The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #276
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - Part 15

TDKR did the same thing. It's hardly overkill.

No trailer by years end would be a bad sign. Still can't believe we've only gotten one still...This seems unusual for a reboot.
-see spiderman/batman/thor

Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #277
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
TDKR did the same thing. It's hardly overkill.

No trailer by years end would be a bad sign. Still can't believe we've only gotten one still...This seems unusual for a reboot.
-see spiderman/batman/thor
I think it has to do with the fact that when the first still had been released, they were still going on with the mindset that the film was going to be released in Winter 2012. Before they coudl release any more, they had changed their schedule, thus halting any new stills that would have likely been released later; waiting till we got closer till the new summer 2013 date.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #278
Marvin
Side-Kick

Possibly.
At the same time I'm sure they knew people would be getting snap shots during production and wanted to present their work on their own terms(such as hiding the trunks).

Last edited by Marvin; 11-15-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #279
The Shield
It's really Happening!

I think it's both. But for sure they wanted to officially show the suit first. Synder said so.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #280
echostation
Banned User

Um they should really attach like 6-7 minutes of footage of Superman for IMAX with the Hobbit... what an awesome kick ass way to really build hype and publicity...

There's been such little advertising, promotional material or anything on this movie so far... it's like dead in the water... I know it's probably just my fanboy anxiousness but I feel like this whole movie is being poorly or totally ignored

Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #281
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
Um they should really attach like 6-7 minutes of footage of Superman for IMAX with the Hobbit... what an awesome kick ass way to really build hype and publicity...

There's been such little advertising, promotional material or anything on this movie so far... it's like dead in the water... I know it's probably just my fanboy anxiousness but I feel like this whole movie is being poorly or totally ignored
It's just the anxiousness thing you mentioned.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:09 PM   #282
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

At this point, there are days where I really feel like we won't be getting anything till March or Feb since the lack of info is depressing.

If we end up getting anything substantial before this year is up; I'll be doing this all over again:

Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #283
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

I trust WB in marketing this film, i'm not worried. I just hope they don't try to rush all the promo the last 2 months before the film comes out. If no trailer is attached to Hobbit, they should just gradually start promo in January, and increase the promo with each passing month.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 AM   #284
charl_huntress
The Offender w/ Magic

Hm....the same ole thing.

I've heard so many people talk about how Superman would kill Lois if they ever had sex, but I've never heard someone make this point before and it's brilliant. If Superman's bodily fluids are so dangerous, then he'd have to use a kryptonite toilet every time he takes a dump.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #285
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
I was thinking they may end up doing this, obviously it would boost arrow's ratings which are doing well for the cw. But I'm not sure if its the best thing in terms of awareness for MOS.
I think it's one of those things it wouldn't help much but wouldn't harm either. I think the reason they did the Begins one with Smallville was to show that this Batman was different to the last one (B&R) and in a way I could see MOS doing the same for that reason, remember there were non co if fans who watched Smallville and I'm sure there are those that watch Arrow. Tbh I don't see it happening but a man can dream lol.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 AM   #286
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

I remember that Batman Begins preview. I thought it showed way, way too much. I wouldn't want the same for Man of Steel (yes yes I know I can avoid watching it...but I wouldn't be able to ). And I just don't want MOS on CW, period!

As for The Hobbit and the prologue, I was not expecting one anyway. I guess it only sucks because Star Trek is seemingly getting the spotlight while MOS may not. Otherwise, no prologue is fine.

I think Marvin and The Shield made some excellent points in the last few pages but Im on a wait and see mode for the next month before I start complaining about anything, but I do want to say two things.

I don't know why some users feel the need to frown upon (or make useless sarcastic remarks) those who supposedly 创complain`` about the lack of news? I don't ever see anyone (or people who feel otherwise) doing that if someone says 创I don't want news because I like the mystery`` or 创I can wait, I don't need the news``. So what's the problem if someone feels otherwise and expresses it? A. It's harmless. B. There is NOTHING else to talk about and C. Marketing is a valid (and important) topic of discussion. So just to conclude if you complain about the 创complainers`` you are just as 创lame`` as you may think they are.

And another thing, someone said that it's useless to compare the marketing of MOS to other, similar movies. I disagree. It can be fun and interesting, especially if there are parallels. Such as MOS lagging behind in it's current time until release, compared to last 3 release of the similar variety from the same studio, especially in terms of movie stills (in terms of that even compared to Begins).

Like I said, Im sure we'll get the trailer, poster and the rest next month. It only makes sense. So I say, let's not worry too much until then.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #287
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
So instead of WB featuring minutes of MoS(a film so far in production that it was originally scheduled to be released in a few weeks mind you), before it's own feature The Hobbit(a film so big and full of genre and demanding the same audience as MOS mind you). They instead let the direct competition in the form of Paramount's StarTrek(squeal of all things) play ahead ala TheDark Knight(and TDKR)?! no....

My dear lord. Well there goes that theory that they are going with the Nolan genre template of marketing. They may or may not release the standard christmas trailer, but it really looks like WB isn't broadcasting that this is the event picture they are fully behind and thus we shouldn't all be too, next year. Don't be surprised if we don't get a full trailer till next year. Moreover, don't be surprised if we don't get another production still. Just more mentions in other interviews by various cast telling us, not only things we already know(more serious..etc) but things they've been saying from day one(superman is the grand daddy...etc).

Come on already...just because this film isn't coming out in a few weeks any more doesn't mean you have to shelve it's buzz as well.

..they better at least release trailer two with hobbit(to get out buzzed by star trek no doubt) or I'll take my shot at making one of those hitler responds to myself.
Quote:
If there was nothing more of MoS till super bowl, that would grounds enough not to care.

More to the point, if MoS performs as well as Marvels last Thor movie, that would be grounds enough not to care. What you care about is up to you. I personally would rather WB give it every chance in the world, especially in light of the fact that it already has more disadvantages than the likes of much of it's competition next year(that includes wolverine).

Heck, if MoS didn't show up at SDCC, that would be grounds enough not to care. In hindsight.

The fact of the matter is if you look back at the 3 or so films that have gotten a prologue in recent memory, any one can deny as to the marketing help it provided to films simply on online word of mouth alone(obviously like comic con, no one actually sees these things), but it's like the joker said: "It's about the message." It showed those studios were bloody excited for those films and thus many in our position followed suit. Paramount is bloody excited for Startrek 2. It would be something if WB was to show if they were excited for this, arguably their biggest and definitely their most significant film of next year(perhaps of the many years to follow, if it truly is their launching point).
If they made a prologue for the next "air bender"(and it was good) I'm sure that'd work many wonders for the skeptics, on boldness alone. If WB thinks they can simply release this movie in june and market it on name alone and still expect massive returns(and they should expect massive returns) then they need to put some work in. How's about starting twith a second production still, no? Well why not...perhaps cause they don't want to take the buzz away from the next batman movie..again.
These things(prologues) aren't necessary, the transformers films do plenty fine without them right? Right.

Truth is I only bring it up cause many were under the pretense that there was a nolan operandi at play here, clearly not. Cause they have little excuses(production/distributionrights/timing) not to. That prologue for Trek will play, and it will be covered all over these sites...buzz aplenty, and I'll be right here saying, WB deciding not to give their most significant film of the next little while this moment is grounds enough not to care. And maybe that's true, a trailer may just suffice(hopefully not one like the last).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Knight View Post
I don't care about a prologue but the first trailer leaves much to be desired. It does little to effectively communicate the tone of the film or direction of the plot. Aside from fandom, the current trailer does little to elicit excitement/buzz/hype. I remember the old WTC Spider-Man trailer, right before it got a hard ban. I saw it online and was immediately excited even though it told no plot points. It simply had an energy that made you want to see what was going to be done with the character.

The existing Man Of Steel trailer is so somber, that if not for my knowledge of Zack Snyder's kinetic directing style, David Goyer's effective scripts and the competent production of Christipher Nolan, I'd fear that this film would be too much like Superman Returns...all based on the uninteresting trailer. I know a better trailer will come, but given the maligned state of the Superman film franchise, I expected Warner Bros. to put a better foot forward than what amounted to a promo for Deadliest Catch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
I tend to agree with you here but for me personally it's a small build up of nervousness since we haven't had anything since the teaser 5 months ago. I mentioned earlier I wouldn't watch a prologue anyway. It's just we've had nothing for so long not even a simple picture of the Kents in character. Let alone anything official announced. Just a bit nervous. It's shadow of decades of let downs hanging over me I guess. It's hard to shake completely, trust me I've tried. I still have a way better feeling about this one. I just want a little more confidence shown from them just to say, "No worries fans, we're not. Here's some proof".

Quote:
It's easy to be a wait and see guy when it's not your one favorite character that's put out crap for decades or been in movie hell otherwise. I am a wait and see guy with everything else. The Avengers, Spiderman, Batman, Thor, Captain America, Hulk, The Hobbit... For me those are meh, I'll wait and see. But I'm sure like you said in every forum you have panic because to those people it means something to them. I think that the MOS forum has had the least panic if someone where to compare. We seem to be more on the side of optimism and that's surprising if you consider how much we've been crapped on with our character in the past. More than any other fan out there I'd say. Movies, Media, and comic wise. I think we've earned a little sweat sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post

Old 11-16-2012, 06:05 AM   #288
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

I agree it gave away far too much, if they did a preview though they could just do a 3 or 4 minute preview. Even if it is on the CW it makes sense to put something like a preview with a comic book show like arrow. It can only help in my opinion.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #289
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
I trust WB in marketing this film, i'm not worried. I just hope they don't try to rush all the promo the last 2 months before the film comes out. If no trailer is attached to Hobbit, they should just gradually start promo in January, and increase the promo with each passing month.
For some reason I think Warner brothers is wary of having Man of Steel's hype competing with the build up to Iron man 3's hype. They won't rev up the hardcore Marketing engines for Man of Steel until a week after Iron man 3 is released.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM   #290
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
G.Godfrey, I thank you sir! It's like a condemning sin around here to voice any type of sweat. No matter how you try to word it. lol Kind on you. I think I'll distract myself for a while... Maybe I'll show you guys what I've been working on. Seems like I'm always posting other artist's works so maybe I need to work on some of my own to share to pass the time.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #291
Marvin
Side-Kick

I will personally be trying to avoid any footage they release(if they ever do). My disappointment stems not so much from my personal need to see anything(I'd rather not). I Would just hope, like I said, that WB did everything they could and did it right.
All the people that are happy there is no prologue for example. Are these people really actually happy about that? I somewhat understand indifference but can someone actually say Paramount is making a bad move and that WB has made this same "bad move" in the past? I don't know how it was around the batboards (I mostly avoid them) but I would imagine their traffic when through the roof around that time and for that reason(among others). WB simply announcing there was going to be a prologue playing pushed that second bat film into one to watch status, regardless of the footage. It simply said here comes the next Nolan Bat film and we're treating it just as special as we did the last one. Lack of that just doesn't seem like something to celebrate, and on principle that makes it something to criticize.

I personally loved that first teaser, but I would and did argue on the side that given present circumstances something more along the SDCC footage would have made more sense. I'm sure Singer could have cut similar footage from Returns to that teaser(obviously not as well shot), and that's not a good thing. What he couldn't have done is cut something similar to the SDCC footage and that means something, especially to an indifferent audience.

Of course the main counter point is that, "it will come" in time. Sure but look at it in extremes if you will. Release the ultimate MoS trailer 2 years ago vs Releasing the ultimate MoS trailer a day before the film opens. The more time things have to fester in a hyper positive environment the better. It's something I would compare to TDK festering and building 3 years worth of hype for TDKR. Unlike alot of films of this sort, they aren't just fighting for hype, they're fighting against a specific form of indifference.

I suppose they could be doing worse, Green Lantern springs to mind, but even they had more material out for digestion at this point, they simply blew it with that first trailer, mainly due to where they were in production....

Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #292
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I'll be happy seeing a couple of trailers, but I definitely would avoid a prologue like Star Trek is getting.

9 minutes is really going to show an awful lot. I want to be surprised when I go to the cinema to see MoS.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #293
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
For some reason I think Warner brothers is wary of having Man of Steel's hype competing with the build up to Iron man 3's hype. They won't rev up the hardcore Marketing engines for Man of Steel until a week after Iron man 3 is released.
Nah, it doesn't work that way. One studio won't not promote their own blockbuster just because a another studio is also releasing theirs in the similar time. There are plenty of 创big`` movies coming out around IM3 and MOS, so what, nobody will promote anything? Besides, I doubt the hype IM3 will get. Personally, im bored of Iron Man and IM2 left a bad taste in my mouth (which Avengers didn't wash away). Anyway, if WB poorly or insufficiently markets Man of Steel it will won't have anything to do with Iron Man 3.

And by all means, MOS should be an event movie, bigger than Iron Man 3 even, come on, it's going to be the 75th anniversary of the worlds greatest (and arguably first) superhero, a pop culture icon! I know nowadays most people don't give a s**t about that but WB should be acting like they should give a s**t and maybe they will. WB needs to show confidence with their own product for anyone to even notice. Of course, now im talking about the future (2-3 months before the movie comes out) and not the current situation, which is that we need an ass kicking trailer with The Hobbit.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #294
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
G.Godfrey, I thank you sir!

Quote:
It's like a condemning sin around here to voice any type of sweat. No matter how you try to word it. lol Kind on you.
I know what you mean, yeah. Even though I don't give a damn if someone doesn't like what I have to say I still sometimes go the extra mile to word it so that it comes off in a way that wont make anyone drop their pants. Sometimes it almost appears like a very, very subtle form of bullying, lol! In real life I can just suplex the bully or ram my fist in his liver but online you gotta use your keyboard. The keyboard is mightier than the sword!

Quote:
I think I'll distract myself for a while... Maybe I'll show you guys what I've been working on. Seems like I'm always posting other artist's works so maybe I need to work on some of my own to share to pass the time.
You make art? By all means, share! If you haven't noticed, at the moment there isn't exactly a lot to talk about around here. And I love checking out Super art (pun intended) good or bad.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #295
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
I will personally be trying to avoid any footage they release(if they ever do). My disappointment stems not so much from my personal need to see anything(I'd rather not). I Would just hope, like I said, that WB did everything they could and did it right.
All the people that are happy there is no prologue for example. Are these people really actually happy about that? I somewhat understand indifference but can someone actually say Paramount is making a bad move and that WB has made this same "bad move" in the past? I don't know how it was around the batboards (I mostly avoid them) but I would imagine their traffic when through the roof around that time and for that reason(among others). WB simply announcing there was going to be a prologue playing pushed that second bat film into one to watch status, regardless of the footage. It simply said here comes the next Nolan Bat film and we're treating it just as special as we did the last one. Lack of that just doesn't seem like something to celebrate, and on principle that makes it something to criticize.

I personally loved that first teaser, but I would and did argue on the side that given present circumstances something more along the SDCC footage would have made more sense. I'm sure Singer could have cut similar footage from Returns to that teaser(obviously not as well shot), and that's not a good thing. What he couldn't have done is cut something similar to the SDCC footage and that means something, especially to an indifferent audience.

Of course the main counter point is that, "it will come" in time. Sure but look at it in extremes if you will. Release the ultimate MoS trailer 2 years ago vs Releasing the ultimate MoS trailer a day before the film opens. The more time things have to fester in a hyper positive environment the better. It's something I would compare to TDK festering and building 3 years worth of hype for TDKR. Unlike alot of films of this sort, they aren't just fighting for hype, they're fighting against a specific form of indifference.

I suppose they could be doing worse, Green Lantern springs to mind, but even they had more material out for digestion at this point, they simply blew it with that first trailer, mainly due to where they were in production....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathlok View Post
I'll be happy seeing a couple of trailers, but I definitely would avoid a prologue like Star Trek is getting.

9 minutes is really going to show an awful lot. I want to be surprised when I go to the cinema to see MoS.
I'll watch the trailers but try to avoid the TV clips and any spoilers that might leak. I too want to be at least a bit surprised when I go see the movie, although I guess I should have thought about that before watching every set pic and the like. It's hard to both want to follow the film and join in on the hype fun (like on this forum) and avoid spoilers at the same time.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #296
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

It's not that I'm saying don't ever worry but you guys are acting like it's a forgone conclusion that a trailer won't be released this year, that it will come out two months before the film is to premiere. That theory of you guys is not set in stone and to pretend that it is is to engage in pure hyperbole.

All I'm saying is that every movie that hypes itself for 1 or two years isn't a mega hit. Tron Legacy had to have one of the longest marketing campaigns for a blockbuster film and it still didn't break any records and a sequel still hasn't officially been announced. (That over 200mil budget and what had to be well over 100mil marketing budget is probably making the mouse house a little leery of green-lighting it right away).

If the trailer isn't released in December then I will think that WB is nuts and believes they have another GL on their hands. Normal people don't even pay attention to marketing until 2 or 3 months before a film comes out so 6 months or good, smart marketing is plenty of time, the movie itself just has to deliver the goods after that.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:02 PM   #297
Zorex
No T, No Shade

We are surely on a road to a point when the announcement of any new film production will need to come with a trailer... lest the fans cry foul.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #298
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

How often do you get two trailers for big films debuting together?

Old 11-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #299
dark_b
Side-Kick

i dont think we even need news about the trailer.

Hobbit is the biggest movie from december to april IMO. its even a WB movie.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #300
Charlus
Banned User

Well, I don磘 even ask for a trailer... only thing I am asking for is... give us one or two new stills!!

Closed Thread