Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #676
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: The President Obama Thread

UPDATE: NRA LOBBYIST SAYS OBAMA KIDS' AD "WASN'T PARTICULARLY HELPFUL"
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...s-ill-advised/

Ya think?! Condemn the president all you want but leave the kids out of it.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #677
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post

President Obama didn't...he might not have marched his own kids out there, but he sure as hell did marched other kids out for his theatrical signing of the 23.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #678
CGHulk
Green Guy

Who Is The Smallest Government Spender Since Eisenhower? Would You Believe It's Barack Obama?
http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...-barack-obama/

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead

Last edited by CGHulk; 01-27-2013 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #679
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Interesting that the two largest spenders were Republicans, (by an almost 8 to 1 ratio) a group that is always loudly complaining about how much the Dems spend.

*splat*
Old 01-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #680
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

I think this is the interesting part of the article....

Quote:
The first year of any incoming president term is saddled—for better or for worse—with the budget set by the president whom immediately precedes the new occupant of the White House. Indeed, not only was the 2009 budget the property of George W. Bush—and passed by the 2008 Congress—it was in effect four months before Barack Obama took the oath of office.
Accordingly, the first budget that can be blamed on our current president began in 2010 with the budgets running through and including including fiscal year 2013 standing as charges on the Obama account, even if a President Willard M. Romney takes over the office on January 20, 2013.

Hmmmm....interesting...

I think this is a very telling article, with some very interesting stuff in it. AND, shows why I never voted for a Republican after Bush I. None of them have been the Fiscal Conservatives that I felt was needed. But, the two years used as examples are very interesting.

I will hold my full opinion on this until I know all of the "ins and outs" of Obamacare.

I will say this, difference between 2008 and 2010-2013...Government spends less when nothing gets done. Why I like the fact that Texas Legislature is in session about half as long as the Federal government. : )

Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 PM   #681
chaseter
Bland User

That graph is a misleader. Bush's last year in office spending jumped huge amounts. The deficit was at $1.2 trillion Bush's last year. Since then, Obama has continued spending around that amount so that the growth of spending hasn't jumped up by much since he is still running $1.2-$1.3 trillion deficits. Deficits and budgets again are very tricky. All you have to look at is the national debt. Who is adding the most to the national debt???

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #682
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

Good thing Obama waited until after the election for this. He would've lost Ohio in a landslide if he pulled this **** in October.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 01-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #683
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

I have to say that 60 minutes interview with Obama and Clinton was vomit inducing....learned absolutely nothing new....and again, vomit inducing. AND I LIKE HILLARY..... : /

Old 01-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #684
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I didn't get to see it...

Old 01-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #685
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

My question is this? Why would he want to do this with Hillary? I just don't get it....

Old 01-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #686
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I didn't get to see it...
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_16...tes-interview/

Old 01-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #687
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:

Lol "wasn't particularly helpful".

Old 01-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #688
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
That graph is a misleader. Bush's last year in office spending jumped huge amounts. The deficit was at $1.2 trillion Bush's last year. Since then, Obama has continued spending around that amount so that the growth of spending hasn't jumped up by much since he is still running $1.2-$1.3 trillion deficits. Deficits and budgets again are very tricky. All you have to look at is the national debt. Who is adding the most to the national debt???
No one? Bueller, Bueller...

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #689
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
No one? Bueller, Bueller...
This brings up something I was thinking about the other night. I see this every once in awhile around here....but never either have the time to go further with it, or even bring it up...

I have noticed certain stories that have been in the news about Obama, etc...and they never see the light of day in the forum, OR....a person brings them up, but they never get discussed. It is actually pretty interesting...I have one that I'm watching right now that a mod posted yesterday, we shall see....

This goes the opposite as well....I'll try and keep up more with it...

Has anyone noticed how little media there has been about Hurricane Sandy...the clean up, where the money is being spent, etc...since the election...? Again, kind of interesting...OH, EXCEPT the article to slam Boehner for not putting the money bill up for a vote (even though it was full of pork, and spending for other things OTHER THAN THE HURRICANE CLEAN UP)...that was all over the news.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #690
dnno1
Side-Kick

White House Response to a petition to have him impeached:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official White House Response to We request that Obama be impeached for the following reasons.
The Short Answer is No, but Keep Reading

By The White House
Believe it are not, petitions like the one you signed are one of the reasons we think We the People is such a valuable tool. There are few resources that do more to help us engage directly with people about the issues that matter to them -- especially people who disagree with us.
So let us use this opportunity to set the record straight:
President Obama didn't declare a war in Libya -- and the limited military mission he did order was in keeping with decades of historic precedent.
The Supreme Court has ruled on the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act -- and they upheld the law.
The President has deep respect and appreciation for the Constitution -- he studied it in law school, he taught students about its principles as a professor, and as a lawmaker and now as President, he's carried out its precepts.
And let's be clear, many of those who have been called "czars" have in fact been confirmed by the U.S. Senate as prescribed by federal law, and others hold policy jobs that have existed in Administrations stretching back decades.
So the short answer is that we won't be calling for the President's impeachment -- and given the fact that you made your appeal to the White House itself, we doubt you were holding your breath waiting for our support.
Here's the important thing, though. Even though this request isn't going to happen, we want you to walk away from this process with knowledge that we're doing our best to listen -- even to our harshest critics.
The key is that we can disagree without being disagreeable. That's the kind of public dialogue Americans deserve.
President Obama has said time and time again that neither party has a monopoly on good ideas. And he's repeatedly asked that all Americans -- those who agree with him, as well as those who don't -- do their part to get involved with their democracy.
That's why the White House has created a host of new tools and channels to help concerned citizens hear from us, and more importantly, to help President Obama hear directly from you. And the fact you signed this petition means you've already found at least one of them.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #691
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Thank you.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #692
Fading
>:(

So, I've been hearing about the white house trying to make it so they can kill Americans abroad with drones based on suspicion that they may pose danger to the US, without any sort of hearing or trial. Which apparently goes hand and hand with the 16 yr old boy who died in a drone strike, and it was brushed off as he was "affiliated" with his father the terrorist.

Now this bothers me. I've defended drones as I think they have the potential to cause less collateral damage striking a target surgical, and directly, without putting our troops in harms way. I draw a clear line at being able to kill our own people based solely on suspicion as soon as they leave our borders, without courts, media, or anyone else being involved.

First there was the double tapping. Now it's almost straight up assassination on our own people. I sincerely hope Obama turns this down as I find it...just wrong (I'm assuming it's not already in place). Imagine if our cops blew up the homes of suspected meth dealers, instead of making an arrest, and taking them through the legal system to definitely prove innocence. Yes I know police =|= FBI/CIA, and meth dealers =|= terrorist plotting mass murder, I couldn't think of a good analogy.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #693
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fading View Post
So, I've been hearing about the white house trying to make it so they can kill Americans abroad with drones based on suspicion that they may pose danger to the US, without any sort of hearing or trial. Which apparently goes hand and hand with the 16 yr old boy who died in a drone strike, and it was brushed off as he was "affiliated" with his father the terrorist.

Now this bothers me. I've defended drones as I think they have the potential to cause less collateral damage striking a target surgical, and directly, without putting our troops in harms way. I draw a clear line at being able to kill our own people based solely on suspicion as soon as they leave our borders, without courts, media, or anyone else being involved.

First there was the double tapping. Now it's almost straight up assassination on our own people. I sincerely hope Obama turns this down as I find it...just wrong (I'm assuming it's not already in place). Imagine if our cops blew up the homes of suspected meth dealers, instead of making an arrest, and taking them through the legal system to definitely prove innocence. Yes I know police =|= FBI/CIA, and meth dealers =|= terrorist plotting mass murder, I couldn't think of a good analogy.
While I agree there is a grey area, I'm of the opinion that any person, American or otherwise, forfeits their rights when they make it their mission to attack this country and its people. Why should this country award you any rights when you are plotting its destruction? If you want to turn yourself in and come peacefully you can have your day in court. But if you are in a combat zone plotting with the enemy you should go down with them. As far as I am concerned, the second you take up arms against us you are no longer an American.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #694
samsnee
Side-Kick

The problem is that if this Presidency can make this case, what's to stop the next Presidency from taking it a little further?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #695
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
The problem is that if this Presidency can make this case, what's to stop the next Presidency from taking it a little further?
I agree, their is a dangerous precedent here, but its better to do it now and fix any problems later than let even worse guys get away because we can't kill one of our own traitorous dogs.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-06-2013, 09:20 PM   #696
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm not convinced about that.

The Nazis burned down the Reichstag to pin it on Communists, then used it to declare a state of emergency and grant Hitler "emergency powers" that he never gave up.

I'm not saying Obama is making this up, but stuff like this, and the attitude you're expressing of "security > civil liberties" is a very slippery slope.

Movie Review Site:
Old 02-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #697
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I'm not convinced about that.

The Nazis burned down the Reichstag to pin it on Communists, then used it to declare a state of emergency and grant Hitler "emergency powers" that he never gave up.

I'm not saying Obama is making this up, but stuff like this, and the attitude you're expressing of "security > civil liberties" is a very slippery slope.
I know it is which is why some things should be only available in time of war. But you could argue a future president could declare war just to suppress his people, but that is what checkpoints are for. Our country was built with checkpoints to make sure people in power could not extend that power in unwanted ways. This is no different. I'm fine with bombing our traitors, but I want checkpoints ensuring this can't take place in the States.

And like I've said in another thread, and a lot of other people have said, capitalism doesn't work in an oppressed society. If our government wants to keep its fat wallet it can't turn the country into a police state. In our current economy it is not likely that a president will ever bomb and opress his own people. Washington and the capitalists wouldn't allow it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 02-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #698
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

And this is why this argument will go in circles.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:38 PM   #699
SV Fan
Side-Kick

For all the "Obama doing this is the END OF AMERICA as we know it" fear mongering we got over the past 4 years, this is one issue(killer drones attacking US citizens) they could easily have an argument for but for the most part they seem rather quiet on the issue

Old 02-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #700
Fading
>:(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
While I agree there is a grey area, I'm of the opinion that any person, American or otherwise, forfeits their rights when they make it their mission to attack this country and its people. Why should this country award you any rights when you are plotting its destruction? If you want to turn yourself in and come peacefully you can have your day in court. But if you are in a combat zone plotting with the enemy you should go down with them. As far as I am concerned, the second you take up arms against us you are no longer an American.
While I agree we should be able to prevent an eminent attack without being handcuffed, I just don't agree "suspicion", and being "affiliated" (i.e. being family in the proximity) should warrant the death sentence without trial. Especially against our own people.

What if intel is wrong, and it was just some jerk joking around with his friends online. Court would figure out he's just some insincitive asshat on vacation, this policy could mean his death. I'm hoping, assuming they'd only use this in extreme circumstances, where a clear threat is coming. However, this is giving our government some losely interpreted power to kill Americans abroad. IMO, this is constitutional over reach, and a blank check.