The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - Part 21

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 0
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - Part 20

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Thread Manager is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Moony_Girl13
Need a better username
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Canada
Posts: 673
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
See, for me, I think ASM is the best Spidey movie, but SM2 is the best movie. Watching the films and turning my Spidey-fan brain off, I realize that SM2 is the most complete film out of all of them. However, I just really didn't enjoy the characterization of Raimi's Peter Parker/Spider-man. So it wasn't my favorite Spidey film.
I think you've pretty much said what I (and a lot of other people, apparently) have been thinking for awhile, but couldn't pinpoint exactly -- I knew I LIKED TASM best and that it felt the most right to me (though it is obviously not without its flaws, and quite a few of them), but thought SM2 was a better film as far as being more cohesive, grander in scale, handling multiple themes and character arcs, etc. But yeah, I wasn't too fond of quite a few characterizations in it save for JJJ and Harry, I think. And while I still think Ock was the best movie villain if I look at the whole package and don't think about the comics, when I do think of the comics, it kind of bugs me that he was pretty much the Lizard with Ock's power set. I say that as someone who's a fan of both in the comics, btw.

Moony_Girl13 is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,444
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moony_Girl13 View Post
I think you've pretty much said what I (and a lot of other people, apparently) have been thinking for awhile, but couldn't pinpoint exactly -- I knew I LIKED TASM best and that it felt the most right to me (though it is obviously not without its flaws, and quite a few of them), but thought SM2 was a better film as far as being more cohesive, grander in scale, handling multiple themes and character arcs, etc. But yeah, I wasn't too fond of quite a few characterizations in it save for JJJ and Harry, I think. And while I still think Ock was the best movie villain if I look at the whole package and don't think about the comics, when I do think of the comics, it kind of bugs me that he was pretty much the Lizard with Ock's power set. I say that as someone who's a fan of both in the comics, btw.
That's pretty much exactly how I feel. When I watch films I try to seperate them from the source material, if I didn't, I'd have issues with a lot of movies I love. I've read all the Bourne books (the original 3 that is) and I love them, I also love the movies, though they're very, VERY different. Same with Jurassic Park.

SM2 is pretty much the same. It's a very well made movie, but not what I wanted out of a Spider-man movie. I never really liked the way PP/Spidey was handled, and I absolutely hated the way they potrayed MJ. And, like you, I never liked that Ock had an arc that should have belonged to Connors. I remember hearing that originally Raimi intended Lizard and Doc Ock to be in SM2, and it's easy to see that. He basically gave Ock the Lizard's arc.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMarvelite View Post
Silk Trap, Car Theif and High School Fight are TREMEDOUS scenes.
Stan Lee's cameo

I'm sure they are going to be iconic.
Something has to be iconic when the movie as a whole won't be

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
AF3619
WOOO!
 
AF3619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: México
Posts: 6,098
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - Part 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Something has to be iconic when the movie as a whole won't be
now that´s kinda trolling
the movie is not perfect but i don´t get "Iconic as a whole" thing
tell me what is a movie is iconic as a whole?

__________________
avvy by Kane52630
"-On belif of the fair people of New York city and real rhinos everywhere i ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"

Last edited by AF3619; 10-31-2012 at 06:34 PM.
AF3619 is online now  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

How is it trolling? This film is no Spider-Man 2. This film is no The Dark Knight.

Show me anywhere where TAS-M has been hailed as the greatest CBM? If it never got that title, how in the world would it ever be iconic? ESPECIALLY when it deals with an origin that another film dealt with years ago that actually became iconic for the kind of trend it started.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,444
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
How is it trolling? This film is no Spider-Man 2. This film is no The Dark Knight.

Show me anywhere where TAS-M has been hailed as the greatest CBM? If it never got that title, how in the world would it ever be iconic? ESPECIALLY when it deals with an origin that another film dealt with years ago that actually became iconic for the kind of trend it started.
I would agree that TASM didn't do anything iconic. And that's not a bad thing. There are tons of movies out there that I love that I wouldn't consider iconic, and there are some movies that I don't like that are.

But all you have to do is look at the influence TASM had on pop culture. With SM1, you had people parodying the upside down kiss within the first few months of it's release, and a Weird Al song to boot.

TASM wasn't iconic. At the same time, I still prefer it much more then any of the previous three films. I don't think Anno_Domini was trying to troll or bash on TASM when he said it wasn't iconic.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
AF3619
WOOO!
 
AF3619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: México
Posts: 6,098
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
How is it trolling? This film is no Spider-Man 2. This film is no The Dark Knight.

Show me anywhere where TAS-M has been hailed as the greatest CBM? If it never got that title, how in the world would it ever be iconic? ESPECIALLY when it deals with an origin that another film dealt with years ago that actually became iconic for the kind of trend it started.
ok, is not hailed as one of the best CBM and is not an iconic movie because someone did that before ...but the "iconic" movies that you say are sequels
and how is "The Dark knight" iconic?, just curiosity

__________________
avvy by Kane52630
"-On belif of the fair people of New York city and real rhinos everywhere i ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is online now  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
BobbyCorwin88
Avatars are hard
 
BobbyCorwin88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 1,295
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

I think Speed Racer is one of the coolest movies I've ever seen, definitely one of the most inventive. I could watch it over and over and never get bored. But I don't think I'd call it iconic.

TASM is one of the best character-driven CBM's I've ever seen and that's really what I praise it for. It's not the best film I've ever seen, but it's the most honest Spider-Man movie I've ever seen and that's all I really wanted from it.

I am a little upset with how Sony handled it after seeing those deleted scenes.

__________________
DEADPOOL MOVIE
You know..... Whenever.
BobbyCorwin88 is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,444
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
ok, is not hailed as one of the best CBM and is not an iconic movie because someone did that before ...but the "iconic" movies that you say are sequels
and how is "The Dark knight" iconic?, just curiosity
We may be getting into semantics here, but I consider a film iconic if it's had a major impact on pop culture, and has scenes/lines that people will quote for years afterwards.

The "I think we're going to need a bigger boat" in Jaws.
The T-Rex escaping in Jurassic Park,
Indy shooting the swordsman in Raiders, etc.

I'd categoraize TDK in the "iconic" category, because Ledger's Joker has become iconic, along with his catchphrases "Wanna know how I got these scars?" Or "Why so serious" and (at least I think) will continue to be remembered for many years. That categorizes it as an iconic movie for me.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #12
AF3619
WOOO!
 
AF3619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: México
Posts: 6,098
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
We may be getting into semantics here, but I consider a film iconic if it's had a major impact on pop culture, and has scenes/lines that people will quote for years afterwards.

The "I think we're going to need a bigger boat" in Jaws.
The T-Rex escaping in Jurassic Park,
Indy shooting the swordsman in Raiders, etc.

I'd categoraize TDK in the "iconic" category, because Ledger's Joker has become iconic, along with his catchphrases "Wanna know how I got these scars?" Or "Why so serious" and (at least I think) will continue to be remembered for many years. That categorizes it as an iconic movie for me.
true...

__________________
avvy by Kane52630
"-On belif of the fair people of New York city and real rhinos everywhere i ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is online now  
Old 10-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick
 
Infinity9999x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9,444
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF3619 View Post
true...
And again, I don't look at that as a bad thing. I would call Prestige an "iconic" movie either, but it's still one of my favorites.

__________________


my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down


X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Well I think Infinity answered the question on how TDK is considered iconic. Let alone, it's memorized as a CBM that literally changed things and this isn't a pun from one of Joker's lines as it's clearly the truth. Nolan's entire trilogy will be memorable, but out of those three films, it'll be The Dark Knight that is known as a very iconic film in the lines of Spider-Man 2, Superman: The Movie. And in regards to a film that started something, no other Spider-Man film period will be as iconic as the '02 film for really pushing the trend of all CBMs for the 21st century. I don't see anywhere where The Amazing Spider-Man will be known as very iconic or a film that started something as Superman: The Movie, Spider-Man, Batman Begins.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 PM   #15
AF3619
WOOO!
 
AF3619's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: México
Posts: 6,098
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Well I think Infinity answered the question on how TDK is considered iconic. Let alone, it's memorized as a CBM that literally changed things and this isn't a pun from one of Joker's lines as it's clearly the truth. Nolan's entire trilogy will be memorable, but out of those three films, it'll be The Dark Knight that is known as a very iconic film in the lines of Spider-Man 2, Superman: The Movie. And in regards to a film that started something, no other Spider-Man film period will be as iconic as the '02 film for really pushing the trend of all CBMs for the 21st century. I don't see anywhere where The Amazing Spider-Man will be known as very iconic or a film that started something as Superman: The Movie, Spider-Man, Batman Begins.
i agree with most of what you said
but how exactly The Dark Knight changed things? i get the Joker was very iconic
but what else?

__________________
avvy by Kane52630
"-On belif of the fair people of New York city and real rhinos everywhere i ask you to put your mechanized paws in the air

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
AF3619 is online now  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:57 PM   #16
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

What else? Lol. Crossing the lines in making a CBM feel more than just a CBM. By having more philosophical elements in a superhero film that was received very well and doing a better job at it then even Singer's X-Men films. I don't know how you can say TDK didn't change things with the genre as a whole.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #17
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick
 
Tacit Ronin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 10,228
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

TDK didn't really have any influence on comic book movies that came after. Name me one superhero flick that is like TDK since 2008 (TDKR not withstanding, obviously)? If anything, Batman Begins is the influential one, as the likes of Favreau, Gavin Hood (Wolverine director), and Marc Webb has name dropped it as influences. Begins also had an impact on Hollywood at large being the first successful reboot which now allows Hollywood to be very reboot happy. The only film that has been cited by its filmmakers as being influenced by TDK is Skyfall, which is not even a comic book film. JJ Abrams also cites TDK as an influence for his Star Trek sequel, which has yet to come out, and once again, isn't a comic book film.

Tacit Ronin is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #18
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider
 
Venom'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,988
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Hmmm, there's nothing iconic about TDK. Pulp Fiction, that's iconic. There's nothing iconic about Joker(don't confuse the fact because a beloved actor died); Jules, that's iconic.

I think people are using the term very loosely. A number of actors could easyly pull off Joker...none could pull off Jules.

__________________
___________________________________
Foxx-Electro * Giamatti-Rhino * DeHaan-ProtoGoblin
My JL Trailer * The Unholy Trinity of Venom * The Sinister 6
Venom'sDad is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 AM   #19
Anno_Domini
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,997
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
TDK didn't really have any influence on comic book movies that came after. Name me one superhero flick that is like TDK since 2008 (TDKR not withstanding, obviously)? If anything, Batman Begins is the influential one, as the likes of Favreau, Gavin Hood (Wolverine director), and Marc Webb has name dropped it as influences. Begins also had an impact on Hollywood at large being the first successful reboot which now allows Hollywood to be very reboot happy. The only film that has been cited by its filmmakers as being influenced by TDK is Skyfall, which is not even a comic book film. JJ Abrams also cites TDK as an influence for his Star Trek sequel, which has yet to come out, and once again, isn't a comic book film.
We're talking about two different things though. What's an iconic film, specifically a CBM, and what CBM out there started something. While TDK, to me, is an iconic film, you are correct with Batman Begins being the film that created a new trend of reboots as well as influence other directors, which I even mentioned already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post
Hmmm, there's nothing iconic about TDK. Pulp Fiction, that's iconic. There's nothing iconic about Joker(don't confuse the fact because a beloved actor died); Jules, that's iconic.

I think people are using the term very loosely. A number of actors could easyly pull off Joker...none could pull off Jules.
Nothing? Really? Let alone Ledger's Joker being a definitive villain as well as the now definitive take on the character, but the entire movie is a very iconic take in cinematic history.

Anno_Domini is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #20
SpiderMarvelite
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oscorp
Posts: 1,965
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

I agree FOR ONE TIME ONLY with Anno.

SpiderMarvelite is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 AM   #21
Jick09
Auxiliary Assistant
 
Jick09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Across the burning sands
Posts: 8,322
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

I agree with Infinity9999x when he says about iconic having an influence on pop culture. That's how I see it.

Like the giant rock ball chasing Indiana Jones in the first movie. I've seen that represented in other midia so many times. Games, for example. Like Crash Bandicoot.
The Simpsons too. But instead of the ball, it was Homer.

__________________
Quote:
Lewis Black
"If it weren’t for my horse, I wouldn’t have spent that year in college."
Jick09 is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 05:34 AM   #22
Oscorp
I hate you...so much!
 
Oscorp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,240
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

I think I used the word iconic wrong, I meant memorable.

__________________
Yeah they should just cancel the films and not even bother and spend the budget on building a giant statue of toby macguire instead!
-BRAB
Oscorp is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
Smegger56
The Smegginator
 
Smegger56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: ScouseLand, Liverpool, England
Posts: 2,453
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

IMO, TASM is both the better film and better spidey film.

Why? It's mainly due to all the non spidey stuff in Spidey 2. The Pete/MJ scenes are borderline Star Wars prequal quality IMO, I didn't care much for Harry's torment in the film the way I should have been, the Ock stuuf (pre-tentacles) is ok, and the JJ stuff, whilst funny is not a movie saver.

TASM just gives me both an emotional ride as much as an action ride. Whilst it's not perfect, I get absolute joy (and near depression, in a good way) when watching it (and I've watched it so many times now lol).

I agree that TDK is the superior film to it.

__________________
METAL.GEAR
ASSASSIN'S

Smegger56 is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #24
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun
 
Brain Damage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,861
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
What else? Lol. Crossing the lines in making a CBM feel more than just a CBM. By having more philosophical elements in a superhero film that was received very well and doing a better job at it then even Singer's X-Men films. I don't know how you can say TDK didn't change things with the genre as a whole.
This.
TDK proved you can have a long, dark, intricate movie that takes itself as seriously as any crime drama, doesn't sacrifice its rich storyline to make itself more appealing AND still manages to make a bajilion dollars at the box-office.

__________________
WHO APPOINTED THE BATMAN?

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline  
Old 11-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #25
TheWallCrawler
hero or a menace?
 
TheWallCrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: a realm of non-physical existence
Posts: 4,720
Default Re: The Amazing Spider-Man General Discussion - - - Part 22

I wonder what Nolan's take would've been on the Lizard. Not like "a realistic 'this could happen' Lizard" but if Nolan had made this movie, what would Connors/Lizard be like?

TheWallCrawler is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.