The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episodes I - III

Old 01-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #151
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Default Re: The Prequel Trilogy General Discussion and Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Yeah, i like Siri. I always wished she would have been included in the films. I also wish we would have gotten a lot more than a very tiny cameo and a mention of Quinlan Vos.
I think it was still great we got a mention of Vos, but a little more would of been cool indeed.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 AM   #152
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
Yeah, i like Siri. I always wished she would have been included in the films. I also wish we would have gotten a lot more than a very tiny cameo and a mention of Quinlan Vos.
Me too.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #153
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I decided to pop in my Star Wars Blu-Rays because I couldn't sleep and was bored, and am once again struck by just how good The Phantom Menace is when you cut through all the overblown negativity that is associated with it.

The first 20 minutes are particularly good, with Ewan, Liam, and Ahmed/Jar Jar (who, in spite of the immense and unwarranted hatred he gets, is actually a decent character) playing off of one another brilliantly and giving the film some great early comedic moments.

Things only get better from there, with the Podrace, the scenes between Palpatine and Amidala on Coruscant, and the triple-battle climax also standing out as seminal moments.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #154
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
The line doesn't make sense because it's an oxymoron and contradictory. Saying only the Sith deal in absolutes is an absolute in of itself.
But I think that helps show the intellectual bankruptcy of the jedi.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #155
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I'm late to this party, but just to contribute nothing new, I like Episodes 1 and 3 but have a very hard time with Episode 2, and even then I enjoy it more than a lot of recent garbage like Iron Man 3 or Star Trek into Darkness. I am aware of most of the criticisms but I think if that level of analysis was applied universally very few movies would hold up well.

DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 PM   #156
bullets
bang bang

I just watched episode 3 on blu ray. It looks gorgeous. Such awesome cgi , especially on Yoda. I still get goosebumps watching the last couple scenes

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:35 PM   #157
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I decided to pop in my Star Wars Blu-Rays because I couldn't sleep and was bored, and am once again struck by just how good The Phantom Menace is when you cut through all the overblown negativity that is associated with it.

The first 20 minutes are particularly good, with Ewan, Liam, and Ahmed/Jar Jar (who, in spite of the immense and unwarranted hatred he gets, is actually a decent character) playing off of one another brilliantly and giving the film some great early comedic moments.

Things only get better from there, with the Podrace, the scenes between Palpatine and Amidala on Coruscant, and the triple-battle climax also standing out as seminal moments.
I personally think TPM is the best prequel, and massively underrated (I think ROTS gets a fair amount of love, and my opinion of AOTC has changed...into a bit of the negativity area.)

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #158
Thoix
Side-Kick

It may be because of nostalgia and/or for growing up with these movies, but I honestly enjoy the prequels more than the original films. Say what you will, but I find the story to be stronger, and while it could have been executed better, much more interesting than what is presented in the original trilogy. I do have problems with the prequels, but I still love them.

Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:56 AM   #159
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I'm rewatching Revenge of the Sith right now, and have come to a conclusion that had never occurred to me before: Anakin and Padme share a Force connection. It's the only way to explain the scene where she gets up and goes to stare out the window of her apartment suite at the exact moment Anakin is doing likewise inside the Jedi Temple.

"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #160
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

That's one of the best scenes in the series, and pieces of music score.

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
A Necessary Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 AM   #161
Lord
All Mighty

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #162
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I'm rewatching Revenge of the Sith right now, and have come to a conclusion that had never occurred to me before: Anakin and Padme share a Force connection. It's the only way to explain the scene where she gets up and goes to stare out the window of her apartment suite at the exact moment Anakin is doing likewise inside the Jedi Temple.
My impression has always been that the fact that she was pregnant with very powerful force users connected them even more so than before she was pregnant.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #163
batfreakforever
A real fan

Older fans don't like the prequels simply because they realised these films are for familys and kids. Plus they didn't understand or listen to lucus reasons for making the prequels.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:25 AM   #164
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I wish Anakin's character in the prequel trilogy was more like he was later on TCW series.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #165
Bim
Side-Kick

To be fair, we had 6 seasons of CW, so they had more of a chance to flesh the character out. The movies show, in my opinion of course, pivotal moments for Anakin, but with CW they were able to dive in more on the adventures that got us there.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #166
Dominikkus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
I wish Anakin's character in the prequel trilogy was more like he was later on TCW series.
I don't. At all. The Anakin in TCW was not Hayden's Anakin. Hayden played Anakin perfectly to a t. He was the whining and emotional Jedi that Anakin was and Hayden succeeded at that. I loved Anakin in AOTC and ROTS, not the one in TCW.

Dominikkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #167
warhorse78
Side-Kick

I watched TPM and AOTC last night. AOTC is still my second favorite SW movie, second to only ESB. I just really loved the whole brotherly bond that Obi Wan and Anakin had, the bad ass of Mace, Yoda and Padme, the detective work with Obi Wan, and the gladiator type scenario. And I loved the reveal of the Storm Troopers.

warhorse78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:13 AM   #168
Lord
All Mighty

The bits with Dooku in AotC now looks a bit clunky for me, i really didn't like some of those battles and his confrontation with Yoda was just weird, i would expect both to be more creative with the force, not throw things for the other to catch. As a kid i think we kinda liked Anakin, i guess we could relate a bit with his whiny atitude, but after revisiting them various times as i grew up, i see plenty of waster potential, TCW cartoon is for me what makes that period bearable and not completely irredeemable.

When i try to looks at the two trilogies together, they just can't fit properly, they almost look like two sides of a completely different coin, Lucas shouldn't have overused the CGI much, and the look of the film should have been closer to that of films like Oblivion or his early scripts, with these organic visuals.

I liked the idea for the Clones, but he also needed to put more of the normal people from the SW universe as part of the action, i liked an idea given in RLM where the SW universe had been at war for so long and that normal people had to enlist in the army, explaining why they were already accostumed to that brutality.

Making the Jedi just "chosen people" and giving lightsabers to every single Jedi was not a very bright idea either, i think it went against the Emperor and Yoda characters, hell, the usual force user should be the ones using lightsabers or other weapons, but the advanced masters, the ones who know the deep workings of the force, shouldn't need them at all, they should be able to crush one of those with a thought, or even stop an heart from beating with their will, in Return of the Jedi it even seemed like the Emperor was looking down on Luke's "Jedi weapon".

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 PM   #169
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

During the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs Maul fight, there's a point during it where it seemed like Qui-Gon knew he was overmatched for Maul. The reaction on both Qui-Gon's and Maul's face just makes me think that. What do you guys think? It happens just before Maul's lightsaber stabs Qui-Gon.(around the 3:12 mark)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Maybe it's just me, but that's what I got out of it the first time I watched it.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:34 PM   #170
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
The bits with Dooku in AotC now looks a bit clunky for me, i really didn't like some of those battles and his confrontation with Yoda was just weird, i would expect both to be more creative with the force, not throw things for the other to catch. As a kid i think we kinda liked Anakin, i guess we could relate a bit with his whiny atitude, but after revisiting them various times as i grew up, i see plenty of waster potential, TCW cartoon is for me what makes that period bearable and not completely irredeemable.

When i try to looks at the two trilogies together, they just can't fit properly, they almost look like two sides of a completely different coin, Lucas shouldn't have overused the CGI much, and the look of the film should have been closer to that of films like Oblivion or his early scripts, with these organic visuals.

I liked the idea for the Clones, but he also needed to put more of the normal people from the SW universe as part of the action, i liked an idea given in RLM where the SW universe had been at war for so long and that normal people had to enlist in the army, explaining why they were already accostumed to that brutality.

Making the Jedi just "chosen people" and giving lightsabers to every single Jedi was not a very bright idea either, i think it went against the Emperor and Yoda characters, hell, the usual force user should be the ones using lightsabers or other weapons, but the advanced masters, the ones who know the deep workings of the force, shouldn't need them at all, they should be able to crush one of those with a thought, or even stop an heart from beating with their will, in Return of the Jedi it even seemed like the Emperor was looking down on Luke's "Jedi weapon".
You're so right.

Yoda and the Emperor Palpatine are above weapons and leaping about. Yoda is a guru, a man of peace. The Emperor is an all powerful witch or warlock who laughs at lightsabers.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:36 PM   #171
Uncle Radiation
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Terrible movie, but that fight scene is, fifteen years later, still incredible.

Uncle Radiation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #172
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
During the Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs Maul fight, there's a point during it where it seemed like Qui-Gon knew he was overmatched for Maul. The reaction on both Qui-Gon's and Maul's face just makes me think that. What do you guys think? It happens just before Maul's lightsaber stabs Qui-Gon.(around the 3:12 mark)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Maybe it's just me, but that's what I got out of it the first time I watched it.
I always saw that bit you speak of as Qui-Gon totally focused and alert, with Maul knowing that he had much better odds with Obi-Wan away from the fight, and that he had to take advantage of that before the shield came down.

What a duel though. The part where Kenobi just comes at Maul is intense

Old 06-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #173
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

It certainly was. I think after watching that movie up until that part and getting to know Qui-Gon as a character, that final fight made you want to root for Obi-Wan even more.

Still one of the best lightsaber battles out of all the movies IMO.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM   #174
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoix View Post
It may be because of nostalgia and/or for growing up with these movies, but I honestly enjoy the prequels more than the original films. Say what you will, but I find the story to be stronger, and while it could have been executed better, much more interesting than what is presented in the original trilogy. I do have problems with the prequels, but I still love them.

I grew up with the originals, before the Special Edition too. Wasnt a fanatic like most SW fans, but watched them religiously and bought every new VHS release. Knew and know these movies by memory and always loved them, Vader is such a terrific character with such a great, great design.

BUT, for all the hate the prequels get, I find it a great tragic story with epic scale and epic duels for entire family to enjoy, and yes, I do like em more too

Old 08-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #175
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I am so going to get flamed for this, but I think Jango Fett was a better character then Boba Fett ever was.