Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #76
melvintwj
Spoder-Man

Default Re: Jamie Foxx IS Electro - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
We can't have another final battle on top of Oscorp Tower, that would be too repetitive. I think it would be really cool to see Spider-Man and Electro battle in the middle of Times Square, which gives Electro an advantage due to all the giant television screens and lights.
Haha I didn't say anything about battling on the Oscorp Tower I agree that it's cool to have a fight in the middle of Times Square where there are sources of electricity everywhere and then Spidey has to rely on his brains and brawn to take down Electro :}

Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #77
The Guard
Side-Kick

Personally, I think the classic Green Goblin design looks ridiculous. Not that the SPIDER-MAN design looked any less so, but while I'm sure they could come up with something less techy than in the comics, the stocking cap and the general outfit he wears? No thanks.

I never had an issue with what Dafoe wore in SPIDER-MAN. Its purpose was clear, it looked high-tech and kind of organic at the same time, and I don't really get complaints that Dafoe's performance suffered. He was on fire as Osborne without the costume.

He had a kind of a creepy "face within a face" thing going on in the mask, and he nailed the role even with the suit and that mask on. He was a pretty solid representation of The Green Goblin.

Wouldn't any mask have affected how much you could see of his performance? Even something more like a prosthetic as in the makeup tests we've seen before would have affected it in some fashion.

My guess is we're going to see the Ultimate Green Goblin this time around, sans glider.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 11-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #78
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
Personally, I think the classic Green Goblin design looks ridiculous. Not that the SPIDER-MAN design looked any less so, but while I'm sure they could come up with something less techy than in the comics, the stocking cap and the general outfit he wears? No thanks.

I never had an issue with what Dafoe wore in SPIDER-MAN. Its purpose was clear, it looked high-tech and kind of organic at the same time, and I don't really get complaints that Dafoe's performance suffered. He was on fire as Osborne without the costume.

He had a kind of a creepy "face within a face" thing going on in the mask, and he nailed the role even with the suit and that mask on. He was a pretty solid representation of The Green Goblin.

Wouldn't any mask have affected how much you could see of his performance? Even something more like a prosthetic as in the makeup tests we've seen before would have affected it in some fashion.

My guess is we're going to see the Ultimate Green Goblin this time around, sans glider.
I think we will get a mix of the Ultimate Design and the Classic look. He will probably go through some physical transformation, and acquire some of the classic Goblin's tech (a different version of the pumpkin bomb), and there is still a chance of getting a glider.

It seems like Webb is interested in combining elements from both the 616 and Ultimate universe.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 11-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #79
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I do wonder how webb will do green goblin, i mean it has to be different to Raimis's movies and as raimi's green goblin design was incredibly different to anything seen in the comics i'd imagine that means if webb wanted he could be more loyal to the comic look

but at same time maybe he would want to make it as different as possible and maybe osborn gets injected by something similar to what conners created to become

and as harry osborn is being introduced that could very well mean we will meet Norman this film but could also very well mean we won't see green goblin till the 3rd film, infact i think its pretty likely we won't see green goblin till the 3rd film unless its in a end credit scene for this 2nd film as norman,oscorp and peters parents seem like the back bone to these films so if we get it all out the way in the 2nd film wouldnt have alot to connect a 3rd film

but anyway back to electro

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 11-20-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #80
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I suspect Webb will split the difference and have the serum physically change him in a sense that his skin and features may take on kind of a greenish/monster-like tint, but he'll still don some kind of goblin-ish costume.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #81
Picard Sisko
Prepare to be Assimilated

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
I suspect Webb will split the difference and have the serum physically change him in a sense that his skin and features may take on kind of a greenish/monster-like tint, but he'll still don some kind of goblin-ish costume.
I like that idea. I mean, with the whole cross-species genetics theme in this franchise, it would only make sense that Norman would physically transform at least on some level. I just don't want a mindless giant CGI green gargoyle with wings flying around the city.

If he turns into a ghoulish like creature with Goblin features, but is still close to the shape of a human, can think, create strategies, and operate the glider, I would be content. In the end, it really doesn't matter what they decide, because the execution is what counts. I'm more worried about having a Spider-Man franchise where the majority of villains are large cgi monsters, and only one (electro) isn't.

"No matter how small I am--no matter how hopeless everything seems--I mustn't give up! My size doesn't matter! Even my life doesn't matter! No one can win--every battle, but--no man should fall-- without a struggle!"
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #82
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Why make his skin green and that kind of ********? Just stick to the 616 comics and have him be "normal" looking as Osborn and have a Green Goblin SUIT.

I don't get why there's a need to change for the sake of changing. Don't fix what ain't broken. He won't be too much like Dafoe's Green Goblin because the focus on Oscorp and Norman is much bigger here and that alone is different enough.

Even the slightest Goblin-ish transformation is taking a piss on the character of Norman. Someone here said "of course fanboys will complain anyway"...to that I say: you know nothing about the character of Norman Osborn/Green Goblin if you don't think that's a big deal.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #83
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

^ this.

Kaya Scodelario for Mary Jane Watson!!
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #84
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Reading people’s ideas on a “transforming” Goblin based on cross-species genetics, I think it might be the best of both worlds. Nothing like the Hulk-Goblin in USM, but something more subtle (allowing the actor to actually PLAY the part with prosthetics) that gives us the Goblin look without being looked at as a cheesy halloween mask.

For those who’d want the mask (my self included until now), they could give fans a nod towards it in a cool/creepy fashion. If Connor’s Lizard formula is the basis for the formula Norman takes, then the transformation from Goblin back to Norman could be like a lizard shedding it’s skin. Norman’s face is “under” the Goblin skin. Imagining seeing the Green Goblin beaten up in the final fight with his face ripped up – almost like he was wearing a mask – and then him ripping the remaining Goblin “skin” off to reveal his identity seems like a physiologically f’ed up thing he’d do just to mess with Peter.

Last edited by Spider-Who?; 11-20-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #85
terry78

It's up to Webb, man. I'm just saying what I suspect he'll do since he's taking cues from Ultimate and 616.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #86
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thwip! View Post
This warrants more attention
Thanks mate!

And thank you for the very encouraging gesture Oscorp really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I agree with you about Electro. They shouldn't try to make him something that would feel forced. For example, they shouldn't make Electro come up with these complicated, perfect schemes like Joker does. He shouldn't have this confident presence like Bane.

As you perfectly said, Electro should be one of the monsters in Spidey's journey. You really nailed it there. He doesn't need to rival Green Goblin. I don't think for a second that Electro will be up there with Joker and Doc Ock as CBM villains, because that's just not the kind of villain he is.

What should be compelling about Electro is A) His powers, and B) his deep personality. If they use him to his full potential (as they must do!), these two things combined will make him an extremely exciting villain.
I think I'd prefer to see him as a loose canon who's posing a threat to both Osborn as well as Spidey. I actually loved the balance they had going for between Ock and Harry, or like how the Joker was against the mob. But yeah I agree, he shouldn't be as much of a psychological foe as Joker was, there's just so much potential in what he can do visually and physically with his powers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
Yeah I definitely think so! It would be a perfect way to show that Electro wasn't born with those powers, but at the same time you don't need to waste time showing his origin in detail for you!

The only thing needed is that Peter sneaks into Oscorp and finds documents of the creation of Electro. You don't need to get overly much details from those, it's enough for you to see that there was a project of creating Electro that was done in illegaly and in secret, for what purpose (taking down Spidey or something) etc. To build more upon the character of Dillon, maybe have a sound tape that says something about "Experiment #x, new test subject named Maxwell Dillon. He is extremely eager to do this, almost as if in desperation." or something like that. That's all you need and even less maybe.

That would make for a creepy and exciting scene, much much better than flashbacks or real time origin. Have Osborn catch Peter in the act as well and it will get even more thrilling.
Maybe the experimentation on Dillion happened a good while ago and he's been in hiding all this time only to come back now -- like, maybe he's emergence has something to do with Pete going out to look for him and what he finds he doesn't necessarily like?

Quote:
It's definitely true that a hero needs the best villains. Unfortunately Avi Arad has the mindset that for a villain to be interesting he/she must be sympathetic and directly connected to Peter in some way. I think it will take a long time before we see something different from that.
Is Avi Arad still calling all the shots? I thought he retired and gave all the creative responsibilities to Feige and just sits back and spends and makes money off of these like Stan or something? Or is that only for the 'Marvel Studios' label?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
But THAT'S the thing...I doubt Joker would be on that list as well if we asked a group of people to name their all-time cinematic villains. If even Ledger won an award for it, that doesn't entail that he'd be on a list of most memorable villains.

I mean, guys like Hardy's Bane, Molina's Doc Ock...they seem so underrated now because of Ledger's Joker.

But much like Flint Marko recalling how he killed Uncle Ben, I think while reading documents or whatever to explain the process, we could definitely see how it was when Dillon received those abilities. Both ways, reading a document or Norman explaining it, would definitely make sense, imo.
Yeah because these characters are still regarded as "Comic Book Supervillains" first and "Movie villains" second -- which, to be honest, they are. It's like letting all the classic villains from cinema have their own thing instead of letting every other adapted character, franchise, etc. impinge on that on a list. I prefer to see Joker, Ock, Goblin and all of them as archetypes -- so Bane wouldn't be someone I'd compare with the J-man or Goblin with Venom So yeah i know what you mean.

Never liked the Flint Marko retcon though -- it seemed lazy, why mess with something that was already so well established just to give the hero a cheap revenge plot? But as for flashback vs. dialogue, maybe if they give it some sort of subtlety instead of force-feeding it to us. I'm okay with a reveal through dialogue.

"I live with my aunt and uncle, and they're proud of me"

instead of dramatically-random-flashback-origin-scene-that-really-didn't-resolve-itself-by-the-end-of-the-movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Not explaining his mask is like not explaining why the Joker was a nutcase. That's the biggest miss on the villain. It sucked. To say he's in the top 10 villains of all time is a complete fanboy-biased mistake, sorry.
That was sort of the point -- he's representing an absolute. If you gave Joker an explanation you'd have just that: an explanation. The point was to keep it ambiguous and be something inexplainable. People compared it to Iago as this sort of "meaningless malignity" thing going for him. It, by all means, did not suck.

I loved the fact that you had characters guessing who these larger-than-life figures were -- something that was even there in the Raimi films, for the New Yorkers, it meant that when they finally saw Spidey without the mask in movie 2 it was a shocking revelation -- he really was just like one of them. I loved it. Would love to see something like that continue.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #87
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

Well, to bring up Red Skull, when he took the Super-Soldier serum it changed him into a terrifying look because he was pure evil. I think Norman with the Oz formula it could have a similar effect.

With Spider-Man, a goodhearted bloke, it probably wouldn't have the same effects, but with Norman he takes on a monstrous physique. Of course I could be wrong and the Oz formula could completely affect Spider-Man's mutation and furthermore bring forth the Man-Spider.

But I'd say Marc has either got to A) Just go with the classic GG look or B) Ultimate or C) A mixture of both classic and modern.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the horns and the hood from the Ultimate line, but I would still want him to ride a glider and hurl pumpkin bombs.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #88
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

You could make it sothe formula literally turns Norman into a goblin looking creature when excited/frightened/angered and then turns normal looking when he calms down. This gets around why a CEO of one of the world's largest corperations would dress up like a goblin which makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited by spider-neil; 11-21-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #89
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

But that's the point -- kinda ike how the world's largest weapon's manufacturer doubles as a superhero, or the billionaire playboy spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp... as Luthor once said: when you're rich you're not crazy... just eccentric.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:

Old 11-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #90
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuestStar2004 View Post

Okay THIS I can get behind completely. Give or take a few alterations and make him look really mischievous - the big issues are the ears alone and the moniker. The idea of Norman being driven mad by the serum and going on a costumed-rampage is... well I dunno I just don't find it that big a leap. We already have a hero dressed as a spider.

Quote:
bUT THIS just looks too generic. Is he Etrigan? The devil? Abomina-Hulk? But Webb's a bigger fan of the ultimate series, who knows maybe this is what we'll be getting.

Or if he's really creative enough, something that combines the two or attempts at an original third like Raimi did.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #91
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post

Y'know, thinking back yeah I have to agree with that -- it wasn't as big a problem as it's put up to be; the features were straight off the comics, the eyes and the exo-suit made it purposeful and when he was on the glider with only the green it actually made him a good live-action version of Gobby. Defoe excelled in his performance, especially with the voice and those stressed consonants. I never had a problem with his mouth not moving since the characters never at once felt static.

At any rate I'd rather they gave us a combination of the two or something original since it's not the full-on "ultimate" universe here, or a full-on "616" universe. Might as well do some redesigns like they did with Spidey.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #92
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think we will get a mix of the Ultimate Design and the Classic look. He will probably go through some physical transformation, and acquire some of the classic Goblin's tech (a different version of the pumpkin bomb), and there is still a chance of getting a glider.

It seems like Webb is interested in combining elements from both the 616 and Ultimate universe.
Makes sense.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #93
Venom'sDad
Reason I Became a Raider

The Catch-22 for me is I love the costume look. (v)

However, not sure we can get the facial expression, in particular, the sinister smile(^), with a mask.....which why I would consider a transformation. My hearts desire is the costume; don't honestly care for the "Ultimate" transformation; but, I Want Facial Expressions!

Torn

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #94
AF3619
WOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post

However, not sure we can get the facial expression, in particular, the sinister smile(^), with a mask.....which why I would consider a transformation. My hearts desire is the costume; don't honestly care for the "Ultimate" transformation; but, I Want Facial Expressions!

Torn
maybe mid-transformation like just that his face deformed and increased agility and strenght with Madness included

-[Over the top russian accent] NEVER!, I CRUSH YOU, I KILL YOU, I DESTROY YOU

-You want me to come there so you can kill me?
-YES
-I´ll be right there"
Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM   #95
shauner111
Side-Kick

I didn't like Goblins suit in the first Spider-Man. Dafoe was good as Osborn but that voice was too cartoony and i completely understand the common "power ranger" references to the suit LOL. I don't like the Ultimate version either quite frankly.

It's up to Webb if he wants Norman to transform or just have the suit, but i would go for something that's a modern twist on the classic Green Goblin from the comics. With the purple as well. There's too much goddamn green with Spidey villains! Why not just call him The Goblin for short?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #96
Web face
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom'sDad View Post

Torn
They could make it so that in the movie you are shown that Norman made a very high quality, realistic-looking, skin tight mask but the actor could just be wearing make up. You know what I mean?

Old 11-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #97
terry78

It's just a very weird thing to do. In the books, the mask always changed expression according to what he was doing or saying, which was kind of creepy, but was just what the artists did.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #98
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

Yeah, a mask just doesn't work on film, we've been down that road and it was a major disappointment. I want to see the facial characteristics, so I like the mutation route using prosthetics and make-up.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #99
Web face
Side-Kick

Idk maybe I'm being stubborn here, but I really think that a mask could work on film.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 AM   #100
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Of course it would work, some people just are a bit unimaginative it seems.

Closed Thread