The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

View Poll Results: Was TDKR a letdown for you?
Yes 98 42.79%
No 131 57.21%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #51
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises - letdown or not?

29 'No's(from Duran's mistake, haha) and 23 'Yes's so far...No has over 50%

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #52
the last son
Side-Kick

I voted yes.

the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #53
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Imo, any series could go on the James Bond way, but they just don't. Spider-Man, Superman, Batman, etc....they've all had a series and they've all gone through reboots. It was only natural for Nolan's series to end as much as it was natural to move on from Spider-man
I know they do but that's my point they don't need to do that. Personally I think it was a missed opportunity with the Bat franchise it really made the Joker's words to Batman at the end of the Dark Knight meaningless when we all knew what he meant. Like I said before I don't think Nolan wanted to do a third film.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #54
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I know they do but that's my point they don't need to do that. Personally I think it was a missed opportunity with the Bat franchise it really made the Joker's words to Batman at the end of the Dark Knight meaningless when we all knew what he meant. Like I said before I don't think Nolan wanted to do a third film.
Nolan didn't until he found a story, and TDKR is Nolan's story, lol. Nolan wanted Bruce Wayne's journey to come to an "end". Really can't see how anyone would think Nolan didn't want this story for TDKR.

But...Joker's words are still true. The words are to Batman, and Batman is still "alive", but with someone else using the mantle.

I mean, I'm with you, I hope one day we do get a series of films much like Bond that will continue. Maybe Sony will try that with Spider-Man or that kind of thinking is what the idea is of with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I'm glad Nolan told his story myself.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #55
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I liked it alot better than TDK, but it did let me down a little bit. I think it was because of the fans talking about it like it was gonna be perfect before it even came out.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #56
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

In a word... Yes.

I can understand why people liked it so much, and I guess in many ways it was a "good" movie, but some things about it were like painfully bad to me. After how much I loved the first two, as well as my love for comics, I was let down. It actually disappointed me as a Batman movie (not reaching the entertainment/quality of Batman '89, BB, TDK, or some of the animated films IMO), a Christopher Nolan movie (it's no Memento, Prestige, or Inception IMO), and a Christopher Nolan Batman movie.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #57
Fudgie
Banned User

Keep 'em coming folks. The results are almost neck and neck after only a day. Proof that the people let down by this movie ain't a minority.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #58
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

I've only seen it once (hides behind couch) but yeah parts of it dissapointed me. I felt like there was some lazy writting. Just for instance having Blake just say he knew Bruce's identity, and Alfried explaining Bane's origin are examples of this. Its not an bad movie, but kinda overhyped and probably my least favorite of the trilogy. ut I need/want to see it again.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #59
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
Keep 'em coming folks. The results are almost neck and neck after only a day. Proof that the people let down by this movie ain't a minority.
Although if you go by wikipedia's section of TDKR on the critical reception, or a site such as Rotten Tomatoes, it does seem to suggest it is a minority. Plus, the fact that 28 people still seem to be a minority and all, lol.

I should get all 161 or so that claimed TDKR to be the best of the CBMs in 2012 to vote on this poll...

Old 11-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #60
Deathstroke
Banned User

The fact that such division even exists proves that TDKR was in fact disappointing.

TDK was virtually universally loved. TDKR isn't.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #61
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
The fact that such division even exists proves that TDKR was in fact disappointing.

Division doesn't mean a film is "in fact" disappointing.

Division means TDKR was, in fact, a polarizing film.

If it were, in fact, disappointing, I'm sure no one would've liked it.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #62
az824
Side-Kick

No!

I loved it! It is my fav superhero movie. The first time I watched it, it did seem like it had a lot of potholes but upon a second viewing I realized they weren't potholes and everything was explained and made sense except for maybe one or two things.

But I loved the characters and the story. The ending was absolutely incredible! I was so emotional during the last 15 minutes. I couldn't believe it and I thought the ending was way too perfect. A happy ending batman certainly deserves, and as a huge catwoman fan, I was very pleased that it was with her.

I was basically the opposite of disappointed!

az824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:34 AM   #63
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Nolan didn't until he found a story, and TDKR is Nolan's story, lol. Nolan wanted Bruce Wayne's journey to come to an "end". Really can't see how anyone would think Nolan didn't want this story for TDKR.

But...Joker's words are still true. The words are to Batman, and Batman is still "alive", but with someone else using the mantle.

I mean, I'm with you, I hope one day we do get a series of films much like Bond that will continue. Maybe Sony will try that with Spider-Man or that kind of thinking is what the idea is of with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but I'm glad Nolan told his story myself.
I get that but as much as I loved Rises ultimately its taken something away from the first two films for me.

Like I said though Nolan could've ended his series without having Bruce retire etc. I personally wanted the third to continue straight from TDK and have the first trilogy as Batman's first year in crime fighting. Then we could have had another trilogy covering his second year but it wouldn't have to be as grounded. I just think its a same cause the first two films (especially the first) left sone amazing groundwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
In a word... Yes.

I can understand why people liked it so much, and I guess in many ways it was a "good" movie, but some things about it were like painfully bad to me. After how much I loved the first two, as well as my love for comics, I was let down. It actually disappointed me as a Batman movie (not reaching the entertainment/quality of Batman '89, BB, TDK, or some of the animated films IMO), a Christopher Nolan movie (it's no Memento, Prestige, or Inception IMO), and a Christopher Nolan Batman movie.
I always say to people Inception is Nolan's best film. I still think Nolan wasn't that even on doing Rises, I think he did it more for the studio than anything with them allowing him to make Inception.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 11-11-2012 at 04:38 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #64
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Although if you go by wikipedia's section of TDKR on the critical reception, or a site such as Rotten Tomatoes, it does seem to suggest it is a minority. Plus, the fact that 28 people still seem to be a minority and all, lol.

I should get all 161 or so that claimed TDKR to be the best of the CBMs in 2012 to vote on this poll...
Speaking for myself, I found TDKR a let down, but if I was a critic writing for Rotten Tomatoes I'd still give it a positive review? Why? Because it's a good film, miles better than a lot of the crap that came out this year. But it's not on par with either BB or TDK and it's certainly one of Nolan's worse efforts.
Thus. A letdown.

My point is that judging if it was a letdown by Rotten Tomatoes doesn't work. While I don't think it's a small minority who found TDKR disappointing, it is a small minority who feel the film is a complete unwatchable mess. Many of the people who were let down by TDKR still liked a lot of what it had to offer.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #65
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

The only thing I didn't like was Bruce was retired for 8 years

Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #66
Deathstroke
Banned User

Quote:
Division doesn't mean a film is "in fact" disappointing.

Division means TDKR was, in fact, a polarizing film.

If it were, in fact, disappointing, I'm sure no one would've liked it.
Not necessarily.

TDK was universally liked. TDKR wasn't. It was polarizing. That in itself makes the third film disappointing.

It doesn't live up to the second film.

Deathstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #67
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

TDKR was not liked universally, I still remember many complaints about the movie at that time on SHH boards.

For example - Dent's arc not explored in detail, Five dead cops, Batman and Rachel surviving the fall from Wayne Tower, ferries scenes being too long ....

And it made less money overseas than TDKR.

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 11-11-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 AM   #68
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite

You mean TDK, ey Bruce?

Batman jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #69
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite

Quote:
Not necessarily.

TDK was universally liked. TDKR wasn't. It was polarizing. That in itself makes the third film disappointing.

It doesn't live up to the second film.
TDKR had some extremely over the top nitpicking, only surpassed by Skyfall.

I don't like the lack of Gordon, I could've done without the "Robin" reference and Talia's death was stupid but that's really about it.

Batman jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #70
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
TDKR was not liked universally, I still remember many complaints about the movie at that time on SHH boards.
Ya can't find a single movie where ya don't get some complaints. Even the mighty Avengers which is loved to death has complaints. Rises got a TON of loud complaints not just off message boards but from all across the net.

Looky at this poll. 62 people votes so far and nearly half of them say TDKR let 'em down. The numbers are still climbing. That's a proper division.

Quote:

Quoted for truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetspike123 View Post
What I liked about TDKR.
1.Catwoman
2.Bane.
3.Action scenes.
Everything else was crap.
Bane was ok but his plan was crap. No point to his siege. The poison the souls with false hope crap was dumb cos they didn't know he was gonna blow 'em up so how can their souls be poisoned when they don't know any better. It was all lame dramatic filler.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #71
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman jr. View Post
You mean TDK, ey Bruce?
TDKR was more liked internationally as compared to TDK.

*\S/T*
Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 AM   #72
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
That's what I was hoping would happen. It would have been the best move.

Instead we get a solid foundation with BB and TDK, completely destroyed by the events of TDKR.
Yup. Rises took a big poop on the first two movies.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:32 AM   #73
Fudgie
Banned User

Bruce Begins, why do ya always log off, then log back in again like 2 minutes later? Always noticing ya doing that. It's so weird.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #74
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Bane was ok but his plan was crap. No point to his siege. The poison the souls with false hope crap was dumb cos they didn't know he was gonna blow 'em up so how can their souls be poisoned when they don't know any better. It was all lame dramatic filler.
Gotham citizens were aware of the threat, and they were living in fear of that, Bane even declared that somebody in Gotham was carrying the trigger.

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 11-28-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #75
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Bruce Begins, why do ya always log off, then log back in again like 2 minutes later? Always noticing ya doing that. It's so weird.
Ooop ya did it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Gotham citizens were aware of the nuke threat, and they were living in fear of that, Bane even declared that somebody in Gotham was carrying the trigger.

So, there was a possibility that Bomb may be detonated any time, and then there was the issue of unstable core that would be completing its life in five months as Dr. Pavel said in the stadium.
Ehhh no the bomb was only threatened to be detonated if anyone tried to come in and invade Gotham or leave it. Nobody was trying that. Bane was saying he was giving Gotham back to the people but nobody had any control except for Bane and the LOS. It was all bull.

Nobody knew about the unstable core except for Fox and Tate.