The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars Expanded Universe

Old 07-17-2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Apollo
Mara Jade Skywalker

Cool THRAWN by Timothy Zahn

Thrawn is an upcoming Star Wars Canon book written by Timothy Zahn and scheduled to be released April 2017!
The book is a prequel to Thrawn's appearance in season 3 of Star Wars Rebels.

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/...017_169929.asp

Old 07-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Sithborg
Form... Voltron?

Default Re: Thrawn by Timothy Zahn

My hope, is that having to work with the Story Group and with what Filoni is doing, that Zahn can resist making him heroic, and keep him as a villain.

Sithborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 PM   #3
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Well there's no Vong to provide him the same motivation for joining the Empire in the new canon, so he's less "heroic" from the start. Plus, the guy has to be shown to be utterly ruthless to get to his rank within Palpatine's circle.

That said, a big part of Thrawn's character is that his leadership style is very distinct from Vader or Tarkin, less prone to punish his underlings for failure and more readily to promote them for showing initiative. So it's got to be a balance, he's a villain but he has a lot more noble qualities than your typical Imperial Antagonist.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:44 AM   #4
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Maybe he'll be similar to Rae Sloane. An Imperial that wholeheartedly believes in the Empire and what it should and can be, what it stands for, and opposes anything that threatens it. Not a sadist or cruel person. Not really a villain. Just the other side of the coin. A man that believes stopping the Rebels is the right thing to do. Least thats what I hope. I dont want him to be an evil villain type like Vader, Sidious, and Tarkin.

Marvolo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:44 AM   #5
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Maybe he'll be similar to Rae Sloane. An Imperial that wholeheartedly believes in the Empire and what it should and can be, what it stands for, and opposes anything that threatens it. Not a sadist or cruel person. Not really a villain. Just the other side of the coin. A man that believes stopping the Rebels is the right thing to do. Least thats what I hope. I dont want him to be an evil villain type like Vader, Sidious, and Tarkin.
Reminds me of his old quote:

"I encounter civilians like you all the time. You believe the Empire is continually plotting to do harm. Let me tell you, your view of the Empire is far too dramatic. The Empire is a government. It keeps billions of beings fed and clothed. Day after day, year after year, on thousands of worlds, people live their lives under Imperial rule without seeing a stormtrooper or hearing a TIE fighter scream overhead."