The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #26
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor The Mighty View Post
We all know what happened when there was a legitimate movement towards secession don't we? It didn't turn out well for those that tried if I can remember correctly.
Thats why I say let them try.

But on a serious note, sometimes I do wonder if secession is really so bad. I mean, seriously... There are elements on both sides that are so far apart that I wonder if it wouldn't be best letting us each have our own countries.

The right can have their Christian based theocracy where they dont allow gays, Muslims, or women's rights, and the left can have their athiest government that gives handouts to everyone.

So there's some exaggeration in there, but a part of me wouldn't mind the Christian right having their own country so they can keep their religion out of my life.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #27
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,825
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Thats why I say let them try.

But on a serious note, sometimes I do wonder if secession is really so bad. I mean, seriously... There are elements on both sides that are so far apart that I wonder if it wouldn't be best letting us each have our own countries.

The right can have their Christian based theocracy where they dont allow gays, Muslims, or women's rights, and the left can have their athiest government that gives handouts to everyone.

So there's some exaggeration in there, but a part of me wouldn't mind the Christian right having their own country so they can keep their religion out of my life.
No because the majority in that state wanting secession may not speak for the minority who do not want it. And the minority would have to leave their homes to go to another union state. Also it would weaken those states and potentially create an enemy state right at our border. Imagine if one union state was surrounded by non union states. It would eventually lead to problems. The differences would over time lead to conflicts. The reason states cant attack and strangle each other is due to us being regulated and protected by our federation. You get rid of that and problems will arise. So no i dont think it is a good idea. The last thing i want is a bigoted religious state with no intelligent regulations rising up next door to my state.

It would also do a number on the global economy. That is something we dont need. The dollar would be weakened due to some states adopting new economies. Trade would be a mess of varying regulations and some states would tax other states more for political reasons. Alliances would rise up and squash opposing weaker states. These are the reasons we need a federal government. To keep these things from happening.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


H.E.

Last edited by Marvolo; 11-11-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #28
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,450
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

I would wager that just about every one of the people signing those petitions have no clue just how much the federal government does to help keep their state afloat. Nor do they fully grasp the consequences of suddenly creating 15 new countries inside this one. They would be suddenly forcing thousands of companies to go into an international market. I'd bet they're not thinking about how they secure their borders between other states. Hell, I doubt they can even fathom the simple cost of starting their own countries. They're just pissed and want to whine about it.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #29
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys
 
terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northwest Indiana
Posts: 61,594
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

If they did manage to break off, they'd collapse in on themselves via martial law within a month.

__________________
The only thing funnier than watching stupid people argue is watching smart people argue.
-----------
Who the **** makes a movie and while planning it is like, "you know what this needs...is some Greg Kinnear."
terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:15 AM   #30
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick
 
AndrewGilkison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,534
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I would wager that just about every one of the people signing those petitions have no clue just how much the federal government does to help keep their state afloat. Nor do they fully grasp the consequences of suddenly creating 15 new countries inside this one. They would be suddenly forcing thousands of companies to go into an international market. I'd bet they're not thinking about how they secure their borders between other states. Hell, I doubt they can even fathom the simple cost of starting their own countries. They're just pissed and want to whine about it.
What else do you expect from the kind of people that likely take what Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck say on the radio as gospel?

AndrewGilkison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #31
wraith20878
Newbie First Class
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 24
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

This sounds like a marvelous idea. I seem to remember that this happened before. Nation divided, 600,000 dead, and thousands more maimed. Those were great times weren't they?

This is why when anyone tells me "the south will rise again" I get pissed. Seriously, that worked out so well for us the last time, right?

wraith20878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #32
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: So...15 states want to leave the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
Just because he won reelection doesn't make the racist any less racist. They are stubborn bunch.
Yes, but you're just perpetuatring the acceptability of casually playing the race card when there is no evidence that any exists. As I said, if you'd have said this 4 years ago, even without evidence, it would have still been more credible. To say 'we can't have a black president' when the fact is we've already had one for 4 years seems silly. If these people are doing this for racist reasons, why didn;t they do it 4 years ago? 'We can't have a black president' sounds like a more viable accusation when a black president is first elected. Today, what IS new is people who after 4 years feel Obama has done a lousy job and can't believe that he got rewarded with 4 more years. That hardly has anything to do with race.

Spider‐Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:25 AM   #33
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,450
Default Re: So...15 states want to leave the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
Yes, but you're just perpetuatring the acceptability of casually playing the race card when there is no evidence that any exists. As I said, if you'd have said this 4 years ago, even without evidence, it would have still been more credible. To say 'we can't have a black president' when the fact is we've already had one for 4 years seems silly. If these people are doing this for racist reasons, why didn;t they do it 4 years ago? 'We can't have a black president' sounds like a more viable accusation when a black president is first elected. Today, what IS new is people who after 4 years feel Obama has done a lousy job and can't believe that he got rewarded with 4 more years. That hardly has anything to do with race.
I Googled "racist anti-obama signs" and this was the first result. Take a look at the date.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I'm sure you'll dismiss it as an isolated incident but, I can tell you from personal experience. There are plenty of people who hate him just because he's black. How do I know? Because they've said things just like that sign reads while I was in their house.

Here's some more...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...s-woman-fired/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1200113

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1963583.html

Should I keep going? Seriously, just do some Google searching.


Last edited by Hotwire; 11-12-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #34
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: So...15 states want to leave the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I Googled "racist anti-obama signs" and this was the first result. Take a look at the date.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I'm sure you'll dismiss it as an isolated incident but, I can tell you from personal experience. There are plenty of people who hate him just because he's black. How do I know? Because they've said things just like that sign reads while I was in their house.

Here's some more...
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...s-woman-fired/

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1200113

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1963583.html

Should I keep going? Seriously, just do some Google searching.
I am not saying that there aren't people who don't like obama based on race. I can show plenty of google results with racist hate talk directed at whites by blacks. I could post some videos but the language won't allow it, but as you say just do some google searching. Yes, there are plenty of whites who hate blacks because they're black. There are plenty of blacks who hate whites because they're white.

But are you trying to say that EVERYONE who doesn't approve of Obama does so based on race and therefore using that as 'proof' that anyone who wants to secede wants to do so for racist reasons?

edit*: thought I'd show some people's oposition to Obama. DO you see race in any of these?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/why-i-refuse-to-vote-for-barack-obama/262861/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/20/the-best-case-against-the-obama-administration/

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/27/the_progressive_case_against_obama/

http://www.policymic.com/articles/3227/ndaa-barack-obama-s-war-against-the-american-people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TKCwSVH7Bw

Remember, when all you look at is race, all you see is racism.


Last edited by Spider‐Man; 11-12-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Spider‐Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #35
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,450
Default Re: So...15 states want to leave the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
I am not saying that there aren't people who don't like obama based on race. I can show plenty of google results with racist hate talk directed at whites by blacks. I could post some videos but the language won't allow it, but as you say just do some google searching. Yes, there are plenty of whites who hate blacks because they're black. There are plenty of blacks who hate whites because they're white.

But are you trying to say that EVERYONE who doesn't approve of Obama does so based on race and therefore using that as 'proof' that anyone who wants to secede wants to do so for racist reasons?

edit*: thought I'd show some people's oposition to Obama. DO you see race in any of these?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/09/why-i-refuse-to-vote-for-barack-obama/262861/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/20/the-best-case-against-the-obama-administration/

http://www.salon.com/2012/10/27/the_progressive_case_against_obama/

http://www.policymic.com/articles/3227/ndaa-barack-obama-s-war-against-the-american-people

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TKCwSVH7Bw

Remember, when all you look at is race, all you see is racism.
I'm not saying that everyone who voted against Obama is racist, just that to say it's not a factor is wrong.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #36
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: So...15 states want to leave the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I'm not saying that everyone who voted against Obama is racist, just that to say it's not a factor is wrong.

You were responding to my point that, with no proof, 100% of the people filing for petition to secede were automatically accused of doing so because they were racist. Your post seemed to be trying to defend that as a fact.

Spider‐Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #37
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14,726
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Secession obviously weakens the United States and would place a potential enemy/competitor right next to our borders.

So why is building support for secession not considered treason???

__________________
MR - Morlock Rule
MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #38
Spider‐Man
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 279
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Secession obviously weakens the United States and would place a potential enemy/competitor right next to our borders.

So why is building support for secession not considered treason???
I would say these petitions are more of a symbolic gesture than anything. Secession is obviously illegal as determined by Texas v. white.

I guess in this letigious society you can petition to sue anyone but to actually attempt to secede (which would be the illegal part) would take more than a few individually filed petitions.

Spider‐Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #39
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,450
Default Re: So...15 states want to leave the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
You were responding to my point that, with no proof, 100% of the people filing for petition to secede were automatically accused of doing so because they were racist. Your post seemed to be trying to defend that as a fact.
Okay. So, we better understand each other, now?

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #40
Dr. Evil
Gamora
 
Dr. Evil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 39,864
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

This isn't going to happen. It's nothing. I don't know why such a thread is necessary when it's not going to happen.

I am looking at this from an international standpoint, which if there is interest, I could go into full detail about.

__________________
My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10

Last edited by Dr. Evil; 11-12-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #41
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 13,136
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

This literally one of the most stupid things I've ever seen or read. Bunch of ****ing cry babies. If you don't like how the US is going politically, then take action to change it. Don't just vote and then throw a hissy fit because your guy lost. This is just one big stupid temper tantrum. I'd be interested to see the demographic of the people who started the petitions. I'd assume it's a group of angry old white people, but I could be wrong.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 PM   #42
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,825
Default Re: So...15 states want to leave the Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
Yes, but you're just perpetuatring the acceptability of casually playing the race card when there is no evidence that any exists. As I said, if you'd have said this 4 years ago, even without evidence, it would have still been more credible. To say 'we can't have a black president' when the fact is we've already had one for 4 years seems silly. If these people are doing this for racist reasons, why didn;t they do it 4 years ago? 'We can't have a black president' sounds like a more viable accusation when a black president is first elected. Today, what IS new is people who after 4 years feel Obama has done a lousy job and can't believe that he got rewarded with 4 more years. That hardly has anything to do with race.
Im not sure what you are getting at but my original post that you responded to was about someone i know saying he wanted a white president again. He wanted a white president four years ago also. He doesnt want a black president ever. It had nothing to do with other racists or a group. Just a comment i made about something i heard.

Now i can say that in my area the racists are still alive and in full swing. They havent stopped being racist after four years of having a black president. True racism is engrained deeper than that and it grows on ignorance so to expect it to disappear because of logic isnt well logical lol. These people ignore logic. Ive already heard some say it would be a shame to have a cuban american (Rubio) as president before another white man.

__________________
The Most Astounding Fact (Neil deGrasse Tyson, HD):
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


H.E.
Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #43
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,231
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Don't let the door hit your asses on the way out.

Doctor Evo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #44
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,450
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
Don't let the door hit your asses on the way out.
It's actually not that easy. Just think about some of the consequences. The massive influx of population to the surrounding states. Think of how many companies would be forced into the international market. The impact it would have on travel. We currently enjoy the ease of interstate travel. Throw a foreign country in the middle, and it suddenly gets a whole lot harder.

This whole thing just reminds me of some 5 year old kid who doesn't get his way and decides he's going to run away from home.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #45
Doctor Evo
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 2,231
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
It's actually not that easy. Just think about some of the consequences. The massive influx of population to the surrounding states. Think of how many companies would be forced into the international market. The impact it would have on travel. We currently enjoy the ease of interstate travel. Throw a foreign country in the middle, and it suddenly gets a whole lot harder.

This whole thing just reminds me of some 5 year old kid who doesn't get his way and decides he's going to run away from home.
And the award for, "Takes Facetious Post Too Seriously" goes to...

Obviously this isn't going to happen.

Doctor Evo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #46
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 13,136
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
It's actually not that easy. Just think about some of the consequences. The massive influx of population to the surrounding states. Think of how many companies would be forced into the international market. The impact it would have on travel. We currently enjoy the ease of interstate travel. Throw a foreign country in the middle, and it suddenly gets a whole lot harder.

This whole thing just reminds me of some 5 year old kid who doesn't get his way and decides he's going to run away from home.
This is EXACTLY what's going on. It's embarrassing.

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #47
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User
 
Nell2ThaIzzay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 16,635
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

So someone I go to school with says that its up to about 25 states now, including California. Is this true? I haven't seen anything.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #48
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh
 
Matt Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Mattcave
Posts: 13,136
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
So someone I go to school with says that its up to about 25 states now, including California. Is this true? I haven't seen anything.
Last count I saw was 18

http://www.examiner.com/article/mult...wn-governments

Matt Mortem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #49
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,825
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

It doesnt matter how many states its up to. Its unconstitutional and it flies in the face of democracy. Obama won the election. He got more of the popular vote and he won the EC. They can vote for someone else in four years. They are just pissed that the old white bigots have lost control of this country.

Marvolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #50
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,450
Default Re: Petitions Filed in 15 States to Leave the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Evo View Post
And the award for, "Takes Facetious Post Too Seriously" goes to...

Obviously this isn't going to happen.
You'll have to forgive me seeing as facetiousness doesn't have it's own font.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.