The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 AM   #51
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Default Re: November 6th, 2012: Campaigning, Early Voting, Election Day, And The Results! - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Didn't Puerto Rico vote today on whether or not they want to become a state?
Yep.

Quote:
The two-part referendum first asked voters if they wanted to change Puerto Rico’s 114-year relationship with the United States. A second question gave voters three alternatives if they wanted a change: become a U.S. state, gain independence, or have a ‘‘sovereign free association,’’ a designation that would give more autonomy for the territory of 4 million people.

With 243 of 1,643 precincts reporting late Tuesday, 75,188 voters, or 53 percent, said they did not want to continue under the current political status. Forty-seven percent, or 67,304 voters, supported the status quo.

On the second question, 65 percent favored statehood, followed by 31 percent for sovereign free association and 4 percent for independence.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/car...CkO/story.html

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:49 AM   #52
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: November 6th, 2012: Campaigning, Early Voting, Election Day, And The Results! - P

Quote:
Oh well. At least we can start burning all the copies of the Bible and indoctrinating our kids about dear leader.
That first one doesn't sound too bad...

Not that Obama is anti-Christian anyways... but Christianity (nor any other religion) has any place in government or politics anyways. The faster everyone realizes this, the faster we can move on to being a truly free society.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 AM   #53
Thor The Mighty
Side-Kick

THe election EC wise was not close at all but some of the Battleground states were real close.

Thor The Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #54
El Hombre Gato
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Florida is a bunch of idiots that cant count
8 million voters and they kept the polls open till 10pm. They're not gonna over-work the staff. Especially since it doesn't really matter anymore. Obama won.

El Hombre Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:16 AM   #55
chesslover
Side-Kick

America is FUBAR

Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #56
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

I went to bed shortly before the race was called. Solid win for Obama. Not quite a mandate, but solid.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #57
Holiday
'Bout that action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
That first one doesn't sound too bad...

Not that Obama is anti-Christian anyways... but Christianity (nor any other religion) has any place in government or politics anyways. The faster everyone realizes this, the faster we can move on to being a truly free society.
A truly free society... and you're an Obama supporter.

I lol'd.

Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #58
Donut
Side-Kick

Florida needs to change their damn ways next election. Otherwise just say **** Florida

Donut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #59
Siby
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk23 View Post
"where you love"....?
I heard that also and was like, "what?" There were a couple of other times where he seemed to change the word in the middle of speaking and it sounded weird.

I was so fired up last night not just because of the Obama win but from watching Fox. They down played every aspect of Obama's win. There was no hiding the hatred these people have for this man while failing to see it as a victory for the will of the people.

While I was watching Fox, I couldn't help but imagine the people there must see Obama as Chancellor Palpatine giving his speech to the Senate, destroying the republic and establishing the empire. lol

Siby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:36 AM   #60
Ultimatehero
Life is infinite

Long live our land of the free.

Ultimatehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #61
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Florida needs to change their damn ways next election. Otherwise just say **** Florida
You can thank Republican Governor Rick Scott for this mess. He cut early voting short and refused to extend it. No damn reason why people needed to be out in line at 11 PM to vote.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #62
venom892
Got Lucky

Rick Scott is a terrible Governor. I can't wait for him to be gone.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #63
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: November 6th, 2012: Campaigning, Early Voting, Election Day, And The Results! II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Very good. The only real surprises is it looks like Virginia and Florida are going for Obama. the rest fell into place and he had a great victory. If both of those states stay blue, Nate Silver should send Dick Morris, Joe Scarborough and Karl Rove some tissues to wipe away the tears.
I couldn't help myself last and flipped to FOX News after President Obama won. It was priceless!

Quote:
I am happy for the country tonight. I would like to think it means the GOP will realize that their anti-minority, anti-progress, anti-Obama frenzy is self-destructive and a return to adult governess and reasonableness is needed....but I know that will not be the case, at least as long as Obama is president. Oh well. At least it will mean the left has an advantage in presidential elections for the foreseeable future.
I hope the GOP takes a long, hard look at themselves. They cannot continue to be a party of hatred or a party of no. I fear that they're going to resort to the same sad tactics and excuses for why they lost though. (Romney wasn't "conservative" enough. It's all Chris Christie's fault. The Democrats conjured up a hurricane to win and that's not fair!)

Old 11-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #64
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
A truly free society... and you're an Obama supporter.

I lol'd.
Obama and the Democrats support more personal freedoms than Romney and the Republicans that's for sure.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #65
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Default Re: November 6th, 2012: Campaigning, Early Voting, Election Day, And The Results! II

Even Dick Morris is saying the Republicans are truly out of touch. There are comparisons to the Whig party being made.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #66
Matt
The Man
SHH! Global Moderator

People did the same thing regarding Democrats following 2000. The Republican Party isn't dead. They are no where near Whig level. If the economy double dips, they will probably make gains in 2014.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #67
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

Someone who thinks visiting your loved one in the hospital is a "privilege" and not a basic right, and thinks states should have the right to bar people from being with their significant other in the hospital has no business being President in 2012.

No one with a shred of basic decency, no matter their view of gay rights, would question such a thing.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #68
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Someone who thinks visiting your loved one in the hospital is a "privilege" and not a basic right, and thinks states should have the right to bar people from being with their significant other in the hospital has no business being President in 2012.

No one with a shred of basic decency, no matter their view of gay rights, would question such a thing.
Exactly.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #69
chaseter
Bland User

Haha the market tanks today after Obama is elected.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #70
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

Doesn't it always after an election?

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Darthphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 AM   #71
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

No more Governor Millhouse:

http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-rico-go...165132024.html

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #72
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
People did the same thing regarding Democrats following 2000. The Republican Party isn't dead. They are no where near Whig level. If the economy double dips, they will probably make gains in 2014.

The Dems had one election with a transitional candidate in 2004, outside of that the similarities to this election end there. The problems the Republicans face now are more similar to what the Dems had for the 12 years of Reagan and Bush I, when the party was so far left of center with Carter, Mondale, and Dukakis they didn't stand a chance. It wasn't until Clinton came around and brought them more towards the center and refined many of the parties platforms that they became viable again.

On top of that now. Republicans face the issues of shrinking white voting demographic which by and large is almost the entirety of their voting base. They've lost the minority vote including the growing Hispanic population (that Bush II was actually able to appeal to), and they continue to further alienate other up and coming groups like women, close city suburb votes, gays, etc. Hell, based on the stats last night, they're getting crushed in the overall 18-44 age demographic. That's literally an entire generation and a half of people who predominantly vote democrat now.

They need someone with more mass appeal and to become more inclusive. They need to throw out idiotic zealots like Todd Akin and Richard Mourdock. How on Earth do you let those two on your ballot? You're practically giving away those senate seats.

I'm literally face-palming sitting here listening to the Monday morning QB's in the media lamenting that perhaps Romney wasnt "conservative enough." It's ridiculous. The conservatives went out and voted for the guy, not too many other people did, therein lies the problem. You can't win national elections anymore only appealing to old, rich, white, and angry 45+ year old males.

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 11-07-2012 at 11:33 AM.
The Incredible Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #73
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Doesn't it always after an election?
No, it means 4 more years of the exact same (GOP house vs DNC senate and White House), meaning nothing will get done.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #74
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Haha the market tanks today after Obama is elected.
Clearly Bush's fault. Obama (and his supporters... and the media) are used to that excuse.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #75
Kelly
Hoity Toity Administrator
SHH! Administrator

I'm glad to see the number of women elected to the Senate, also gladed to see that a level headed mediator in Claire McCaskill won in the end....people like her and Feinstein need to keep up the fight of working across the aisle.