The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #226
Victarion
Cut

Default Re: In hindsight what changes would you do

If Nolan wanted to end the legend of the Batman: After Bruce is taken to the Pit, the damage to his back is severe enough to require surgery. The doctor performs the surgery; unfortunately his tools aren't that sterile. So after defeating Bane, Batman dies from an infection.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #227
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
If Nolan wanted to end the legend of the Batman: After Bruce is taken to the Pit, the damage to his back is severe enough to require surgery. The doctor performs the surgery; unfortunately his tools aren't that sterile. So after defeating Bane, Batman dies from an infection.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #228
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Talk of the studio interfering and/or Nolan never wanted to make a third Batman film baffles me to this day.
I'm not saying the studio did interfere (I mean just look at Avengers for a film that was definitely interfered with) I'm just saying I got the vibe that it did. I think Nolan definitely wanted the film to be longer not sure why but I just did especially considering the fact a 3 hour+ version was definitely made.

I also think the reason this film seemed more comic-booky was because of the studio. I was listening to a Kevin Smith Batman podcast with one of the animated series producers and they were talking about how even though the show was a mega massive hit it wasn't doing well with younger audiences so they wanted to change it up a bit. It made me think that could have been the case here. Even though TDK was a HUGE hit WB may have wanted Nolan to make it a little more kid friendly. I really think that even though it had a very bleak look to it and barely any jokes in TDKR the tone was definitely a lot lighter than TDK and had much more of a suspensio of disbelief element to it. And there were moments I never would have expected in a Nolan film "Get the president on the line" being the most obvious.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 11-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #229
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The running time really has nothing to do with Warner Brothers though, it's because of IMAX. The only thing that could really be interfered with is having a The Dark Knight Rises, Part 1 and 2, but that's probably something Nolan wouldn't even have wanted to do because of him always talking about a beginning, middle and end. Doubt he'd want a beginning, middle, first ending, second ending, lol.

Plus, I didn't find TDKR anymore kid friendly at all. I mean...getting ****ed up by Bane is something we rarely see in a film with the hero being royally beaten by the villain.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:44 PM   #230
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

As far as "get the President on the line" goes...Nolan is a Michael Bay fan. 'Nuff said.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #231
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Nolan is a Bay fan and a fan of MacGruber...quite shocking to hear, but I guess everyone needs some dumbed-down entertainment once in a while.

ALTHOUGH, I will say this...Nolan could be a fan of Bay because he does rely heavily on practical effects as much as he can, such as Nolan.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #232
JackWhite
Third Man

I just can't imagine Nolan trimming the film down from 3 plus hours to 2:45 minutes. That's a lot to trim down. I'll admit, I didn't expect for the film to be that big, and after two viewings it most certainly works; story-wise. But a 3 hour film at the least would have nailed a few plot/character points home. Most notably the Gotham POV and Bane's motivation, had they left in his origin scene during Talia's reveal.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #233
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Realism.

Free Original Music
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 PM   #234
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Yes it had ambition and everything but you always knew this was a comic book film which I wouldn't have minded after BB but TDK just rooted it so much in reality that this was too much of a step up.
DEFINITELY agree with this. I felt the whole Nuclear bomb ticking down thing was pretty cliche, especially with Bruce returning with (surprise surprise) a day left before it was to explode.

I also didn't like how unrealistic the Bat seemed. The Tumbler and Batpod were atleast somewhat plausible, but every time the Bat was onscreen I remembered I was watching a superhero movie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but works against the tension that the film is trying to build

That final scene with the bat flying through the air and evading missiles has to be one of my least favorite parts in the film. It just seemed to be that action scenes in the previous installments were atleast SOMEWHAT grounded. With this one it was like Nolan just said, " **** IT!"

Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #235
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Eh, I don't know...there are such things as heliplanes in the world. Cars that jump across rooftops, not so much.

Granted, I've been in love with the Bat since the first time I saw it, hence my user name lol. I never thought I'd get to see a Bat aerial vehicle in this series, so it surprised me too but in a good way.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 11-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #236
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAVELI25 View Post
DEFINITELY agree with this. I felt the whole Nuclear bomb ticking down thing was pretty cliche, especially with Bruce returning with (surprise surprise) a day left before it was to explode.

I also didn't like how unrealistic the Bat seemed. The Tumbler and Batpod were atleast somewhat plausible, but every time the Bat was onscreen I remembered I was watching a superhero movie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but works against the tension that the film is trying to build

That final scene with the bat flying through the air and evading missiles has to be one of my least favorite parts in the film. It just seemed to be that action scenes in the previous installments were atleast SOMEWHAT grounded. With this one it was like Nolan just said, " **** IT!"
I haven't always agreed with you, but I agree with every single word in this post. Very well said.

Free Original Music
Old 11-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #237
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:

Gotta agree. The final Bat/Truck chase has to be the least thrilling action scene in the trilogy IMO because it is SO comic-booky in comparison to everything else that has happened that it sucks you out the film. Great visually and to know a LOT was done practically but I haven't heard one person say "the film was great but the final action scene was AWESOME".

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #238
JackWhite
Third Man

The Bat looked the best at night for me. Batman getting away from the cops out of the alleyway, and from Bane with the Bat looked stellar. But the finale, while it looked stunning, was a little overwhelming. Hope I enjoy it more when I see it on Blu Ray.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 PM   #239
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

My favorite parts of the final battle were definitely Catwoman on the Bat-pod. That thing just maneuvered so beautifully in this film.

I dunno, I guess I just felt HUGE action packed third act was inevitable for this film, being the finale and all. Especially after TDK went for the more intimate third act after its second act carnage. There was no way around it, this series had to go out big.

What I will say is that I'm usually very fatigued from the film by the time it gets to that chase scene. That's where the film just unloads huge action beat after huge action beat. Watching those moments on their own is amazing, but I've yet to have that "wow!" reaction while actually sitting through the film because I'm honestly just battered by how dense and bleak the film is at that point.

But then...dat ending.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #240
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:

To each their own about The Bat(I liked it myself as it kept a very cluttered look as the Tumbler and Batpod and still looked fantastic, imo), but I don't find it that cliche with Bruce returning, because he did have two months to return. After watching TDKR again, I was mistaken in thinking Bruce left the prison after four months and having three weeks left until the "big day", but he left after three months and it gave Bruce two more months to return. It doesn't feel as cliche now, imo.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #241
JackWhite
Third Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
My favorite parts of the final battle were definitely Catwoman on the Bat-pod. That thing just maneuvered so beautifully in this film.

I dunno, I guess I just felt HUGE action packed third act was inevitable for this film, being the finale and all. Especially after TDK went for the more intimate third act after its second act carnage. There was no way around it, this series had to go out big.

What I will say is that I'm usually very fatigued from the film by the time it gets to that chase scene. That's where the film just unloads huge action beat after huge action beat. Watching those moments on their own is amazing, but I've yet to have that "wow!" reaction while actually sitting through the film because I'm honestly just battered by how dense and bleak the film is at that point.

But then...dat ending.
I was so exhausted after the final Batman/Bane confrontation. I was literally kicking in my seat when Batman got the upper hand on Bane.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #242
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserana View Post
Gotta agree. The final Bat/Truck chase has to be the least thrilling action scene in the trilogy IMO because it is SO comic-booky in comparison to everything else that has happened that it sucks you out the film. Great visually and to know a LOT was done practically but I haven't heard one person say "the film was great but the final action scene was AWESOME".
Seconded. It's a shame because Nolan is usually good at delivering great chase action scenes in these movies.

- The Joker
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #243
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Even if it were a great final action scene, I doubt it would have beaten the first Batman/Bane fight.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 PM   #244
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post

But then...dat ending.
The Batpod is one of the best parts of the film. From that scene of Batman's return to Catwoman maneuvering it during that finale, I was awestruck everytime it was onscreen. Just Gorgeous. A part of me is sad we'll never get to see it again

Old 11-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #245
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
The Batpod is one of the best parts of the film. From that scene of Batman's return to Catwoman maneuvering it during that finale, I was awestruck everytime it was onscreen. Just Gorgeous. A part of me is sad we'll never get to see it again
Wow. I never even thought of it until you put it that way.

Easily the most iconic Bat-bike ever, with a totally unique and original riding style. Good luck to whoever has to design the next one...

Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #246
JackWhite
Third Man

I remember before TDK came out and it got out that Batman was going to have a new vehicle - the Bat-pod; I was like "oh, well it looks alright". The moment it came roaring out of a soon to be destroyed Tumbler; it became my favorite Bat-vehicle. The way Batman's cape billowed in the wind, brilliant. And in TDKR it looked beyond cool during Batman's return scene, and not to mention how Catwoman maneuvered on it.

All hail the Bat-pod!

Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 PM   #247
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackWhite View Post
I remember before TDK came out and it got out that Batman was going to have a new vehicle - the Bat-pod; I was like "oh, well it looks alright". The moment it came roaring out of a soon to be destroyed Tumbler; it became my favorite Bat-vehicle. The way Batman's cape billowed in the wind, brilliant. And in TDKR it looked beyond cool during Batman's return scene, and not to mention how Catwoman maneuvered on it.

All hail the Bat-pod!
I had the exact same reaction. I was iffy on it before the film came out, but it totally floored me in actual flick.

Free Original Music
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #248
MAKAVELI25
Side-Kick

I was iffy on the Tumbler as well as the Batpod before I saw the movies, but now I think they will forever be the Bat vehicles ingrained in my mind. I don't really like or hate the Bat, I'm indifferent towards it. Though, to be honest, I never really liked the idea of Batman having a jet in the first place, it seems like something that was added on to sell toys to kids. But even with admitting my bias, I still don't think The Bat scenes in the movie were particularly well executed.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #249
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Seconded. It's a shame because Nolan is usually good at delivering great chase action scenes in these movies.
Now some people are just hating. That scene is fantastic.

--John Adams
Old 11-22-2012, 11:36 PM   #250
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Now some people are just hating. That scene is fantastic.
Speak for yourself. It was by far the least impressive and underwhelming of the of the trilogy.

- The Joker
Closed Thread