The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Was TDKR a letdown for you?
Yes 98 42.79%
No 131 57.21%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #576
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

The best Batman movies are always the ones with the Joker. Begins is fantastic however.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #577
Bigjxxx
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 137
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Amen! Kevin Smith.

Bigjxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #578
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
rope fall that kills a man that doesn't kill Bruce
Hrm?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #579
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

There is that word again... "realism"

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #580
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Hrm?
A guy before Bruce makes the climb with the rope and falls and dies from the snap, presumably, to illustrate just how dangerous the climb out is. Bruce survives the same rope snap twice with his recovering back.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM   #581
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

He doesn't die, there is no implication of that.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #582
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
He doesn't die, there is no implication of that.
Do we see him again? He just sort of hangs there....looked pretty lifeless to me.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #583
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

He doesn't die. He is still moving. That's the whole point of the rope, that is a safety measure.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #584
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
He doesn't die. He is still moving. That's the whole point of the rope, that is a safety measure.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #585
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
A guy before Bruce makes the climb with the rope and falls and dies from the snap, presumably, to illustrate just how dangerous the climb out is. Bruce survives the same rope snap twice with his recovering back.
You're only assuming the guy dies when he just hangs there....as we've seen Bruce, just hang there, when he falls until they help him down.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


It happens both tries when Bruce tries to climb, but I can't find the first climb anywhere on YouTube.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #586
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I thought it was okay. Kind of threw the whole "realism" thing out the window though. Bruce survives a nuclear bomb with 5 seconds to go (auto pilot or not, it ain't happenin'), rope fall that kills a man that doesn't kill Bruce, even though his back was broken a few weeks ago and is still healing, the prison "chiropractor" punching Bruce's back and fixing it, Bane leaves Gotham to make a round the world trip to drop Bruce in a well...BLAKEMAN BEGINS...Blake knows Wayne is Batman by a "look in his eye", yeeeeeeeet...Gordon still doesn't. And he's had 3 movies to figure it out come on now, movie. No fair to give it to this completely new character, who's had 5 minutes of screen time and not Gordon. And Batman is in it twice, 10 min at the beginning, 15 at the end. In fact, most the Batman footage was all used in the trailer there's so little of it. Catwoman was great though.

But yeah. Could have been much better, easily the weakest in the "trilogy". Not the direction I'd have gone...redeeming Riddler would have been great. Or even Penguin for that matter. But Sean Connery talking out of the Darth Vader mask, err "Bane" wasn't too bad I guess. Actually, I think it's a great movie, just not a great Batman movie. It's the Nolan equivalent of Batman Returns, where Tim Burton got all up his own ass and away from the source material. It's a good example of what happens when a director thinks he is greater than the characters, Nolan decided it'd be better to give us 3 hours of socio-political commentary than a damn good Batman movie. Bruce quitting over Rachel....only in the Nolan U.

Aaand last but not least. NO reference to the Joker. Not even a picture. The hell. I wonder if Ledger had lived if they'd have brought him back or not...I'd have loved to have seen that. I'm sure most would agree.
1) He was obviously not in The Bat with 5 seconds left. It's an editing trick so the audience thinks he's in there still. It jumps in time. Every time they go back to Blakes face and then back to the ocean, The Bat is further out. Logic says that Batman jumped out waaaay before the bomb went off.

Others have commented on the rope part, so ill just say that i agree with them.

2) Watch it again. Blake knows it because he cared to find out and he could tell that fake smile because he's an orphan himself and can relate to putting on a mask throughout his whole life in public places. Gordon doesn't have that backround for one thing and secondly, he says he never cared who he was. Meaning, Gordon could have probably found out easily but made a point not to because it didn't matter to him. This happens in the comics with Gordon and it's happened in the comics with Tim Drake to an extent where he figures things out. I think recently they did the same thing with Dick Graysons origins.

3) If you think Bruce quit because of Rachel, then you REALLY didn't pay attention to the movie what so ever.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #587
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
You're only assuming the guy dies when he just hangs there....as we've seen Bruce, just hang there, when he falls until they help him down.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


It happens both tries when Bruce tries to climb, but I can't find the first climb anywhere on YouTube.
Okay. But what about Bruce's healing back?

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #588
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
1) He was obviously not in The Bat with 5 seconds left. It's an editing trick so the audience thinks he's in there still. It jumps in time. Every time they go back to Blakes face and then back to the ocean, The Bat is further out. Logic says that Batman jumped out waaaay before the bomb went off.

Others have commented on the rope part, so ill just say that i agree with them.

2) Watch it again. Blake knows it because he cared to find out and he could tell that fake smile because he's an orphan himself and can relate to putting on a mask throughout his whole life in public places. Gordon doesn't have that backround for one thing and secondly, he says he never cared who he was. Meaning, Gordon could have probably found out easily but made a point not to because it didn't matter to him. This happens in the comics with Gordon and it's happened in the comics with Tim Drake to an extent where he figures things out. I think recently they did the same thing with Dick Graysons origins.

3) If you think Bruce quit because of Rachel, then you REALLY didn't pay attention to the movie what so ever.

I'll give you the part about Gordon, only for his apparent intended apathy toward it. He still seemed pretty surprised though ("Bruce-?? "). And the whole "knows cuz he, too, is an orphan" thing is still stupid. But there is no way in hell that Batman survives a nuclear bomb that covers a 6 mile radius, with 5 seconds to go merely by jumping out. He's got 6 miles to go up, down, out, whatever direction before he is safe. Unless maybe the bat pla- sorry, "The Bat" has one of those Indiana Jones refrigerators on board that he tucked into and ejected out of, he isn't alive. He'd have had to have hopped out and landed somewhere in the city, but we saw him in the plane rising up past the buildings out the window behind him.


Last edited by Kevin Smith; 02-04-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #589
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
I'll give you the part about Gordon, only for his apparent intended apathy toward it. He still seemed pretty surprised though ("Bruce-?? "). And the whole "knows cuz he, too, is an orphan" thing is still stupid.
The reasoning for this is pretty solid though, Jonah Nolan has stated that the reason that Blake is able to deduce Bruce's identity is because children often pick up things that grown ups can't, making a throwback to another Nolan film "The Prestige"

"It is a little hard to imagine Robin working in that universe, so the idea had to be limited to that gag at the end. But Joeís character is very important to the story. In any movie you need a character looking at proceedings the way you see them, and Joeís character is that character for this film. One of my favorite scenes is when John tells Bruce how he knew he was Batman. Itís like that scene in The Prestige where the little kid sees through Christianís trick. Little kids, they donít have any illusions, they just see the truth of the situation. I feel thereís a kind of spiritual connection between the two movies there." Jonah Nolan
Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
But there is no way in hell that Batman survives a nuclear bomb that covers a 6 mile radius, with 5 seconds to go merely by jumping out. He's got 6 miles to go up, down, out, whatever direction before he is safe. Unless maybe the bat pla- sorry, "The Bat" has one of those Indiana Jones refrigerators on board that he tucked into and ejected out of, he isn't alive. He'd have had to have hopped out and landed somewhere in the city, but we saw him in the plane rising up past the buildings out the window behind him.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:



__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #590
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
The reasoning for this is pretty solid though, Jonah Nolan has stated that the reason that Blake is able to deduce Bruce's identity is because children often pick up things that grown ups can't, making a throwback to another Nolan film "The Prestige"



Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Ha! Wtf. Lol...wouldn't people have seen him eject though?

And I don't know, did Blake ever even see Bruce as Batman (before Bruce quit)? I gotta go watch this again....it's just....it's SO long. And it feels it. Lol. Unlike TDK which I can watch through and through.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #591
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

I don't think he needed to see Batman. The point that is made is that the children at the orphanage made stories about Bruce Wayne "Billionaire Orphan", legends of him, implying that they toyed with the idea of Bruce being Batman at one point. You know in the vein of, "Wouldn't it be cool if this guy was Batman?". But Blake recognized this as the truth the moment he saw himself behind Bruce's facade.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #592
Snow Queen
Side-Kick
 
Snow Queen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,592
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Bruce Wayne went to his orphanage one day and Blake picked up on his act. I'm not entirely sold on how Blake figured it out either but I can believe he saw through Bruce's act then started to try and connect dots that didn't exist as a kid and then by the time he visited Wayne Manor they had become the truth for him. A little convenient but, hey, we do have a vigilante who wasn't killed within a few weeks.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:31 PM   #593
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'
 
Spider-Vader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 12,305
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

I loved TDKR, I don't see anything wrong with it. People were expecting another story similar to TDK (which IS a better movie & what a Batman movie should be), but it's not the story that Nolan wanted to tell.

I loved the story that Nolan did tell, it was a fantastic end to the series. & I loved the movie's Bane, I hope he becomes as iconic as TDK's Joker.

__________________
"Okay...This looks bad."
Spider-Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 PM   #594
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
Okay. But what about Bruce's healing back?
Only a vertebrae was protruding out that someone popped back in and he had to stay in a single position for who knows how long until he was able to walk again(I THINK it had to be at least a month). It's not great medical science, but neither was a man that should be in extreme pain being able to walk around out of a hospital bed for about half a day's time.

I probably get flack for always bringing up previous mistakes made from Nolan during the TDK trilogy, but it's fact that if Nolan messed up one way, then he's not going to become correct when it comes to another situation in the next film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #595
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa
 
ThePhantasm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 11,756
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
The reasoning for this is pretty solid though, Jonah Nolan has stated that the reason that Blake is able to deduce Bruce's identity is because children often pick up things that grown ups can't, making a throwback to another Nolan film "The Prestige"

"It is a little hard to imagine Robin working in that universe, so the idea had to be limited to that gag at the end. But Joeís character is very important to the story. In any movie you need a character looking at proceedings the way you see them, and Joeís character is that character for this film. One of my favorite scenes is when John tells Bruce how he knew he was Batman. Itís like that scene in The Prestige where the little kid sees through Christianís trick. Little kids, they donít have any illusions, they just see the truth of the situation. I feel thereís a kind of spiritual connection between the two movies there." Jonah Nolan
Source
Doesn't really make sense. Bruce Wayne isn't a "magic trick." It sounds clever but when you think about it long its a non-explanation... the analogy breaks down.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow_22 View Post
Look for reports of mysterious heroism in the next 6 years. Then check back on this thread
Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
ThePhantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #596
BlueLightning
Caballero de la Luz
 
BlueLightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,307
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

The facade of Bruce Wayne is the trick. However, I see why it's one of those things that bugs some people. But I kind of like it.

__________________

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended.

BlueLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #597
RustyCage
Come what may..
 
RustyCage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gotham
Posts: 4,017
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
The facade of Bruce Wayne is the trick. However, I see why it's one of those things that bugs some people. But I kind of like it.
I like it too, but he wasn't basing it on very much.

Not that it's terribly hard to 2 + 2 who Batman is if you were really trying to figure it out. The coincidence of his return from "death" and Batman's arrival being the major sore thumb.

__________________
Why do we fall?
RustyCage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #598
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,395
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I loved TDKR, I don't see anything wrong with it. People were expecting another story similar to TDK (which IS a better movie & what a Batman movie should be), but it's not the story that Nolan wanted to tell.

I loved the story that Nolan did tell, it was a fantastic end to the series. & I loved the movie's Bane, I hope he becomes as iconic as TDK's Joker.
I figured they would go with Riddler or Strange for the dark knight sequel. With Riddler, i guess an Arkham Asylum type of storyline would have fit. And with Strange, i assumed it would be the Prey storyline. The latter was what i wanted early on and i imagine most people who disliked the movie thought Nolan would go in one of those directions too. But i loved what we got.

It's fair to say that if Heath had lived he would have had a small role in Arkham and the movie would take place a year later or so. Nolan would have probably teased the younger Dick Grayson version of Robin at the end, setting up the next director to carry the franchise forward. I truly believe this would have happened.

This is what im getting out of the haters. They envisioned something in their minds beforehand so they set themselves up for major dissapointment. It's their own bloody faults, not the movies. Nolan didnt owe the fans anything.

If those people got what they wanted, or if Nolan went in another direction with Heath still alive, everybody would get a more comic book-esque franchise with BB/TDK as the basis of Batmans early years. That sounds fantastic so i understand wanting it but people perhaps get too attached to an idea in their heads.

Im reading a lot of these "letdown" posts and a good chunk of them feel like the poster wanted something VERY specific leading into the movie.

shauner111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:48 AM   #599
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLightning View Post
I don't think he needed to see Batman. The point that is made is that the children at the orphanage made stories about Bruce Wayne "Billionaire Orphan", legends of him, implying that they toyed with the idea of Bruce being Batman at one point. You know in the vein of, "Wouldn't it be cool if this guy was Batman?". But Blake recognized this as the truth the moment he saw himself behind Bruce's facade.
Yeah...ya know that's pretty retarded sounding, right? Even for a movie about a guy dressed up as a bat. "Realism"

Maybe it's me, but that's just too damn thin for a franchise that analyzes and over analyzes everything about Batman.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:09 AM   #600
Kevin Smith
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 6,176
Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Only a vertebrae was protruding out that someone popped back in and he had to stay in a single position for who knows how long until he was able to walk again(I THINK it had to be at least a month). It's not great medical science, but neither was a man that should be in extreme pain being able to walk around out of a hospital bed for about half a day's time.

I probably get flack for always bringing up previous mistakes made from Nolan during the TDK trilogy, but it's fact that if Nolan messed up one way, then he's not going to become correct when it comes to another situation in the next film.
Yeah, but this is kind of a big ****in deal. It was like no research was put into how and how long it takes for a broken back to heal. A quick google search could have done that. TDKR just threw out all credibility as far as I'm concerned. The nuke scene is still ridiculous.

I buy this before I buy the ending to TDKR:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:






However, the best Batman to dispose of a bomb is still this guy:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:





Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.