The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 AM   #1
Lord
All Mighty

Default Revenge of the Sith Apreciation Thread

Usually considered the best of the Prequels, on the good days it may be considered a good film, while on bad days it's hated and put alongside Episodes I and II.

What is your opinion on Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith?

Discuss

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #2
HarryOsborn
Side-Kick

Default Re: Revenge of the Sith Apreciation Thread

It's a more solid film than the other two prequels. Suffers from poor acting though. I never understood what was so wrong with Hayden's acting, but after trying to make a fan edit of the film and taking snippets it REALLY stood out to me. All around though it's a decent film, my only complaints are fanboy based.

HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Bim
Side-Kick

I love ROTS. It's definitely my favorite one out of the PT, and it's second only to ANH, which sits firmly as the #1 SW movie for me.

My favorite aspect of it was Obi-Wan (of course lol). I found his story to be pretty darn interesting and compelling, even though i still gripe about the fact that Obi should have had Qui-Gon's role in TPM, but let's move on from that lol. Ewan transitioned so beautifully into Sir Alec's Ben, and that's why Kenobi sits now as my favorite SW character. Before it was Han Solo.

I also love Palpatine/Sidious. Ian to me was solid. Yes, even his over the top moment when confrontic Mace and later Yoda. He was a sith who had just come out of the closet so to speak, and was ready to gloat and let it all out.

Anakin/Vader was a sad transition. I could see why Anakin turned, and while the moment he turned was called rushed by some, to me that had been a long time coming. When they finally put the mask on him (such an amazing moment btw! still gives me chills when he takes his first breath) he was already one messed up individual. The PT showed me how a good person can take a wrong path. I had always thought of Vader as a bad guy, period. But knowing now he was good makes his story a lot more interesting to me. Minus a couple of weird moments, i thought Hayden sold Anakin's issues rather well, and i think he gets put down way more than he should be. But hey, everyone has their opinions and i'm fine with those who disagree with me.

Other highlights for me: Order 66, the entire opening sequence, the duel (of course), Boga (i loved that noisy little thing!), Yoda vs Sids, and of course the end. Hope despite the darkness that fills the galaxy.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #4
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Revenge of the Sith is my favourite of the six films, and one of my favourite films.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:15 PM   #5
BigSams50
J! E! T! S! JETS!

I love ROTS. My only gripe with it however, is how (in my opinion at least0, Anakins turn didnt really seem that organic. It just seems so forced. Maybe its bad acting on haydens part, or just the script itself.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:43 PM   #6
Bim
Side-Kick

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
Lord
All Mighty

This film was what got me into star wars when i was around 9 years old, i now see plenty of flaws, and while i still have a soft spot for some of it, i feel like all the Prequels had plenty of missed potential.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 AM   #8
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
i still gripe about the fact that Obi should have had Qui-Gon's role in TPM
Obi-Wan has to go from Padawan to Jedi to Jedi Master to show us the normal transition,so we can see how it goes wrong with Anakin.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:14 AM   #9
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSams50 View Post
I love ROTS.
Me too.

Apart from the five lightsaber battles, the rise of the Emperor, the collapse of the senate, Anakin turning to the dark side, the improved Yoda CGI, generally better acting, loads of action, and a sense of danger and urgency the other prequels were missing....I love the ending, with Luke delivered to Owen and Beru. Star Wars ended where it started - in the middle.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Loved the movie, its my fantasy movie which I always wanted to be made since I was a kid and saw original trilogy in late 80s. I think its a great tragic story with terrific score and a very sad ending to the movie and the entire prequel saga. The Anaking Obi duel was too long to the point it started to drag. What did infuriate me in the theater is how fast Anakin gave up to Palpatine tho. When he went from shock/cry of "what have I done" almost instantly to "Ill do whatever you ask" I almost got up from my seat to shout "what!?". It was too rushed, but aside from that, loved it, warts and all

Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

A lot of the problems people have with Anakin's "sudden" turn seems to stem from the fact that they expected him to be this "dark" kid,who would spend his spare time torturing Womp Rats with a lightsaber.

His turn to the Dark Side was against his very nature.That's what makes it tragic.He has no love for The Emperor,but he sold himself out.It was a means to an end,which backfired since he lost the woman he turned for,and lost most of his great abilities to living in a walking iron lung.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
A lot of the problems people have with Anakin's "sudden" turn seems to stem from the fact that they expected him to be this "dark" kid,who would spend his spare time torturing Womp Rats with a lightsaber.

His turn to the Dark Side was against his very nature.That's what makes it tragic.He has no love for The Emperor,but he sold himself out.It was a means to an end,which backfired since he lost the woman he turned for,and lost most of his great abilities to living in a walking iron lung.
It's actualy the opposite, people expected him to be more heroic and likeable, not a kid who murdered sand kids in his spare time, and in the films he did have love for the emperor, they were pretty much buddies.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #13
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
It's actualy the opposite, people expected him to be more heroic and likeable, not a kid who murdered sand kids in his spare time, and in the films he did have love for the emperor, they were pretty much buddies.
That kinda proves my point,on the one hand he had the rage within him to slaughter people,but he still was sensitive enough to realize he wasn't a stone cold killer by nature.

He wasn't exactly "buddies" with the Emperor.He was conspiring to have Luke team up with him to overthrow the Emperor.(Not to mention,the Emperor wasted no time in trying to replace Vader with Luke.)He was basically stuck with the Emperor when he played his hand against the Jedi and Obi Wan beat him in the dual.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:36 PM   #14
Lord
All Mighty

I'm not sure what you mean? The problem in the prequels has been that Anakin has been way too psychotic before he turned into Darth Vader, making him seem like a monster way before his turn.

He was buddies with the Emperor in the Prequels, i know he was ready to bertray his master in the Originals if Luke had joined him.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean? The problem in the prequels has been that Anakin has been way too psychotic before he turned into Darth Vader, making him seem like a monster way before his turn.
Well,I'm just going by the complaints I've heard,myself.Most people act like "Anakin was a cute kid,then a whiny teen,not enough bad*** Jedi" which leads me to believe people wanted him to be the "bad cop" (which he kinda was) Force choking people left and right.

I don't know that I'd call him "psychotic",certainly troubled.The issue with the Sandpeople was an emotional trauma that made him "snap" and he never fully recovered after that.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:22 AM   #16
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Yes, what I've heard is that the prequels were bad because Anakin became bad instantly having been plain good beforehand.

I think the prequels are fine, personally. They're not great, but I enjoy them, and a lot of stuff people think is great I think is ****.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #17
Lord
All Mighty

I think The Clone Wars show was what his personality should have been like, a heroic warrior with some shades of the dark side, he could even be arrogant sometimes.

Kinda strange to see the CGI awkwardly put in the film, while Harry Potter 4 came out that same year and still looks realy good almost a decade later.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #18
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

It's a good film with some crap love scene dialogue, a disappointing General Grievous and most importantly most of its significance as what should have been the biggest film event of all time taken away by its predecessors (especially TPM for me). In other circumstances and with certain elements improved it could have really delivered as the culmination of such an epic story. Good effort given the starting point and Hayden Christensen was a lot better than in AOTC.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #19
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think The Clone Wars show was what his personality should have been like, a heroic warrior with some shades of the dark side, he could even be arrogant sometimes.
But how many episodes of CW did we get that helped us see more of his personality though? Lots. I think the movies had a direction and a specific story to tell, and there wasnt much room for the little stories, battles and adventures that we saw in the show. I'm happy we got to see them in CW. I believe his characterization was very subtly implied in the movies at times, and a lot of it got lost in the midst of all the complaining.

My one wish is that we would have gotten to see the darker episodes in CW of events that led to ROTS. I've always had the impression that by the time we see Anakin in ROTS he was very troubled, so to me his turn didnt seem rushed. He was living a double life basically since he got married (living a lie like Padme said), and that took its toll, not to mention Palpatine whispering in his ear. Clone Wars helped me see i was on the right track. But i wish i would have had more.

Last edited by Bim; 10-07-2014 at 12:09 PM.