Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #726
RustyCage
Come what may..

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
How has the Public Education System sabotaged it, and for what reason?
A recent example would be teachers instructing kids to write letters of blind worship about Obama, no negative scrutiny allowed.

A friend of mine (Iraq veteran) from Chicago actually had to write to her daughter's teacher about it last night, after finding out that the teacher was essentially just instructing the kids to copy a bunch of praising snippets out of Time magazine articles.

Her daughter happened to be informed about all the innocent women and children who have been killed by drone strikes in places like Yemen and Pakistan, and wanted to give Obama advice not to hurt any more people that don't deserve it (which one would think is fair enough), but she was threatened with failure over it.

I don't think Obama's the devil, but teaching kids to behave like this crushes their critical thinking skills and is an attempt to condition them to eat up what the status quo spoon feeds them as they get older. To shrug off corruption and just cheer for celebrities.

There have also been recent reports making some headlines of schools painting the Revolutionary War as an act of 'terrorism'.

They paint subservience as the noble course of action. In my school days (90's and 2000's), they constantly preached: "Oppressive tax rates are good for you, because after all, who will build the roads and teach all you good, obedient children if it weren't for the government taking money from your middle-class parents without their consent to really just neglect roads and education and use them for more war and surveillance??", etc.

Meanwhile:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Another famous example would be the way they attempted to re-write the discovery of North America. You know, Christopher Columbus and all that. What kinda "great heroic" guy he was. Left out the unpleasant bits where he was really more like a monster. That was something that was constantly repeated to me as a kid in public school. The agenda behind that is up to anyone's guess, but there is clearly a bias and a desire to lie.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #727
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

If we're going to turn this political, how about those Republicans in Texas who keep trying to "improve" text books?

Or you know, intelligent design, period.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:54 AM   #728
RustyCage
Come what may..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
If we're going to turn this political, how about those Republicans in Texas who keep trying to "improve" text books?

Or you know, intelligent design, period.
I take issue with that too. Strong issue. And unfortunately it's not just Texas.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Republican, nor am I a Democrat. I believe in truth-seeking, non-aggression, responsibility, science, and freedom.

Party politics are petty to me. The left/right paradigm has devolved into little more than two heavily funded (by 'honorable' folks such as Bank of America and Goldman Sachs) babies having tantrums about how they want to over-reach and control different parts of our lives that they have no business in. They're also both pro-war, and pro-big spending (even if at times they like to pretend they aren't, their actions speak louder). Two of the biggest crippling factors of our nation right now.

This thread happens to be about Obama though, so expect Obama criticism.

Last edited by RustyCage; 02-09-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #729
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
A recent example would be teachers instructing kids to write letters of blind worship about Obama, no negative scrutiny allowed.

A friend of mine (Iraq veteran) from Chicago actually had to write to her daughter's teacher about it last night, after finding out that the teacher was essentially just instructing the kids to copy a bunch of praising snippets out of Time magazine articles.

Her daughter happened to be informed about all the innocent women and children who have been killed by drone strikes in places like Yemen and Pakistan, and wanted to give Obama advice not to hurt any more people that don't deserve it (which one would think is fair enough), but she was threatened with failure over it.

I don't think Obama's the devil, but teaching kids to behave like this crushes their critical thinking skills and is an attempt to condition them to eat up what the status quo spoon feeds them as they get older. To shrug off corruption and just cheer for celebrities.

There have also been recent reports making some headlines of schools painting the Revolutionary War as an act of 'terrorism'.

They paint subservience as the noble course of action. In my school days (90's and 2000's), they constantly preached: "Oppressive tax rates are good for you, because after all, who will build the roads and teach all you good, obedient children if it weren't for the government taking money from your middle-class parents without their consent to really just neglect roads and education and use them for more war and surveillance??", etc.

Meanwhile:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Another famous example would be the way they attempted to re-write the discovery of North America. You know, Christopher Columbus and all that. What kinda "great heroic" guy he was. Left out the unpleasant bits where he was really more like a monster. That was something that was constantly repeated to me as a kid in public school. The agenda behind that is up to anyone's guess, but there is clearly a bias and a desire to lie.
About the drone strikes and the letter, yes, it does hinder her critical thinking, but at that moment her thinking was childish and lacking in an understanding of war and its consequeces. Should we allow children to waste their time and believe good always wins and the innocent escape harm or should we instead work to instruct them that this is not always so? I say we work to instruct them gradually in the ways of the world and reality. Afterall if she did send that letter wouldn't she be crushed by the apparent lack of disregard her president shows by continuing to use drones and the civillian casualties wrought by them? It's better to just work to instruct her about the difficulties of that request than let her send it. IF after the teacher explains to her the request she is asking, and she still wants to send it with the realization that the president might not be able to act upon it then that is fine. There is an innocence that children should be allowed to maintain for a time, I'm not advocating taking it all from them at once, but there comes a point were we shouldn't indulge them childish logic. I'm not saying shoot the kid's letter down and laugh while you watch her world crumble, but the teacher could have explained to her why it isn't always possible to save everyone, and why sometimes bad things happen to good people. Its a fine line to walk explaining these things to children, but it should be attempted.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Marvolo; 02-09-2013 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 AM   #730
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

...so I just saw the picture of President Obama shooting a rifle.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #731
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
...so I just saw the picture of President Obama shooting a rifle.

Does he honestly expect us to believe that he enjoys shooting as a hobby? At this convenient time? I don't have a problem with how Obama views gun control, the man is entitled to his own opinion, but don't go off pretending to be something that you're not.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #732
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
Does he honestly expect us to believe that he enjoys shooting as a hobby? At this convenient time? I don't have a problem with how Obama views gun control, the man is entitled to his own opinion, but don't go off pretending to be something that you're not.
I don't blame him for putting out the picture. People on the extremre right were making a stupid issue out of it that he is full of BS about skeet shooting and they want proof, so he gave them proof to make them basically look even more ridiculous then they already are. Sure it's a cynical move and I assume his PR team did it full well knowing that the extreme right will just find even more reason to make a conspiracy out of it making them look even more ridiculous, but that's politics.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #733
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

O's gun photo is funny, but as always, that is all his handlers, not him.

R.I.P. Heath
Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #734
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post

Meanwhile:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Well, most of what you are speaking of comes from the writers of the textbooks who are usually University professors....and then the political appointees to the committees that choose the books and vote on the objectives to be taught. Most of those in both categories are not, and have never been public school teachers.

As far as the individual teacher, yes those things do happen, not on a regular basis or even in the majority of schools around the country. It could be compared to the teachers who refuse to teach volution because of their Christian beliefs. Even though evolution is a part of many state's 7th grade objectives to be taught....but, are more than happy to talk about creationism as a viable alternative.

I'm not saying either is right or wrong, I'm not going to get into that debate.

As far as the textbooks, I see the 100's of inaccuracies of dates, places, events, people and those blatant inaccuracies long before I would be upset about the bias. Teachers have long been teaching with bias to a certain extent, no matter what bias the textbook has....but an ignorant teacher of the inaccuracies IMO poses a problem as well.

So, yes I see the problems, but the biggest problem I see has nothing to do with the above in the Public Schools, it has to do with the schools not teaching how important it is to vote in the first place. That IMO places it somewhat with the other two things you mentioned....

Also, if one wants to really voice their opinion on the textbooks and curriculum, they need turn their attention to the committee I spoke of above....these are political appointments so, really that is where the problem begins, not necessarily the specific teacher here and there that pushes their own agenda in the classroom. To a certain extent most do that, it is human.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #735
Lord
All Mighty

Not from the USA, so i can't know how things work there, but wasn't Obama the best candidate? Mitt Romney's a Mormon missionary, mixing religion with politics isn't a good thing to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #736
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Not from the USA, so i can't know how things work there, but wasn't Obama the best candidate? Mitt Romney's a Mormon missionary, mixing religion with politics isn't a good thing to do
In defense of Romney and his Mormonism, he stayed far away from his religion. I almost think the fact he avoided his religion might have been a blunder to a certain degree because I think it was one aspect of his life if pushed properly could have won him some support or likeability. It also could have gained him some sympathy if people started to attack him on it(much like Obama gains sympathy whenever the far right starts saying he isn't born in the US, or is a radical Muslim, etc) although question is who would attack him more the evangelical right or people on the left looking for an easy thing to attack him on.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #737
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:

Major parties, yes. In terms of every person on the ballot? That would be Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party. 48 states plus D.C he was on ballot. Only got a bit over 1.2 Million votes though.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #738
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
Major parties, yes. In terms of every person on the ballot? That would be Gary Johnson of the Libertarian Party. 48 states plus D.C he was on ballot. Only got a bit over 1.2 Million votes though.
Johnson wouldn't have gotten support in congress so he would have been less than useless if he won.

Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A Fascinatingly Disturbing Thought
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #739
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

So to answer Lord's question, yes.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #740
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
He was not one to really do that....he never really did that as governor. So, I don't really think that was a viable reason not to vote for him, there were others....for me, mainly because I knew I wouldn't get anything much different from Obama. So why vote for either of them? Which I didn't....

Old 02-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #741
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
In defense of Romney and his Mormonism, he stayed far away from his religion. I almost think the fact he avoided his religion might have been a blunder to a certain degree because I think it was one aspect of his life if pushed properly could have won him some support or likeability. It also could have gained him some sympathy if people started to attack him on it(much like Obama gains sympathy whenever the far right starts saying he isn't born in the US, or is a radical Muslim, etc) although question is who would attack him more the evangelical right or people on the left looking for an easy thing to attack him on.
I think his wife did that in her speech at the RNC, and did a very good job it talking about how he counseled young families, stayed with a young man who had just lost his father, etc. IMO, she showed he did much what I believe Christians are supposed to do, far more than what a Mike Huckabee does....flaunt the good deeds to high heaven.

Had Romney's wife not brought those things up, we probably never would have known about them, IMO......that is being a Christian.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #742
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't blame him for putting out the picture. People on the extremre right were making a stupid issue out of it that he is full of BS about skeet shooting and they want proof, so he gave them proof to make them basically look even more ridiculous then they already are. Sure it's a cynical move and I assume his PR team did it full well knowing that the extreme right will just find even more reason to make a conspiracy out of it making them look even more ridiculous, but that's politics.
Yes I do blame him because he should know better.

First of all, he shouldn't have just tried to put out how he goes skeet shooting all the time out of nowhere. Obama's skeet shooting habit would have already been known well before this so it's quite obvious that he's pulling this out of his ass. He's not a skeet shooter. He's pretending to be something he's not just so he can appear sympathetic to the Second Amendment. Now I'm not going to go to the extent of people saying that the picture is Photoshopped or fake, but it's pretty obvious that a guy with his background, is not a recreational shooter.

Second, he shouldn't even bother with these people. These are the same people who insist that he's not American, despite the fact that he's pulled out his birth certificate. These are the same people who say that he's a Muslim, even though he's a practicing Christian. These are the same people who say he's a socialist, even though he clearly isn't. And these are the same people who think that he's personally going to come into their houses and take away all their guns even though confiscation is not up on the discussion table. These people are going to hate the guy no matter what he does. They make the people who moaned and cried about George W. Bush getting elected look sane and rational in comparison. So why even bother trying to please a group of irrational people who will never get pleased to begin with?

Old 02-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #743
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

I agree, it's just one more example of Obama lowering himself to play silly games with people he should just ignore.

Movie Review Site:
Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #744
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
So why even bother trying to please a group of irrational people who will never get pleased to begin with?
I don't think he is trying to please them, as I said it's a cynical ploy to say "see this is what I am up against people" and basically puts the House/Senate Republicans in a lose-lose situation(either they call out the people and lose support in primaries or keep their mouth shut and lose support in national elections)

Old 02-09-2013, 07:48 PM   #745
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well we all know that's what the framers had in mind. The right to bear arms to shoot clay pigeons.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #746
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I agree, it's just one more example of Obama lowering himself to play silly games with people he should just ignore.
Oh, the People Who Hate You
They do not like you Barack Obama
Whether on a plane, a train, or llama.
They do not like you shooting skeet,
They do not like you eating meat,
They do not like you drinking beer,
Or even if you roped a steer.

They won't like you with the monster trucks,
Because young man they do not give a ****.
They do not like you when you pray,
They did not like you anti-gay.
They do not like you cutting tax
They could not stand when you wore your mommy slacks.

You cannot reach across the isle,
'Cause everything you do is vile.
They complained when you killed Osama.

So on a train, a plain, or a llama,
Rolling a 44 at Bowlerama,
Despite your nice white Kansas mama, comma.
They do not like you Barack Obama.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #747
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I don't think he is trying to please them, as I said it's a cynical ploy to say "see this is what I am up against people" and basically puts the House/Senate Republicans in a lose-lose situation(either they call out the people and lose support in primaries or keep their mouth shut and lose support in national elections)
Except it isn't going to hurt the Republicans at all because most people are not going to remember this bad photo-op. The best thing for Obama to do is just simply not even acknowledge these crazies. Stooping to their level just makes him look foolish.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #748
Holiday
'Bout that action

I like Rock but he's got this one backwards;

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The people are the boss, not the President.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #749
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I'm sure he would have said the same if Romney had won the election.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #750
Kelly
I'm Awake!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
He shouldn't be playing ANY games....he shouldn't be trying to put ANYONE his party or not in a "lose-Lose" situation, it demeans his position, makes him look petty as hell. He needs to be a leader, and this is NOT how you do that.