The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 02-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #426
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Winter Soldier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Was the Winter Soldier ongoing series from Ed Brubaker and Butch Guice any good? I've read Brubaker's Captain America run from the beginning all the way through to the Captain America Reborn miniseries when Steve Rogers got resurrected, but dropped the book around the beginning of the Baron Zemo storyline. Now that I'm going back to reread the comics that I have, I'm starting to wonder what else is worth picking up of Bucky Barnes' post-resurrection adventures.
I thought that the first couple of arcs were really good. However, I HATED the final arc, mostly because of how Black Widow was used/portrayed. Not cool Brubaker, not cool.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #427
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
I thought that the first couple of arcs were really good. However, I HATED the final arc, mostly because of how Black Widow was used/portrayed. Not cool Brubaker, not cool.
How was she used/portrayed?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #428
hafizbat
Side-Kick

I've been trying to keep myself rather clean for this movie regarding spoilers and such, so I haven't been frequenting these boards as much. But does anyone else feel that Sebastian Stan is rather true to character in the lead up to this film? Just like the Winter Soldier, there seems to be a lot of mystery and quietness around him. Of course, I could be wrong and perhaps he's been very active publicly which I am not aware of. But compared to Evans, Redford, ScarJo, and Jackson, he seems to be not as exposed to the public.

Is this on purpose by Marvel? Also, I think it helps that Stan is not that big of a name, as it allows people to completely associate him with the Winter Soldier (we see the opposite with Ben Affleck as Batman).

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:47 PM   #429
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Yes, I'm interested in this too. I thought he was a good writer.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #430
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

For those of us that have no qualms about admiring the male form ().... can we take a moment and appreciate the FINE shape that the Winter Soldier is in:

I'm a fangirl, and I seem to have a thing for the bad boys, first Loki, now WS.... what can I say

~Agents of SHIELD

Last edited by Silvermoon; 02-06-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #431
design9497
Newbie First Class

Couldn't resist making his movie mask like the comic book one.

design9497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #432
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I think Winter Solider is going to end up as one of the most memorable characters in any CBM to date, the Russos have done a fantastic job building him up with these trailers.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #433
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Agreed Winter Soldier has great potential to be a great cinematic comic book adversary

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #434
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
An old associate of Bucky's from his days as the BAD WS reemerges. He wants to hurt Bucky in the worst way possible. He kills a few people and makes it seem like he's going after Bucky, but his actual target is Black Widow. He kidnaps her, brainwashes her into being his ally, and then sends her after Bucky and others. He also tries to get into her pants, but fails. Basically, she's a hostage/damsel in distress for the entire arc whom Bucky, with some help from Steve, Hawkeye, and Wolverine, is trying to save. At the end of the arc, she loses her memories of Bucky and their relationship. Bucky decides to NOT give her those memories back, for her "own good." He does this WITHOUT consulting her, even thought they're HER memories. So basically, Brubaker's last arc has BW be an object to be fought over and Bucky acting like a selfish condescending ass towards her at the end.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #435
MysticRain
Side-Kick

The mask looks good on him as well. I can't wait to see a WS solo poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafizbat View Post
I've been trying to keep myself rather clean for this movie regarding spoilers and such, so I haven't been frequenting these boards as much. But does anyone else feel that Sebastian Stan is rather true to character in the lead up to this film? Just like the Winter Soldier, there seems to be a lot of mystery and quietness around him. Of course, I could be wrong and perhaps he's been very active publicly which I am not aware of. But compared to Evans, Redford, ScarJo, and Jackson, he seems to be not as exposed to the public.

Is this on purpose by Marvel? Also, I think it helps that Stan is not that big of a name, as it allows people to completely associate him with the Winter Soldier (we see the opposite with Ben Affleck as Batman).
I don't think it is on purpose. Stan seems very low key guy and pretty private. Don't think he is on any social media venue. Based on some interviews I have seen, he comes off as reserved but still easy going and even funny. So he is not anti-social or anything. Yeah the mystery and quietness around him really help the character. Maybe Marvel really luck out and cast an actor with the perfect mix of Bucky/WS personality, not to mention look as well.

MysticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #436
hafizbat
Side-Kick

^That's great. He doesn't feel like a typical "movie star", which, like you said, helps the character. I wonder how he feels about the Winter Soldier himself. Does he like the character? Does he feel comfortable with the physicality of the role? Man, I really wanna know more about how he feels lol. We also hear so much about Cap and his gymnastics training, taking his combat to the next level etc etc, but almost nothing about WS.

All I remember was hearing him say once that he did in fact wear a wig for the role, and something about how he actually doesn't like long hair lol if I remember correctly.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #437
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoon View Post
For those of us that have no qualms about admiring the male form ().... can we take a moment and appreciate the FINE shape that the Winter Soldier is in:

I'm a fangirl, and I seem to have a thing for the bad boys, first Loki, now WS.... what can I say
Yeah, he definitely looks strong and solid. If that's actually Stan's body, I am impressed. Shows his dedication to the role. But in real life he looks really thin and not exactly the physical type, so I'm thinking there was some movie magic in that shot.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:53 PM   #438
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Hafizbat: you're partly right... Sebastian Stan's body is magic, but likely not just movie magic

Believe me, if I could get a Ph.d in studying the physicality of Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan, I totes would.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #439
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Hafizbat: you're partly right... Sebastian Stan's body is magic, but likely not just movie magic

Believe me, if I could get a Ph.d in studying the physicality of Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan, I totes would.

Suzanne....bless you my friend

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:54 PM   #440
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Yeah, he definitely looks strong and solid. If that's actually Stan's body, I am impressed. Shows his dedication to the role. But in real life he looks really thin and not exactly the physical type, so I'm thinking there was some movie magic in that shot.

He is an actor and they are known to change their bodies for roles... O_o

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 PM   #441
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
An old associate of Bucky's from his days as the BAD WS reemerges. He wants to hurt Bucky in the worst way possible. He kills a few people and makes it seem like he's going after Bucky, but his actual target is Black Widow. He kidnaps her, brainwashes her into being his ally, and then sends her after Bucky and others. He also tries to get into her pants, but fails. Basically, she's a hostage/damsel in distress for the entire arc whom Bucky, with some help from Steve, Hawkeye, and Wolverine, is trying to save. At the end of the arc, she loses her memories of Bucky and their relationship. Bucky decides to NOT give her those memories back, for her "own good." He does this WITHOUT consulting her, even thought they're HER memories. So basically, Brubaker's last arc has BW be an object to be fought over and Bucky acting like a selfish condescending ass towards her at the end.

I don't like that either. Yuck...good call.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #442
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post

Wow, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. He obviously had a great base to build off of, the image in the trailer now looks quite believable.

Quote:
He is an actor and they are known to change their bodies for roles... O_o
Yes of course, but considering that he looked like this during D23 and Comic-Con

I didn't take him for a very muscular, physical guy. Coupled with the relative quietness concerning his prep for the role compared to Evans, I didn't think it would be a far stretch to assume a body double was being used.

Clearly, I was wrong, and I am glad.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #443
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Wow, I'll gladly admit I was wrong. He obviously had a great base to build off of, the image in the trailer now looks quite believable.

Yes of course, but considering that he looked like this during D23 and Comic-Con

I didn't take him for a very muscular, physical guy. Coupled with the relative quietness concerning his prep for the role compared to Evans, I didn't think it would be a far stretch to assume a body double was being used.

Clearly, I was wrong, and I am glad.
LOL...I see what you mean. In that D23 shot he looks frumpy as hell.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:35 PM   #444
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Amazing what clothes can do eh? Hehe

Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #445
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Kind of makes me wonder, since Bucky has been going around and causing havoc as "The Winter Soldier", I wonder why his superiors never sent him to take out Tony Stark (without his armor) or capture Banner while he was on the run. Seems like he would be more than capable of doing so if planned right.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #446
hafizbat
Side-Kick

It's probably more trouble than it's worth to assassinate someone like Tony Stark. The Winter Soldier and his controllers seem to be a more subtle type of villainy....ambassador missing here, peace-treaty-never-reaching-the-other-party there. Clandestine things that have the potential to "shape the century" as Pierce says...

Old 02-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #447
SharpTeeth
Side-Kick

From an interview with Blackbook, where he discusses Picnic, the play from which that shirtless photo is from.

Quote:
So, did you have to get in shape for the role, or is that just your natural physique?
[Laughs] No, that is not my natural physique. Boy, would I love it to be. I did have to get into shape. While I can, I gotta answer some of these funny questions. People weren’t in shape like that back then, no way. That’s so 21st Century. No one can be ripped like that in the 1950s. And for anyone that says that, I would say, go and look at Paul Newman in Cool Hand Luke and The Long, Hot Summer. Just look at his physique in those films. That should answer the question. The play asks very specifically for—it’s gotta be physical. This is how I saw it and so did the director. At the same time, it became a great challenge to want to get into shape. But, it coincides with another little project where I have to be in shape, so why not kill two birds with one stone?
Captain America.
Possibly.
This gif from Gossip Girl probably represents his everyday physique.

Last edited by SharpTeeth; 02-08-2014 at 11:41 AM.
SharpTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #448
MysticRain
Side-Kick

These were posted in the News thread:

Character description: Steve Rogers’ best friend Bucky Barnes was thought to have died in World War II. However, he resurfaces decades later as the Winter Soldier, a brainwashed, mega-enhanced Super-Soldier doing dirty work for a mysterious organization. The hardened Winter Soldier has no memories of his former identity and that suits him just fine — he is simply a killing machine.

Fun Fact: Sebastian Stan, who plays the Winter Soldier, also went through rigorous fight and weapons training. He took a lot of good-natured ribbing from his friends because he would walk around all day practicing his moves with a plastic knife because he wanted his movements to feel natural.

^Glad to see the dedication Stan has for the role and I love the new shot we got of WS from the Olympic spot.

MysticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #449
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Kind of makes me wonder, since Bucky has been going around and causing havoc as "The Winter Soldier", I wonder why his superiors never sent him to take out Tony Stark (without his armor) or capture Banner while he was on the run. Seems like he would be more than capable of doing so if planned right.
Banner isn't a problem when he's not the Hulk. Stark is to high Profile and would attract too much attention.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #450
Farren
Side Kicker

Bruce Banner is such a third rail that I wouldn't be surprised if these days in the MCU everyone is just like "I ain't touching that crazy." (Although it did seem to be something every silver age villain tried at least once.)