Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #751
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The President Obama Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
He shouldn't be playing ANY games....he shouldn't be trying to put ANYONE his party or not in a "lose-Lose" situation, it demeans his position, makes him look petty as hell. He needs to be a leader, and this is NOT how you do that.
I agree, and this has been a recurring problem for him, all the way back to when he stooped to getting into a tit-for-tat with Sarah Palin, which should have been Biden's job, during his first election campaign, simultaneously making her more important and demeaning himself.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Old 02-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #752
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
I agree, and this has been a recurring problem for him, all the way back to when he stooped to getting into a tit-for-tat with Sarah Palin, which should have been Biden's job, during his first election campaign, simultaneously making her more important and demeaning himself.
Obama just doesn't know how to properly pick fights. Instead of dealing with people who actually matter he actually takes the time and effort to deal with birthers, Fox News, gun nuts, and whatnot. They aren't worth his time or attention.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #753
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

I had a feeling he was going to be like this when he called the police up in New England stupid for their actions, and then has the Beer Summit.....that was simply *a head shaker* At the time I thought...well, he is new at this, very little experience, so maybe he just overstepped his place. Little did I know.....

Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #754
Holiday
'Bout that action

Terrific speech;

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #755
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

State Of The Union is fifteen minutes away.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #756
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

I will read the speech afterwards....will be more of the same, nothing new, no actual policy to speak of....same song, different verse. *shakes head*

Old 02-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #757
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

So....Fox News on Facebook quoted Obama....

Really, $9.00 an hour....

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM   #758
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by enterthemadness View Post
So....Fox News on Facebook quoted Obama....

Really, $9.00 an hour....
You know how many people on welfare work FT jobs at minimum wage. Who would you rather have pay them welfare or Walmart?

Old 02-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #759
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I will read the speech afterwards....will be more of the same, nothing new, no actual policy to speak of....same song, different verse. *shakes head*
Don't even bother reading it. It was literally the same stuff as always. Literally.

I was having a serious case of deja vu.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 02-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #760
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Aren't most State of the Unions a waste of time?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #761
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Pretty much.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:03 PM   #762
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
You know how many people on welfare work FT jobs at minimum wage. Who would you rather have pay them welfare or Walmart?

I would like to see min wage go up, but going to take a wild guess that A) Wouldn't prices go up if wages go up? B) Gonna guess the Libertarian in me shouldn't really like a FEDERAL MIN WAGE at all

But hey, we got much worse issues in this country that is sinking than min wage issues, if Obama wants to increase it...go for it, I guess.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #763
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Pretty much.
Tried watching it but fell asleep half-way through since it gets boring watching the President go through talking points he's gone over before and watching the audience cheer after every five words.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #764
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
You know how many people on welfare work FT jobs at minimum wage.
How many?

And why would wal-mart pay them and not fire them instead?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #765
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

So have we heard the Republican 'response' yet basically saying that everything the President said was BS? If it was right after his address, then I missed it.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 02-13-2013, 12:10 AM   #766
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
So have we heard the Republican 'response' yet basically saying that everything the President said was BS? If it was right after his address, then I missed it.
That's always what the response from the other side is.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #767
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
How many?

And why would wal-mart pay them and not fire them instead?
I am using Walmart as an example of companies that pay like crap, not saying they would pay every single person in the US to get them to 9 bucks. That being said their is alot of people who work 40 hour weeks that get paid minimum wage who still get government subsidies such as food stamps and welfare because they below the poverty line, why should the tax payer pay for Walmart(or anybody else) to cheaply pay for somebody's services.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/1...our-safety-net

Quote:
To make matters worse, these abusive Walmart policies have increased employee reliance on government assistance and the need for a government funded social safety net. In fact, Walmart has become the number one driver behind the growing use of food stamps in the United States with "as many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores using food stamps."

Walmart's employees receive $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. They are also the top recipients of Medicaid in numerous states. Why does this occur? Walmart fails to provide a livable wage and decent healthcare benefits, costing U.S. taxpayers an annual average of $1.02 billion in healthcare costs. This direct public subsidy is being given to offset the failures of an international corporate giant who shouldn’t be shifting part of its labor costs onto the American taxpayers.
Basically if Walmart has to increase prices on a bottle of shampoo 10 cents so be it, stop using the government to fund your business(I generally try shop at places that pay their employees properly so it won't hurt me) and pay your employees a liveable wage

Last edited by SV Fan; 02-13-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #768
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
Tried watching it but fell asleep half-way through since it gets boring watching the President go through talking points he's gone over before and watching the audience cheer after every five words.
It was ridiculous how they stood up after every regurgitated talking point he spewed. I'm so tired of both the Republicans and the Democrats.

I don't even know why I tuned in. At least I turned it off after the first 4 minutes.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #769
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
It was ridiculous how they stood up after every regurgitated talking point he spewed. I'm so tired of both the Republicans and the Democrats.

I don't even know why I tuned in. At least I turned it off after the first 4 minutes.
I ate dinner through the first 10-15 minutes. Took another 10-15 of actually watching to fall asleep. Watching the SOTU is like taking an Ambien, guaranteed to cause drowsiness and restful sleep.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:26 AM   #770
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I ate dinner through the first 10-15 minutes. Took another 10-15 of actually watching to fall asleep. Watching the SOTU is like taking an Ambien, guaranteed to cause drowsiness and restful sleep.
That's an almost identical situation I was in.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #771
chaseter
Bland User

Didn't even watch it...don't care what he has to say anymore. He won't do it and Congress won't let him do it. It can be anything...just insert something.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #772
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
While I agree it's about time for a wage increase, not right now...the economy is too fragile. I don't get why these loon leftists think raising taxes and now raising the minimum wage during a recession is going to help the limping economy. An extra few cents an hour won't even help the workers pay the fine for not having health insurance under Obamcare that they can't afford anyways. I really want this country to just collapse and start over.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #773
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
While I agree it's about time for a wage increase, not right now...the economy is too fragile. I don't get why these loon leftists think raising taxes and now raising the minimum wage during a recession is going to help the limping economy. An extra few cents an hour won't even help the workers pay the fine for not having health insurance under Obamcare that they can't afford anyways. I really want this country to just collapse and start over.
A 9 dollar minimum wage means 3500K more a year to a full time worker on minimum wage, that's money we can either cut in welfare programs or that most likely will be spent stimulating the economy(assuming the min wage earner doesn't use welfare programs). You can't tell me their is some wrong when a Company that earns over 15B a year profit pays it's employees so bad that they drain 2.7B out of welfare programs from the Government(tax payers)

As for Tax increase, this country needs to work on infrastructure programs. Infrastructure = jobs. You need to get the money somewhere. Their is alot of tax loopholes that are being abused that won't hurt the majority of US citizens that if you close you can raise some cash

Last edited by SV Fan; 02-13-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:44 AM   #774
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
That's an almost identical situation I was in.
I think the only Obama SOTU I watched in its entirety was maybe 2010. Since then, I spent 2011 on my PS3 and last year I watched a movie on FX while babysitting my niece and nephew.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #775
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Actually, I think what he proposed on immigration reform was very positive and is very doable given the current political climate. Also, his proposals to push pre-school education and using federal aide to refocus community colleges to even partner with high schools were very intriguing ideas to me and, again, seem like common sense for all sides.

As for one moment that I think rips away through any cynicism...

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

If you notice, especially after the clip ended, Boehner is crying. That really actually pisses me off. He sees all these families who's lives were hurt or ruined by gun violence and he'll cry for them. But he won't lift a damn finger to try and stop it in the future. That is so pathetic.

--John Adams
Closed Thread