The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

View Poll Results: What did you think of An Innocent Man?
Loved it 14 53.85%
Hated it 0 0%
Was ok 12 46.15%
Not seen it not planning on it 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 AM   #26
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Default Re: An Innocent Man - Rate and Review thread

Overall, bar the ending (Diggs taking up the job offer, Walter's discovery in the warehouse, and of course Ollie's arrest), this episode was somewhat boring plot-wise; mainly because the main plot wasn't all that interesting and the way they ramped up the stacks in the third act was one they did very recently (kill the pesky, interfering lawyer to tie up loose ends). Though, I'd take this more as a credit to the earlier few episodes of setting the bar high rather than a complaint of this episode.

Also, this was the first episode where there wasn't a complex/choreographed fight scene; though I suppose this episode didn't really have a need for one. Hope this isn't a sign that standards are slipping though. Looking forward to the Ollie/Diggs training scene that they've released pictures for to make up for it.

Man... I'm really ripping it into this week's episode. But honestly, I thought it was sufficiently solid an episode.

Now, regarding some of the criticisms that have been made:

On the subject of the voice:
Yes, it sounds a little silly. However, I liked that they threw it in. Maybe my ears are wrong but wasn't it only used when he was talking with Laurel? That's actually pretty good attention to detail on the creators' part. Laurel knows Ollie well enough to recognise his voice. So, of course he'd need to take extra effort to disguise it when talking to her (along with keeping his face in the shadows). With others, they don't know Ollie personally. So, of course he wouldn't expect them to recognise his voice.

Regarding Thea being boring:
I have to disagree. At the moment, she's probably one of the more complex characters on the show (second only to Moira and maybe Ollie, and even that's debatable). I think it's pretty clear that she's inherently a good person who's clearly not coped well with her earlier losses in life and has instead fallen with a bad crowd (much like her brother did before despite not having such excuses). Her interactions with her family, while classic bratty teenager, is nonetheless interesting and carries good story potential. I think the complaints being levelled at Thea is mainly due to her having zero relevance to action/central plot.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #27
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Green Arrow giving Laurel the case and calling it leverage reminded me of the Batman Begins scene in which he gives Rachel the file after saving her from Falcone's thugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Well sure but who else is Dinah gonna talk about boys with.
They fail the Bechdel test

I think Walter is going to get killed or go missing.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:27 AM   #28
DarKush
Side-Kick

This week's episode wasn't that good. It was boring and the evil elite of the week was pretty one-note. What saved this episode was like the last ten minutes. If not for that, this one would've been a stinker.

Even though it was good seeing Arrow and Dinah interact and it seems like he is altering his voice around her, which I think makes sense. I also liked Walter digging into Moira's shady dealings. I don't think it's going to end well for him. Plus with Colin Salmon just 'guest starring' I don't think he survives the season. John Barrowman's arrival was much needed. Hopefully he will be a multi-show villain.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMadness View Post
Diggle will pose as Arrow and free Ollie. Seems obvious to me, I'm interested to see how the lingering suspicion will affect the family.
I think that's likely what's going to happen, though I hope that isn't the case as it seems too obvious. Rather, I hope Walter somehow swoops in to save the day. Perhaps having Felicity Smoak do something with the footage so that it appears the image had been doctored since something needs to happen to discredit that piece of evidence in order for all suspicions that Ollie is the vigilante to go away.

As for the fallout of it, once he's cleared, I reckon Moira will be want, and consequently convince herself, to believe that Ollie isn't Arrow. She'll then ask Barrowman's character to back-off (I suspect he will be the one who sends the assassin after him) and he will agree for the time being; though still suspicious and determined to keep an eye on Ollie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
They fail the Bechdel test
Not quite. They do talk about work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
I think Walter is going to get killed or go missing.
I think that's highly, highly likely. The guy's practically a walking expiration date.

mr. peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #30
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

What ever Barrowman is up to you it will end with Ollie shaking his fist yelling

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #31
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

It was an okay episode, not necessarily my favorite though. I kind of wish there had been more of Diggs, but I understand why there wasn't - he was still debating/deciding. I did like how Ollie handled the new bodyguard though.

Main thing that annoyed me seems to have been a result of our provider or whatever. When the episode started, the entire beginning sequence (his explanation of what happened, the recap of the previous episode(s), etc...) as well as the first few bits of Diggs confronting him after coming to from being shot, there was no dialogue. Just the stupid background music. I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem, hence why I'm thinking it was something about our provider. It was annoying. Shall have to find it online and rewatch just for those first bits.

I liked Walter's little arc in this episode. Though I have a sinking feeling that he might end up the way of Moira's previous husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. peasant View Post
On the subject of the voice:
Yes, it sounds a little silly. However, I liked that they threw it in. Maybe my ears are wrong but wasn't it only used when he was talking with Laurel? That's actually pretty good attention to detail on the creators' part. Laurel knows Ollie well enough to recognise his voice. So, of course he'd need to take extra effort to disguise it when talking to her (along with keeping his face in the shadows). With others, they don't know Ollie personally. So, of course he wouldn't expect them to recognise his voice.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he only used it with Laurel and it made sense to me the moment he did it. She would most certainly know his voice and so he needed to come up with something to disguise it more.

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #32
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I thought it was a pretty good episode. I like that he is disguising his voice now.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #33
Mikelus
Islander

Pretty good episode and Ollie's new voice was cool, unlike the awful one of Bale's Batman.

Mikelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM   #34
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
I thought it was a pretty good episode. I like that he is disguising his voice now.
Lol, only when he wants too. Did you notice him not using it after confronting bad guys. I guess he only feels he needs to disguise it when he talks to people that know him as Oliver such as Laurel

Old 11-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #35
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I also couldn't help but notice the BB parallel's of the hero enlisting the help of the uber courageous/honest lawyer going after the big bad corrupt man.

The best parts of this episode are Diggle and the flashbacks. It will be nice when this show can really get it's own identity and quit the BB motif. Cause it still reeks of it.

Alas, the action was great as usual and Diggle was funny when talking to his replacement at the restaurant.

My guess is that between diggle assisting(being his conscious) and laurel hating that he kills people he may edge towards the not taking life route.

*I was genuinely surprised that Walter wasn't in on the whole shipwreck conspiracy. I'm actually interested in seeing what he does about it. I also thought Moira was going to be shown security pics of Walter and not of Green Arrow when she got in the limo toward the end.

Predictably, we all know he gets out of his predicament from the ending.. I'm going to guess Diggle probably dresses up as him and then they let him go after some excuse for oliver going into the garbage can.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #36
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Ok,offically now,every episode has to open with someone berating Ollie for cheating with Dinah's sister.

Can't they just show that on one of those "previously on Arrow" things?It's starting to feel pretty forced.

Was surprised to see Dig take a swing at Ollie.I thought he would've been hip to the idea right off the bat.But overall,I like the way it was handled.

Probably the weakest ep yet,but I guess we have to expect a Supervillain-less story every now and then.

Seems kinda early to have Ollie suspected,but like most everybody else,I'm expecting Dig to don the costume to save the day.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #37
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Oh,and I wasn't crazy about the disguised voice,but it only makes sense he'd do that around people who might recognize him by his voice.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

I'm still hoping having 'someone to talk to' from the Green Arrow POV will eliminate the voice over. He can say everything he VO's to diggle and fill him in that way. two birds. One stone

Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #39
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
Oh,and I wasn't crazy about the disguised voice,but it only makes sense he'd do that around people who might recognize him by his voice.
What happens when/if the jilted lover tommy merlyn turns bad.. what does he do then, he is a bad guy, but he knows oliver.. to disguise or to not disguise lol. He should just go all the way with it when he is in his Green Arrow get-up.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 PM   #40
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Good point.lol
If I had to choose,I'd say ditch the disguised voice,but that's just me.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #41
Spider‐Man
Banned User

Obviously he has to disguise his voice but its just so obviously done by effects. It's like they taped him saying his lines and then electronically altered it. Bale is annoying but at least he does it for real and it is believable.

Spider‐Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #42
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

So, who the hell is John Barrowman supposed to be?

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #43
joke
Side-Kick

Ollie swinging away from Dinah from that rooftop was fantastic. That is all.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 AM   #44
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by joke View Post
Ollie swinging away from Dinah from that rooftop was fantastic. That is all.

The Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 AM   #45
Fans of Reilly
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
So, who the hell is John Barrowman supposed to be?
Personally, I hope Max Lord

Fans of Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #46
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

So Ollie has been possibly found out?

And Colin Salmon has discovered that his wife might be responsible for the shipwreck?

It's funny watching Salmon on this show, when only a few days later each week he's competing live in Strictly Come Dancing. He was nearly eliminated last week. But have they filmed all the episodes for this season or are they still filming? If they are still filming, does that mean that Colin Salmon won't be playing much (he is only billed as a guest star)? Otherwise how will he find time to work on Arrow when he's over here all week in the UK practising with his dance partner at the moment? Maybe he's been written out?

I don't think Thea is boring. I think she's underused and needs more involvement in the central plot. She is extremely hot, and certainly the hottest girl on the show.

At the moment I can't imagine Laurel becoming Black Canary. She doesn't really seem like her, but more like Lois Lane.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #47
Hunter Rider
Ronin

Some of the dialogue exchanges were incredibly clumsy this week, the Arrow and Laurel scenes didn't really come off well at all IMO. I also thought the way Ollie just walked out with the ski mask on and all the guards around looked silly.

The theme of how Ollie has to rein himself in from the kill or be killed survival mode he was in on the island made sense, I like how he is adjusting to his role, but it was a bit heavy handed in it's execution.

On the plus side the scenes with Ollie and Thea and Ollie and Diggs were good, and I like things moving forward with Walter investigating the financial discrepancy.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #48
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
Obviously he has to disguise his voice but its just so obviously done by effects. It's like they taped him saying his lines and then electronically altered it. Bale is annoying but at least he does it for real and it is believable.
But it's supposed to be artificially-altered within the context of the show, so I don't see what's wrong with it intentionally sounding that way. I personally like this approach to the voice.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #49
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
Well, he also hit that device that was flashing red at first too, so it makes sense that it's not just a bale-like alteration of his voice but more mechanically altered, like when you see people put a device on a phone to disguise a person's voice.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #50
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
Some of the dialogue exchanges were incredibly clumsy this week
I find most the dialogue has been unless its Diggle and Oliver interacting and sometimes Oliver and Thea.