The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #51
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Here is a bit of news I think you'll get a kick out, I found this IGN. ....lol

Is Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith a Work of Art?

Famed art critic calls Episode III the greatest artwork in 30 years.

by Max Nicholson
November 29, 2012

In her new book called Glittering Images, renowned art critic Camille Paglia analyzes 29 works throughout art history. In the book's final chapter, she makes a rather bold claim in support of George Lucas's Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith, calling it the greatest work of art in recent memory.
In an interview with Vice, Paglia was asked why she felt this particular film stood out among other artworks from artists like Matthew Barney, Rachel Whiteread, Chris Ware or Peter Doig. In reply, Paglia explained, "The long finale of Revenge of the Sith has more inherent artistic value, emotional power, and global impact than anything by the artists you name. It's because the art world has flat-lined and become an echo chamber of received opinion and toxic over-praise. It's like the emperor's new clothes -- people are too intimidated to admit what they secretly think or what they might think with their blinders off."

Indeed, Paglia continues, Episode III epitomizes the modern digital art movement, more so than other piece from the last 30 years. "I had considered using Japanese anime for the digital art chapter of the book, but it lacked the overwhelming operatic power and yes, seriousness of Lucas's Revenge of the Sith." An interesting choice to represent the emotional and visual power of modern cinema, no?
Do you agree with Paglia that ROTS is our generation's greatest work of art? Or does another film strike your fancy for the title? Let us know what you think in the Comments.

and here is an official link http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...-a-work-of-art

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40 AM   #52
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I love this Paglia guy.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:42 PM   #53
Bim
Side-Kick

Well that was refreshing

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #54
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Well, that's certainly an interesting take on things... Can't say that I agree with any of it though.

Bim, I love, and have always loved your avatar. What's it from?

CoolCadaver49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #55
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
Bim, I love, and have always loved your avatar. What's it from?
Thanks! I've no idea where it's from though, since it was Hunter that sent it my way

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 01-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #56
CGHulk
Green Guy

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 01-02-2013 at 02:57 AM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 AM   #57
Paradox1
Side-Kick

Wow never appreciated how good Natalie portman looks in that costume. An ass like that would make me turn to the darkside too.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #58
Doc Ock
10 years ago...

Lol! I do think most of the characters looked their best in AOTC, particularly Anakin and Padme. Although Obi looks awesome in all the films

Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #59
BenKenobi
Banned User

One thing I really liked was the ending of Revenge of the Sith. The atmosphere, the lighting everything felt like classic Star Wars. The Star Destroyer deck especially was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. It's not secret I'm not as thrilled over these movies as I was when I was younger but I still think the ending of Sith was great.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #60
CGHulk
Green Guy

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 01-02-2013 at 11:44 PM.
CGHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:32 AM   #61
DaltonSpidey94
Side-Kick

I love the prequels and I like both Revenge of the Sith and The Phantom Menace better than the original trilogy.

Also . . . I love Jar Jar Binks. Yep.

DaltonSpidey94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #62
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Watched The Phantom Menace today for the first time in what must be 10 years (finally got all the SW films on BD), and it was much better than I remember. There are still some amazingly cringey things in it like "YIPPEE," Jar Jar and some others, but overall I enjoyed it much more than I used too.

Qui-Gon and Darth Maul were awesome, Natalie was a potential hotty along with Keira Knightley in her small role (and we all know they ended up being those hottys now), plus Ewan was awesome as Obi-Wan. Replacing the puppett Yoda with a CGI one was much smoother than I was expecting as well. Consdering I always thought TPM the worst of the series, I cant wait to watch the other prequels again now.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #63
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Consdering I always thought TPM the worst of the series, I cant wait to watch the other prequels again now.
I thought ROTS in particular was a real treat to watch in blu-ray. I keep noticing things i hadnt before every time i watch.

I also loved CGI Yoda in TPM. The puppet always looked so strange to me lol, i guess i blame the fact that i had only seen the OT and was comparing his looks to that.

Last edited by Bim; 01-24-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:14 PM   #64
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Just watched AOTC earlier as well, that was great to watch on BD, though some of the poorer effects show up, the bits were the CGI was spot on were indeed a treat. Again though AOTC was also better than I remember it, looking forward to watching ROTS.

Yeah CGI Yoda just flowed more naturally for me, the puppet in TPM always looked like exactly what he was, a puppet. This wasnt the case in ESB or ROTJ were the puppet worked well.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #65
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

AotC took the biggest hit in BR format, its CGI are REALLY dated. TPM is saved by the many real sets and RotS' CGI is mindblowing and still look real.

Puppet Yoda was puss, so glad they used RotS' Yoda to replace it.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #66
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^Just watched AOTC earlier as well, that was great to watch on BD, though some of the poorer effects show up, the bits were the CGI was spot on were indeed a treat. Again though AOTC was also better than I remember it, looking forward to watching ROTS.

Yeah CGI Yoda just flowed more naturally for me, the puppet in TPM always looked like exactly what he was, a puppet. This wasnt the case in ESB or ROTJ were the puppet worked well.
Yeah, i find that out of the prequels AOTC is the one that hasnt aged as well in some parts (like the robot factory bit; it's one of the things about the movie that i dont like much cause it feels unnecesary), especially when compared to the other two. Nice to see the movies have been better than what u remembered though Enjoy ROTS. I'll say it again: seeing it in blu-ray is a whole new experience.

I just think that TPM puppet contrasted way too much with what we had seen of Yoda in the OT. Something just felt off, and i cant quite tell u what it was.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:55 AM   #67
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Yeah, i find that out of the prequels AOTC is the one that hasnt aged as well in some parts (like the robot factory bit; it's one of the things about the movie that i dont like much cause it feels unnecesary)
Didn't help that it was written, designed and shot last minute.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #68
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Didn't help that it was written, designed and shot last minute.
Yeah, something i wish they hadnt done. I'm one who loved humor, but some of that stuff was just too much for me. 3PO always annoyed me somewhat and that sequence made it worse lol.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #69
Doc Ock
10 years ago...

I don't care what anyone says, AOTC is my favorite of the Prequels.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:13 PM   #70
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

People really bash the prequel trilogy too much. It's not as good as the original trilogy, but it still has some cool moments.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #71
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Many many more than some, imo.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #72
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: No More ‘Star Wars’ 3D Prequel Releases; Lucasfilm Passes To Focus On New Trilogy

"I learned of this decision just now from Lucasfilm‘s promotional partners who are telling me the studio now owned by Disney wants to focus only on “rebooting the franchise” with three new Star Wars films. This surprising decision follows the underwhelming box office performance of Episode I: The Phantom Menace re-released in 3D in February 2012. It debuted to only $23M domestically but maybe even more importantly hardcore fans felt it was yet another craven cash grab by George Lucas. Back in September 2010, Lucasfilm and then-distributor Fox announced that all 6 films in the Star Wars franchise would be converted to 3D. Episode II: Attack Of The Clones (first released on May 16, 2002) was to hit theaters in 3D on September 20th, 2013, while Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith (first released on May 19, 2005) was to play in 3D on October 11, 2013. This news comes just days after Disney confirmed that J.J. Abrams will direct the new Star Wars: Episode VII scheduled to be released in 2015. It’s the first new Star Wars movie since 2005. Michael Arndt is writing the script. Disney bought Lucasfilm in October 2012 for $4 billion, with the Star Wars franchise obviously the jewel in the crown. At the time, Disney CEO Bob Iger said three more Star Wars films were in the pipeline."
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/excl...n-new-trilogy/

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

TheIrishAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #73
Bim
Side-Kick

I'm sad

Old 01-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #74
MistaBinks
Side-Kick

Interesting that SW.com said postponed instead of canceled.

I'm curious why many of the media outlets claim that TPM 3D underperformed. How much was it supposed to make? It was a 1999 film that was just released on Blu Ray a few months prior that many people already owned on DVD and VHS. Was it supposed it gross 100 million domestically?

MistaBinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:00 AM   #75
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Terrence Stamp, who played Chancellor Valorum in STAR WARS: EPISODE I- THE PHANTOM MENACE, recently spoke with Empire about his experience working with George Lucas.

Quote:
"We didn't get on at all. I didn't rate him that much as a director, really. I didn't feel like he was a director of actors; he was more interested in stuff and effects. He didn't interest me and I wouldn't think I interested him. I came all the way back from Australia to do it. I didn't want to but my agent leaned on me and I wanted to meet Natalie Portman because I'd seen her in The Professional. And I did meet her and she was absolutely enchanting. But on the day I'm supposed to do my scene with her, for which I'd travelled halfway around the world, I said, 'Where's Natalie?' And George says, 'That's Natalie,' and points to a bit of paper on the wall. It was just boring."
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tere...f-george-lucas

H.E.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote