The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Hype RPG Games > Approval & General RPG Discussion

Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #1
Batman
Dramatic Example
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Cast an RPG!

Inspired by multiple conversations I've had with Syn, Byrd, and others, I thought this might be a fun exercise that can both get our brains working towards some creative discussion and give others a little sense of how each of us see the RPG's as they happen.

Basically, what you do is this. Pick an RPG that you've played in, past or present, and use actors or actresses to cast the characters within it. Pretend there's going to be a movie adaptation of a certain game, and you're the casting director. You don't have to adhere to actors who have played the roles previously to do it, either... just cast the roles with whoever you see fit. Who you cast and who you're casting are completely up to you - it doesn't have to be strictly your character, if you don't wish it to be.

It can be anything from lists of dream choices to the one role with the perfect actor you've always had in mind. Just have fun with it!

Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:03 PM   #2
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Default Re: Cast an RPG!

Interesting idea. I'm going to be intrigued to see who posts what.

I'll probably have one for OU up sometime soon.

Carnage27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #3
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

First casting suggestion will be for the first character I ever played in these RPGs: Bullseye in the "Heroes VS Villains" Marvel RPG. From the beginning, the voice I imagined Bullseye having, the actor I imagined playing him, was Walton Goggins, who played Shane Vendrell in The Shield.

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 08-11-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

As for The Joker in the "World of Heroes" DC RPG, if I was casting the role now I'd probably say someone different, with this guy likely being too old now to pull off the Clown Prince of Crime. But back at the time I first picked up The Joker, there was one actor above all others I really wanted to play The Joker in Nolan's series, an actor who I had viewed as a perfect fit for the part for several years: Tim Roth.

In that initial storyline I did with JRK leading up to Alfred's death, it was Tim Roth who I imagined playing my Joker.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

For the Parasite in "World of Heroes," the actor that I've always pictured for the role is Adam Baldwin. Even though Rudy was always a huge monster when I played him, having left his more human-looking form behind years ago, the way that Baldwin usually acts still fit the bill as being a big guy who comes across as a thug with moments of cold reflection.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!

Perfect casting!

Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

Galvatron's personality in the now-defunct Transformers RPG has always been based more on his more serious interpretation in modern comics that seemed patterned after his appearance in the movie, rather than the hilariously insane version that he became after the movie when Frank Welker assumed the role in Leonard Nimoy's place. So yeah, Leonard Nimoy:

Last edited by Spike_x1; 08-11-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Spike_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Catman_prb
Sad Clown

OU Jamie Madrox: a slightly younger version of Callum Blue.

It may or may not have also 'got real'.
Catman_prb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
twylight
twylobite

Gosh dang it.. I have to cast my bazillion Dinah's and Imra's.... *heads to IMDB*

twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Byrd Man
El Hombre Pájaro

My version of GA: Denis Leary
My version of Guy Gardner: Denis Leary
My version of Spider-Man: Denis Leary
My version of Superman: Denis Leary

Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
wiegeabo
Omniposcient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrd Man View Post
My version of GA: Denis Leary
My version of Guy Gardner: Denis Leary
My version of Spider-Man: Denis Leary
My version of Superman: Denis Leary
*orgasms at Denis Leary Spider-Man*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Here's a couple to start. I'll have more later.

WORLD OF HEROES: DC RPG

SUPERBOY: Sam Witwer. He doesn't quite have the build, but that's not a hard thing to obtain. I've enjoyed what I've seen of him in Smallville and The Force Unleashed.

ULTIMATE MARVEL RPG

SPIDER-WOMAN: Emma Roberts. She's something on an enigma. She either looks way too young or just right, but when she looks old enough, she's perfect for who I consider my "flagship" character, if you will.

GREEN GOBLIN: Jeremy Piven. As someone known for his comedic roles, I'd like to see him tackle a role like this. He's played an a**hole in Old School and Entourage, so he can do it. And it also doesn't hurt that he's ripped.

Eddie Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
Johnny Blaze
Freethinker

I always pictured Kensei as Toshiro Mifune. Which is kind of appropriate, I guess, considering he actually played Musashi Miyamoto in the classic Samurai trilogy from the 50s.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

ONE UNIVERSE RPG

SUPERMAN: Tom Welling. No surprises here. He seems younger than he is - because he's often playing younger roles (see Smallville and Cheaper by the Dozen), but at 32, he's the perfect fit for the Man of Steel.

SPIDER-MAN: Honestly? I can't picture an actor. No one feels right to me. What I picture is the Peter from Spectacular Spider-Man, voiced by Josh Keaton. He's perfect. Seriously, if you're a Spider-Man fan, and you haven't watched SSM, you're doing yourself a serious disservice.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #15
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

One Universe

Nightcrawler:Ryan Reynolds. He's a bit too old for where I have Kurt now, but I think Reynold's comedic timing, along with his ability to play the physically demanding roles, is perfect for Nightcrawler.

Supergirl: This is a toss up for me between two people. I thought Laura Vandervoort did a good job in Smallville, but I'd also give Yvonne Strahovski a shot as well.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #16
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
One Universe

Nightcrawler:Ryan Reynolds. He's a bit too old for where I have Kurt now, but I think Reynold's comedic timing, along with his ability to play the physically demanding roles, is perfect for Nightcrawler.

Supergirl: This is a toss up for me between two people. I thought Laura Vandervoort did a good job in Smallville, but I'd also give Yvonne Strahovski a shot as well.
As much as I love Yvonne...

Sorry. I was staring at my avatar. Where was I? Oh, yes. As much as I love Yvonne, I don't think she could play teenager. I'd buy her as Power Girl, though (even though I don't know what she would look like with short hair).

Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #17
Carnage27
Death of the Multiverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
Sorry. I was staring at my avatar. Where was I? Oh, yes. As much as I love Yvonne, I don't think she could play teenager. I'd buy her as Power Girl, though (even though I don't know what she would look like with short hair).
I can agree with that.

And holy crap, Tom Welling is 32? Damn I thought he was in his 20s.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage27 View Post
I can agree with that.

And holy crap, Tom Welling is 32? Damn I thought he was in his 20s.
Same here. That's why I almost didn't "cast" him. It's hard to realize how old Tom is because he's always playing younger. I wish I had been at Comic Con so I could have met him. Some day...

Anywho, Laura Vandervoort is an awesome Supergirl.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:41 PM   #19
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

If Welling were a better actor, I'd probably cast him as my Ultimate Superman, as well. Although he might have improved his acting skills since I stopped watching Smallville, so who knows, I might be happy if he were cast as Ult. Supes as he is now.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #20
Gallagher
Shaman of Sexy

That's weird, my Ultimate Crane always looked and acted like Sam Witwer in my head, so I steal EB's pick.

As for Doom and Deadpool - The guys that voiced them in Ultimate Alliance.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #21
Eddie Brock
Golden Domer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
That's weird, my Ultimate Crane always looked and acted like Sam Witwer in my head, so I steal EB's pick.

As for Doom and Deadpool - The guys that voiced them in Ultimate Alliance.
Bastard!

There are actually a few people I could see as Superboy. Jared Padalecki, for one (though I've never seen him with short hair). And - surprise, surprise - Tom Welling.

Old 08-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #22
Blacklight
Revamped and Renegade.

Seeing as how I only play one character....

WORLD OF HEROES: DC RPG

The Flash/Wally West: Neil Patrick Harris

Blacklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 04:11 AM   #23
SenseiofCheese
has been expecting you.

Not that it should come as a surprise to anyone who has been watching Supernatural for the past season, but my interpretation of Zauriel over in the Ultimate DC RPG is heavily influenced by the character Castiel, and I've always imagined him looking exactly like Misha Collins does one the show.

Then there's Ultimate Black Hand. In the Ultimate DC universe, and it's established Lantern Corps mythos, William Hand was the first human Green Lantern, hailed as the greatest of them all. After 25 years of service, he disappeared and came back and is currently wreaking havoc with a black power ring. In my head, although I think he lacks the presence I'd want for him, his face looks like Crispin Glover. The two pictures below are how I see his appearance changing from Green Lantern to Black Lantern.

SenseiofCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:11 AM   #24
Spike_x1
Get off my bandwagon!

I'm having surprising trouble thinking of the perfect actor for my Bruce Banner. Of course, the obvious choices of Edward Norton and Eric Bana are at the top of my list. Not just because they played Banner in their respective movies, but they have both proven to capture different aspects of Dr. Banner's character better than I could ask for. Norton had the fugitive-on-the-run aspect (and everything that that entails) down pat, but Bana had the psychological trauma in spades that was so obviously absent from Norton's movie. Plus Bana actually did scientisty things that established that he was an ubergenius, whereas the smartest thing that Norton did was set up a makeshift lab in his Brazilian home (admittedly, that probably took a lot of skill, but as far as what comic book geniuses can do, it wasn't too impressive), and he let "Mr. Blue" handle the research instead of coming up with it himself.

Also, in my mind's eye, Bana physically resembles comic book Bruce Banner more than Norton does. While I loved "The Incredible Hulk," and only liked "Hulk," I do think that the 2003 movie had the better cast who were unfortunately saddled with a movie where the Hulk was 20+ feet tall, we were bombarded with hilariously distracting editing, witnessed a number of eye-rolling Ang Lee concepts (he really likes fungi, doesn't he?), and got waaay too much emphasis on drama over action (a mistake shared by Superman Returns. Yes, they're dramatic characters, but they are also action heroes. That should come across in the movie with the right mixture of drama and action).

So yeah, I guess Eric Bana is my Bruce Banner:

Last edited by Spike_x1; 08-15-2009 at 06:14 AM.
Spike_x1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #25
Optikal
Professor Chaos

Denzel Washington has always been my pick for James Rhodes and he's in my head for my OU version.

Atrocitus is voiced by Michael Madsen

Apocalypse is voiced by James Earl Jones

Fury: Recoil.

-Secret Warriors #4
Optikal is offline   Reply With Quote