Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #751
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Good God, enough with Boba Fett. He did nothing significant in the original films and Lucas only included that ridiculous backstory in the prequels as BJ to the fanboys. I don't want to see any reference to Boba Fett, his daddy Jango Fett or his son Foot Fett anywhere in the new movies.
I think Boba Fett and to a lesser extent Darth Maul get so much fanboyism simply because they look cool.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #752
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

That's basically it. They looked cool and acted like badasses for the short amount of screentime they had.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #753
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I think Boba Fett and to a lesser extent Darth Maul get so much fanboyism simply because they look cool.
Bingo. Darth Maul was practically a non-character. He had a couple cool fight scenes, but nearly no lines. And while the "silent badass" approach can work really well for some villains (Kroenen in Hellboy, Lurtz in The Fellowship of the Ring, hell, even Michael Myers), Maul didn't have the presence of any of these characters.

And Boba Fett was even worse. I remember the first time I heard a fanboy going on about how awesome he was and it took me a bit of time to even realize what character he was talking about because he did so little in the movie. I personally never even thought he looked that cool.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #754
Professor_X
Side-Kick

Boba Fett is cool, but he doesn't deserve any more screen time.

It was always sort of a shame that Maul was only in TPM. I think a major problem with the PT was that their was a new villain in each movie. I think it would have rocked to see Maul come back. It would have shown the audience that even though defeated, with cybernetic technology, the villain could return. It would also allow Anakin to fight him in the later movies, partly for revenge for killy Qui-gon, but also partly to ssentially take his place in the form of Darth Vader. The symbolism would have been continuous. I don't want to knock Lucas, and imply that I know better...but damn. I always thought it would have been better, story-wise to have one villain.

That's why I think for the new trilogy we need to stick to one major baddie.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #755
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Bingo. Darth Maul was practically a non-character. He had a couple cool fight scenes, but nearly no lines. And while the "silent badass" approach can work really well for some villains (Kroenen in Hellboy, Lurtz in The Fellowship of the Ring, hell, even Michael Myers), Maul didn't have the presence of any of these characters.

And Boba Fett was even worse. I remember the first time I heard a fanboy going on about how awesome he was and it took me a bit of time to even realize what character he was talking about because he did so little in the movie. I personally never even thought he looked that cool.
IG-88 for the win.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #756
paladinryan
Clumsy as he is stupid

Disney Chief on How He Kept Star Wars VII a Secret [Vulture]

KEY: Rumors have been flying lately that X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn will helm Episode VII, and Horn demurred from confirming the buzz, though he set the timetable for an announcement on that front: "I would say you'll know soon. And it's got to come from Kathy Kennedy — we don't have the company yet!" Still, Horn said that fans should rest assured that Disney has the franchise's best interests at heart. "We take very seriously the obligation to make a very good movie. Kathy is a very experienced producer; George Lucas is the godfather of that franchise and very, very involved on a consulting basis, so we feel very confident."

Whole Article:

Quote:
Disney's got a lot to tout these days, and last night at the Beverly Hills Hotel, studio chairman Alan Horn threw a party celebrating the company's successful 2012 animation slate, which includes Brave, Frankenweenie, and Wreck-It Ralph. Still, if there's one accomplishment Horn should be proudest of, it's that earth-shaking acquisition the company pulled off last month: Not only did Disney begin proceedings to buy Lucasfilm (where Kathleen Kennedy will replace George Lucas as the head of the company), but out of nowhere, the studio announced Star Wars: Episode VII for 2015. How did they manage to keep that shockaroo totally secret until the bombshell press release went out? "We threatened everybody with a blast from the Death Star!" Horn told me last night, laughing.
"But really, I think everybody was mature about it," he continued. "It's important to keep these things confidential, so people just kept their mouths shut." How many people knew about Episode VII? "Not many. It was a very small group. Probably a smaller group than knew about the attack on bin Laden!"
Rumors have been flying lately that X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn will helm Episode VII, and Horn demurred from confirming the buzz, though he set the timetable for an announcement on that front: "I would say you'll know soon. And it's got to come from Kathy Kennedy — we don't have the company yet!" Still, Horn said that fans should rest assured that Disney has the franchise's best interests at heart. "We take very seriously the obligation to make a very good movie. Kathy is a very experienced producer; George Lucas is the godfather of that franchise and very, very involved on a consulting basis, so we feel very confident."
In fact, Horn has been a huge Star Wars fan since the first installment was in theaters. "In 1977, I saw it at the Avco on Wilshire Boulevard — unlike most people here, I was probably in my early forties then," he said. "I remember racing home and thinking, What am I doing? Why am I driving a hundred miles an hour down Wilshire Boulevard? But I was so psyched by the film, so I remember it very well. Where were you? In kindergarten?"
"Not yet born," I replied.
He made a face.
I asked him what he was proudest of this year: the Lucasfilm acquisition or the big-screen career of his daughter Cody, who played Channing Tatum's love interest in Magic Mike. Horn chuckled. "I feel proudest always of my family, including my other daughter, who graduated just a few months ago from Stanford, and my wife. But I'm most proud of the fact that I've been allowed to join this fabulous company."
And why not? Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, Marvel, and Pixar, there's nothing left for any other studio!
"That's our plan," he laughed.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM   #757
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladinryan View Post
Disney Chief on How He Kept Star Wars VII a Secret [Vulture]

KEY: Rumors have been flying lately that X-Men: First Class director Matthew Vaughn will helm Episode VII, and Horn demurred from confirming the buzz, though he set the timetable for an announcement on that front: "I would say you'll know soon. And it's got to come from Kathy Kennedy — we don't have the company yet!" Still, Horn said that fans should rest assured that Disney has the franchise's best interests at heart. "We take very seriously the obligation to make a very good movie. Kathy is a very experienced producer; George Lucas is the godfather of that franchise and very, very involved on a consulting basis, so we feel very confident."

Whole Article:
I knew, They are building The Empire

Old 11-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #758
HowardStark
Banned User

I am betting Lucas had the script ready disney just wanted to have a writer go over them so not to get anymore fan backlash. I am guessing Star Wars would be worth leaving XMen First Class Sequel For.

I am betting everything was set in motion when they started this whole releasing all 6 movies in 3D buisness.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #759
paladinryan
Clumsy as he is stupid

George Lucas and Kathleen Kennedy high on David Fincher to direct Star Wars.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #760
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
It appear Ewan McGregor is also willing to appear in the next SW if asked: http://www.tmz.com/2012/11/29/ewan-m...r-wars-disney/

Obi-Wan Kenobi WILL be returning to the new "Star Wars" movies -- at least if Ewan McGregor has any say ... telling TMZ, he'd happily reprise his role as the Jedi Master in the next installment.

McGregor was out at the Chateau Marmont in Hollywood Tuesday night when we asked if he was down with the new movies -- and Ewan said Ew-betcha.

As we reported, Lucasfilms was bought out by Disney for $4 BILLION -- and the studio is already planning several more SW movies.

Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia) and Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian) have also said they want in on the new flicks.

I could go for old Ben making a force ghostie appearance to Luke. They can age Ewan if need be
Why would Obi Wan be in it? That makes no sense...i'm sure it's just very wishful thinking. His purpose ended at the end of Return of the Jedi.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #761
HowardStark
Banned User

I am sure there is stuff Ghost Form still needed for Obi Wan or Yoda yet. Lets face its Guinness is dead but Ewan is best option to Old Obi Wan they can use.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #762
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Fincher & Vaughn wouldn't be bad choices although I'm kind of sick of X-Men directors leaving for other films.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #763
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

the X-franchise is the taylor swify of superhero movies.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #764
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Why would Obi Wan be in it? That makes no sense...i'm sure it's just very wishful thinking. His purpose ended at the end of Return of the Jedi.
Hey, if people are allowed to have their dreams of random EU SW characters showing up, i say force ghost Obi-Wan can be mine and he makes more sense than some of the other characters . Besides, it could be a minor cameo of him giving Luke some advice at some point, kinda like what he was in ESB and ROTJ.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 11-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #765
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

No Fincher. He'd do great, sure, but this doesn't seem like his cup of tea. I'd rather have him do different projects.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #766
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
No Fincher. He'd do great, sure, but this doesn't seem like his cup of tea. I'd rather have him do different projects.
He would do one and then do something else. It's his style. I'd like to see it.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:21 PM   #767
Matt Mortem
Mr. Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
He would do one and then do something else. It's his style. I'd like to see it.
Maybe have Fincher do one of the spin-off's that are rumored, but I don't think I'd want him for Episode 7. Besides, I want sequels to Girl With The Dragon Tattoo more than I want a Fincher Star Wars.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #768
paladinryan
Clumsy as he is stupid

The first rule of the New Jedi Order is: YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE NEW JEDI ORDER.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 PM   #769
HowardStark
Banned User

I think Jon Farvouro makes most since off the list. Wonder if Robert Downey Jr would play a Jedi or a Bad senator.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #770
Professor_X
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardStark View Post
I think Jon Farvouro makes most since off the list. Wonder if Robert Downey would play a Jedi or a Bad senator.

He'd just play Iron-man. With a lightsaber

Old 11-30-2012, 06:32 PM   #771
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
If he's interested, then it would be. He would know about what he likes better than us.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #772
fireflyhatter
Side-Kick

David Fincher's Halo 4 commercial was pretty cool...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ThOTsWW9Y

Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #773
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyhatter View Post
David Fincher's Halo 4 commercial was pretty cool...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8ThOTsWW9Y
Awesome, didn't know he was involved in that.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #774
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Quote:
Good God, enough with Boba Fett. He did nothing significant in the original films and Lucas only included that ridiculous backstory in the prequels as BJ to the fanboys. I don't want to see any reference to Boba Fett, his daddy Jango Fett or his son Foot Fett anywhere in the new movies.
Have fun with that. The Fetts sell merchandise & Disney's definitely going to capitalize on that.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #775
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Army of Fetts. Deal with it.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Closed Thread