The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Old 11-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Default Re: Final page of ASM 698 is now online...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Keep in mind, folks, that this is part 1 of a three part story (four if you count Amazing Spider-Man #699.1) with the main story in Amazing Spider-Man #700 being something like close 60 pages. So given what winds up happening, you know there's going to be a lot more twists and turns before Superior Spider-Man #1 launches. And yes, the suspense is getting to me already.
THIS.

What happens could mean nothing regarding who Superior Spidey actually is. It could be somebody that has no choice but to step in red booties.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

I saw the page. People were right before, but I agree... who says it won't change before 700? It's 698 we're talking about here. It's not the end.

Wadaltmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Yeah considering ASM #700 is over 60 pages, it's not hard to believe that they could change it in that issue.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #29
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

I'll wait out the story but still have fun talking about it.

Miken Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 PM   #30
AgentEnforcer
misses Ben Reilly.

This revelation has a pretty hoaky 70's comic vibe to it.

Maybe this signals the return to less realistic, zany plot devises from yester-year!

The Ben Reilly Tribute - Best Ben Reilly Resource on the web!
AgentEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Was the page leaked actually the final page or is it a random page of the book? The story I read was that some comic book shop owner/employee put all pages of the issue up on 4chan so I was just curious.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #32
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
Was the page leaked actually the final page or is it a random page of the book? The story I read was that some comic book shop owner/employee put all pages of the issue up on 4chan so I was just curious.
If it's what I think it is, it's not the actual final page.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #33
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The one with the actual reveal and Pete's last moments in a dying Ock body.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #34
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Yeah I read it on 4chan (god that thread was glorious) and that is NOT the last page.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #35
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
My apologies for calling it that then.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #36
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
The one with the actual reveal and Pete's last moments in a dying Ock body.
Yeah
That's the third to the last page of the story. At least how that one guy on 4chan showed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miken Ayers View Post
My apologies for calling it that then.
That's okay.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

stillanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #37
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Yeah, there are 2 pages after that page. Looking at it right now.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #38
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
bringing back Harry. Slott's explanation on why he's back was extremely sloppy, and made his return all the more stupid.

I still don't get why people keep harping on this. They brought Harry back almost EXACTLY like they did Norman. Same backstory retcon. To me that makes more sense than leaving Harry "dead" all this time when Norman was running around alive and well...

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #39
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
I still don't get why people keep harping on this. They brought Harry back almost EXACTLY like they did Norman. Same backstory retcon. To me that makes more sense than leaving Harry "dead" all this time when Norman was running around alive and well...
Here's why. It was Harry's variation of the Goblin formula that killed him. So why should the formula also miraculously fix him. On top of that Norman visited Harry's grave several times acknowledging he thought he was dead.

Now let's look at Slott's stupidtacular retcon on top of everything else. Norman was able to fly from the US from Europe the same night Harry keeled over, then he brought in Mysterio to clone a fake Harry corpse at the same time letting someone in on his secret to being not dead. Which brings me to my next point. Norman was pulling the Jackal's strings and orchestrated the Clone Saga. Why not just use him to clone dead Harry?

Bringing him back was stupid and needless after already resurrecting Norman and none of the in story reasoning made sense.

Last edited by Miken Ayers; 11-20-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #40
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Hey, guys, I think I have a bit of a theory. Please don't open spoils unless you've seen the released page and know what will happen in 698:
Imagine if a full brain switch was possible. You would wake up all "Freaky Friday", and realize you were not in your own body. However, you would still have your own memories and thoughts, right? You couldn't get your memories just from switching brains. Something else has to happen. Memories would have to be transplanted. So, what I think is either of this:
1. Mephisto shows up and screws with Ock and Peter's minds. This causes "Peter" to keep on living and "Ock" to die, thus fulfilling MJ's "leave him alone forevermore" thing and not bothering "Peter". We can't say for sure what would happen here since Mephisto can do virtually whatever he wants.
2. Something happened with the Octobots either in 600 or EotE. Somehow, Peter's and Ock's thinking patterns get switched. This would make it so Peter's brain has Pete's body and memories, but this new Peter thinks like Ock, and eventually theorizes that he is Ock though he is really Peter. It would be vice-versa for the Ock body: Ock body, mind, and memories, but thinks like Peter and eventually believes he is Peter, though he is still Ock.

I know it's a little hard to follow, but, just my two cents...

Old 11-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #41
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Here's why. It was Harry's variation of the Goblin formula that killed him. So why should the formula also miraculously fix him. On top of that Norman visited Harry's grave several times acknowledging he thought he was dead.

Now let's look at Slott's stupidtacular retcon on top of everything else. Norman was able to fly from the US from Europe the same night Harry keeled over, then he brought in Mysterio to clone a fake Harry corpse at the same time letting someone in on his secret to being not dead. Which brings me to my next point. Norman was pulling the Jackal's strings and orchestrated the Clone Saga. Why not just use him to clone dead Harry?

Bringing him back was stupid and needless after already resurrecting Norman and none of the in story reasoning made sense.
I don't see why Harry couldn't have survived. The variation of the Goblin formula may have killed him, but I don't see a good argument against why it couldn't have also saved him (which I think is fair game if you're willing to buy into a formula giving you healing powers anyway).

The other things you mention are through years of Spider-man stories which have been through many different writers. It's a long running comic book and there will always been inconsistencies because of that. I think it's a little much to hope that everything added should make line up with everything before it. Personally I think that many comics written nowadays almost expect us to 'head cannon' certain things when reading them even without actual retcons. I for one refuse to believe that Wolverine can regenerate from just his skeleton alone, because that's inconsistent with most of the comics I've read that feature him.

Now I'm not saying that the in-comic explanation is great or anything like that, just that it's hardly going to line up with decades odd worth of storytelling through various writers.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 PM   #42
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
I don't see why Harry couldn't have survived. The variation of the Goblin formula may have killed him, but I don't see a good argument against why it couldn't have also saved him (which I think is fair game if you're willing to buy into a formula giving you healing powers anyway).

The other things you mention are through years of Spider-man stories which have been through many different writers. It's a long running comic book and there will always been inconsistencies because of that. I think it's a little much to hope that everything added should make line up with everything before it. Personally I think that many comics written nowadays almost expect us to 'head cannon' certain things when reading them even without actual retcons. I for one refuse to believe that Wolverine can regenerate from just his skeleton alone, because that's inconsistent with most of the comics I've read that feature him.

Now I'm not saying that the in-comic explanation is great or anything like that, just that it's hardly going to line up with decades odd worth of storytelling through various writers.
Nope not buying it.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #43
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I just happened to be buying comics today when I overhear some guys in the store saying there's a twist in a Amazing Spider-Man #700, naturally I just ignored it I mean we've seen all theses twists and shocks happen in comics before but to actually devote a separate thread to it now has me curious.

Can someone post a spoiler for it.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #44
Miken Ayers
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I just happened to be buying comics today when I overhear some guys in the store saying there's a twist in a Amazing Spider-Man #700, naturally I just ignored it I mean we've seen all theses twists and shocks happen in comics before but to actually devote a separate thread to it now has me curious.

MU Miles Morales is an agent of Foreigner and manages to get Spider-Man's blood. The implication is he uses it to become Superior Spider-Man.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #45
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Nope not buying it.
Um.... okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post

Dock Ock has been running around in Peter Parker's body for quite some time.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 PM   #46
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
MU Miles Morales is an agent of Foreigner and manages to get Spider-Man's blood. The implication is he uses it to become Superior Spider-Man.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #47
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
But you left out the part where he drinks it in the temple...

Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 AM   #48
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Btw, I got the digital version of 698. A little weird, not sure what to make of it. I'm gonna reserve judgement on the story until after I read 699 and 700...

Will Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 AM   #49
EzekielRage
Hero of the Void

I enjoy reading comments. I really do. This keeps me entertained. I remember the days when people complained about BND, then further back to OMD, back to the creation of the Ultimate Universe, back to the Return of Norman Osborn, Back to the Clone Saga. I don't remember much before that though, mainly because was playing the catch up game. But I do remember the complaints. And while I understand some complaisn and think some others are just silly, one thing alsways stayed the same: People complained, no matter what happens. So I enjoy reading your posts - thanx for that^^ (No offense to anyone)

EzekielRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #50
THUNDERSTRIKE
COLBERT, GODDAMMIT!

Quote:

why not work Facade into all of this somehow while you're at it?...

hey, years ago, I was toying with the theory that it somehow might possibly have been Norman Osborn long BEFORE he was brought back a few years later...

there's still a great mystery there to be unraveled as to who he really was... it never HAS been explained... he just suddenly appeared for four issues and then he vanished into the night...

and Lance Bannon was the one who discovered who he was and was killed for it by Facade...

I am created the Destroyer, Shatterer of the accursed Castle that shall collapse and crumble into a forgotten ruination.
So falls Zehnc Dee'Ya, the unstable B***hQueen, and
S'melya, her suckup, and Sleech, an ancient and savage Over
Seer.
The B***h lies in the guise of her deceptive words and lies helpless in the ruin of her useless life, unable to save herself.
None are so blind to the obvious truth than the misled travellers that gather within the halls of her Castle at Rotting Hill.

TYALYZE

Last edited by THUNDERSTRIKE; 11-21-2012 at 10:47 AM.
THUNDERSTRIKE is offline   Reply With Quote