Better films would still have this and the same story beats. It makes no sense because no matter the quality, strip it down they are the essentials we have already seen before.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible. And we count these moments. These moments when we dare to aim higher. To break barriers... to reach for the stars... to make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that. Or perhaps we've just forgotten that we're still pioneers... that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us. That our destiny lies above us."
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #724
Octoberist
point blank

Rebooting the PT won't solve anything. It's time to evolve. If you wanna go back in time, let's do it 'Old Republic' style..

Old 11-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #725
paladinryan
Side-Kick

"Ewok Actor says Ewoks Misunderstood":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2193033.html

Quote:
For many, Ewoks served as the cute and cuddly mascots for the "Star Wars" films. But Warwick Davis, who played an Ewok named Wicket in "Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi," says that they weren't as snuggly as they seemed.

"There are Star Wars fans who don’t appreciate Ewoks for what they were," Davis said in an interview with the UK's Metro. "We kicked arse and helped the rebels defeat the Empire. Without us, what would have happened? But some people see Ewoks as an excuse to sell merchandise; they were ‘too cute’ and so on. That’s a minority view within the Star Wars community. When I go to the events, everyone is usually happy to see me. Those are the sort of people who look forward to playing the Star Wars video games where you get to be a Stormtrooper and kill Ewoks. They know who they are."

Closed Thread