The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #551
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Default Re: The Winter Soldier Thread

Winter Soldier is gonna be a breakout character coming out of this movie. He has "cult fan fave" and "fangirl crush" written all over him. That sound you hear is Tumblr declaring in unison, "Loki is soooo 2012!"

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:13 PM   #552
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Winter Soldier is gonna be a breakout character coming out of this movie. He has "cult fan fave" and "fangirl crush" written all over him. That sound you hear is Tumblr declaring in unison, "Loki is soooo 2012!"
Maybe this is why Marvel signed Sabastian Stan to a 9-picture deal.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #553
Drz
Real Hero

The thing is. Winter Soldier is a sympathetic character on this film, because he's ultimately a pawn. He's not the villain, but he's pretty much the same as Captain America, only that his fate was worse.

I can see the women cryinf and loving him, all that black hair and dark eyes, but Loki will always be more charismatic, because he has more scenery.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:24 AM   #554
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Old 03-27-2014, 10:29 AM   #555
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
That entire interview with Mackie and Stan and Captain Italy was the greatest thing ever.

Seriously though. Pairing Seb with Anthony was a stroke of genius. They are adorable together.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #556
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker89 View Post
The Winter Soldier....Relentless ,unstoppable, highly technical. Thats just a few words to explain this villian. This character in certain scenes had echoes of a terminator imo he didn't come across as human. That was the scary part for me lol one of the best highlights from the film. Sebastian Stan put in overtime for this role, his movements looked straight out of a comic book as did his fight scenes. The costume designer deserves a bow as the suit and overall design of the character looks great on screen.
This really does sum him up perfectly, he has that same seemingly unstoppable menace as a Terminator. He only has 3 or 4 lines but the character will certainly have the Fett effect. Sebastian Stan does so much with his body language and his facials.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #557
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Winter Soldier Sixth Scale Figure by Hot Toys

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectib...ign=032714news

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #558
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

I would love to get Hot Toys figures, but they are way too expensive for me.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #559
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I cant wait to see Steve eventually teaming up and fighting alongside the Winter Soldier in the third CA film.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:34 AM   #560
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yeah, from what I've been reading, it seems like this film is simply "part one" of the Winter Soldier's story. I think that he'll play a big role in Cap 3 as well.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #561
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post

Old 03-28-2014, 07:50 AM   #562
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post

So tempting!!!!

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #563
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Did this interview ever get posted (it's from last week)?

(they have a video of the interview down at the bottom of the article)

CBR TV: SEBASTIAN STAN, THE WINTER SOLDIER, DISCUSSES "CAPTAIN AMERICA 2"

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #564
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #565
lancimouspitt
Side-Kick

Ok someone just spill all the beans for me. Spoil everything possible. PM me,respond something! Tell me everything!

lancimouspitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #566
Comicbookguy339
Side-Kick

So I saw the movie and I have a few questions about the Winter Soldier. Perhaps people who have also read the comic can elaborate a bit. Spoilers follow:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. To what extent was Bucky brainwashed? I mean, did they give him a completely new identity and a fake past? if so how did he feel about getting frozen again and again? Pierce told him that he had shaped the century so the WS must have remembered the previous assignments.

2. Why did he let them wipe him after he remembered Steve and was freaking out? Why not bust out of there or sth?

3. When they wiped him, what exactly/how much did they erase? It seemed like a regular thing they did. Basically, I had trouble understanding what Bucky was going through as the WS.

Comicbookguy339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 AM   #567
Loz1981

Overall I enjoyed TWS, but I have a few issues:

1. I really hoped they had killed in Nick Fury. I know it would have been met with a mixed reaction, but if he was 100% dead then IMO that would have made the movie and the MCU much darker, therefore better.

2. It was great to see Senator Stern again, but it annoyed me that he was a Hydra agent. Was that really necessary? I liked the idea that he was just a prick from IM2. Really should have left him alone. If they needed a senator, why didn't they get the guy from the end cedits of the Avengers movie? Would have worked much better IMO.

3. Falcon flying around the new helicarriers and they hit every atom around him but not him? Sucks out all the tension of the scene (ref: RedLetterMedia, SW:AOTC review)

4. The guy Cap fights at the beginning, the Merc' on the ship. After beating up all opposition with one single kick or punch, whats up with this guy. He takes some of Cap's best shots, and even escapes at the end. As thgis was right at the beginning of the movie, I thought he's be a Hydra model of super agent, but he barely featured again and we never found out why he could take Cap's best shots like a machine.

anyway, those are my gripes on an otherwise great film.

Loz1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #568
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz1981 View Post
Overall I enjoyed TWS, but I have a few issues:

1. I really hoped they had killed in Nick Fury. I know it would have been met with a mixed reaction, but if he was 100% dead then IMO that would have made the movie and the MCU much darker, therefore better.

2. It was great to see Senator Stern again, but it annoyed me that he was a Hydra agent. Was that really necessary? I liked the idea that he was just a prick from IM2. Really should have left him alone. If they needed a senator, why didn't they get the guy from the end cedits of the Avengers movie? Would have worked much better IMO.

3. Falcon flying around the new helicarriers and they hit every atom around him but not him? Sucks out all the tension of the scene (ref: RedLetterMedia, SW:AOTC review)

4. The guy Cap fights at the beginning, the Merc' on the ship. After beating up all opposition with one single kick or punch, whats up with this guy. He takes some of Cap's best shots, and even escapes at the end. As thgis was right at the beginning of the movie, I thought he's be a Hydra model of super agent, but he barely featured again and we never found out why he could take Cap's best shots like a machine.

anyway, those are my gripes on an otherwise great film.

1. They were never going to actually kill off Fury, at least in this movie. Sam Jackson still has several movies left on his contract and Marvel is going to use him to the fullest. It's Samuel L. "mother f***in" Jackson for goodness sake. Plus, Fury faking his own death as part of some big plan is a common trope in the comics as well. The movie was already dark enough as it is (HYDRA's big plan was essentially to slaughter 20 MILLION people) so there was no need to waste a good character purely on that account.

2. Senator Stern works better because he's much more well-known. He had an actual presence in IM 2, as opposed to Senator no-name who had a tiny cameo in Avengers and no one probably even noticed him or remembered who is was after they left the theatre. Plus, it's fun to go back and watch those scenes with him in IM 2 and see them in a different context.

3. It's an established trope in action movies that the bad guys can kill red shirt good guys, but when it comes to the main heroes, they can't hit the broad side of a barn. At least this movie has an excuse that Falcon was dodging and flying around pretty fast, as opposed to Star Wars where the main characters are standing in one spot and the villains STILL can't hit them.

4. I didn't care about that, it's a non-issue for me.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #569
The Endless
WE are Groot

Finally had a chance to listen to the soundtrack (it's on youtube now). The Winter Soldier theme is magnificent. It's like Trent Reznor made it. Is it effectively used in the film? Used to build tension throughout? Or is it just used in the main action scenes featuring him?

Old 03-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #570
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
He reminds me a lot of Mark Hamill. If they ever needed someone to play a young Luke Skywalker in the new Stars Wars movies this guy would be the obvious choice.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:30 PM   #571
Volcom
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Endless View Post
Finally had a chance to listen to the soundtrack (it's on youtube now). The Winter Soldier theme is magnificent. It's like Trent Reznor made it. Is it effectively used in the film? Used to build tension throughout? Or is it just used in the main action scenes featuring him?
I don´t know what exact track you´re referring to, but if there´s anything i felt was missing was a score with the ability of build tension. I can´t honestly remember much from the soundtrack. Others might have a different opinion.

I think the credit´s music was cool. But during the movie it wasn´t used all that well.

This movie deserved Hans Zimmer.

Volcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #572
marcvader
Lurker #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k View Post
He reminds me a lot of Mark Hamill. If they ever needed someone to play a young Luke Skywalker in the new Stars Wars movies this guy would be the obvious choice.
So true, had not thought of it.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #573
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Th Wink Re: The Winter Soldier Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
So true, had not thought of it.
Basically I would have cast Sebastian Stan as Anakin Skywalker. He probably could've actually done something with the awful writing.

However, he may have been too young when the prequels came out.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 PM   #574
Minxie
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookguy339 View Post
So I saw the movie and I have a few questions about the Winter Soldier. Perhaps people who have also read the comic can elaborate a bit. Spoilers follow:

1. To what extent was Bucky brainwashed? I mean, did they give him a completely new identity and a fake past? if so how did he feel about getting frozen again and again? Pierce told him that he had shaped the century so the WS must have remembered the previous assignments.

2. Why did he let them wipe him after he remembered Steve and was freaking out? Why not bust out of there or sth?

3. When they wiped him, what exactly/how much did they erase? It seemed like a regular thing they did. Basically, I had trouble understanding what Bucky was going through as the WS.
If his background is intended to be very close to the comics, then what's going on with Bucky is that he came to them with no memory of his real life and only retained his sense memories/skills as a soldier. He was a blank slate, which allowed them to "program" him exactly how they wanted. He's so heavily brainwashed that he has no identity, essentially - he only knows how to follow the orders that he's given and he doesn't have the kind of self-awareness you'd need to question his status quo. The hold they have on him is so powerful that he wouldn't have an opinion on being frozen or wiped, he'd just accept it as his normal. But Bucky is still buried in his head somewhere ("a passenger in his own body") and he did try to rebel against his programming from time to time - he'd have flickers of lucidity, attacking his handlers, for instance, but then it would pass and he wouldn't be able to explain why it had happened. The fact that he did rebel sometimes is what led to them to start freezing and wiping him in between missions (also he had a relationship with Natasha which had a powerful humanizing effect on him before they got caught and were separated), which made his little moments of clarity happen less and less.

I think his scene in the movie was suppose to be like one of those moments where Bucky is trying to break free but ultimately he's been so heavily conditioned over the years that without external reinforcement (like, say, Steve bursting into the room at that moment or just someone telling him more information about Steve, really) he wasn't capable of resisting the order to be mind-wiped. My guess, too, is that Pierce's lines like "you shaped the century" were another part of the conditioning process - something about that that creepy paternalistic vibe he had and his very careful word usage looked to to me like those were code words they use to calm him down when he's having an episode.

As for how much they wiped, it's hard to say but I'm guessing it was what they usually do which is erase everything? Or maybe just his memories of the last few hours against Steve (idk how precise that process is honestly), so that they could then re-assign his order to kill Steve and cement the notion in his head that Steve is the "mission."

I think the Winter Soldier theme on the OST is actually really effective at conveying what's going on inside Bucky's head. Some have said it's like listening to a war between a man and a machine, and the machine's winning - which sums up the Winter Soldier in the simplest terms, imo.

Minxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 AM   #575
Comicbookguy339
Side-Kick

Thank you so much for that answer. Really helps me make sense of the whole thing.

Comicbookguy339 is offline   Reply With Quote