The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #301
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Mark MILLAR Official Thread

It's not that they're not compatible. It's that a FF/X-Men crossover isn't exactly the best and most interesting crossover idea there is. The X-Men and FF aren't exactly known for their big crossovers together. The X-Men crossing over with Spider-Man or the Avengers would be far more interesting (and yes, I know it is not possible).

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #302
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Historically, the Avengers' encounters with the X-Men have not been that good. I own most of their shared stories, and it is safe to say the almost of them devolve into the two teams beating the snot out of each other, whether it was because of Magneto trying to recover tech from Asteroid M, Magneto being Magneto, the Phoenix Force, or Ultimate Xavier not killing Magneto.

That's ignoring Ultimatum, which I have been trying to purge from my memory.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #303
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

there is nothing really spectacular about crossing the fantastic 4 with the X-MEN, The only cool thing about would be seein them on screen together but in a world full of mutants the fantastic 4 don't seem all that fantastic

Old 12-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #304
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Historically, the Avengers' encounters with the X-Men have not been that good. I own most of their shared stories, and it is safe to say the almost of them devolve into the two teams beating the snot out of each other, whether it was because of Magneto trying to recover tech from Asteroid M, Magneto being Magneto, the Phoenix Force, or Ultimate Xavier not killing Magneto.

That's ignoring Ultimatum, which I have been trying to purge from my memory.
Interesting crossover =/= the teams getting along. The teams don't have to get along for the story to be interesting. If anything, them not getting along is where most of my interest would be invested in.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #305
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Why? What about the FF makes the incompatible with this universe? Nothing from what I can see.
Can you think of one good crossover in the Marvel comics between these two teams? I sure can't. And while FF is great when they're involved with the cosmos, X-Men's best stories are at Earth, and regarding the ideological warfare between Prof. X and Magneto. I know Fox wants to bring them together, but I think it will work about as well as oil and water.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:20 AM   #306
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

A X-Men/Fantastic Four crossover could be great if done wisely. But I don't want it to happen in 2016.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #307
Farren
Side Kicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Can you think of one good crossover in the Marvel comics between these two teams? I sure can't. And while FF is great when they're involved with the cosmos, X-Men's best stories are at Earth, and regarding the ideological warfare between Prof. X and Magneto. I know Fox wants to bring them together, but I think it will work about as well as oil and water.
I thought the FF/X-Men crossover mini from the 80s was pretty good. But I don't see it as movie material, and overall I agree that the FF and the X-Men are best kept apart when it comes to any movies.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #308
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Btw, what is Millar's job right now, if Kinberg takes over the role that was occupied by Millar?
SHH:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer Perry
Update: Mark Millar has clarified on Twitter that he's still working for Fox, saying:
"Don't worry. Simon RE-UPPED his deal. We've all been working together for the past 15 months"

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #309
JP
Smelly

Yeah, twas weird to me how every site was like "SIMON KINBERG SIGNS ON TO CREATE FOX CINEMATIC UNIVERSE!!!"

Uh, that's been in motion since Kinberg, Millar, and Singer got together. LOL.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #310
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Report: Fox Have A Fantastic Four Vs. The X-Men Movie In The Works

Iron Man 3 named 2013's highest-grossing movie

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #311
Angamb
Banned User

and in the meantime the beloved Wolverine ends out of the top 20 domestically.

Yet, Fox keeps thinking he is the be all end all of this huge universe.

Congratulations, Fox.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #312
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
and in the meantime the beloved Wolverine ends out of the top 20 domestically.

Yet, Fox keeps thinking he is the be all end all of this huge universe.

Congratulations, Fox.
The Wolverine is the 15th highest grossing film of 2013 WW. With Over 400m on a 120m budget. Given it looked like a smaller scale Superhero flick and the last Wolverine film wasn't received well, this was a big success. Lot of profit here. Not to mention Fox was cool enough to give us a more hardcore version on video. This was all win, sorry Wolverine haters. I feel your pain with other characters, but The Wolverine was a hit plus a solid movie. Re introducing Logan in a good flick this close to DOFP will prove to be effective.

These next two X-Men flicks and F4 better be friggen awesome for me to shell out for that pointless crossover. Those franchises should be distant, with cameos at the most. We can't even get major X-Men characters developed, no reason for F4 to steal that time.

Last edited by def28; 12-29-2013 at 06:12 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #313
Angamb
Banned User

sorry, def, but when Wolverine has had a full trilogy as a main character and a previous solo movie, that was entertaining, there are no excuses.

Wolverine is the lowest of all the big superheroes. And after 13 years leading the movies, he should be much higher than TW numbers.

You all can try to deffend it however you can, but it is how it is. Even right now he is the lowest of current heroes.

and its the f**** Hugh Jackman, one of the most famous actors in the world and the sexiest man alive to many magazines, women, etc.

So again..... there are no excuses.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #314
def28
Side-Kick

The Movie did good, grossed almost 4 times its production cost making it one of the profitable X-Men films , and people liked it. End of story, and no "excuses" needed.

Last edited by def28; 12-29-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #315
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wolverine is the lowest of all the big superheroes. And after 13 years leading the movies, he should be much higher than TW numbers.

You all can try to defend it however you can, but it is how it is. Even right now he is the lowest of current heroes.

and its the f**** Hugh Jackman, one of the most famous actors in the world and the sexiest man alive to many magazines, women, etc.

So again..... there are no excuses.
Are we not mutants? Do we not bleed? Are mutants..."superheroes"..?

FOX continues to make money from the character in the hundreds of millions. Who's not happy?

Hugh Jackman says 'Hi!' from 20th Century Fox studios, where he's having preliminary discussions with Mangold and the studio about another solo Wolverine flick and perhaps even another X-team entry.

20th Century Fox says: "U.S grosses don't mean as much as you think they do anymore. The Wolverine is the second-highest grossing X-Men-related film to date. Deal with it."

Bryan Singer says: "Hey Angamb, that's right, I had to cut Anna Paquin out of the film. What else can I do for you?"

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #316
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
The Movie did good, grossed almost 4 times its production cost making it one of the profitable X-Men films , and people liked it. End of story, and no "excuses" needed.
the discussing wasnt about its budget and if people liked it or not.

It was that Wolverine is a very well know character, and that he could be much much higher after 13 years.

Thats the story. There is a fatigue, especially on USA. Its been pointed out by many sites, articles, reporters and fans. It cant be denied.

Its just really curious that it all started with Origins Wolverine. and now his second movie does even less on USA. its like... Wow. USA is really loosing interest on the character. Some fans wont accept it, but the boxoffice is speaking.

International market saved the movie, as its becoming bigger and bigger each year, with many franchises doing better sequel after sequel.

But..... USA is another story.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #317
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMercy View Post

Bryan Singer says: "Hey Angamb, that's right, I had to cut Anna Paquin out of the film. What else can I do for you?"

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Old 12-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #318
Angamb
Banned User

and since he couldnt post any solid argument, it ended with something personal.

congratulations, jack. very smart

next. lol

Old 12-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #319
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
the discussing wasnt about its budget and if people liked it or not.
There was no discussion till I posted. Your throwing hate Wolverines way by excluding its full run and only focusing on its domestic like thats all that matters, and Im saying otherwise.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #320
Angamb
Banned User

I was the first to mention Wolverine right after the links.

you replied, then I replied. And what does it matter who started the discussion after all? lol

this is not a competition, although it seems it is to some.

I understand some people dont like to accept certain facts when Wolverine is mentioned. And end thinking its all about Wolverine hate. When the real issue is much bigger than that, since its about the franchise as a whole. not about how much a fan likes or doesnt like Wolverine.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #321
def28
Side-Kick

Edit

Last edited by def28; 12-29-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #322
JackMercy
Side-Kick

Quote:
and since he couldnt post any solid argument, it ended with something personal.

congratulations, jack. very smart

next. lol
That's because there is no argument -- it's all in your head.

FOX is making money. Jackman is making money. They're happy. Would they like to make more? Sure...wouldn't everyone?

Lower U.S. grosses for sequels/franchises are an emerging trend, not just with the X-Men series.

Worldwide box office is the new norm (and especially for keeping franchises alive), everyone in the industry knows this -- get used to it.

Bale: Are you doing that on purpose? You woke up this morning and went "right." (laughing)
JackMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #323
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

well unlike some during my peroid up to 2005 when I was buying X titles I was fan of the X universe.I would buy Uncanny X-Men and X-Men are primary
books and then It would depend on others but I would get X-Factor,Wolverine solo books,X-force,and generation X.You never knew how they would shake
up the books by deptures and whatever.

Some people act like if such and such Isn't given hugh role and exactly how I want them then films suck.

Some go on and on on antiwolverine rants and yet complain on The Wolverine having lower box office.A certain user upset with rogue being cut was hoping for the Wolverine to bomb.

Your free to hate Wolverine and films just like others have right to like wolverine and X-Men,X2,First Class,and the wolverine.

Listening to some online you would think everyone hates wolverine.The reality Is wolverine Is centrel character In films because he was most popular character In X-Men comics long before X-Men was made Into films.And Hugh jackman became a star with first X-Men.And film studio want to focus on star.Your free to dislike wolverine but those are facts.

having a film every 2 or 3 years Is much different than having multiple titles come out every month.

The Wolverine In international box office Is top X-Men film,and worldwide Is second highest grossing X-Men film.This was film that came out In late july
with limited promation.A lot of july/august releases weren't exactly making fortune at domestic box office with exception of Despecable Me 2.

Fox has started talks with James Mangold and Hugh on followup to the wolverine.Granted hugh's comments have cast a bit of doudt on it but still.

I have put my money where my mouth Is.I bought the wolverine DVD and the expanded version from Itunes.I didn't buy any other big franchise film of 2013.

Days of future past will be 7th X-Men film with Apocalypse and X-Force to follow with possibly of another wolverine solo and deadpool as well as X-Men VS FF assuming FF aren't In Apocalypse.There was time where just doing a film series on X-Men was dream of fans.Now some fans if such and such Isn't exactly how they want they are all doom and gloom.

Thor:The Dark World despite having the avengers connection has grossed 202 million domesticly.That Is about half of Iron Man 3 domestic.The avengers connection help was limited when you consider the domestic gross of first film was 181 million.Where are those online who claimed Thor would do between 250 and 300 million domesticly because of
the avengers.When you consider back In 2002 some tried to claim the attack of the Clones's 300 million domestic gross was a failure.Thor unlike The wolverine was much more
heavily promated.The Hobbit 2 Is also doing less the first Hobbit.At 6 cinema I am seeing hobbit 2 tomorrow thor Is completly gone.Judging films based solely on Box office Is bad idea.

Last edited by marvelrobbins; 12-29-2013 at 07:41 PM.
marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #324
SoNicRaDiATioN
warming the ocean cold

Your post almost makes it sound like The Wolverine was more successful then TDW. Wolverine is my second favorite character, but let's be reasonable here. It doesn't matter what fans predict online, that shouldn't be used to determine whether a film is a success or failure, the numbers tell the tale. You scoff at the 200 m domestic number, but that's 70 m more then the Wolverine. It's also made 200 m + more WW. The first Thor made roughly 50 m more then TW and that was pre-Avengers. If the Wolverine sequel has more then a 200 m dollar increase over it's predecessor, then I'll agree with you and undervalue the Avengers effect. The Wolverine is a solid hit, TDW is a big hit. In terms of fan response, Thor also comes out ahead at the various sites that people like to reference. Both films are a 7/10 for me. Good, but not great from my perspective.

The bottom line is there's no need to undercut one film in order to prop up another, especially since neither of these two films need it.

Last edited by SoNicRaDiATioN; 12-29-2013 at 08:38 PM.
SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:09 PM   #325
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNicRaDiATioN View Post
Your post almost makes it sound like The Wolverine was more successful then TDW. Wolverine is my second favorite character, but let's be reasonable here. It doesn't matter what fans predict online, that shouldn't be used to determine whether a film is a success or failure, the numbers tell the tale. You scoff at the 200 m domestic number, but that's 70 m more then the Wolverine. It's also made 200 m + more WW. The first Thor made roughly 50 m more then TW and that was pre-Avengers. If the Wolverine sequel has more then a 200 m dollar increase over it's predecessor, then I'll agree with you and undervalue the Avengers effect. The Wolverine is a solid hit, TDW is a big hit. In terms of fan response, Thor also comes out ahead at the various sites that people like to reference. Both films are a 7/10 for me. Good, but not great from my perspective.

The bottom line is there's no need to undercut one film in order to prop up another, especially since neither of these two films need it.
The wolverine defently wasn't more sucessful than Thor.All the wolverine Is failure because of domestic talk,and I was pointing out you could call many franchise declining.Into Darkness did less than Star Trek.Hobbit 2 did less than
hobbit.

This year only Iron Man,Fast and furious,and Hungar games were able to match or surpress last installment of franchise.