The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 01-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #626
elizah72
Side-Kick

Default Re: Plot ideas based on SPOILERS (general discussion)

it could be as simple as a reference to him like Erik referenced Banner in Thor 1.

another idea that occurred to me, if Strange were in it, if they do Dr. Strange film in a 2016 (still 3 years away), then that is likely to be a creation/how he got to be this way, story (also what the IMDB listing currently says), and so he is unlikely to appear as the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth in Thor 2 anyway....he's just going to be a normal human. But from his bio I've read about him, before he was Sorcerer Supreme, he was a doctor that was in a car accident that damaged his hands so he could not longer perform surgery.
SO what if, his appearance in Thor 2 is that he is a surgeon in London during the Dark Elves attack and he is injured then? Maybe even witness to Malekith using magic and becomes interested in the mystic arts as a result of that, perhaps as a way to try to cure his injury? that would set him up well for the movie a few years down the road if he's been dealing with this injury for a while. And it would not take too much away from Thor being a Thor movie, as I fear some of your other suggestions would, while at the same time giving a very useful lead in to the Dr. Strange movie. It would only be a scene or two cameo thing.

elizah72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #627
elizah72
Side-Kick

This idea would also show the very human toll that has been taken from Thor and the other realms fighting coming to Midgard... put a human face on the devastation and not just people running and screaming and never seeing them again.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #628
LokiDionysos
Eternal

See that's what has me wondering.

I think something like that could work, and I've heard there will be a Strange reference of some sort.

But it has to be done in a way where it can still apply how ever many years down the road.

If it were setting it up for right around the time of Ant Man or Avengers 2 it'd prob be fine. There's just no guarantee on the movie being made on schedule like the others. Of course they'll prioritize it more than other projects like Inhumans (which is definitely a thing they want to develop). Still there's others like Black Panther that need to be worked towards too.

Which means we prob can't see Strange himself. It's too far away.
They could show him as a doctor and work towards it but that might lead to a recast unless there's a big plan for Strange in the works already.

Something like Ant Man where the date is now loosely planned, test reels being done, they may be able to cast a character from. If you look at Black Widow we never knew her before IM2 and then there was a long gap before we see her again in Avengers.

So, I guess it can be done. The problem is doing it right so that the payoff is as big as it was for Widow in Avengers. It has to be the right character to fit the overall story and also fit within the individual story (something Widow fell short on in IM2). If Strange's mention in this film was something major it would have to be for setting up something bigger with Strange, possibly bigger than an origin movie. Or they have to have plans pretty firmly set for Dr. Strange's movie. I came up with my scenario as a way to try to figure out how the writers might create wiggle room to introduce him. Introduce the idea of the sorcerer supreme but not the man currently holding the title.

There'd have to be a big plan for him already if he shows up.
So that it actually warrants Strange's inclusion.

If the references are anything major, then there's too much buildup too quickly unless planned well ahead of time.
That's why I kind of came up with that one scenario, based on what I think some of the themes in this movie will be. The magician character, or whichever character, could basically just say the words and that could be it, referring to the current Sorcerer Supreme, (Strange's mentor) who supposedly lives in the far east. Some character has some awareness of the title, and it introduces us to the idea that Strange will be around eventually.

For example, pretend Szostak is Wasp, take into account that Whedon wanted to use Wasp in Avengers. Plus what he managed to do with Widow in that movie. Now fast-forward... Avengers 2 & AntMan's origin movie are about to come out. AntMan is quite possibly added during Avengers 2.

The payoff for her being Wasp is much, much bigger in this scenario than Strange showing up in any film prior to phase 3 or the end of phase 2. Which can almost logically tell you which rumor is true. Wasp being in IM3 serves a bigger purpose and has a bigger payoff, they don't really benefit that much from introducing Strange at this point. We wouldn't be able to see him in action in Avengers 2, whereas we could see Ant Man and Wasp added between movies like Widow and Hawkeye; then actually get an origin movie right after Avengers 2 that can pick up explaining their powers from where Avengers 2 leaves off.
Strange is further down the pike. He's not really an Avenger so I even think Vision, Black Panther and Miss marvel may join the team before he finally appears in the same movie as anyone. We would continue to hear about him in references or something until the end (a big part of this train of thought is that they once said they wanted Dr. Strange mainly as its own thing).

Simply based on which one has a greater payoff in the end.
Yes, they may try to set up Strange in some way with Thor 2, but I think it could even be another easter egg.
Ultimately it's not that much longer between then and when we could expect Dr. Strange, but things might get in the way of the Dr.Strange movie.

Safer to set up a reference.
Maybe it's taken completely out of context and all we get is a reference to a doctor named Stephen Strange. Not even seeing him or any other connections.

You don't really need to set up a Dr. Strange movie, so this would mainly be for the fans and just to get him in the door a little more.

Unless Strange was gonna play a major role in Avengers 2 or be first up after that, they really don't need his presence.

Although again, I'm faced with the problem that I've personally been told there's a Strange reference.

The title of Sorcerer Supreme changes over to Strange in his movie/origin.

That's why I think it might be enough to have one of the characters (don't know who for sure) make some sort of reference to the current sorcerer supreme, who isn't Strange at this point.

Last edited by LokiDionysos; 01-05-2013 at 04:02 PM.
LokiDionysos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #629
elizah72
Side-Kick

As I recall, Feige maybe, was very enthusiastic about doing a Dr. Strange movie, so I think there will be one for sure. As for casting, or recasting later, we had a different Bruce Banner from Incredible Hulk and Avengers, and yet that movie still ties in, so they could simply recast. And if the guy is terribly injured and has been suffering and it's 3 years later, I'm going to excuse if he looks a bit older and more ragged then he did in Thor 2, if he appears.

Also, they could simply show a doctor, leave the hospital or whatever, run into Thor and Malekith fighting and show him get injured and never name him. It would be an implied Easter egg that he's Dr. Strange. They may have already cast him for the film too but are managing to keep it secret. But seeing as we've got 2 different Banners and two different Fandrals too, I don't have a problem with them recasting if they need to.

I think you are racing to the Strange movies too quickly though his story has yet to be told in MCU and he may not even get to be Sorcerer Supreme until Dr. Strange 3 or something 10 years or more from now! Pace yourself! This cameo I'm suggesting might happen, would amount to Hawkeye showing up in Thor 1, a cameo, setting up the character, but not really effecting the current story being told (though it could have had he shot him with that arrow! lol)... and not necessarily as a big deal in A2. In Incedible Hulk we had Sterns/Leader set up and this is years later and he's yet to be used as a full on villain in MCU, maybe he'll be used in A2, but maybe not. But he's out there... plotting.

Last edited by elizah72; 01-05-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #630
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokiDionysos View Post
Practically the only thing Malekith is known for is his connection to Surtur/twilight. I think Malekith can be a good villain, but I 100% believe he's mainly a red herring here or secretly operating this character on Earth.... . . everything else going on Malekith won't actually be in much of the movie... just one big gear in the machine.
In the book, Malekith so far has functioned as a proxy for Surtur. Surtur freed him from the black void so that he could retrieve and open the Casket of Ancient Winters. This would allow Surtur to break the seal on Muspelheim, allowing him to attack Asgard.

(I haven't gotten to the part about Kurse, so I don't know yet the other ways Malekith functions in the story.)

So if they are doing Surtur's saga, then it would be obvious to have Malekith again function as a proxy. If they are not going to use Surtur, then Malekith could be a proxy for someone else (such as The Other). Or he could be pursuing his own ends as a stand-alone villain (like in the book for which Elizah posted the link.)

<Dr. Strange reference>
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizah72 View Post
it could be as simple as a reference to him like Erik referenced Banner in Thor 1.
That's what I was thinking.

Quote:
another idea that occurred to me, if Strange were in it, .. .before he was Sorcerer Supreme, he was a doctor that was in a car accident that damaged his hands so he could not longer perform surgery.
Well, my understanding is the injury set him on the road to, shall we say, alternative medicine. Eventually he goes and studies magic, and sometime later becomes Sorcerer Supreme.

(Heaven help me; I'm coming up to speed on Dr. Strange)

Quote:
SO what if, his appearance in Thor 2 is that he is a surgeon in London during the Dark Elves attack and he is injured then? Maybe even witness to Malekith using magic and becomes interested in the mystic arts as a result of that, perhaps as a way to try to cure his injury? that would set him up well for the movie a few years down the road if he's been dealing with this injury for a while. And it would not take too much away from Thor being a Thor movie, as I fear some of your other suggestions would, while at the same time giving a very useful lead in to the Dr. Strange movie. It would only be a scene or two cameo thing.
This idea also works. I had the same concern that you guys discussed, that they may not have yet cast the part. But as Elizah says,
Quote:
As for casting, or recasting later, we had a different Bruce Banner from Incredible Hulk and Avengers, and yet that movie still ties in, so they could simply recast.
Quote:
This idea would also show the very human toll that has been taken from Thor and the other realms fighting coming to Midgard... put a human face on the devastation and not just people running and screaming and never seeing them again.
I agree; this would enhance the movie. And I think that's one of the the themes they want to work in in Phase 2.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
American Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #631
elizah72
Side-Kick

and who the heck knows where the casket of ancient winters is now? It may end up in someone's hands to work into Surtur's plans as it did in the comics, or it may not even be used again, seeing as there are other very interesting items in Odin's vault that have yet to be used.

The Destroyers original story didn't have it being sent down to Midgard by Loki and then destroyed by Thor, so certainly Malekith and other characters may be used differently. I do think it seems likely someone bigger will be backing him, just based on the synopsis though.

Quote:
Well, my understanding is the injury set him on the road to, shall we say, alternative medicine. Eventually he goes and studies magic, and sometime later becomes Sorcerer Supreme.

(Heaven help me; I'm coming up to speed on Dr. Strange)
and that's where I got the idea from. yes. A cameo like that would set him up as injured so he can no longer do what he does best, set up an interest in the mystic arts if he's witness to Malekith's magic, and possibly set up a strong desire to protect his home world from future attacks from other worlds... if he is able to become powerful enough to do that. So, while it may not happen exactly like this, if at all, it would certainly work and fit smoothly into the MCU and yet it's still connected to the original comic book story.

I have the same issue with Wasp and Antman showing up in A2. They are not yet established in MCU, A2 is expected to be out in 2015 before Antman from what I see (May 2015 and Nov. 2015 respectively). Could Hank and Janet show up in A2? Certainly, but I think they won't yet be Wasp and Antman at that time, just normal humans, maybe working for Shield, and primarily there establishing the characters for their own origin movie. And maybe that was what Joss did with Wasp in the early Avengers draft. If they made her a shield agent but not yet Wasp, more like Maria Hill as far as skills, then that would have been an easy change to Black Widow. If however he had her tiny and flying round shooting laser bolts at people then that would have been a pretty big change to her part in the script to get her back to being Black Widow.

My point is, There are A LOT of stories to tell in the Marvel universe, and oftentimes the most interesting are the origin stories, I don't see them skipping past that too much. I'm sure Feige and co want to make movies for a long long long time, they dont want to skip important parts like origin stories probably if they can help it.

Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #632
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Quote:
As I recall, Feige maybe, was very enthusiastic about doing a Dr. Strange movie, so I think there will be one for sure. As for casting, or recasting later, we had a different Bruce Banner from Incredible Hulk and Avengers, and yet that movie still ties in, so they could simply recast. And if the guy is terribly injured and has been suffering and it's 3 years later, I'm going to excuse if he looks a bit older and more ragged then he did in Thor 2, if he appears.

Also, they could simply show a doctor, leave the hospital or whatever, run into Thor and Malekith fighting and show him get injured and never name him. It would be an implied Easter egg that he's Dr. Strange. They may have already cast him for the film too but are managing to keep it secret. But seeing as we've got 2 different Banners and two different Fandrals too, I don't have a problem with them recasting if they need to.

I think you are racing to the Strange movies too quickly though his story has yet to be told in MCU and he may not even get to be Sorcerer Supreme until Dr. Strange 3 or something 10 years or more from now! Pace yourself! This cameo I'm suggesting might happen, would amount to Hawkeye showing up in Thor 1, a cameo, setting up the character, but not really effecting the current story being told (though it could have had he shot him with that arrow! lol)... and not necessarily as a big deal in A2. In Incedible Hulk we had Sterns/Leader set up and this is years later and he's yet to be used as a full on villain in MCU, maybe he'll be used in A2, but maybe not. But he's out there... plotting.
What I'm suggesting is a reference to the man who trains Dr. Strange, not Stephen Strange himself yet. So it wouldn't be rushing ahead to anything yet. They're not even referring to Strange...

Stephen Strange isn't the current Sorcerer Supreme because this takes place before his origin. I'm talking about the Ancient One...

What I'm saying is this happens before Strange ever has his accident and gets his powers from the man they're referring to in this film. The Sorcerer Supreme who hands it off to Strange. All that is said is his title, no one is seen, and perhaps they refer to him as the Ancient One as well. This gives them a lot more time to work towards Strange whenever they want. We'll know the Ancient one is out there somewhere and has not trained Strange yet... that's about it.

The man who trains Strange in his origin story. The man who he gets his powers from in his origin is who I'm referring to.

This person is the current Sorcerer Supreme.
Strange starts the path towards Sorcerer Supreme pretty much right after this person trains him.

The Ancient One passes power along to him/the title. None of this would happen in this movie, they simply know of this man who can heal people and has miraculous powers in the far east. We wouldn't see him or Strange, it would just set the stage for them.

Not actually including either character allows them to be depicted in his origin movie way later.

This would place this story before Strange ever gets his powers, he is not the sorcerer supreme the character would make reference to.

Right after Strange gets his powers and his origin story is done he becomes Sorcerer Supreme,

I'm all cool with your scenario if they go that way, personally I love the crossover and think it would set him up faster. I just don't think it's likely. IMHO that's rushing to a Strange movie too quickly, unless there's a plan in place.

The only problem is that Dr. Strange would kind of have to be an origin movie to introduce us to his world/powers. And the whole him getting his hands hurt plays right into that origin.

If we go that way, seeing him in the film and suffering an accident, that's actually playing out part of his origin in the Thor movie. Which is something they really can't do unless they are actually planning on following up on it.

That's all I'm saying.

They could actually do it and I could definitely see it working, but IMO there's much more need to set up Wasp and Ant Man before Avengers 2. That doesn't mean they can't be doing something over here with Strange, but I think whatever they do won't be connected to how phase 2 is set up, so there wouldn't be too much importance on a stange cameo if there is one.

I like your idea because it does work before an origin story, but we can't have him injure his hands in this movie unless it's part of a plan to set him up quickly (suggesting that it's completely possible, though have no real clue about the plans for Strange).

Maybe we only see him as a doctor helping people? And save the injury for his origin movie. He almost needs it as part of the reason for his journey to Tibet. You could cover it in flashbacks though, or lead up to the scene from a diff angle, so again I can see it working. It's just would they go that far towards setting him up?
What I'm saying is they casually mention a sorcerer supreme for now.
The possible Strange-Chthon connection is something that would be built on way later.

Last edited by LokiDionysos; 01-05-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #633
elizah72
Side-Kick

I'm afraid setting up the Sorcerer supreme that trains Dr. Strange in Thor 2, unless HE winds up being a Thor character, it will be taking it too far off on a tangent and away from it being a movie about Thor's world... again unless that sorcerer turns out to be a Thor character, which I don't think is out of the question but would certainly be a big change from what the comics established. Whereas what I suggested would have a purpose in the movie, showing the human cost to Thor and Malekith and Kurse fighting on Midgard, and at the same time establish and bring background to that character for down the road in a way that would not take too much away from it being about Thor's world. And they may not necessarily even name him as Dr. Strange, just implied it. So it would still be open to change later, that way, I suppose.

And either way, I don't think that he'd have to be used immediately at all. Revisiting the character 3 years later, and perhaps flashing back to that scene of how he was injured, seems perfectly reasonable to me. In fact it works great into the timeline to have him struggling with his injury for years and years and getting more and more desperate for a cure, and learning about the mystic arts to some extent prior to his full origin story with him mentor. It fits in perfectly whether it be 3 years or even longer. It will take time for his hands to heal and comes to terms with his injury, and it will take time for him to gather information about sorcery and find his future mentor (or have him notice and find him). This theory gets that all out of the way to move forward with the meatier part of the origin story when they do the Dr. Strange movie.

And again I point out that it will have been several years since we saw Sterns/Leader established as a character and it may be longer yet before he's used as a villain.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #634
LokiDionysos
Eternal

You could do it in one line from many different characters who might know, or might have heard rumors about the duties of the Sorcerer Supreme.

Since we're dealing with magic and a villain who uses sorcery there's plenty of opportunities for that reference to pop up and not lead to actually seeing Strange or the Ancient One.

That's why I brought McNee into it to try to solve Ian Boothby's character and make him a simplified version of him, it would still serve the plot back on earth at the same time and we never have to see the ancient one.

He's simply regarded as a powerful mystic, who we will eventually meet in Strange's movie, when it comes out. You could probably get away with having Odin be the one to reference him since a certain item was in his vault already.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #635
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Quote:

And again I point out that it will have been several years since we saw Sterns/Leader established as a character and it may be longer yet before he's used as a villain.
Yeah, I agree it can be easily done.

I'm just saying there's not really a need to shoehorn in Strange at all when you could easily throw in a reference somehow or another easter egg.

There is a certain benefit to doing all the heavy lifting now, but it would almost detract from the Thor plot more than what I'm suggesting and take up screen-time. So if they're going that way then they've got a rough idea how they are going forward with Strange. Like they may have had with Sterns.

You could definitely set him up in this movie completely and then revisit it, but it would take up time and need to lead to something that's already being planned.

With Leader they had an obvious intent to leave us hanging on him.
If Strange is set up I'd expect him to be part of the plot in this movie and not just tacked on, so I mean if he does show up he does have connections with the person who might be the Other in the comics. And the connection could be someone like McNee who gets used by the Other.

Last edited by LokiDionysos; 01-05-2013 at 06:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #636
elizah72
Side-Kick

I suppose but if they establish a previous Sorcerer Supreme on Earth then seems like that opens up questions like why the heck did this dude not show up all the other times the past several years in the MCU we've seen bad stuff going down and needed help (such as in Avengers). It'll be interesting to see how they handle that.

Quote:
You could definitely set him up in this movie completely and then revisit it, but it would take up time and need to lead to something that's already being planned.
I think it could be done in a scene or two. No more than was used for Hawkeye in Thor 1, or the waitress (including deleted scene) with Cap in Avengers.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #637
LokiDionysos
Eternal

I just want some sort of other connection too. Some importance in the story if he shows up, other than just to set him up. Then he could suffer his accident, and I'd be totally cool with that scenario.

It might actually be cool to see little hints along the way that he's been trying to recover.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #638
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Quote:
I suppose but if they establish a previous Sorcerer Supreme on Earth then seems like that opens up questions like why the heck did this dude not show up all the other times the past several years in the MCU we've seen bad stuff going down and needed help (such as in Avengers). It'll be interesting to see how they handle that.
It's really just part of Strange's backstory, so they'd have to introduce him sooner or later and maybe come up with something.

However, Baron Mordo (a rival student of Strange's during his time there) betrays their master The Ancient One and Strange warns him of Mordo's betrayal.
Mordo has some sort of spells on The Ancient One in one comic that prevents The Ancient One from knowing that Mordo will betray him. They might have to lean on something like that if they follow the Mordo backstory and cover that.

I'd say he's not as powerful as he once was and mainly deals with threats to the magical/astral world. Busy dealing with characters like Mephisto, who Strange can be introduced to. Then he has to deal with Mordo. if you're gonna do Strange you've gotta do it right.

But I'd rush through the Mordo stuff and use Mephisto. So maybe a combination of our scenarios is better.

The more I think about it, it would be pretty sweet getting his hands out of the way now, and then quickly opening with the Mordo betrays Ancient One part of the origin in Tibet. Then you have time for Mephisto in that movie. There are certain reasons I'd go with Mephisto and not Dormammu, especially if we do get something to do with infinity gauntlet.

Last edited by LokiDionysos; 01-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:38 PM   #639
LokiDionysos
Eternal

Maybe i should be looking at Dormammu because of his connection to the dark dimension and Mordo, but I would wanna find a way to skip that part of Mordo for now, leave Mordo with the ability to come back with Dormammu. Then have Strange face Mephisto some time after this to finish off the movie.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #640
elizah72
Side-Kick

Okay so reposting from news thread...

Quote:
NEW Jaimie talks about Thor TDW! She spills a bit! yay Jaimie!!

http://www.iamrogue.com/roguetv/video-interviews/item/7969-exclusive-video-jaimie-alexander-talks-thor-the-dark-world.html

from what she says,
she finished shooting, she thinks they may have more to do "on their end"
Movie will explore Asgard, get to know the people of Asgard more, and the 9 realms A LOT more.
Sif - Thor relationship explored more a little bit, more character development for Sif. She didn't go as far as to say romantic but when asked that she said "kinda" but also mentioned a brother-sister dynamic
more darker more gladiator-ish, more Viking-ish
how do you think the Sif-Thor relationship will effect the story, if at all?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #641
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
how do you think the Sif-Thor relationship will effect the story, if at all?
My short answer is that I suppose it's not going to affect the overall plot, but it may affect some of the emotional sub-stories. But it's really hard to tell, not knowing what is going to happen with the Thor-Jane relationship. Even with Alexander's remarks, there's not much to go on.

Here's a transcript of the 40 seconds or so where she talks about the Sif-Thor relationship (starts at about 0:30):

<begin>
Interviewer: A little bit more character development for Sif?
Alexander: Yes, there is that, yes. And--I don't know if I can say this but--we sort of explore the Sif-Thor relationship a little bit.
Interviewer: Okay, in a romatic sort of--
Alexander: Yeah, kind of. It's more just like getting a feel for who these people are and how they are the way they are with each other which was really which was fun for me and fun for Chris. Again, him and I are almost like brother-sister types too so I was like maybe that translates it to like "Ooo, they love each other" on camera, you know--it's a little weird.
Interviewer: So you want to be careful with that!
Alexander: Yeah, right I know! I know! Jeez. Yeah, but we had a good time making that movie.
<end>

Longer answer:
"Kind of" is very intriguing for me. This strikes me as potentially an example of Hiddleston's comment: "What I can promise is that it's not the old recipe heated up in the microwave, it's new... we're cooking up something completely new with the same ingredients so it's exciting."

In the books, we have had:
Thor+Jane, no Sif
Thor+Jane, Sif pining from the sidelines
Thor+Sif
Thor and Sif splitsville, Thor misses Sif a little bit, Sif wants to be distracted from the splitsville by fighting in a battle
Sif at least kind of interested in Beta Ray Bill
Thor engaged to Sif, later breaking off the engagement
Thor+Amora (don't know where Sif was in that arc)
Thor+Valkerie (Ultimates--I have the impression he's mostly with Jane in that story, but I don't know where Jane (or Sif) was when Thor was with Valkerie)
Thor+Others, undoubtedly

So Sif has either been pining away, very involved, or not involved at all. "Kind of" I think has not yet been done. That makes it new territory.

Sif is one of Thor's oldest friends, that's for sure. They go way back. So there's some emotion connected to that. I think that's what she means when she talks about "getting a feel for who these people are and how they are the way they are with each other". So for parts of the story involving battles, I'm sure they can count on each other. So the relationship would affect the story that way.

Does it mean more? I suppose they wonder about that a little in this film, leading to the "kind of" characterization.

"I have lived many ages of men, Steven. Centuries without end. I have seen many great men, and known countless honors. But the greatest honor of this ancient and tired soul has been the privilege of fighting beside you, and calling you my friend."
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #642
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Maid View Post
My short answer is that I suppose it's not going to affect the overall plot, but it may affect some of the emotional sub-stories. But it's really hard to tell, not knowing what is going to happen with the Thor-Jane relationship. Even with Alexander's remarks, there's not much to go on.

Here's a transcript of the 40 seconds or so where she talks about the Sif-Thor relationship (starts at about 0:30):

<begin>
Alexander: Yes, there is that, yes. And--I don't know if I can say this but--we sort of explore the Sif-Thor relationship a little bit.
Alexander: Yeah, kind of. It's more just like getting a feel for who these people are and how they are the way they are with each other which was really which was fun for me and fun for Chris. Again, him and I are almost like brother-sister types too so I was like maybe that translates it to like "Ooo, they love each other" on camera, you know--it's a little weird.
Alexander: Yeah, right I know! I know! Jeez. Yeah, but we had a good time making that movie.
<end>

Longer answer:
"Kind of" is very intriguing for me. This strikes me as potentially an example of Hiddleston's comment: "What I can promise is that it's not the old recipe heated up in the microwave, it's new... we're cooking up something completely new with the same ingredients so it's exciting."

In the books, we have had:
Thor+Jane, no Sif
Thor+Jane, Sif pining from the sidelines
Thor+Sif
Thor and Sif splitsville, Thor misses Sif a little bit, Sif wants to be distracted from the splitsville by fighting in a battle
Sif at least kind of interested in Beta Ray Bill
Thor engaged to Sif, later breaking off the engagement
Thor+Amora (don't know where Sif was in that arc)
Thor+Valkerie (Ultimates--I have the impression he's mostly with Jane in that story, but I don't know where Jane (or Sif) was when Thor was with Valkerie)
Thor+Others, undoubtedly

So Sif has either been pining away, very involved, or not involved at all. "Kind of" I think has not yet been done. That makes it new territory.

Sif is one of Thor's oldest friends, that's for sure. They go way back. So there's some emotion connected to that. I think that's what she means when she talks about "getting a feel for who these people are and how they are the way they are with each other". So for parts of the story involving battles, I'm sure they can count on each other. So the relationship would affect the story that way.

Does it mean more? I suppose they wonder about that a little in this film, leading to the "kind of" characterization.

in other words, thor is a man whore XD

Old 01-06-2013, 06:56 AM   #643
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
<begin>
<end>
yeah it is a bit confusing what she says... I'm going to take a stab in the dark that maybe it means that Thor had his chance in the past, or Sif had her chance, (to get together) and didn't take it, and maybe a bit of that is revealed... and now he's interested in Jane so it's too late? (or so it seems... hrm... )

It would be fun to have her bring up all the other past ladies Thor has been with and maybe that's why she decided he wasn't the man for her, because he was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Yup. That about covers it.

and it would be fun to see Jane's reaction to "man whore" Thor's past romantic exploits. LOL He's been around a LONG time, so... that's a lot of time to "celebrate" after glorious battles.

Speaking of "man whores", if I recall correctly, they took out both the reference to Thor claiming to have helped Fandral into the most exotic maidens of Yggdrasil's embrace, and also took out a scene pre coronation ceremony where Fandral makes a naughty joke about his sword to some giggling maidens. I wonder if they might give Zach some of that to work with more, possibly to add some humor (though I wasn't crazy about what was deleted from the first film)

Last edited by elizah72; 01-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #644
elizah72
Side-Kick

Thor and Fandral learn some hard facts of life...

Jane (to Thor and Fandral): How could you have possibly slept with that many women?
Thor: we're over 1000 years old Jane...
Fandral: and we are devilishly handsome (aside flirtatiously to Jane) one of us much more so than the other.
Darcy: Aren't you concerned about getting like a STD or something?
Fandral: a what?
Jane: STD, Sexually transmitted disease.
Thor and Fandral laugh.
Fandral: Listen to the mortal women, Thor, worrying about getting a disease from sex... My dear ladies, one doesn't get a disease from pleasure, one only gets pleasure.
Thor: yes, truly...
Jane: (shocked) Who told you two that?
Thor: Loki did.
Sif: And what have we learned recently about listening to one word that Loki tells you?
Thor and Fandral think hard for a moment. Finally...
Fandral: uh.... not.... to?
Sif: Exactly.
(awkward silence)

sorry couldn't resist.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #645
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
To be fair, the writers should get credit for at least *some* of that.

Quote:
Thor and Fandral learn some hard facts of life...
. . .
Darcy: Aren't you concerned about getting like a STD or something?
. . .
Thor and Fandral laugh.
Cute!

I feel badly about raining on it, but: Asgardians actually are immune to infectious diseases (at least the diseases from Earth)

Offspring, on the other hand. . .

(There's a cartoon floating around (based on someone else's snippet) in which Darcy points out to Jane that Thor of myth is the God of Fertility)

Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #646
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
living vicariously through Thor, no doubt.

Quote:
Cute!

I feel badly about raining on it, but: Asgardians actually are immune to infectious diseases (at least the diseases from Earth)
LOL... of course they are....

Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #647
American Maid
Side-Kick

Quote:
Quote:
living vicariously through Thor, no doubt.
Well, escapism is one of the roles fiction plays. . .

Quote:
Asgardians actually are immune to infectious diseases (at least the diseases from Earth)
Quote:
LOL... of course they are....
Lol--I kid you not! It is in the wikia profile(s). (Fandral, for example: http://marvel.wikia.com/Fandral_%28Earth-616%29)

Now, whatever fan wrote that was probably going on something one or more of the writers put in (a) book(s), rather than using the Epidemiological sense of the word. I think what they mean is "they don't get sick from infectious diseases" as opposed to "they successfully (and consistently) produce antibodies in response to the disease agent". The former leaves open the possibility of them being (potentially chronic) carriers (subclinical, not exhibiting symptoms), like Typhoid Mary.

In which case. . . .Ewwwww!!! Lol.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #648
elizah72
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, escapism is one of the roles fiction plays. . .

Lol--I kid you not! It is in the wikia profile(s). (Fandral, for example: http://marvel.wikia.com/Fandral_%28Earth-616%29)

Now, whatever fan wrote that was probably going on something one or more of the writers put in (a) book(s), rather than using the Epidemiological sense of the word. I think what they mean is "they don't get sick from infectious diseases" as opposed to "they successfully (and consistently) produce antibodies in response to the disease agent". The former leaves open the possibility of them being (potentially chronic) carriers (subclinical, not exhibiting symptoms), like Typhoid Mary.

In which case. . . .Ewwwww!!! Lol.
Yes indeed, I will second that Ewww...

and I'm just going to assume that Asgardian women don't become pregnant unless they are ready and really want to... because With Great Sex Comes Zero Responsibility.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #649
American Maid
Side-Kick

(There's something wrong; it won't let me quote your post directly)

Elizah said:
Quote:
I'm just going to assume that Asgardian women don't become pregnant unless they are ready and really want to
In the Simonson run, Volstagg comments that he has 18 children. Later we see Frigga escorting "the children of Asgard" to safety, and they appear to number about 12. This implies that Volstagg and Hildegund (Mrs. Volstagg) represent approximately all the fertility of the realm.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #650
elizah72
Side-Kick

From the News thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyscratch View Post
While the actors know what scenes they shot, I'm guessing at this point they don't know and have zero control over which of their character's scenes gets chopped up or edited out entirely from the final product. If they include some specific Sif/Thor scenes to instigate a bit of jealousy from Jane all of those related scenes could end up on the editing floor if they have better things to fit in the movie.
Ah, well that's another idea, that it isn't really Sif-Thor so much as it looking to Jane like Sif-Thor had a past and her getting insecure and/or jealous. I'm sort of hoping not, but this is entirely possible. I'd rather have some REAL Sif-Thor action though.