Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #26
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Default Re: 2012 NFL thread: Greater than Tom Brady's hair! - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalfire View Post
Someone give me ideas for a new subtitle.
Pull down your Cecil Shorts and show us your Asomugha!

Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #27
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

^ Where Jerry Jones recuse himself as GM

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #28
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Ha! Maybe in a fantasy football thread.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
The Cowher argument doesn't hold water, IMO. There are two things one must consider in regard to Cowher/Reid comparison....

1) Cowher never had a franchise quarterback until the final three years of his career. Yet his teams were consistently competitive, with 10 playoff appearances in 15 years, 6 of those times he led the Steelers to the AFC Championship. Two of those times he led them to the Super Bowl and of course he won the Super Bowl in 2005. And he did it largely without a franchise quarterback. Keep in mind, this was a time when the quarterback's role was becoming larger and larger and more and more important. Cowher did it without one. Andy Reid on the other hand had Donovan McNabb, one of the better quarterbacks of his generation and now Michael Vick and still can't get it done.

2) Cowher's teams have never under performed as much as this current Eagles squad. Cowher has had his off years, but those were heavily rebuilding years. He never allowed Super Bowl contenders to perform this badly. The current Eagles really are a dream team. With the talent level where it is at, there is no reason that they shouldn't be performing. They lose games due to mistakes, poor game planning and lack of discipline. All of which falls on the head coach. Andy Reid is squandering a Super Bowl squad. Bill Cowher never did that and THAT is why Andy Reid ought to be fired.
I think the Eagles need to go in a new direction as well, but that isn't due to Reid not being a good coach. He was planning a good game. The problem is the Eagles are just falling apart. They underacheived last season, and that hurt their psyche. It has carried over into this season. I think the Eagles need to start from scratch. In the current NFC climate, they will only fall apart more and more while the elite NFC teams will get better.

That said, anyone who says Reid isn't a great coach is dead wrong. He is struggling this season, yes. But he is still a great coach. Like I said earlier, whenever he is fired, I am one person who would be hoping my Brownies toss Pat Shurmur and his laminated sheet to the door and hire Reid. Seems like the Browns are becoming the Eagles from yester year anyway, given our GM is Tom Heckert and they just hired Joe Banner to run the football operations here.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #30
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I think the Eagles need to go in a new direction as well, but that isn't due to Reid not being a good coach. He was planning a good game. The problem is the Eagles are just falling apart. They underacheived last season, and that hurt their psyche. It has carried over into this season. I think the Eagles need to start from scratch. In the current NFC climate, they will only fall apart more and more while the elite NFC teams will get better.

That said, anyone who says Reid isn't a great coach is dead wrong. He is struggling this season, yes. But he is still a great coach. Like I said earlier, whenever he is fired, I am one person who would be hoping my Brownies toss Pat Shurmur and his laminated sheet to the door and hire Reid. Seems like the Browns are becoming the Eagles from yester year anyway, given our GM is Tom Heckert and they just hired Joe Banner to run the football operations here.
I think that Reid CAN be a great coach under the right circumstances. I do not think that he should be his own GM however, under any circumstances.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I think that Reid CAN be a great coach under the right circumstances. I do not think that he should be his own GM however, under any circumstances.
Few should be. But at this moment, I am really hoping the Browns keep Tom Heckert (he has got talent here), fire our moron/gutless head coach, and hire Reid once the Eagles fire him. I highly doubt Payton goes anywhere but New Orleans, so everyone banking on him will be disappointed. Teams like the Browns need a REAL head coach, so I am hoping beyond hope the new owner here makes it happen.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #32
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Few should be. But at this moment, I am really hoping the Browns keep Tom Heckert (he has got talent here), fire our moron/gutless head coach, and hire Reid once the Eagles fire him. I highly doubt Payton goes anywhere but New Orleans, so everyone banking on him will be disappointed. Teams like the Browns need a REAL head coach, so I am hoping beyond hope the new owner here makes it happen.
To be honest, I think that one of the Gruden brothers in Cleveland would be a much better fit than Reid. Reid isn't fit for the AFC North, IMO.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
To be honest, I think that one of the Gruden brothers in Cleveland would be a much better fit than Reid. Reid isn't fit for the AFC North, IMO.
Gruden is too cozy at ESPN. Otherwise, he would have been my first choice. The AFC North is becoming more offense oriented. The Steelers defense is showing life now, but they're slowing fading. The Ravens key defensive players are becoming slower. In 3 years time, this will be an offensive division, so I think Reid can easily fit in here.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #34
Immortalfire
The Dreamy Mod
SHH! Global Moderator

Tennessee Vol people are convinced Jon Gruden is going there when Derek Dooley gets canned.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #35
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Quote:
As someone who's watched probably 90% of every Eagles game Reid has coached, no, he really isn't that good at all.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #36
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

On that note, how many high-profile coaches are free agents next season?

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 11-06-2012, 11:24 AM   #37
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Cowher, Gruden, Billick, Payton and Holmgren are the ones with rings who come to mind. Reid is also out there but he has never won a Super Bowl.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #38
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Payton is going back to the Saints. I see no circumstance in which he doesn't.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #39
Matt
We Are Hunter Rider!
SHH! Global Moderator

Agreed. Payton isn't going to go to Dallas and put up with Jerry Jones' **** when he has a few more years with an all time great QB and an owner who accommodates anything that he wants.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #40
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortalfire View Post
Someone give me ideas for a new subtitle.
John Gruden Calls This 2012 NFL Thread John Wayne

The 2012 NFL Thread: Where Eagles Go to Die

The 2012 NFL Thread: Where Tebow is Still Irrelevant

Big Brother Goodell is Watching the 2012 NFL Thread

The 2012 NFL Power Wankings

The 2012 NFL Thread: Where Peyton Manning Leads the Greatest Comeback of All-Time Since His Last Greatest Comeback of All-Time But Not Greater Than His Next Greatest Comeback of All-Time

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #41
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

^ Where the Kansas City Chiefs are the NFL version of the Royals

Old 11-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #42
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Cowher, Gruden, Billick, Payton and Holmgren are the ones with rings who come to mind. Reid is also out there but he has never won a Super Bowl.
Hmmmm.

I wonder if our new GM will hire another young coach or a veteran coach like Cowher.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Old 11-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #43
Burgundy LaRue
Side-Kick

I don't think Cowher ever goes back to coaching. I think he intended to sit out for a couple of years, then test the market. But when his wife became sick and eventually passed, it seems that he wants to be as accessible to his family as possible, which can be hard to do with the demands being a NFL coach. It's been 5 or 6 years now and he's still in the CBS studio. I think he stays there unless some team gives him an insane contract.

I'm not sure Jon Gruden ever goes back, either. ESPN is paying him well and he can use his position to piggyback into other opportunities. Become a John Madden type for the 21st century. Gruden will go back before Cowher, though.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #44
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Screw Andy Reid, what does Marvin Lewis have to do to get canned from the Bengals? Seriously, I think the guy could get caught raping Mike Brown's wife while pouring sugar in his gas tank and still have his job.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #45
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Out of all the options out there, who is fantastic in developing QBs? Cam needs a coach who can help him grow. He has a couple holes in his game that can be fixed with hard off-season work and good coaching.

It's a shame that Rivera will be out at the end of this season. The defense is starting to come alive and I believe it's because Ron's philosophy. I wish he could stay on-staff solely as a Defensive Coordinator, but demotions don't happen in the NFL.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 11-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #46
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

If I'm a Veteran Coach, I'm heading for a team with a franchise QB and a cooperative owner.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #47
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
Screw Andy Reid, what does Marvin Lewis have to do to get canned from the Bengals? Seriously, I think the guy could get caught raping Mike Brown's wife while pouring sugar in his gas tank and still have his job.
Seriously. I mean, part of me is happy he's so inept since I'm a Steelers fan, but I can't help it; I feel bad for Bengals fans. They have THE worst owner in the league and a coach who can only put together a winning season when every other team in the AFC North suffers multiple injuries.

ATTENTION: The rumor about WB's "no jokes" policy is 100% correct. No one should ever doubt any rumor about any upcoming movie, even in cases where it contradicts rumors that have previously been reported. In those cases, both rumors are true.

In other news, Bryan Cranston is playing Lex Luthor, Emily Blunt is Wonder Woman, Benedict Cumberbatch is Martian Manhunter, and that guy from Teen Wolf is Batman.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #48
marvelman2006
Banned User

I know its mean to say but as long as jerry jones breaths he will be his own worst enemy for the cowboys franchise. Sure Ryan has added some attitude to the cowboys defense but garrett has no leadership of men qualities and jones just isnt a good evaluator of talent and refuses to hire a GM. As long as jones is owner/gm/ head coach he will never sniff the playoffs let alone a super bowl. Just look at the ravens, steelers, patriots, they all have owners who hire people to run the football aspect and just own. Its not that hard of a thing to understand.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #49
Erzengel
|-o-| (-o-) |-o-|

Since 1996, the Cowboys are 2 games over .500. Any other GM would have been fired.

You can't run be a successful NFL Coach in Dallas, if the players are looking over your shoulder and going around you to the Owner.

Jones being Owner, GM, PR, giving the injury reports, having twice weekly radio spots, is usurping whomever the HC is.

Good news for the rest of the NFC East and the rest of the NFL.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #50
WalkingDeadMike
#KNICKSTAPE

Yup, I love that he is their GM. It literally puts a smile on my face every time I think about it.

When you add to that that the Eagles are going to fire Andy Reid at the end of the year, I get pretty happy.

Closed Thread