The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Upcoming Batman Solo Movie

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #326
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Default Re: The Batman Reboot Casting Thread - Part 4

I get that it makes sense to start young if you're planning for a long-term universe,

but Robert Downey Junior started Iron Man when he was like 42, and he's now 47.

Jon Hamm's only 41, and would probably love to get a leading role in a film franchise as big as this, given that he's never been a lead in a film, as far I know. He'd stick around. He's also one of the best actors on TV today, and could bring great emotional weight to Bruce.

C'mon

I also think makes more sense if you want to differentiate from the Nolan movies with a Batman who wasn't too young, and getting Robin in there as well.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #327
Rorschach2012
$

Out of anyone suggested he looks the most like Bruce for sure. I love the idea of an older Bruce I really hope he gets the role

Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #328
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

What is Bruce Wayne's age anyways? (assuming that Dick Grayson is in his early/mid twenties)

Was Stark in Iron Man considered to be an 'older Stark'?

Old 02-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #329
regwec
Shakespearo

I want the next Batman to be, first and foremost, an intellectual. I loved Bale' s performance, but it didn't convince me in this respect. Which actor can best reflect Batman's acute mental prowess?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #330
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Also, Batman, honestly, has pretty weird relationships with women. In a lot of ways very much like gay guys. He is with women to keep appearances, because he really doesn't care about them, for him it's all about the mission, and if the world didn't expect him to date women in all honesty I'm not sure he would.
Haha yeah that's so true even in the TDK movies you have several scenes where bruce is simply surrounding himself with women just to "keep up appearances". If Bruce Wayne existed in the real world he'd probably have a lot more gay rumors flung at him than accusations of being a superhero.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:11 PM   #331
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent are technically perpetually 30. The 52 reboot made them both early 20s.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #332
regwec
Shakespearo

Batman has been considered to be in his late 30's/early 40's for some time. Can't comment on the new 52, because that is when I gave up comics.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #333
terry78

Yeah, he has been aged up for a minute.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #334
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I know this isn't right with the New 52, but I like to think that Bruce is late 30s, Dick is mid-late 20s, Jason is mid 20s, Tim is 19-20, and Damian is 10

Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 PM   #335
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Just watching the animated The Dark Knight Returns an older batman is still pretty bad-assed.

We've already seen the twenty-something batman starting out in the last series. I think they need to go with an already experienced batman not a fresh face.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #336
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

I feel Karl Urban could play a good Batman. He did a great job in Star Trek and Dredd and between those two performances, I'd say he'd be a great Batman.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #337
terry78

He has kind of a weird face structure. Yes I am a nerd nitpicking like that.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #338
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
I feel Karl Urban could play a good Batman. He did a great job in Star Trek and Dredd and between those two performances, I'd say he'd be a great Batman.
Yeah, after what he did with Dredd and the level of commitment he brought to the part, I could see that.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Check out my new film:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/bipolar/id867778921

Old 02-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #339
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Karl Urban was awesome in Dredd. i really hope they make a sequel to that movie. seriously such an underrated film.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #340
regwec
Shakespearo

And Solomon Kane.

Er, yes. Karl Urban would be alright.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #341
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent are technically perpetually 30. The 52 reboot made them both early 20s.
luke evans is only 3-4 years older than cavill

Old 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #342
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
Not to mention all the pseudo hints and suggestions over the years that the whole Batman/Robin relationship has a very homoerotic overtone to it.
Actually my one worry would be someone overplaying that if a gay guy like Luke Evans or Bomer was cast. The thing that makes them especially good is they are gay but not effeminate, so they really don't smack of being gay (not that the stereotype has any meaning anyways).

I've always thought of Batman as sort of subtly gay, mostly because he really does suppress his urges. That's kind of central to his character. It's hard to picture someone undergoing his training with the singular minded-ness he has and developing much of a "normal" sexuality during this time. I mean, really until he returned to Gotham it's almost hard to believe he had any sex whatsoever. He certainly wasn't banging Master Kirgi, and I'm not sure he would've assumed that was of much importance. To him it's all about the mission and he doesn't have to have sex to eradicate crime. In fact all that is, is a distraction to him.

Batman isn't wired like the rest of us. I think this is an area where Nolan semi-dropped the ball. He made him more perpetually angry instead of deranged and subtly "off". I think that's central to the character.

One of my friends, we think he is gay, and he's not a stereotype, but you can just tell he doesn't "react" to women. It's a slight thing that's "off" about him. I like for that to be part of Batman. He's an incredible actor as Bruce Wayne, but you should always sense he's Batman. Like many say, most of Gotham's laypeople may spread all kinds of rumors about him because of this, but they won't necessarily make that Batman connection.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #343
regwec
Shakespearo

That's an interesting analysis, and I agree that Bruce should be sexually atypical. I don't consider there to be much evidence of homosexuality, however. My sense of it is that, inwardly, he is a child, and his sexual development has been impeded. I see this leading quite neatly to his attraction to dominant women like Catwoman. Bruce doesn't really know how to behave in conventional courtship situations, and the pretense must be a strain. He needs little persuasion to ditch the supermodel on his arm, because he needs a woman to strip away all the emotional ambiguity and uncertainty, and force her will on him.

I suppose what I am saying is that female sexuality is Batman's kryptonite.

Old 02-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #344
terry78

That was the one thing Keaton nailed in his Bruce Wayne. He was a billionaire but a little Howard Hughes-ish weird and kind almost autistic at times when dealing with people.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #345
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
That's an interesting analysis, and I agree that Bruce should be sexually atypical. I don't consider there to be much evidence of homosexuality, however. My sense of it is that, inwardly, he is a child, and his sexual development has been impeded. I see this leading quite neatly to his attraction to dominant women like Catwoman. Bruce doesn't really know how to behave in conventional courtship situations, and the pretense must be a strain. He needs little persuasion to ditch the supermodel on his arm, because he needs a woman to strip away all the emotional ambiguity and uncertainty, and force her will on him.

I suppose what I am saying is that female sexuality is Batman's kryptonite.
I very much agree with this, especially him being a perpetual child sexually.

I can't really see him wanting to honestly 'get to know' a woman.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #346
the last son
Side-Kick

Agree with regwec and Optimus Prime. Good stuff.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #347
Rorschach2012
$

If Batman were intended to be in his 40s in the new film, would anyone be opposed to Jon Hamm?

To me he looks like he stepped out of a Batman comic book. Exactly as Id imagine Bruce looking.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #348
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
If Batman were intended to be in his 40s in the new film, would anyone be opposed to Jon Hamm?

To me he looks like he stepped out of a Batman comic book. Exactly as Id imagine Bruce looking.
HELL NO! in fact, Jon Hamm has always been my #1 pick if WB wants to go for an older & more experienced Batman

Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 AM   #349
Project862006
Banned User

josh brolin feels more like batman than hamm if we go older route

Old 02-03-2013, 04:27 AM   #350
Bigjxxx
Side-Kick

The actor who should play Batman should someone we don't know or isn't in the radar. I prefer a Batman in his early 20's around 20-23. With such a casting he needed a strong supporting cast like Jennifer Lawernce or a Julie Styles.

Closed Thread