The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Was TDKR a letdown for you?
Yes 98 42.79%
No 131 57.21%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #376
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Hey Fudgie, I'm curious, what's your first language? I struggle sometimes because mine is spanish.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #377
Anno_Domini
Banned User

If I had to guess, I'd guess it is French since he says mon ami lot.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #378
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
And I guarantee ya loads more people will be going the same way as ya. The more they see it the more they'll see the bazillion flaws with it.

Time is gonna be harsh to this one. Real harsh.
Avenger's crossover novelty will wear and expose itself for the lackluster film it is long before this film drops anywhere near that level.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #379
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think there's just as good a chance that people will eventually get over some of the things that bothered them and enjoy the plethora of goodness the movie has to offer. It's a movie that takes a while to digest. And contrary to what some people think here, I feel it makes the trilogy complete and works best when viewed in conjunction with the previous two films.

But I won't claim to know how time is going to treat it. Nobody can say that for sure. However, I do that believe regardless of how TDKR fares over time, the trilogy in general will still be very fondly remembered by most fans. I was 19 when Begins came out and I consider this trilogy "my" trilogy. I can only imagine how "big" these films feel to the people who were like 11-13 when Begins came out and really grew up with it. For a lot of people this series was their gateway drug into Batman.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:57 PM   #380
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I can rarely answer a yes or no question with just the yes or no. To me, few things can be simply answered yes or no.

Was TDKR a let down?

Yes......because there were so many problems with plot lines that I could not even begin to enjoy it like the other two movies in the series.

Was TDKR a let down?

No....because many of the things I heard about the movie before I saw it made me feel that I would have trouble with it, and so I did not have high expectations going in.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #381
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Avenger's crossover novelty will wear and expose itself for the lackluster film it is long before this film drops anywhere near that level.
Ehh...

out of the three big CBMs in 2012(The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, The Amazing Spider-Man), I see TAS-M quickly becoming a film that'll wear itself out over time before anything happens with TA and TDKR, two movies that quickly jumped into my top five favorite CBMs along with The Dark Knight, Batman Begins and Watchmen.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM   #382
Edguy
Banned User

Just rewatched it, and I stand on that it's a good movie. Not a great one, like TDK, though. The special effects and the fighting really bugs me..

Someone seriously needs to teach Nolan how explosions work..

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #383
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
And contrary to what some people think here, I feel it makes the trilogy complete and works best when viewed in conjunction with the previous two films.
I don't know...the difference between Ra's Al Ghul's mustache and beard from BATMAN BEGINS to THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is pretty jarring.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #384
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^

Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #385
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Haha, touché Guard.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #386
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
..do you happen to read Sluggy Freelance?

Edguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #387
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I don't know...the difference between Ra's Al Ghul's mustache and beard from BATMAN BEGINS to THE DARK KNIGHT RISES is pretty jarring.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #388
Destructus86
Side-Kick

It was a decent movie...but a huge step down from The Dark Knight

Old 12-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #389
Jick
Auxiliary Assistant

No letdown, because the movie itself met my expectations. Bane and the ending surpassed it.

Jick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #390
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

I think the film has some pitfalls, but it was still a thrilling entertaining ride. I dont think it was let down.

I just think that after doing TDK and Inception, people expectation for TDKR went through the roof.

M-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #391
GremlinZilla89
Banned User

It was not a letdown in the least. I think a lot of the issues (most of them really) can be just as easily attributable to TDK, which seems to get a pass because of The Joker. As much as I love it there are just as many WTF moments in TDK as there are in TDKRs yet for some reason people just ignore them completely.

As an emotional story, Rises is better imo. It also builds to a more thrilling and well constructed climax, which is something I feel TDK fumbled with. After the hospital scene the film felt too faced paced and frantic. Rises builds and builds to a crescendo wonderfully. In fact, I'd say TDK is my least favorite of the three. It suffers for losing focus of Bruce too much imo. It's still thrilling and entertaining as all hell, but it doesn't hold the emotional weight as BB and Rises imo.

GremlinZilla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:20 PM   #392
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

TDK doesn't get a pass because of the Joker, it gets a pass because it doesn't suffer from as many flaws as TDKR, and is generally a far superior movie for most people, and with justification. Out of the three Batman movies Nolan did, Rises is the one that got the most complaints about the pacing. Which I also think is justified, especially in the second and third acts. It wastes so much time on dull characters, and keeps Batman out of action for the bulk of the movie.

4 and a half years later TDK's still the comic book movie everyone talks about and loves the most. It's the comic book movie that's influenced, inspired, and impressed dozens of directors and other alumni in Hollywood;

http://www.empireonline.com/features...-knight-effect

http://www.cleveland.com/movies/inde...says_dark.html

http://collider.com/sam-mendes-skyfa...knight/204523/

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=89076

http://nerdbastards.com/2012/05/02/k...es-in-general/

I don't see TDKR ever having a legacy like that. That's the true status of TDK. The only one where an argument could be made for calling a Nolan Batman movie a masterpiece, IMO.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 12-17-2012 at 01:28 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #393
Drambuie
New User - Level 0

Hi all, I joined the forum because I came across it as I was of the opinion that TDKR was disappointing for me and was intrigued why others agreed/disagreed.

My main reason is that as I left the cinema I realized that at no point during the whole film did I stop and think - wow, that's great, or wow, that's a shock. I drifted through the film with little excitement - eg. the football stadium scene was well filmed, but so what. The scenes in Gotham chasing the nuke were ... boring and just a bit daft really. Batman returns at the end to fight Bane, and just exchanges slaps and punches. Bane himself was just a big bloke with a strap on facemask that was surely a very obvious weakness.

My wife liked the film, friends liked it and some saw it more than once. But I thought it was simply a quite good 'superhero' film - nothing more. You could have inserted any movie hero in there, and it would have been the same. I can usually tell if I like a film by a desire to want to see it again - and even now I would feel no sense of loss if I never saw it again.

I wanted it to be good, no great - and that was part of the problem I suppose. It wasn't. In my opinion, by a long, long way.

Drambuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #394
Cannikin
Side-Kick

I thought it was a great end to the trilogy. Casting Hathaway as Selina left me scratching my head, very much the same way I did when I heard Ledger had been cast as my favorite villain, but she impressed me almost as much as she did. She was more of the Selina Kyle I'm used to reading than I've ever seen on screen so far.

I enjoyed it's nods to some of my favorite story lines, like No Man's Land.

People are upset that Batman didn't continue on, and to some degree I was too, but I liked that Nolan showed the toll that being Batman would take on a human body.

Loving the Blu-Ray, especially with the IMAX scenes included. I've enjoyed the repeated viewings and find the pacing to make me a bit less drowsy than TDK did.

All in all, NO it was not a let down in any way aside from knowing it was the last of the Nolan films.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #395
optimus2861
Side-Kick

Yes it was. When I first watched BB I was left thinking, "Damn that was a solid film and really set Batman up well." When I first watched TDK I was left thinking, "Holy hot damn that was incredible! How can they ever top that?"

When I first watched TDKR I was left thinking, "... What the heck was that?" I'm still not entirely sure what to pin it on, but TDKR just didn't work for me. Plot holes? Contrivances? Cliches? A combination of them? Somehow the movie just never drew me in and made me believe what I was seeing, and I'm left scratching my head and can't figure it out.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #396
Powerman34
Side-Kick

I loved all of the Nolan Batverse! With Begins I thought it set up this world very well. With TDK we saw Bats getting in the swing of things and then an incredible ending(although personally I wished we could've have gotten a whole movie with Two Face on a rampage!) Then with TDKR we got a wonderful conclusion to this trilogy! It was moving, unrelenting and pulled nicely from various Bat story lines throughout his history. I think what got alot of fanboys down was that many wanted this to be a series of Bat films that go on indefinately like the Bond films. We wanted to see the UberBat on film. I get that, but even Bond had to be rebooted after so long! And the general audiences (which is what Hollywood really cares about) spoke loud and clear that they loved the Nolan Bat films!

Powerman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #397
brainchild81
Arachnid-Fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Huge letdown. Only saw it twice, and have no strong desire to watch it again.
Ditto. Except I only saw it once

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
brainchild81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #398
Bren
Forevernoob

Found it strangely boring and unentertaining. I enjoyed Begins, liked TDK a lot, but this... Saw it once and doubt I'll see it again.

I've come to realise I prefer origin movies...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #399
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

Let me down, but that could be down to me having far too high expectations for it.

uniqueweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 PM   #400
Figs
Banned User

I really like TDKR, but whenever I watch it, I'm left with this feeling of what could have been. A lot of the complaints people have with this film didn't bother me all that much but I still have that feeling that this movie wasn't nearly as great as it could have been.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote