The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #426
Ryan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

I agree that the first Bane vs Batman scene was intense. I could only compare it to the flipping of the truck in TDK, where it seemed that no one in the theatre even breathed. However for me, the interrogation scene still ranks as my favourite (and apparently Nolan's as well). That you could have these two characters, a guy in a bat suit and another guy dressed as a clown have a serious discussion on morality, that you forget the almost ridiculousness of it all, was truly an accomplishment and made me proud to be Batman and comic book fan. I think for years, comic book fans have felt that the movies didn't do justice to the comic medium and in that scene all was redeemed.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #427
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Am I the only one that feels like TDKR prevents Nolan's trilogy from being perfec

Bane vs Batman isn't something really thought of being compared to a truck being flipped over...both films had situations that were intensified with the hero and the villain, that I get...but the truck being flipped over in TDK? How?

Old 11-25-2012, 07:11 PM   #428
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think those two scenes make for interesting counterpoints (they seem to contrast each other in many ways, especially the way they use light), but as Anno said they're about as different as The Joker and Bane are as characters.

That interrogation scene is a classic though. I think that alone won Heath his Oscar.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #429
Ryan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
That interrogation scene is a classic though. I think that alone won Heath his Oscar.
Couldn't agree more. No matter if yours is Marvel or DC, fans had to be happy about the genre getting that kind of recognition.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #430
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think those two scenes make for interesting counterpoints (they seem to contrast each other in many ways, especially the way they use light), but as Anno said they're about as different as The Joker and Bane are as characters.

It's such a great scene. I don't know if any superhero film is ever going to be able to blend reality/plausibility and fantasy the way TDK did. I think one of the best parts of the film is how it gets most of the material from the comics right and still doesn't even feel like a superhero film. It's such a masterpiece, I can honestly say its my favorite movie

Old 11-25-2012, 07:21 PM   #431
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAVELI25 View Post
It's such a great scene. I don't know if any superhero film is ever going to be able to blend reality/plausibility and fantasy the way TDK did. I think one of the best parts of the film is how it gets most of the material from the comics right and still doesn't even feel like a superhero film. It's such a masterpiece, I can honestly say its my favorite movie
My feelings exactly. Every character gets time to shine and while it is a long film, it is so damn engrossing.

I'm still in awe at how the film didn't end with the big final battle between the hero and the villain, yet it went further and had the Two-Face hostage scene. Ballsy!

Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 PM   #432
Ryan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I'm still in awe at how the film didn't end with the big final battle between the hero and the villain, yet it went further and had the Two-Face hostage scene. Ballsy!
I have to admit that was one of the more powerful endings I've ever scene in a film. Nolan was just relentless in capturing the attention of the audience and he kept them in the palm of his hand the entire film.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #433
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
My feelings exactly. Every character gets time to shine and while it is a long film, it is so damn engrossing.

No other director for a CBM will give us any ballsy endings as Nolan has given us with The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

One has Batman moving on from his battle with Joker and dealing with Two-Face as he tries to make everything "fair" by going after Gordon's son and Batman telling Gordon he will take Dent's crimes in his own name so the White Knight that is Dent can be preserved and so it did for eight long years.

The other has Batman saving his city from a bomb and with every single Gothamite believing the bomb killed this Dark Knight but instead, Bruce Wayne faked his death so he could live a normal life that his trusted Butler always wanted ever since the young Bruce Wayne ran away from Gotham City 10+ years ago while also passing the mantle down to someone else worthy enough.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #434
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I will say this about the endings for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises: they all give me the chills, but each for very different reasons.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:36 PM   #435
Ryan
Side-Kick

Ha, makes me want to watch TDK and Begins all over again. I loved the Begins ending because it was just so much fun seeing that Joker card being turned over. I remember people actually cheering in the theatre over that. TDK's ending wasn't so much fun as just emotionally draining but satisfying at the same time. The voice over by Gordon was movie magic.

Last edited by Ryan; 11-25-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #436
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
I will say this about the endings for Batman Begins, The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises: they all give me the chills, but each for very different reasons.
Seconded.

Not to put down the endings to other great superhero movies, but Nolan's are on a whole other level. Begins left me so excited for the Joker's forthcoming arrival. TDK's left me with a lump in my throat at Batman's amazing sacrifice. Rises' left me very happy Bruce settled down with Selina.

- The Joker
Old 11-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #437
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
TDK, TDKR, definitely...BB, while a great ending, compared to TDK and TDK, the film's ending felt like a regular ending to a CBM, lol(because Nolan raised the bar so ****ing much), but I gotta say...seeing the Joker card at the end and then Batman flying off...made me forget about all the past Batman mistakes film-wise after '89 Batman.

So can't wait to see all three films in a row on December 4th.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #438
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
TDK, TDKR, definitely...BB, while a great ending, compared to TDK and TDK, the film's ending felt like a regular ending to a CBM, lol(because Nolan raised the bar so ****ing much), but I gotta say...seeing the Joker card at the end and then Batman flying off...made me forget about all the past Batman mistakes film-wise after '89 Batman.

So can't wait to see all three films in a row on December 4th.
Yeah man. Don't get me wrong, TDK and TDKR are definitely on another level...but there was definitely a pure joy to the end of BB, knowing how well they had set up the world and that the best had probably yet to come. I remember kicking the seat in front of me when it ended because that's how pumped I was, lol. (Luckily nobody was in it...the midnight showing was only half full, imagine that!)

TDKR is so bittersweet for me, I just didn't feel ready for it to end when it finally cut to black. I'll miss this franchise and this version of Batman dearly.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 11-25-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #439
Ryan
Side-Kick

I'll definately miss the world that was created in Begins. I'll definately miss the great story telling that was in TDK. But I will also really miss Nolan's unique take on the rogues from all of the 3 films.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #440
Binker
Side-Kick

I feel that the more you see the film, the more you realize that it's still a great movie.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #441
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
I feel that the more you see the film, the more you realize that it's still a great movie.
For me its been the opposite. The more times I watch it the more disappointment I feel because it had all the makings to be amazing. For me though a lot of it feels too rushed and falls flat

Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #442
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'll definately miss the world that was created in Begins. I'll definately miss the great story telling that was in TDK. But I will also really miss Nolan's unique take on the rogues from all of the 3 films.
There's nothing you'll miss from Rises?

- The Joker
Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM   #443
Ryan
Side-Kick

Tough question. After seeing Rises, I honestly don't have the longing to see another film from this series. I hate to sound negative, as there were parts of TDKR that I really did enjoy. But after Begins, I could hardly wait to see what Nolan would do with the Joker. After TDK, I really wondered where the next film would take us. With TDKR, I"m completely fine that its the end.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #444
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAVELI25 View Post
For me its been the opposite. The more times I watch it the more disappointment I feel because it had all the makings to be amazing. For me though a lot of it feels too rushed and falls flat
That's exactly how I feel.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #445
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I'm completely fine with TDKR being the end too. It feels complete, and I wouldn't even want another movie. I'm already feeling nostalgic for this series and it's only been over for like 4 months. I'm sure this feeling will only grow with time.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:08 PM   #446
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Indeed. The more I watch TDKR, the more it becomes my favorite film of the trilogy as well as my favorite CBM of all time.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #447
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Damage View Post
Much more than that, it would have been some a major opportunity for some great character development.
I like the idea of it, and am sure it would have been a great scene. Having said that, I think the reason they didn't include such a thing is that it's really treading over ground already covered. I would have preferred Gordon somehow being shown that he was going to face repercussions judicially and him accepting that. To me that was what was missing with Gordon's arc, but I don't think the Nolan's wanted anything like that either because he'd already shown he had come to accept and bear the responsibilities of lying about Dent's death during the film. It would also have been retreading over ground that was resolved for the character previously. It was not resolved from the city's point of view though, which might have felt more complete, but imo was not completely necessary.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #448
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
After watching various scenes online from TDKR, I'm getting this nagging feeling that it's not going to hold up as well as BB and TDK on repeated viewings, lol. I recently watched the "light up scene" and the only reaction shot we see from a Gothamite is Foley's! Yes, I knew this before, but seeing it again is just a big WTF?

With that being said, the first act was just perfection to me. Everything from the prologue all the way to Batman and Bane's first encounter had me on the edge of my seat. Then in the second act, Blake's appearance becomes a little too apparent.
IMO this film really benefits from context. It's excellent to watch as each scene connects with the next, but individually it does have more flaws. IE, for me Talia's death works great in context but if i just watch a clip of that without the emotion and tension built from before it, the weight of it is gone. The film really does have to be incredibly concise because of the scope of the story and that is probably it's biggest flaw.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #449
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
IMO this film really benefits from context. It's excellent to watch as each scene connects with the next, but individually it does have more flaws. IE, for me Talia's death works great in context but if i just watch a clip of that without the emotion and tension built from before it, the weight of it is gone. The film really does have to be incredibly concise because of the scope of the story and that is probably it's biggest flaw.
True enough. Hopefully I will enjoy the film even more at home next Tuesday.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:12 AM   #450
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
It's also a culmination of elements from the previous films as well. Unlike TDK which could *almost* be considered a standalone feature from Begins, Rises is dependent on the story that's come before it. The movie actually opens with a bit from Knight after all (unused, but still). I think that turned some off but for me it was appropriate in crafting a true unified ending.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Closed Thread