The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #251
Fudgie
Banned User

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
He gets her to consider more than just herself, remember? She isn't as selfish as she believes herself to be.
She never thought of herself as selfish. She said to him at the ball that she does more for people than the rich ever do. He just got her to risk her life to save Gotham.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #252
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
That's an interesting concept. But I'm not really seeing any similarity character-wise. Technically, every (sane) person has the capacity for good. So Batman drops everything in order to reform one cat-burglar, but to hell with all of the other criminals? So she wears a black suit at night too? Okay, I mean, it's a start at least. But then why elope with her to Europe? Post TDKR, I don't really see Bruce getting back into costume, so there goes the only thing that they ever had in common.

If that were universally true, we wouldn't be having this conversation...

Yeah, I'm not argueing that Rachel or Miranda is better for Bats. I'm just saying that the guy fights crime. Falling in love with a criminal makes him seem weak and completely hypocritical to me. Manipulating a criminal in order to get what he wants (her help to stop Bane) is cool though...

And again, I'm just not seeing the "likeness of spirit" thing. She's got a particular set of skills, so to speak, so it would be nice to have her on his side. I understand that motivation. Anything past that makes no sense to me though.

Catwoman keeps letting Bruce down, and he keeps trusting her anyway. How does he know that she'll help him when it really matters? Batman's smart, but he doesn't have telepathy. The whole situation with her is a crazy gambit that I could never swallow.
Quoted for truth.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #253
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
And again, I'm just not seeing the "likeness of spirit" thing. She's got a particular set of skills, so to speak, so it would be nice to have her on his side. I understand that motivation. Anything past that makes no sense to me though.

Catwoman keeps letting Bruce down, and he keeps trusting her anyway. How does he know that she'll help him when it really matters? Batman's smart, but he doesn't have telepathy. The whole situation with her is a crazy gambit that I could never swallow.
It's not quantum cryptology. Batman knew Catwoman was a person in need of help because of her past (which he extensively researched) and her miniscule hints/confession during their encounter at the ball. Is it truly any different than the comics?

Bruce knows Selina is not a villain's villain. She has a heart, and convictions of her own. So it's not a big gamble as you seem to perceive it.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #254
Van Petrol
No Strings On Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
My radar went off. Amazing photo shoot.

Check out what she wore at the Les Mis Premiere:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
She is Perfection!

Van Petrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #255
CoolCadaver49
Not a Hero...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
Batman belives in a system is there to help reform people. It is why he is against killing cause he thinks the system will help them become good people in society again. When he meets a Selina he finds a women not evil, but simply trying to start over and have a good life. He finds that she is trapped much like he is cause she need to dress up like Catwoman and do jobs in order to reach her goal, but its seems like a never ending quest. He has to have Batman and fight a never ending war on crime and it looks like there is no escape. he sees himself in her and wants to help her reform. and thats where they connect imo.
Okay, wow, yeah, that makes total sense within the context of TDKR. Thank you man, that has always bothered me. That's a great explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
It's not quantum cryptology.
It was to me, until now. Anyway, this is my new favorite phrase.

Last edited by CoolCadaver49; 12-05-2012 at 07:50 PM.
CoolCadaver49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #256
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #257
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

She looks beautiful in that dress, and theres Wolvie himself Mr. Jackman admiring her as well.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #258
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I watched TDKR for the first time today....Overall, I was disappointed in it, but Anne's performance was one of the good things about the movie.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 PM   #259
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I watched TDKR for the first time today....Overall, I was disappointed in it, but Anne's performance was one of the good things about the movie.
Shame on you for not seeing the film in the theater!

Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #260
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Logan View Post
Shame on you for not seeing the film in the theater!
You have absolutely no idea what was going on in my life last summer....you have absolutely no idea why I wasn't able to see it in the theater last summer. Next time think before you type.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #261
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Woah. What a picture of Anne. Look at that sexy bare back and side boob. She likes showing those off and I'm glad she does.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #262
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

There's A storm Coming!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

No Guns No Killing
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Still Don't trust me
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Selina & Bruce
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

"You've given them everything, Not Everything not yet!"
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 PM   #263
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
He sees himself in her. She reminds him of him, but is a person who didn't have the breaks and fortunes he had. He is attracted to her because she is just like him in her need to dress up on a costume and has the capacity for good. That is why he wants to reform her. Plus men are always attracted to the femme fatale. But in the Nolan story it is more out of an attraction to a likeness of spirit. More than he ever had with Rachel or Talia, who posed as Rachel 2.0 as Miranda. At least, that is how I took it.
Right. I was at how quickly Bruce took to Miranda after she lectured him like Rachel did. He thought that was the kind of woman he wanted, forgetting the fun banter he was having with Selina, who is actually a kindred spirit.

It's not necessarily the costume that he identified with, especially since he first meets her when she's not in costume. It's her ability. She had similar skills to him (Alfred even suggests they can compare notes), and had a similar pleasure in using those skills even though they want to make those skills irrelevant in their lives. It takes a very special person to be like that, and he identifies with that aspect of Selina right away, even teasing her about it when they first meet and he spots the pearls around her neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
She never thought of herself as selfish. She said to him at the ball that she does more for people than the rich ever do. He just got her to risk her life to save Gotham.
Yes she did consider herself selfish. She gave Batman up to Bane even though she hero-worshipped him, because she thought it would save her own skin. She aims to leave Gotham, without Jen, after seeing Batman get beat. Again, to save herself. When she mentions doing more for the poor, I took it to be taking Jen under her wing. But it wasn't like she had anything to lose by doing so.

Before meeting Bruce, if she had something to lose, she would always look out for number one. It's only when she sees how heroic and selfless Batman is, that he finally inspires her.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #264
Travesty
Dats right!

Quote:
You have absolutely no idea what was going on in my life last summer....you have absolutely no idea why I wasn't able to see it in the theater last summer. Next time think before you type.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Travesty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #265
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvz5 View Post
That dress is bizarre (there's too much going on) but I can imagine the fanboys liking it especially the last picture.
I like the dress, but yep..

Anne is back in action.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomed_hero View Post
Batman belives in a system is there to help reform people. It is why he is against killing cause he thinks the system will help them become good people in society again. When he meets a Selina he finds a women not evil, but simply trying to start over and have a good life. He finds that she is trapped much like he is cause she need to dress up like Catwoman and do jobs in order to reach her goal, but its seems like a never ending quest. He has to have Batman and fight a never ending war on crime and it looks like there is no escape. he sees himself in her and wants to help her reform. and thats where they connect imo.
Indeed. They were both at that point in their life.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #266
Mako
Galactic Crusier

Quote:
Pretty sure what he was saying was in a light hearted tone. No real need for such a condescending response.

Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:07 AM   #267
Bane Cook
Side-Kick

There's some pictures of Anne in a black shirt that you can see her nipples through because of the light. I can't post them for obvious reasons, but does anyone know if they are real or photoshopped? They are from back when she had long hair.

Bane Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:22 AM   #268
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
No Guns No Killing
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
I absolutely love when Selina is with Batman in the Bat. There's this real genuine ethereal and almost whimsy feeling as Nolan actually lets the Bat sink in for the audience as it glides along the Gotham skyline.

It's beautiful. Anne really sells that scene for me when she puts on the cutest face ever and with a sense of awe takes a peek outside the Bats window to gaze over the amazing view. She's enjoying herself. Love that part a lot.

Feels like a mixture of the first Spinner scenes in Blade Runner mixed in with a dose of that Batman comic/animated series goodness.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #269
Bane Cook
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I absolutely love when Selina is with Batman in the Bat. There's this real genuine ethereal and almost whimsy feeling as Nolan actually lets the Bat sink in for the audience as it glides along the Gotham skyline.

It's beautiful. Anne really sells that scene for me when she puts on the cutest face ever and with a sense of awe takes a peek outside the Bats window to gaze over the amazing view. She's enjoying herself. Love that part a lot.

Feels like a mixture of the first Spinner scenes in Blade Runner mixed in with a dose of that Batman comic/animated series goodness.
Completely agree. Loved that scene. Short of breath, not able to talk, you can probably imagine she's thinking, "... this is THE Batman."

Bane Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #270
CaptainClown
Papa SPANK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post

i think of a whole new world

CaptainClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #271
kvz5
HBIC

Yeah I love her reaction in that scene. It's like she's fangirly-ing and nervous one second and then she takes it all in and enjoys it the next second.

kvz5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #272
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane Cook View Post
Completely agree. Loved that scene. Not able to talk, you can probably imagine she's thinking, "... this is THE Batman."
Yep, good little scene. Selina looks self satisfied. Her reaction to the news broadcast earlier, in front of the safe, was a precursor to this. “I’m riding in the back of a flying ‘car’ with this mythical man that hasn’t been seen for eight years.” It would’ve been a surreal moment.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:32 AM   #273
Doc Samson
Superhero Psychiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainClown View Post
I dunno abotu you but for me it is implanted in my brain that he would end up with Catwoman. I dunno but like they have been through so much it ws inevitable. Though it isn't perhaps the most logical choice but I guess she truly understands him.

Talia has daddy issues and really wants him to replace her father.I don't think she loves Bruce as much as she loves her father. (FREUDIAN!!!)

All the other non costumed characters like Vicki Vale and even Rachel won't completely understand him so he will constantly feel isolated and alone. And despite his persona he wants to be loved by someone who sees him for who he really is.
That's the nail on the head right there. I don't think it's so much that he identifies with Selina, or that she needs to be reformed. It's just that simply, she didn't care who he was or judge him about it. And she was fun. When he's looking up her information in the cave, or after he catches up to her at the ball, he seems almost humored by it. I mean, Rachel & Miranda were pretty stuffy, TBH

"I don't give a **** what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations,' Well, **** you. Because I don't play for your ******* approval. I play for my own love and enjoyment of the game. And to win. That's what I play for."
- Kobe Bryant

"As of right now, I don't know what he do good, cause what may work on another fighter is not gonna work on me."

- Floyd Mayweather
Doc Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #274
Deserana
2005/2008/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Yep, good little scene. Selina looks self satisfied. Her reaction to the news broadcast earlier, in front of the safe, was a precursor to this. “I’m riding in the back of a flying ‘car’ with this mythical man that hasn’t been seen for eight years.” It would’ve been a surreal moment.
Anne's face said so much in that little moment you could just tell she was thinking "holy **** this is the real deal" I've been doing kids play compared to this.

Psychic though? That sounds like something out of science-fiction.

We live in a spaceship, dear.

Deserana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #275
Batman jr.
Proud Nolanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCadaver49 View Post
But she's a criminal... That's what I don't understand. In TDKR I don't think that there needed to be a "love" interest other than Talia. That movie is packed with stuff already. But even the way it was handled made no sense to me. I just don't know what Bruce saw in her, or why he continued to trust her after she stole from/betrayed him.

Movie Talia is irrelevant to this discussion, because, the films, she lies to Bruce about who she really is. But in the comics and stuff, I don't care if Talia loves Bruce, but he shouldn't love her. If he hates the LOS, there's no way that he could/should love her.

In all other Batman media, Catwoman is a love interest for Batman, and I don't understand how that can be. She is a criminal. She steals things for a living. What makes her any different than any other burglar that Bats might stop? She's hot. I guess.

I think that relationship completely compromises the Batman character and his obsession with fighting crime. So what if he feels alone/isolated. That just adds to his character, imo.
She is more than just "a simple criminal". Or do you think she's as crazy as Joker or Two Face?

Batman jr. is offline   Reply With Quote