The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Old 03-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #401
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Default Re: Star Wars VII Story Ideas

That's because it's the best way to up the stakes in the series:

I-III: Two forms of government at war over the fate of the galaxy.

IV-VI: A small force vs a tyrannical galactic dictatorship.

VII-IX: An invasion from a cold emotionless galaxy to one permeated by love.

That's why, on paper, the Yuuzhan Vong are the best step up in terms of the literal "war amongst the stars" of Star Wars. It's a threat that is absolute, the Separatists wanted money, the Empire wanted control, but the Yuuzhan Vong want death.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #402
BenKenobi
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
That's why, on paper, the Yuuzhan Vong are the best step up in terms of the literal "war amongst the stars" of Star Wars. It's a threat that is absolute, the Separatists wanted money, the Empire wanted control, but the Yuuzhan Vong want death.
But what does that have to do with anything? Where is the personal story. As much as I don't like the prequels its basic story fits the bill.

Episodes I-III The Empire Rises, The Jedi Fall, and Obi-Wan loses his student and friend to the Dark Side.
Episodes IV-VI The Empire Falls, The Sith Fall, and Luke saves his father from the dark side.

Then what?

Episodes VII-IX Yuuzhan Vong?

That just sounds like a crappy Michael Bay answer. It doesn't have to be epic but it has to have some sort of personal conflict.

All of the press releases about the sequels talked about "handing star wars to the next generation" most likely this is somewhat literal, having Luke hand off the role away from the Skywalkers. Also given the stories of the original sequel trilogy in which Luke only was able to redeem his father at the end of Jedi, not complete the whole deal we can assume the plot will be something like this:

A new dark lord is rising to power, most likely someone trained by Luke, who threatens to tilt the level ground of the force towards the Dark Side. A new unlikely hero finds Luke and convinces him to teach him in the ways of the force in order to solve some other conflict. Luke eventually dies and the new hero is now the last of the Jedi, he must rebuild the order, while his buddies help Han and the gang reestablish the Republic.

Given all of the Regional governors in control of the various parts of the Galaxy, the Crime Lords, and the Rebellions relatively small numbers, and Luke being the ONLY force user left it wouldn't be a stretch to say they weren't able too do much in 30 years. In fact it would be a lot harder to believe they had fixed everything since Jedi, despite what the EU says.

EDIT: Also when did the Separatists ever say they wanted money? They tried to build a Death Star and capture Courescant, most likely they wanted some power too.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #403
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKenobi View Post
But what does that have to do with anything? Where is the personal story. As much as I don't like the prequels its basic story fits the bill.

Episodes I-III The Empire Rises, The Jedi Fall, and Obi-Wan loses his student and friend to the Dark Side.
Episodes IV-VI The Empire Falls, The Sith Fall, and Luke saves his father from the dark side.

Then what?

Episodes VII-IX Yuuzhan Vong?

That just sounds like a crappy Michael Bay answer. It doesn't have to be epic but it has to have some sort of personal conflict.
Both Anakin's and Luke's personal journey's were established by the respective wars, but not entrenched in them.

In Revenge of the Sith, Anakin spends most of his time on Coruscant, far away from the battles of the war, being manipulated by Sidious. Whilst Yoda and Obi-Wan were on worlds in battle. He becomes involved in battle when the Clone Wars are essentially ended.

In The Empire Strikes Back, Luke spends most of his time in Dagobah, far removed from the war and in Return of the Jedi, Luke hands himself forward to the Empire, and becomes removed from the actual battles that are squarely Rebels vs Empire. He is alone against his father and the Emperor.

How about:

VII-IX The Galaxy falls, the force falls, Skywalkers save the force and galaxy from extermination?

Quote:
All of the press releases about the sequels talked about "handing star wars to the next generation" most likely this is somewhat literal, having Luke hand off the role away from the Skywalkers. Also given the stories of the original sequel trilogy in which Luke only was able to redeem his father at the end of Jedi, not complete the whole deal we can assume the plot will be something like this:
The Yuuzhan Vong War focuses heavily on the next generation of the Skywalker family and Jedi Order.

Quote:
A new dark lord is rising to power, most likely someone trained by Luke, who threatens to tilt the level ground of the force towards the Dark Side. A new unlikely hero finds Luke and convinces him to teach him in the ways of the force in order to solve some other conflict. Luke eventually dies and the new hero is now the last of the Jedi, he must rebuild the order, while his buddies help Han and the gang reestablish the Republic.
So we'd have the same story as before? Obi-Wan Kenobi Luke Skywalker, trains Anakin Skywalker a NEW youngster to become a Jedi Knight. However, once he has become a Jedi Knight Anakin this NEW youngster falls to the dark side, in his fall he destroys the Jedi Order and overthrows the Republic.

Obi-Wan Luke must then train Luke Skywalker another totally new character to become a Jedi and defeat Anakin/Darth Vader this Sith, who was Obi-Wan Luke's first apprentice. Obi-Wan Luke dies and Obi-Wan Luke's new apprentice must topple this Sith with the assistance of Han Solo and restore the Republic.

Quote:
Given all of the Regional governors in control of the various parts of the Galaxy, the Crime Lords, and the Rebellions relatively small numbers, and Luke being the ONLY force user left it wouldn't be a stretch to say they weren't able too do much in 30 years. In fact it would be a lot harder to believe they had fixed everything since Jedi, despite what the EU says
Well I think that's stupid and undermines the ending of Jedi. The whole point is that Jedi is when they win.

Quote:
EDIT: Also when did the Separatists ever say they wanted money? They tried to build a Death Star and capture Courescant, most likely they wanted some power too.
Every villainous government wants power. The Separatists wished to secede from the Republic for reasons that would profit them. What would profit them more than forcing the whole galaxy under their control?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #404
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

They need to show how lightsabers are created for one thing.

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #405
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

The Vong were fantastic villains. They even threatened the galaxy's perception of the Force. and yes, they did provide for personal drama, too. Lots of it, even.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #406
Octoberist
point blank

My predictions:

-The trilogy will feature only one (maybe two) of the Skywalker offsprings, not four. They may be original characters or amalgamations of the pre-existing EU Skywalker characters.

-I think the New Republic will reflect our modern world in some ways. Where one government can't handle it all, and some will suffer. And the some who suffer will fight back somehow.

- The Empire will probably be present but won't be the main baddies. In fact, I can see the post-Jedi Empire being almost sympathetic, or maybe the new leaders trying to play it straight. I also think the New Repulic defectors will join the new Empire as an alt...

-I think the Force will be reflected like modern religion. You'll get really dedicated Jedi, and you'll get agnostics or some who will use the Force in opportunistic ways.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #407
Bim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
The Vong were fantastic villains. They even threatened the galaxy's perception of the Force. and yes, they did provide for personal drama, too. Lots of it, even.
While i'm not a fan of everything that happened during that time in EU, i do think the Vong were great villains.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #408
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

4 Skywalker offspring is overkill. 2 is fine, I'd think.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #409
BenKenobi
Banned User

I don't see there being skywalker offspring. Lucas has said Luke never gets married and he did write the outlines. Given that Abrams and the Arnt are big fans I can't see them straying too far away from them. Also I don't see much of the EU (big characters, events, etc) showing up. Most likely it's gonna be something completely new.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #410
titansupes
Side-Kick

^If there are Skywalker children, they come from Han and Leia. I assume.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:40 AM   #411
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agreed. Luke should be childless.

KillerCarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #412
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

And penisless. He should have a phantom penis.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #413
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Ben and Jaina, done

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCarlson View Post
Agreed. Luke should be childless.
One of the central themes of Star Wars has been about the relationships between Fathers/Father-figures and Sons, why wouldn't you want that to come to full circle with Luke?

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:23 PM   #414
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
Well, it would have been if it had bombed like the studio was expecting. In various interviews Lucas states that he promised himself he would make the other episodes after he had to make the first act of his story into one movie.

Of course, you have to take a lot of what Lucas says regarding his plan for the saga with a grain of salt as he did change a lot of it as he went along. But for me it's impossible to think of ANH as a standalone film, as the entire trilogy existed before I was even born.
Lucas certainly did not have everything planned out from the beginning and was improvised as they went along e.g. Luke's true parentage. I recommend reading "A Secret History of Star Wars" which goes in depth about all of this.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #415
Joker's Lackey
Side-Kick

I can see this as a scenario

Luke has been trying to establish a new Jedi Order the past 30 years like Yoda told him to do. Luke has one student that he loves like a son, it could even be his first student. Because of his inexperience as a teacher he fails this student who goes deep into the dark side, maybe even helped along in his seduction is the Force ghost of the fallen Emperor, mirroring Kenobi/Palaptine and Annakin in PT. Luke must then turn to Han and Leia's (against their wishes) youngest daughter who is very strong in the force and train her. Nobody kills Luke, he goes out like Kenobi becoming a force ghost.

Something like that is what I imagine the ST will look like.

I would want Han and Leia with two kids a Son and daughter, not twins.
Luke should be childless and he should be a Kenobi/father type mentor in this new Trilogy.

Joker's Lackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #416
Octoberist
point blank

Yoda never told Luke to establish a new Jedi order did he?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #417
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
Yoda never told Luke to establish a new Jedi order did he?
He told him to pass on what he had learned. Luke in learning about the Jedi would have known about the Jedi Order...so it's logical to assume he would want to re-establish the Order.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #418
Lord
All Mighty

What if the Jedi now follow the rule of two now?

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #419
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

That would actually be interesting, provided they have a good reason for following that path.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #420
Paradox1
Side-Kick

If it were me writing this story there would be no ties to the previous films or the EU so No Solos, and No Skywalkers, I don't think you should go half ass in the EU it would be disrespectful to the fans and writers if you picked and choosed certain characters and events without more or less adapting the EU.

The threat to the galaxy I would use is the reemergence of the Mandalorians on a galactic scale. It would be awesome to see a army of Bad ass mandy's all armored up invading a planet like Coruscant led by one of their own who is also sith. I think from a historical perspective I would draw inspiration from Germany pre World War II. I 'm sure everyone knows Germany took a huge hit during WOrld War I which created the stage for Hitler and Nazi party to rise. I would take a similar approach because the Mandy's have been a power in the galaxy before since fallen on hard times.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #421
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I like the idea of the Mandalorian resurgence, Paradox1. It would seem like a natural evolution from stormtroopers to Mandalorians. The army could be partly made up of a lot of leftover Imperials who would quickly join and follow a new Sith.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #422
Octoberist
point blank

Interesting...

Personally, I feel like the leftover Imperials shouldn't be joining anyone unless they have to. They should be like post-Soviet Russia.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #423
Paradox1
Side-Kick

They are essentially Mandy's are they not? If the Mandy's returned to their warrior ways they may welcome home the clones how are like samuari's without a master leaving them without a purpose in life.

"Wars are never won, regardless of who might be the victor. The very act of war is itself a horrible defeat." Guardian of the Universe "Battleground: Oa!" Green Lantern, 1st Silver Age series, #127, Denny O'Neil)
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #424
Sabaoth
Master

Here's how I think it will go down:
Luke, Han, Leia find out Palpy is still alive. Luke tries to stop him but is not strong enough. Palpy is gaining power fast. The Solo children (which have nothing to do with the EU creations) will go against their parents will and embark on a quest to uncover an ancient Jedi or Sith artifact that can bring the dead to life, as only Anakin Skywalker can defeat Palpatine.
The Solo kids will uncover a Sith planet which contains the artifact (a crystal maybe?) and they are able to resurrect Anakin who for some reason or another (perhaps his new body is not as strong as hoped ) is forced to wear an ancient Sith armor that is pretty spot on identical to the Vader we know and love.
This Vader who now fights for the Light side of the Force is able to ultimately conquer and kill Palpatine by Episode IX. In the meantime, the Solo daughter becomes the new Luke character, etc.
As a subplot, Boba Fett and other familiar bounty hunters (including IG-88 and Bossk) have been hunting Han & Chewie for decades and finally catch up with them.
There could be a time travel subplot involving Obi Wan (it is possible because Ewan is around..)

Old 07-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #425
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I know this is supposed to be a fun speculation thread, but there's no point reusing the exact same main villains (and the exact same characters) from the OT/PT. And they won't. Not Vader, not Sidious, not Anakin (perhaps his ghost), not Obi (perhaps his ghost). No offense, it's the definition of a rehash and a terrible idea, imo.