The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 11-10-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Default Divided WB threatens DC films

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,207982.story

Quote:
The turf skirmishes have slowed development of movies based on Warner-owned DC's superheroes such as the Flash at a time when rival Marvel Entertainment is cranking out blockbusters like "The Avengers." Uncertainty about who will run Warner Bros. has stymied the studio from renewing its important deal with finance and producing partner Legendary Pictures. The deal expires at the end of next year.
I was afraid of this. Corporate in-fighting has been one of main hurdles to WB's CBM producing efforts going all the way back to the 90s.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Divided WB threatens DC films

At least my favorite DC hero got his amazing trilogy, lol.

But...this could definitely mess up Man of Steel 2 even, yes?

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

So in a nutshell how does this affect future DC superhero movies?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Blackman
C'mon Son

From my understanding, and Im probably wrong, to make DC film there needs to be some level of collaboration between those 3 departments where the 3 competing suits are working. But since they have a "Screw you! I want the job" mentality, they arent really seeing eye to eye causing them not to collaborate to make the DC films.

...I think. Im not sure

Blackman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:56 PM   #5
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

They're all ********s.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

there needs to be a DC films independent of the other departments. Get Geoff Johns involved and give him complete autonomy.

PS- I want a new film with Steel in it.

Hypestyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Ok let's see an example, Nolan's Batman films were released by WB but what is Legendary Pictures then?

Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
Ok let's see an example, Nolan's Batman films were released by WB but what is Legendary Pictures then?
They're another production company that co-produce and co-finance certain movies with WB. Including the Nolan trilogy, Inception, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Watchmen, The Town, The Hangover Trilogy, Pacific Rim, the new Godzilla, 300, the ____ of the Titans movies. The ones they're involved in usually have better results I think. But Jamie or Show have said the only superheroes they're interested in are Batman and Superman.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
there needs to be a DC films independent of the other departments. Get Geoff Johns involved and give him complete autonomy.

PS- I want a new film with Steel in it.

WB already has an independent DC unit called DC Entertainment. They set it up back in 2009 in reaction to the success of Iron Man at Marvel Studios. DCE was supposed to develop DC's comic book properties into films and TV shows and shepherd them into production. It also controls the comic book publishing, as well as animation. Geoff Johns is the creative officer for the unit, and in fact controlled the development of the Green Lantern movie.

DCE hasn't been very effective on the film side, probably due to the nature of WB's power structure and the lack of importance placed on superheroes beyond Batman and Superman. When they've gone beyond those two, they churned out Jonah Hex, Green Lantern and, coming up, Lobo. They don't seem to have a handle on which properties will be most successful and appealing to the audience, and having Johns in charge has not made a difference in that regard.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
The Guard
Side-Kick

Wow...essentially pitting three power hungry businessman against each other.

Great idea to foster cooperation inside a company.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Wonder what would've happened if Alan Horn was still around.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
From my understanding, and Im probably wrong, to make DC film there needs to be some level of collaboration between those 3 departments where the 3 competing suits are working. But since they have a "Screw you! I want the job" mentality, they arent really seeing eye to eye causing them not to collaborate to make the DC films.

...I think. Im not sure
I think that the problem is, each of these execs has a different priorities, for example One may favor DC superhero projects, while other may not think so and want them to make movies like Ocean's Eleven and Hangover, the third one may want to favor Book to screen adaptations like Hobbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Wonder what would've happened if Alan Horn was still around.
Robinov wanted him out.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #13
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Robinov wanted him out.
I know that.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:25 AM   #14
echostation
Banned User

Disney should just buy DC and WB... LOL, that would sort things out

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #15
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
According to Forbes magazine, in year 2011 the net worth of both companies was -

(Figures keep changing each year.)

Time Warner: $ 43 billion.

Disney Corp: $35 billion.

Neither can buy each other.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:30 AM   #16
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

You know what makes me laugh any other film company would love to have DC Co,it's under their belt, they'd be making movies left and right. Yet WBs are useless, they are sitting on a gold mine and as usual ego gets in the way. I wish someone would just buy DC Comics from them.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:42 AM   #17
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
WB already has an independent DC unit called DC Entertainment. They set it up back in 2009 in reaction to the success of Iron Man at Marvel Studios. DCE was supposed to develop DC's comic book properties into films and TV shows and shepherd them into production. It also controls the comic book publishing, as well as animation. Geoff Johns is the creative officer for the unit, and in fact controlled the development of the Green Lantern movie.

DCE hasn't been very effective on the film side, probably due to the nature of WB's power structure and the lack of importance placed on superheroes beyond Batman and Superman. When they've gone beyond those two, they churned out Jonah Hex, Green Lantern and, coming up, Lobo. They don't seem to have a handle on which properties will be most successful and appealing to the audience, and having Johns in charge has not made a difference in that regard.
So much wrong with this post.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #18
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
That's how Monopolies are created son.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #19
Airwings
Waves of air

This confirms what most of us have suspected from the start. Warner Brothers can't handle DC, they don't know what to do with the properties. They act like a newly born baby who doesn't know anything about life, even by looking at all people around them and how they behave in different situations. The baby never learns because it doesn't grow up to a child and later an adult. The baby is stuck in limbo and so is its brain.
This is WB in a nutshell. They can't learn from other studios, because they are blind and deaf when it comes to all the superhero films being made by others. To WB, there have never been made any superhero adaptions before. For them, it's a completely new thing. And like with everything new, there has to be some experiementing and failure before finding the right formula.
Latest Batman franchise was nothing more than a lucky shot, because it had a strong shepperd/leader in Nolan.

Somebody, help WB! Take the weight off their shoulders.

Airwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #20
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
This confirms what most of us have suspected from the start. Warner Brothers can't handle DC, they don't know what to do with the properties. They act like a newly born baby who doesn't know anything about life, even by looking at all people around them and how they behave in different situations. The baby never learns because it doesn't grow up to a child and later an adult. The baby is stuck in limbo and so is its brain.
This is WB in a nutshell. They can't learn from other studios, because they are blind and deaf when it comes to all the superhero films being made by others. To WB, there have never been made any superhero adaptions before. For them, it's a completely new thing. And like with everything new, there has to be some experiementing and failure before finding the right formula.
Latest Batman franchise was nothing more than a lucky shot, because it had a strong shepperd/leader in Nolan.

Bingo

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:49 AM   #21
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
Oh no, hell no!!! Keep Johns away, far away, especially from all things Superman/Batman/JLA.

G.Godfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post

Imo, I really thought they were on the right track at one time when it was mentioned that Christopher Nolan would overlook the DC universe as Whedon is overlooking the MCU now and Mark Millar is tapped to overlook FOX's Marvel universe, but when the Nolan thing became just a rumor, then it definitely feels like Warner Brothers have no idea what they're doing.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #23
HighFivingMF
Welp.

They should get Goyer to oversee it. Have someone else write the scripts, but have Goyer organize. Unless Grant Morrison wants to.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #24
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Comic book movies are just one aspect of many that are WB and its clearly not a priority to them. If Im an exec or board member and see what Disney and Marvel are doing as opposed to what DC and WB are doing then I start asking why are we not doing it too? The business is not running as well as it should/could.

The DC formula is basically already figured out and unique enough that is not a copy of what Disney is doing. Green Lantern doesnt work, Batman and more than likely MOS do. What they need is someone overseeing the whole thing with a good vision and the right talent. Goyer, the Nolans, Snyder, del Toro. Thats a good way to start. They just need to get their **** together from an business point of view and that seems to be the harder part.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #25
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Whedon is pretty much unique. He's a dyed in the wool fanboy who knows the characters and universe backwards and forwards and has had success as a writer, producer/director/showrunner in tv,movies and comic boooks. He and Feige (another fanboy) are a perfect tandem.

There is no DC/WB analog to those guys as far as I know. Johns or Goyer don't really cut it. Morrison is a genius, but he has no real track record outside of comics. Has he ever written a screenplay that was actually produced?

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 11-11-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Joeyjojo72 is offline   Reply With Quote