View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #376
Brian Braddock
R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Default Re: Wonder Woman Thread Reborn! - Part 9

If they adopted the Nolan approach, would Diana have superhuman strength? flight? Would the gods be real or fictitious superstition?

Old 12-12-2012, 02:37 PM   #377
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

That's the thing right there. You have to take into account that WW's origins and universe is even more fantastical than Superman's, who is just an alien.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #378
Blackman
King Kong

By the Nolan approach I want it to be more like TDK in terms of look and feel of the film

Old 12-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #379
J'adore
Vous

Nolan approach should be for Nolanverse movies. Not a Wonder Woman movie.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #380
Airwings
Waves of air

"Nolan approach" doesn't mean Nolan Batman style, but to go far into a character's depth and adapt the superhero(-ine) with the same respect as Nolan has for Bats, and to have an amazing cast in both the leads and the supporting roles.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #381
terry78
Smiling is for sellouts

^In other words, good filmmaking. Not Nolan approach. I was not aware Nolan had trademarked this.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #382
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwings View Post
"Nolan approach" doesn't mean Nolan Batman style, but to go far into a character's depth and adapt the superhero(-ine) with the same respect as Nolan has for Bats, and to have an amazing cast in both the leads and the supporting roles.
That would be the Donner approach.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #383
Airwings
Waves of air

terry78: But also to do things with the character no-one has done before, to go as far as possible with the character in his/her own "world", to take the whole project very seriously. That's more than just "good filmmaking", it's "great filmmaking"

Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #384
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

There's a couple things that make Nolan's approach stand out to me from other superhero films and other films in general:

1) Real world precedence for story points.
From ancient ninja monasteries to cell phones programmed to use echolocation, a *lot* of the gravitas of the TDK trilogy comes from the real worldishness. This is not necessarily a lack of powers, as some believe, but in connecting everything to the real world in a palpable way, and then letting go of everything that doesn't directly fit with that. No "Batmobile," no "Robin," no Sherlock Holmes deductive powers, no mastery of all martial arts... it even takes him his whole career to get stuff that he had from day 1 in the comics.

I think for a WW film, this would mean a lot more connection to the ancient Greek myth, and the things commonly known about those concepts and places and how they might interact today. Much more of a Percy Jackson experience than a Spider-Man experience. Speaking of:

2) Changing Genres.
BB is barely a superhero film, TDK is much more a crime drama/thriller than anything. I think it strengthens the identity of the film, and compounds with the 'realness' factor, and makes the film seem fresher since it's not just like every other superhero film. I think MOS is doing this too, as there are a lot of Alien Invasion disaster shots in the trailer, movies we see and like and 'get' on a natural level, but now with superhero bits thrown in.

I think a Nolan-ish Wonder Woman would be much more reminiscent of Clash of the Titans and Immortals than Thor or Captain America. I personally could care less for all the gods and such, unless there were a clever way to do it (and there is).

3) Exceptional Quality.
This is rare in superhero films. No one ever really accused the TDK trilogy of playing it safe or derivative like they have the MCU. No one ever talked about an MCU film for Oscars (except SFX). Further, as we discussed earlier, these films are pretty much all-star casts from top to bottom. The leads are accomplished and real craftsman as actors, the directors are established and at the top of their game, with free reign and autonomy, and the supporting cast is chocked to the brim of Academy winners and nominees.

I think a Nolan Wonder Woman would leave behind fan-picks like Lucy Lawless, Lynda Carter for Academy Award nominees, and find a lead who is an swiftly up and coming superstar, as opposed to someone whom would be 'made' by Wonder Woman like Regan or Daddario. I think the challenge would be to find a Nolan for WW. Finding people who want to take a crack at Superman or Batman is pretty easy. Not as many people lined up for Diana. Most people see her as a costume, but don't think of her as representing anything, except perhaps, their sexual fantasies.

4) Really Big Theming.
It takes a lot to earn that "no the hero that Gotham needs, but the one we deserve..." type of pontification. The TDK trilogy kind of did earn it. It never seemed cheesy to be "not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" and all that. In fact, the allegories to shadow organizations and their methodologies (and histories), belief systems and nature of causality, fear and power's role in financial crises... when the bad guy gave a speech, it was never just to show how bad they were, they really were expounding on what the film was about.

A WW film would have to find a theme worthy of exploring on that level. Truth. Love. Something like that.

Singer's approach is to darken things up, and streamline some stuff out, but he keys in on the melodrama and he finds the one or two things in the Universe he likes and plays that up to the max. Not really the same as what Nolan did when it comes to the building blocks of the Universe or the character development.

Donner certainly gave a majestic approach and big theming, but it was a different era, "before they invented science" as Joss Whedon might say. No need for all that realishness.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 12-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #385
Joeyjojo72
Side-Kick

Nolan has an abysmal record with female characters. Despite his great accomplishments, hes the last big-name director that should be doing a WW movie. His focus is on the world of men. the women tend to be glorified props. (Selena is the exception that proves the rule, as Hathaway's commitment to the role elevated the meh dialogue and predictable character arc. Plus she looked ridiculously good in that outfit)

And I'm fairly certain he would have absolutely no interest in this project anyway so this doesnt even qualify as speculation. Never gonna happen.

Last edited by Joeyjojo72; 12-12-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #386
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

I'm more for the Synder AND Nolan approach for the future of things

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #387
Airwings
Waves of air

Thanks for a great post, Dr Cosmic!

Now we can discuss which heroes that require a Nolan aproach, which that require a Singer approach, and which that require a Donner aproach.

Dr Cosmic, can you try to explain the core of a Burton approach as well, in the same terrific way?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #388
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Wow, thanks man! I don't know if I can do that with Burton anytime soon, I don't watch many of his movies, and I can barely remember Returns, much less '89. The only thing I can think of now is a dark palette, a consistent almost playful use of death, and in that backdrop an unapologetic whimsy which removes all the grit but leaves the depth. There's a reason 89 isn't really an origin story, because it's a fantasy world as much as Alice in Wonderland, no explanations necessary.

A WW movie in that vein would be... dark on pretty much every level. Hades and Tartarus would almost certainly play a role, and even be the big third act thing. Certainly Diana would not be above killing, and the Amazons as a whole would be pretty intense and ostentatious. Would be interesting.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #389
fanboiii
disciple of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
That would be the Donner approach.
Nolan's approach is built off of Donner's approach.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #390
J'adore
Vous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjojo72 View Post
Nolan has an abysmal record with female characters. Despite his great accomplishments, hes the last big-name director that should be doing a WW movie. His focus is on the world of men. the women tend to be glorified props. (Selena is the exception that proves the rule, as Hathaway's commitment to the role elevated the meh dialogue and predictable character arc. Plus she looked ridiculously good in that outfit)

And I'm fairly certain he would have absolutely no interest in this project anyway so this doesnt even qualify as speculation. Never gonna happen.
This ^

Nolan is great at being a filmmaker but awful at writing/developing/creating female characters. The Batman trilogy wasn't the type of film I would want for
Wonder Woman. I'd want something more bold and epic and less subliminal messaging. Something that enriched the audience but also didn't make them want to commit suicide.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #391
KingMadness
Side-Kick

Nolan is not God.

Other directors can get the job done. I wouldn't mind Refn for Wonder Woman.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #392
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

I love what Nolan did for Batman, how he shone light on his the character's true potential, understanding his core. He brought out all that makes Batman a great hero.

I see them doing this with MOS. The trailer already speaks that it's going to delve into what makes Supes the hero he is and will unleash all the best and important things about him.

I would want Nolan to do this for Wonder Woman as well, as I feel at this stage in the character's career, it's extremely important.
Nolan may not have the best track record at writing women, but something tells me Wonder Woman would be a different story...

I believe in Batfleck

Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #393
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Nah. Good thing Nolan's has nothing to do with a WW movie.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #394
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

And I'm forgetting, according to Synder, he barely understood Superman when in discussions...

And Maj...those avatars are bloody annoying, but I love them lol

I believe in Batfleck

Old 12-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #395
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah, I wouldn't want Christopher Nolan himself involved, and in truth, I really wouldn't want the full Nolan approach when it comes to turning WW into a modern version of a classical Greek myth, I'd want something more superheroey, something the included more of WW's mythos.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #396
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

A Nolanized WW isn't something I want either. Even the premise of that new show sounds exactly that, and we're already biting our nails over it.

As bad as the Green Lantern movie was written, it stuck close to the comics lore and visual wise, didn't try to Nolanize anything...

Have they Nolanized Superman as some are claiming? I honestly don't believe that. MOS may be taken Nolan's realistic sense of storytelling, but everything else seems very comicy, Synder style. It has NOT been Nolanized. Nothing's been diluted to suit his tastes, it's not his movie.

All I ask in the future of DC is that they take Nolan's seriousness to the project. Give us Wonder Woman and all the Gods, Titans, you name it. Make it as stylized as you want like Synder...JUST TAKE IT SERIOUSLY!!!

I believe in Batfleck

Old 12-13-2012, 01:04 AM   #397
Edguy
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
I love what Nolan did for Batman, how he shone light on his the character's true potential, understanding his core. He brought out all that makes Batman a great hero.
Really?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #398
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

I'm stifling my laughter as well.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #399
Rodrigo90
Boy Wonder

OK, I'll admit. Nolan didn't unlock all of Batman's potential...it was hindered just to end the trilogy.

But what he showed through Begins and TDK was the best of Batman's admirable traits that's been throughout the years, that we don't always see in every issue. I may be missing the point, but I respect Nolan for doing that. It wasn't just about Batman suiting up and taking on the villain. The story and character had far more depth than anything previous...even though the characterization of Batman wasn't exactly like the comics, I still appreciated what I saw.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #400
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I think MOS is pretty Nolanized. It's big in theme, all star casting, and they are apparently pruning off some of the odd Kryptonian stuff for easily recognizable Sci-Fi. Papa Kent is now unsure of himself instead of the paragon of virtue. I really don't think the Nolan approach means a lack of powers. It's really weird that people think Nolan would take away powers from other heroes if he was involved with them, especially since he's involved with MOS and MOS still has his powers. Wouldn't it be natural to conclude that Batman is the reason why Batman didn't have powers instead of Nolan?

But I digress. For Wonder Woman I'd want someone like Brad Bird, who not only knows his Hollywood, but is fast making a powerful name for himself, and on top of that actually knows how to make female characters shine. Mrs. Incredible/Elastigirl was a revelation, even compared to female supers who've been published for 40+ years. Even Paula Patton from Ghost Protocol was a full fledged action heroine... and that was a Tom Cruise movie! That's the kind of director I'd like to see at the helm.

Closed Thread