The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > The Walking Dead

View Poll Results: What did you think of the episode?
10 - Outstanding 29 51.79%
9 - Excellent 21 37.50%
8 - Great 2 3.57%
7 - Good 3 5.36%
6 - Alright 0 0%
5 - Average 1 1.79%
4 - Bad 0 0%
3 - Terrible 0 0%
2 - Horrible 0 0%
1 - Appalling 0 0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #226
Poeman
Banned User

Default Re: The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4 Discussion - "Killer Within"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakzap425 View Post
I'm def in the minority about that final scene with Rick.

Clearly, I have no heart, because the company I was with and I laughed during the RIck break down.

It just seemed so over the top and the fall was just idek.

I'm waiting for the Rick fall to be the new "Rick Roll" meme, tbh. And when he was bending and looking at Carl and saying no, I'm waiting for the new "u mad bro" gif sets, honestly.

*horrible person. has no soul. etc.*
He Rick Roll'd, get it?

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #227
Kane52630
Nightcall User

Unhappy Re: The Walking Dead Season 3 Episode 4 Discussion - "Killer Within"

Quote:

Clearly, I have no heart, because the company I was with and I laughed during the RIck break down.

I'm waiting for the Rick fall to be the new "Rick Roll" meme, tbh. And when he was bending and looking at Carl and saying no, I'm waiting for the new "u mad bro" gif sets, honestly.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #228
Evelisse
Exactly

Yea I've put that out there before, I think there is still a chance for Merle, all depends if Rick can earn his respect, they could use the muscle now, man with knifehand and ability to survive would be another welcomed addition, would have to keep him on a short leash though, but the inner group conflicts keep things interesting.

Evelisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #229
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poeman View Post
He Rick Roll'd, get it?
...indeed

oakzap425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #230
Grommers
Side-Kick

I quite liked Rick's reaction, at first it threw me off, but it felt very raw. Which is an excellent performance, he seemed ecstatic about having the baby at first, than once realizing lori wasn't there...it just hit him like a brick wall. It's the first close person Rick has lost, that was family.

I just can't believe they didn't save this for a mid-season finale.

Grommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #231
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:

Meh. To each their own. It's fiction, so you can't really be "heartless" for your reaction. My friends were laughing and joking during Lori's death scene.

I personally found Rick's reaction to be very chilling and real, but I can see why you might look at it as over the top...there are few too few people who could have displayed so many emotions in such a short amount of time...hell, too few shows who would probably even allow that type of emotional reaction.

For me, the biggest moment in that scene is the point where he bends down in front of Carl, though I can see those being used in memes as well. It was like Rick was looking at Carl in hopes that his son would say "No, she's alive, don't worry", as well as a moment of anger - "why couldn't you protect your mother? I trusted you to be a man and you couldn't help her", before realizing that yes, Lori is dead, and he failed his family his poor son was forced to deal with Lori, and that Carl would never be the same.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #232
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Some cynical people. Find out your 11 year old child had to shoot his mother after watching his sibling cut from her only months after having to kill a man who was once your best friend in front of your kid all after waking up in a zombie apocalypse and see how you all react. To say ricks reaction was over the top is pretty ridiculous. Its all about context and Ricks reaction was understandable in the context of things and even out of context i expect it. Some people break things, some people shut down, and some collapse. Everyone grieves different in different situations. It doesnt mean they are weak or not a man. It means they are human beings.

Carl will never be the same. There isnt enough therapy and medication in the world to fix him. He will be a broken human being after this and rick knows that. As a parent this would feel like the worst kind of failure. On top of that he lost his wife with unspoken words between them. And he has a new child. Honestly its a wonder he didnt just pass out from it all.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-05-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #233
Poeman
Banned User

I thought it was funny when he tilted his head after bent down...Thats about it, hes hysterical crying because he didnt get to see her at all

Poeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #234
kang604
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Who? View Post

For me, the biggest moment in that scene is the point where he bends down in front of Carl, though I can see those being used in memes as well. It was like Rick was looking at Carl in hopes that his son would say "No, she's alive, don't worry", as well as a moment of anger - "why couldn't you protect your mother? I trusted you to be a man and you couldn't help her", before realizing that yes, Lori is dead, and he failed his family his poor son was forced to deal with Lori, and that Carl would never be the same.
For me, I got the impression that when Rick bent down and looked at Carl, he was thinking more along the lines of "OMG Carl had to experience/see his mother die" and that really hurt Rick, rather than blaming him.

kang604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:50 PM   #235
Kane52630
Nightcall User

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #236
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Some cynical people. Find out your 11 year old child had to shoot his mother after watching his sibling cut from her only months after having to kill a man who was once your best friend in front of your kid all after waking up in a zombie apocalypse and see how you all react. To say ricks reaction was over the top is pretty ridiculous. Its all about context and Ricks reaction was understandable in the context of things and even out of context i expect it. Some people break things, some people shut down, and some collapse. Everyone grieves different in different situations. It doesnt mean they are weak or not a man. It means they are human beings.

Carl will never be the same. There isnt enough therapy and medication in the world to fix him. He will be a broken human being after this and rick knows that. As a parent this would feel like the worst kind of failure. On top of that he lost his wife with unspoken words between them. And he has a new child. Honestly its a wonder he didnt just pass out from it all.
Totally agree. Rick has been through more than any one man should have to endure in a year's time. He wakes up from a coma to a post-apocalyptic world. He tries to hold onto his humanity in an environment that is seemingly set against him. He has seen his son shot, he has had to put down a little girl that he put great effort into finding, and he had to kill his childhood friend. Now he comes to find out that his wife, who had unresolved issues with, has died and he realizes his son had a hand in making sure she stayed dead. Oh and btw, he now has a newborn to care for in this world.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:51 PM   #237
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post

I;m at work, so I'm assuming this is a gif set of the break down? idk, it was hilarious to me.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #238
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OB12 View Post
Totally agree. Rick has been through more than any one man should have to endure in a year's time. He wakes up from a coma to a post-apocalyptic world. He tries to hold onto his humanity in an environment that is seemingly set against him. He has seen his son shot, he has had to put down a little girl that he put great effort into finding, and he had to kill his childhood friend. Now he comes to find out that his wife, who had unresolved issues with, has died and he realizes his son had a hand in making sure she stayed dead. Oh and btw, he now has a newborn to care for in this world.
It's a tv show. fiction doesn't move me the way real life does. I've cried at a movie once, and it was a pretty ridic scene to cry during.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #239
Kane52630
Nightcall User

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #240
Marvolo
Side-Kick

edit

H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-05-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #241
Marvolo
Side-Kick

That is fine but for anyone to say his ricks reaction was over the top is being foolish. Rick exists in this world. He is a living breathing part of it. His reactions to the events of that world should not be toned down because it is television. They should be as real as our own reactions would be in our real world.

For me, though, the setting is fiction true human emotions like we got in this episode are real no matter where you place them. Fiction or non fiction, anyone who has lost a loved one or has collapsed like he did can relate to what is being expressed on screen and to be moved by that is perfectly natural. Sure you get up lifted when a character succeeds? Or feel excitement at a thrilling moment? Why those emotions? Why are those emotions ok in fiction, but sorror isnt?

H.E.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #242
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
That is fine but for anyone to say his ricks reaction was over the top is being foolish. Rick exists in this world. He is a living breathing part of it. His reactions to the events of that world should not be toned down because it is television. They should be as real as our own reactions would be in our real world.

We'll have to agree to disagree. Either you're taking it too seriously or I'm not taking it seriously enough. Idk. But it was a bit over the top, which, for a dramatic show about the dead walking and eating flesh really isn't that big of a deal, but in essence was a bit funny to me.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #243
oakzap425
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post

For me, though, the setting is fiction true human emotions like we got in this episode are real no matter where you place them. Fiction or non fiction, anyone who has lost a loved one or has collapsed like he did can relate to what is being expressed on screen and to be moved by that is perfectly natural. Sure you get up lifted when a character succeeds? Or feel excitement at a thrilling moment? Why those emotions? Why are those emotions ok in fiction, but sorror isnt?
why are you having a discussion with yourself?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #244
OB12
Side-Kick

Hell, I'd have a pretty strong reaction if my wife died during childbirth in today's world. I'd be grief stricken and totally overwhelmed at the prospect of dealing with a newborn on my own. I don't have flesh-eating zombies trying kill me at every turn and I have the necessary food, medicine, equipment to deal with the situation.

OB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #245
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree. Either you're taking it too seriously or I'm not taking it seriously enough. Idk. But it was a bit over the top, which, for a dramatic show about the dead walking and eating flesh really isn't that big of a deal, but in essence was a bit funny to me.
Well, the show isn't about the dead walking. Like the creator has said this show is about the characters, and even the title is a reference to the group not the zombies. The group is the walking dead.

And as I said, whether the setting is fiction or non fiction true human emotions like we got in this episode are real no matter where you place them. Fiction or non fiction, anyone who has lost a loved one or has collapsed like he did can relate to what is being expressed on screen and to be moved by that is perfectly natural. You get up lifted when a character succeeds? Or feel excitement at a thrilling moment? Why those emotions? Why is feeling those emotions towards fiction natural, but sorrow isnt? You've never felt emotion like Rick just did?

Quote:
why are you having a discussion with yourself?
I'm not.

H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-05-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #246
Soapy
It's happening again...

Count me among those who thought Rick's reaction was over the top.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:07 PM   #247
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

In context, thought Rick's reaction was well done and seemed fitting given what the man had just lost. Think about it, in a matter of about 30 seconds, Rick just found out.

1. He just had a child.
2. His wife died during childbirth.
3. His 11 year old son watched his own mother get gutted and die.
4. His son had to put a bullet in own mother's head so she doesnt come back as a walker, which in effect robs him of any innocence he has left and all but guarantees he's going to have some MAJOR issues for the rest of his life.

Rewatch the scene, Rick REALLY loses it only when looking at Carl and the lifeless gaze on his face.

That's a lot for a husband/father to absorb all at once. Most of us would probably collapse to the ground and be inconsolable as well.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #248
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvolo View Post
some cynical people. Find out your 11 year old child had to shoot his mother after watching his sibling cut from her only months after having to kill a man who was once your best friend in front of your kid all after waking up in a zombie apocalypse and see how you all react. To say ricks reaction was over the top is pretty ridiculous. Its all about context and ricks reaction was understandable in the context of things and even out of context i expect it. Some people break things, some people shut down, and some collapse. Everyone grieves different in different situations. It doesnt mean they are weak or not a man. It means they are human beings.

Thank you! Rick's reaction was so natural and raw. The man just lost the love of his life during a zombie apocalypse, and he broke down right there. You could even see the disappointment he had in Carl and himself for not being able to save Lori. He was weak, and that reaction was genuine.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #249
Soapy
It's happening again...

I've never seen anyone react to anything like that. Except maybe Al Pacino in Godfather III.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM   #250
ThePowerCosmic
Air Lordin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I've never seen anyone react to anything like that. Except maybe Al Pacino in Godfather III.
Have you ever seen someone lose their wife(that they luckily reunited with earlier) during a zombie apocalypse where hope is lost and love gives you strength to go on?

I didn't think so.

Not even just that, but this is a man who just lost his beloved spouse. Anyone that really loved their wife or husband would break down in a moment like that(zombie apocalypse or not). It's a feeling of loneliness, and during this zombie apocalypse there's even more loneliness than normal. Just imagine what his reaction would have been if he had lost a child.