The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: Star Wars VII Director? - Part 1

I hated Yates' direction on the HP movies. Awful.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #27
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I'm not really sure he has a distinct style. I guess if you've seen his other flicks you can tell, but it just felt like he more or less just translated the books to live action.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

His grasp on pacing was horrible - all of his films seemed hurried and rushed through opposed to the previous films. And not at all in a script-based way, but rather the editing and in-scene pacing was pointlessly hurried. It got slightly better when they split Deathly Hallows into two movies, but you could still kind of tell they weren't being paced properly.

All of his films displayed an utter inability to convey dramatic or emotional moments. After the pretty emotionally-charged ending of GOF (a movie that was directed properly), Yates could never recapture anything close to that level of emotionality and dramatism in his films.

All of his movies were extremely...dry. This is probably what you meant by not having a style. Whereas Cuaron interjected a phenomenal amount of whimsical style into his movie, and GOF was consistently emotionally charged - between every scene and every line - Yates' films lacked all of that imbibing of creativity or uniqueness. Instead, between every line in his films there was nothing more than the dry, flat nothingness of a book being put to screen. I think that's even worse than lacking style, that's the art of making a dead, lifeless film. Which I would say is pretty much the worst thing you could do as a skilled director.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:48 AM   #29
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yates is on Tarzan. Moot point speculating him for Episode VII.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:42 PM   #30
Airwings
Waves of air

CCon: Discussing Yates' Potter films is off-topic, but I have to say the last films lacked some distinctive style. I can't understand one they let one director make FOUR films in a row. OOTP was a disappointment after the strong POF and GOF. The only Yates directed Potter film that can compete with these two is HBP, but it's no more than the third best in the series.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #31
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I hated Yates' direction on the HP movies. Awful.

I felt Yates best directing job on the HP films was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1.

I felt that film should have been nominated for Best Picture and Yates as Best Director.

Love the suspense, drama, action and overall emotion and tone of that film.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #32
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Absolutely nothing happened in the movie. Half of the movie was nothing more than the kids camping and arguing with each other. Terrible.

I liked Part 2 just fine, but, again, Yates made pretty much every single dramatic moment in the film sizzle out when it should've exploded.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #33
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
His grasp on pacing was horrible - all of his films seemed hurried and rushed through opposed to the previous films. And not at all in a script-based way, but rather the editing and in-scene pacing was pointlessly hurried. It got slightly better when they split Deathly Hallows into two movies, but you could still kind of tell they weren't being paced properly.

All of his films displayed an utter inability to convey dramatic or emotional moments. After the pretty emotionally-charged ending of GOF (a movie that was directed properly), Yates could never recapture anything close to that level of emotionality and dramatism in his films.

All of his movies were extremely...dry. This is probably what you meant by not having a style. Whereas Cuaron interjected a phenomenal amount of whimsical style into his movie, and GOF was consistently emotionally charged - between every scene and every line - Yates' films lacked all of that imbibing of creativity or uniqueness. Instead, between every line in his films there was nothing more than the dry, flat nothingness of a book being put to; screen. I think that's even worse than lacking style, that's the art of making a dead, lifeless film. Which I would say is pretty much the worst thing you could do as a skilled director.
While I have grown less fond of Yates and his Harry Potter films, I am torn in regards to GOF. After following the production, reading about the production, and interviews with Heyman its pretty clear Newell nearly ruined many aspects and did make some weird directorial choices.

The adaption was good for the most part, and Harry fawning over Cho was great. That is the best relationships were represented in the films. Following Cuaron he had a lot to live up to, and in most areas he left something to be desired. The cinematography was bland. The pace was all over the place. Film rushed after the first task. Jumping months inbetween scenes. Characterization was a mess, and in some places down right wrong hmm hmm Dumbledore I'm looking at you. Camera work was standard fare for the most part. Humor was cheesy. Heck, the majority of the movie was cheesy. Barty Crouch Sr.'s casting speaks for itself. The last scene of the movie was entirely misdirected with the emotions being polar opposite to what they should have been.

Newell's problem started with his first ideas about the world. He told Heyman he wanted to make it like a Bollywood film, his words not mine, and there was the first red flag. Heyman himself was worried at hearing that, but Newell managed to convince him it would work. I don't think it did. He envisioned Dumbledore similar to his boarding school headmaster. We all saw how that turned out. He came very close to doing away with Voldemort's snake like visage. He refused to let them remove Fiennes's nose with prostetics cause it would mess up his acting. He even refused to try computer removal. Heyman and him went at it on multiple occassions. Heyman wasn't having it. He knew it was an important part of Voldemort's character and would have been a blatant deviation from the book. He also felt the fans would riot. Finally, after multiple arguments he got Newell to approve a test run with the CGI. Upon seeing the process he approved it. Had it not been for Heyman caring so much and standing up to him Newell would have ruined Voldemort's look. Thank god someone fought back. Luckily what he got wrong Heyman and others tried to correct.

Oddly enough, GOF I had the most problem with, but it and POA are the ones I find myself wanting to come back to. I loved Yates films until recently. I guess the shiny sheen has worn off and I see the problems. You are absolutely right about emotion. It doesn't read right in his films. Especially with Harry. Sometimes Harry has this entirely dead look on his face. Some of this is due to Radcliffe being drunk on set which he admitted to after DH2 came out. He also stripped the world entirely of its magical feel. Looking back I feel Deathly Hallows was mishandled imo. HBP I still like. OOTP suffered in editing significantly. POA is the one that has always held up well imo. GOF while full of problems is head and shoulders above Yate's films. The first two I try not to judge too harshly.

H.E.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I pretty much agree. The thing I most compliment GOF for was how dramatic it's ending was. It was honestly the only Harry Potter movie that really felt like some serious **** had gone down by the end of it.

Direction-wise, no, it wasn't at all close to POA - and I'd never argue it to be - but, creative miscues aside, I think Newell showed more talent than Yates, as you said.

As for Columbus' movies...they're totally different animals all together. I feel like it would be more fair to compare them to something like Jumanji or Matilda over any of the other HP movies.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #35
Marvolo
Side-Kick

Quote:
I pretty much agree. The thing I most compliment GOF for was how dramatic it's ending was. It was honestly the only Harry Potter movie that really felt like some serious **** had gone down by the end of it.

Direction-wise, no, it wasn't at all close to POA - and I'd never argue it to be - but, creative miscues aside, I think Newell showed more talent than Yates, as you said.

As for Columbus' movies...they're totally different animals all together. I feel like it would be more fair to compare them to something like Jumanji or Matilda over any of the other HP movies.
Agreed, about the ending of GOF. It has an intensity that isn't present in the other films. Fienne's was camping it up, but that was the best portrayal of Voldemort in all the films imo. Fiennes was chewing the scenery. He was creepy and intimidating. He seemed like a ghoulish figure. The whole scene is top notch, and then there is the aftermath at the stadium when Mr. Diggory realizes his son is dead. That scene had more emotion than Yate's films combined.

H.E.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #36
HowardStark
Banned User

Mike Newell is good but he also made Prince Of Persia which was a good movie its just missed with the audience appeal.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #37
ThePhantasm
Feedin' the Wampa

SHH reports Brad Bird is out.

I wonder if any directors will want to touch Star Wars? There's such a huge risk of being hated by so many fans everywhere. . .

Countdown to Mysterious Heroism | H.E.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #38
Mrs. Sawyer
I wear the pants.

I feel as though GOF Along with the first two were the weakest Harry Potter movies. Not bad, but I feel as though Cuaron and Yates did great in the directors seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Mrs. Sawyer will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:10 PM   #39
Solidus
Kylo Ren

Damn, I was hoping Bird would do it. I don't think they are "afraid" to do it, risk has two sides. And they may be afraid that they will only do Star Wars or be remembered by the main public just for those films as well.

I'm hoping by Thanksgiving they announce it.

"If you donít care about the characters, nothing matters. No space ship, no explosion, no anything is important if you donít feel something for the people involved."J.J. Abrams (2/5/13)
Old 11-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #40
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #41
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

Quote:
Absolutely nothing happened in the movie. Half of the movie was nothing more than the kids camping and arguing with each other. Terrible.
Hey, that's not true. This was my entry point into the series and I'm pretty sure something happened. I think Tim Burton's wife did something horrible and sexy to a girl offscreen and some Nazis showed up. They where really going for the Oscar on this one.

Bird is out, they say? I thought he was practically a shoe-in. I wish it was Blomkamp, but my disapointment prevention protocols don't let me get my hopes up. One thing's for sure, this movie's burning throught our top choices like...something that burns through things really fast. At this point I expect the actually choice announcement to be followed by "who?" Perhaps that's for the best.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #42
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I hope Brad Bird is just lying to throw people off the scent or something, some really good directors are passing this up if all of them are telling the truth.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 PM   #43
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

It's as if a million screams cried out across the internet... and then were silent.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #44
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I hope Brad Bird is just lying to throw people off the scent or something, some really good directors are passing this up if all of them are telling the truth.
They pretty much have gotten through all the big names. I'm telling you I think it's this Trevorrow guy. Or there is someone or people we haven't even heard from yet. Disney could have been searching since Arndt was writing the treatment and that is why we don't really know who it could be.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #45
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
They pretty much have gotten through all the big names. I'm telling you I think it's this Trevorrow guy. Or there is someone or people we haven't even heard from yet. Disney could have been searching since Arndt was writing the treatment and that is why we don't really know who it could be.
I'd rather roll the dice with Nolan or Fincher than go with a guy that has zero pedigree at the top level.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:06 PM   #46
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, Bird is really going outta his way to deny any and everything. To the point it seems suspicious.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #47
HowardStark
Banned User

I think Gore will end up getting it because The Pirates movies was such a big thing after 1 and while they were less. The Pirates movies all 3 had good direction and were entertaining films. Gore Verbinski I think would be best choice if disney wanted to choose likely.
But many Star Wars fans likely want someone more that seemed to fit The Star Wars genre
In a perfect world Peter Jackson would be a dream sign on but we know he is only in Hobbit mode now.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:31 PM   #48
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Gore was my first logical choice from the beginning.

But I have to wonder, maybe they have someone completely unexpected in mind still.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 PM   #49
HowardStark
Banned User

No one has even mentioned Kenneth Branagh the guy who directed Thor 1 which was a good movie.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #50
paladinryan
Clumsy as he is stupid

I'm sorry for Bird, but honestly he's only done one live action film. Same reason I don't think the Colin guy should get it.

I bet it will be Fincher, Nolan, or Verbinski. Probably Fincher, since Kennedy worked with him before and he already has a relationship with Disney. Plus, he's just got a better resume than Verb (and hasn't relied on Johnny Depp to make his way).

I don't think this is a matter of directors turning down SW. I'm pretty sure they're going to get the man they want.

Closed Thread