The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Was TDKR a letdown for you?
Yes 98 42.79%
No 131 57.21%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-27-2012, 03:32 PM   #451
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Agreed. The Dark Knight Trilogy, mostly with The Dark Knight Rises, made me enjoy the character of Bruce Wayne than Batman and I gotta say, I like that feeling. Much like Spider-Man 2 where I enjoyed the character of Peter Parker more than Spider-Man. Getting fans to like the hero is one thing, but the man behind the mask is another.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #452
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

If you expected it to be as good as TDK, then it was clearly a letdown. Also TDK worked as a standalone movie. Even if you didnt see BB, you could completely enjoy TDK. Maybe even more since they recast one of the few connecting threads. TDKR makes absolutely no sense without TDK. Its not a standalone movie, which means it will never be the classic that TDK is.

BB was one of the best origin stories ever. TDK is a standalone classic with an unforgettable villain. TDKR is the concluding chapter in an epic trilogy. Does that make it disappointing? Not necessarily. But if you hoped it would be as good or better than TDK, then yes. Period.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 12-27-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #453
shauner111
Side-Kick

I thought it was just as good as TDK but in a very different way cuz stylistically it's a very different movie. So speak for yourself jojo, it's not "period", its just ur opinion.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #454
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I thought it was actually better than TDK. Yah, I know, it's oh-so frightening to hear

Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #455
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

I didn't think it was all that of a letdown...after a few more viewings.

And as I often like to point out...I was the FIRST to deduce that Batman would retire and be martyrized by Gotham...you search my posts, when everybody was saying I was insane and wrong...HA!

Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #456
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
I didn't think it was all that of a letdown...after a few more viewings.

And as I often like to point out...I was the FIRST to deduce that Batman would retire and be martyrized by Gotham...you search my posts, when everybody was saying I was insane and wrong...HA!
I think a Nolan or Goyer thought of it first.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #457
Rodrigo90
Bat Smiles

They always get credit for my ideas

Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #458
Anno_Domini
Banned User

They time traveled into the future to find out what Rodrigo wanted to see.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 PM   #459
Ryan
Side-Kick

Huge let down in comparison to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.

Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #460
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Proof that some people have way too much free time!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #461
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick09 View Post
For the first time, I enjoyed watching Bruce Wayne on screen and I credit that to Bale. I think he was the best we had so far and I'm counting the TAS's Bruce, too.
Quoted for Truth.

For me, TDKR > BB > TDK

I like the movies with focus on Batman / Bruce Wayne not the villains.

Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #462
Anno_Domini
Banned User

^ While TDKR is my favorite of the three as well, I gotta still vote TDK over BB because TDK is the better film. I love TDKR and TDK because they're not your typical, generic superhero film and while BB has the foundations of that generic origin CBM, albeit a more philosophical origin CBM, TDK and TDKR went off into different branches with the superhero genre. BB is a great story focusing on Bruce Wayne for sure, but I love the latter two films simply because what they have done with the superhero genre that we will never see again, imo. But, still, TDKR is definitely my favorite of the three. A magnificent conclusion to the trilogy as a whole, finally making Batman a symbol for Gotham City to carry on, finally beating the League of Shadows and passing down the mantle. Let alone, my favorite Batman villain is in the film

Old 12-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #463
shauner111
Side-Kick

Watched the entire trilogy, back to back. I LOVE Batman Begins. It could almost be the origin story that is used as a basis for any future Bat movie (no matter what universe they take place in). Even for the Burton/Shumacher movies if it wasn't for the few changes made in "89".

But i think TDK is the better film and dare i say TDKR is now officially my favorite of the 3. Just the epic scope of it all and the bar of filmmaking has been raised in my opinion. The way everything ties up with the previous 2 films and just the locations, the cinematography, the level of acting. TDKR now wins the battle for me.

It's still like one huge story with 3 parts to it, and that's mainly how i look at it. But i do believe the movies got better with each installment. Screw the Rises haters. It's an unbelievable conclusion.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #464
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Watched the entire trilogy, back to back. I LOVE Batman Begins. It could almost be the origin story that is used as a basis for any future Bat movie (no matter what universe they take place in). Even for the Burton/Shumacher movies if it wasn't for the few changes made in "89".

But i think TDK is the better film and dare i say TDKR is now officially my favorite of the 3. Just the epic scope of it all and the bar of filmmaking has been raised in my opinion. The way everything ties up with the previous 2 films and just the locations, the cinematography, the level of acting. TDKR now wins the battle for me.

It's still like one huge story with 3 parts to it, and that's mainly how i look at it. But i do believe the movies got better with each installment. Screw the Rises haters. It's an unbelievable conclusion.
So TDKR is your favorite of the three and when you say TDK is the better film...you're speaking on TDK or BB? That sentence is the only one that had me confused, haha.

If you're saying what I'm thinking you're saying, then you're pretty much on the same boat as me with TDKR > TDK > BB as the films only get better and better until the third film which is the best of the trilogy.

Old 12-31-2012, 06:52 PM   #465
shauner111
Side-Kick

Oh my bad man, i meant TDK is the better film when compared to BB (even though i LOVE that movie so much). We're completely on the same page with thinking that they got better as the years went on.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #466
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

I agree that TDK is 'objectively' the best movie.

TDKR is weird. While it showcases how Nolan has matured as a filmmaker (some of the stuff in this movie is way beyond what he's done in the past), some of the stuff also feels suprisingly amateur. (so perhaps while his skill has increased, his level of care had decreased?)

That being said, I've still been diggin on TDKR the most as of late though, flaws and all, simply because of the subject matter. It's also got more nerdy Batman stuff to latch on to; Catwoman, Robin, classic Batman getting out of seemingly impossible situations, etc, all tickle my Batman bone more than than TDK ever does.

FeedOnATreeFrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:18 PM   #467
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Yes. It wasn't terrible or even bad; it was actually a good movie. I just don't think it was as good as the other two.

The Boy Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #468
RustyCage
Come what may..

Wish there was an option other than 'hot' or 'cold' here.

I was impressed in some ways, and let down in others. It wasn't fully to either side.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #469
Steelsheen
Iconic

it was kinda not like huuuge, since i always maintained never be taken by the hype going in, but there were definitely more scowl-that-doesnt-make-sense moments than jaw-drop-wow-thats-brilliant moments.

M A D N E S S
IS LIKE GRAVITY
ALL IT TAKES
IS A LITTLE
PUSH

Join the newest Maze Runner Community built by Gladers for Gladers! http://themazerunner.net/forums

Follow me on Twitter: All the Geekery @Steelsheen | MazeRunner @DashnerGeek | Divergent @SteeleDivergent

Steelsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #470
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelsheen View Post
it was kinda not like huuuge, since i always maintained never be taken by the hype going in, but there were definitely more scowl-that-doesnt-make-sense moments than jaw-drop-wow-thats-brilliant moments.
I get what you mean, I loved the film but sone parts and aspects of it really let me down. I'd have loved to have seen a film with the police after Batman the whole way through until the end.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #471
the last son
Side-Kick

Agreed. That would have been cool. THe police hire Bane to take out Batman but bane has different plans.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #472
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Agreed. That would have been cool. THe police hire Bane to take out Batman but bane has different plans.
You just described Dark Knight with the police and Bane instead of the mob and Joker.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #473
the last son
Side-Kick

guess I did. I always liked bane as a hired gun. It makes his motivations for wanting batman down real. I mean I really didn't understand why Bane really hated bruce.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #474
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Yeah something like that, I'd have liked it if they'd have used the Prey storyline but had Strange hire Bane instead of brain washing a cop.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #475
batfreakforever
A real fan

I loved the film. Outside the internet everyone I talked too loved it too but on the internet, from what i've seen & read it's a failure to some fanboys because of a mixture of things. They had years to think of plots and characters, the joker(heath), what they heard might be the outline for the 3rd film before 2nd was released. Knowledge of the comics, what they found out that it was going to be Bane and the final film. Heaps of things. We will never truly know what might of been but just take it for what it is and what nolan & co have told us. Enjoy!

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote