The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars Sequels

Old 05-03-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
HarryOsborn
Banned User

Default Do you think "Uber" will be dealt with in one trilogy?

It's been rumored that Andy Serkis' character in the Force Awakens is code named "Uber" in the drafts and that he will serve as the Palpatine so-to-speak of this trilogy. Now the question is will he be dealt with and defeated come the close of episode IX?

Before you say "the story won't be complete if he's not.", the Emperor originally was not to be defeated until Episode IX in a show down with Luke and his sister (who was no originally Leia). The decision to kill him off at the end of Jedi came relatively late into the production, after Gary Kurtz left the project, and Lucas decided Star Wars had taken too big a toll on his personal life- making him want to be done with it all together. Jedi was supposed to end with Luke and Vader having some sort of a personal resolution (as this was the meat of the story and still is, not the defeat of the Empire), Han was to die, Leia was to be left with a great burden as the Queen of the reformed Alderaan, and Luke was to walk off into the sunset to search for others to rebuild the order.

Given that Disney clearly doesn't have Lucas's "let me be done already" mentality, is it possible we could see an ending like this, and that the greater evil behind Kylo Ren will not be a huge presence until perhaps Episode X?

Last edited by HarryOsborn; 05-04-2015 at 11:16 AM.
HarryOsborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
DarthSkywalker
May the Force Be With You

Default Re: Do you think "Uber" will be dealt with in one trilogy?

Yes, he will be dealt with in one trilogy. Mainly because of what he means to Luke, Rey and Kylo. The only way he survives is if Rey is the main character of the next trilogy as well.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:50 PM   #3
Soapy
It's all good man!

Care to fill me in on the connection between Uber and Luke, Rey, and Kylo?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
HarryOsborn
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
Yes, he will be dealt with in one trilogy. Mainly because of what he means to Luke, Rey and Kylo. The only way he survives is if Rey is the main character of the next trilogy as well.
Luke wasn't to be the main character the original sequel trilogy, and the Emperor was not going to be dealt with by the end of episode VI. Even though the Emperor was the big bad behind the scenes, the emotional ties were between Luke, Obi-Wan, and Vader. From what it appears Kylo is serving a similar role to Vader, and according to rumors he has the emotional ties to Rey and the Skywalkers. Almost nothing is known about Uber so unless you have information I do not, it's difficult to say he has a vital connection to Luke or Rey at this point.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #5
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Care to fill me in on the connection between Uber and Luke, Rey, and Kylo?
Nothing confirmed yet. But if you want to talk some potential spoilers:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
- Rey and Kylo are Luke's niece and nephew.

- They are students at Luke's academy.

- Uber attacks Luke's new Jedi academy and steals Kylo.

- Rey is "lost". Ends up growing up alone.

- At the end of the film, Rey becomes Luke's new apprentice.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryOsborn View Post
Luke wasn't to be the main character the original sequel trilogy, and the Emperor was not going to be dealt with by the end of episode VI. Even though the Emperor was the big bad behind the scenes, the emotional ties were between Luke, Obi-Wan, and Vader. From what it appears Kylo is serving a similar role to Vader, and according to rumors he has the emotional ties to Rey and the Skywalkers. Almost nothing is known about Uber so unless you have information I do not, it's difficult to say he has a vital connection to Luke or Rey at this point.
And yet he was. I explained my reasoning. My is a bit more solid then yours I'd say.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
Soapy
It's all good man!

Quote:
Nothing confirmed yet. But if you want to talk some potential spoilers:

- Rey and Kylo are Luke's niece and nephew.

- They are students at Luke's academy.

- Uber attacks Luke's new Jedi academy and steals Kylo.

- Rey is "lost". Ends up growing up alone.

- At the end of the film, Rey becomes Luke's new apprentice.
Ah. I had heard about all of that except I didn't know who attacks the academy.

Thanks.

Do you know if there any spoilers or theories regarding Uber's identity?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
DarthSkywalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
Ah. I had heard about all of that except I didn't know who attacks the academy.

Thanks.

Do you know if there any spoilers or theories regarding Uber's identity?
No one knows, but two popular theories is this:

- I resurrected acient Sith Lord.

- A former disciple of Vader's. Not the Emperor, but specifically Vader. He also leads a group known as the 7, who are powerful in the Force, and are responsible for the act on the academy.

Old 05-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
Soapy
It's all good man!

Hmm.

This is just idle speculation based on nothing and I don't even think its true, but a friend and I thought his voice sounds very similar to how an older Darth Maul might sound. Just sayin'.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 05-04-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
ares834
Side-Kick

If "Uber" is Darth Maul someone deserves to be executed.

Last edited by ares834; 05-04-2015 at 04:39 PM.
ares834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
DarthSkywalker

I am with ares834 on this one.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:29 AM   #12
Marvolo
Side-Kick

My guess is that "Uber" is Darth Bane resurrected. I'm pretty sure he or some other Sith Lord managed to resurrect in the old EU. So they may have brought that into the new canon.

H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 05-05-2015 at 03:32 AM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:41 PM   #13
Lord
All Mighty

What would be the problem with it being an old Maul? He survived the events in the Prequel era and considering the current canon, it would make sence from a story point of view, more so than some secret new dark lord we didn't know before now.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #14
ares834
Side-Kick

Don't see how it would make more sense. Maul was a relatively small and unimportant Sith Lord in the grand scheme of things. Meanwhile, if Uber is an ancient Sith Lord he'd presumably be one of great importance.

But my big problem with Maul is that the character should be dead. Bringing him back was a big mistake and making him the major antagonist of the new trilogy would only compound it.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
Lord
All Mighty

Maul was still a strong Sith and survived the events in that era, with more years of training, hatred fueling him and possibly doing some stuff with, or against the Empire could make him into a powerful villain, Sidious saw something in him when he was a kid, so did Mother Talzin, and it's not as if he hasn't proven himself in more than one ocasion.

And it would make sence int he context of the story because so far, all the other major Dark Lords we know are dead, and according to canon, Sith can't return as ghosts. Yes, it's possible that the antagonist will be a returned Sith Lord from ancient times, but in order to resurrect him, they will need to introduce a brand new element into the franchise. If we only go by all the things we've been given in the canon stories so far, Maul would make the most sence, as he's still a loose thread in the franchise and he would have had 50+ years to harness his power.

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #16
ares834
Side-Kick

I don't buy the "only go by all the things we've been given in the canon stories so far" logic as this is a new movie with a new story. Obviously, it's going to introduce many new things. I'd much rather they create a new villain rather than force an old one into the role.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #17
Lord
All Mighty

But introducing the possibility of resurrection is still something realy big to introduce this late in the game, like it or not, Maul was still a major player in the story.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-05-2015, 05:00 PM   #18
ares834
Side-Kick

Who said anything about resurrection? Regardless, powers over life and death have been central to SW from the very beginning.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #19
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Who said anything about resurrection? Regardless, powers over life and death have been central to SW from the very beginning.
I know it has, but in the end it's been shown that trying to control life and death never ends well, what Palpatine promised Anakin ended up not happening, and Plagueis's story was supposed to be ironic and tragic.

I don't think Maul will be the main villain, but as i said, from a story point of view, it would actualy make a lot of sence, it wouldn't be just saying "well, here's another secret Sith who's behind it all like Palpatine, but is even stronger..."

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
ares834
Side-Kick

Obviously if they handle it the way you are saying it would suck. But I'd assume they would have more to it then that.

And making it Maul frankly doesn't make a lot of sense. As far as you're average movie goer is concerned, he was killed off.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #21
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ares834 View Post
Obviously if they handle it the way you are saying it would suck. But I'd assume they would have more to it then that.

And making it Maul frankly doesn't make a lot of sense. As far as you're average movie goer is concerned, he was killed off.
That's why i was talking about it in the context of the canon story so far.

~*SHH SIX*~
Old 05-06-2015, 04:59 AM   #22
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I'd love it if Uber was either Bane or Plagueis.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #23
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Entertaining the Maul idea for a moment...

Was it GL's idea to bring him back in the Clone Wars? Because if so, I'll bet that decision was made with him having full knowledge that there was going to be a sequel trilogy.

If there's a way to do it without it feeling tacky, I could be into that idea. I kind of love the idea of the two "big bads" of the saga both being introduced in Episode I. A Sith apprentice become a Sith master would be something we've yet to witness in the saga.

BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:44 AM   #24
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I believe it was indeed on GL's order that Maul be brought back, and his daughter who was one of the shows writers, even scripted the episodes. I think over time he realized how popular the character had become and tried to have it salvaged in some form.

I'm of the mind that if he's going to be used in the films again then it'll be in one of the anthology titles rather than in an actual episode.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #25
HarryOsborn
Banned User

Quote:
And yet he was. I explained my reasoning. My is a bit more solid then yours I'd say.
...Um yeah he was dealt with because Lucas got divorced and lost most of his money and swore off star wars. He claimed to next films would have been the prequels in the late 80s, followed by the sequels in the late 90s-early 2000s. Gary Kurtz even gave an outline of what they'd planned out in 99 http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/s...s_19_80270.asp . I'm well aware of all the rumors, I'm probably just as well versed if not more so than you are. However my reasoning is based in historical precedence and at the end of the day yours is based in based on rumors and opinions of what needs to happen. Luke's relationship with Uber as an important plot thread is very much up for debate as all rumors indicate Kylo Ren is the one with all serious emotional ties and that Uber- like the Emperor is merely a force of nature.