Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #101
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Default Re: Elder Scrolls V - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I have put in hundreds and hundreds of hours and still not come across him. You lucky dog!
Heh, i ran into him within 10 minutes of the game. Had no idea what was going on, lol.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #102
Super Kal
Side-Kick

i have the Dragonborn DLC, yet i dont know even how to get to the island...

Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #103
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

Some people should accost you and that should point to the direction of the Windhelm docks.

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #104
Soapy
It's happening again...

I've probably sunk over 200 hours into the game at this point, and I still haven't seen the headless horsemen.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #105
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Kal View Post
i have the Dragonborn DLC, yet i dont know even how to get to the island...
I was on the way to a hold when 3 whackos jumped me on the road. That started the DLC missions.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #106
James
Built from Lego

Playing it right now, just arrived on the island. So far so good, having a ton of fun and I'm not even off the ship yet.

The first thing that stands out, which I really like, is the "you're not in Skyrim anymore hotshot" feeling. Like, you may be a big deal where you come from, but this ain't Nordland and you ain't diddly around here. Very cool.

Last edited by James; 12-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #107
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapy View Post
I've probably sunk over 200 hours into the game at this point, and I still haven't seen the headless horsemen.
Me, too, so I felt pretty awesome when I saw him.

I finished up all the Dawnguard achievements so now I'm just waiting for Christmas to get Dragonborn. Can't wait for it, though. Upon creating two new characters recently (Khajit thief, High Elf mage), I've discovered that I still like my first character the best (Nord warrior) and he'll be my main dude from now on. Nords FTW!

Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #108
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I do like my Nord, but I think my favorite is still my Orc warrior. But he sadly doesn't exist anymore.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:14 PM   #109
James
Built from Lego

Nords definitely fit the main story better than any of the other races. It's completely tailored around them. My current character is a Nord through and through, proud Stormcloak, Thane of Windhelm, numerous other titles, and it suits the world and story far better than any other character I've created.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #110
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I disagree with that, but I understand it.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #111
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

I agree with James, personally. The entire main story is all about Nord politics and mythos with Sovngarde and whatever. The main narrative seems (to me, anyway) to be very much so geared towards the Nord race.

That's part of the reason why my other two characters only completed side stories (Mage's guild, Thieves Guild, Brotherhood) because neither of them "felt" like Dragonborn to me. Not like the ol' Nord.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #112
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

But there's really no reason why the Divines wouldn't choose another race to be Dragonborn this time. Especially a strong, noble Orc.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #113
James
Built from Lego

You don't think the story about the Dragonborn, a Nord legend that takes place in the Nord homeland and ends up taking you to the Nord afterlife is more focused toward the Nords than any other race?

Old 12-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #114
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

I'm with James, a Nord makes sense for the main character. If they were to choose one race to be canonical, it would be a Nord. Kind of like how in KOTOR, the canonical version is a light-sided male. The main story was just very heavily integrated into Nordic culture. In Oblivion, I wouldn't say one race made more sense than another for the main story because Cyrodill had a very diverse population, especially compared to Skyrim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
But there's really no reason why the Divines wouldn't choose another race to be Dragonborn this time. Especially a strong, noble Orc.
Well, the Orcs typically worship Malacath, a Daedric prince, so that's one strike against them. Of course you could always say yours converted thanks to Heimskr

Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #115
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

The design of the game itself is my argument. Your meant to play whatever race you want. And for whatever reason, the Divines choose your character as the next Dragonborn. Maybe the Nords shouldn't have fracked it up so bad, and then the Divines wouldn't have to choose another race.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #116
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Gah! My Skyrim doesn't work again. Now I have to disable every Mod and activate them one by one, to see which one causes the game to crash.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #117
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Gah! My Skyrim doesn't work again. Now I have to disable every Mod and activate them one by one, to see which one causes the game to crash.
Some mods require you to do a clean save before uninstalling it (by disabling it with console commands). It's also most likely a mod that has a plugin (esp file). Texture mods that just replace textures usually don't cause an issue.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #118
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squirrel View Post
The design of the game itself is my argument. Your meant to play whatever race you want. And for whatever reason, the Divines choose your character as the next Dragonborn. Maybe the Nords shouldn't have fracked it up so bad, and then the Divines wouldn't have to choose another race.
That is absolutely true. All I'm saying is, the story is more geared toward the Dragonborn being a Nord. The Dragonborn can be any race whatsoever.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #119
ProjectPat2280
SELLING...PERFECTION

I like the idea of an "outsider" being the Dragonborn. I think its compelling that all the myths lie around a Nord, yet here is an Argonian that is set to be the savior of the Nord land. Now granted iv actually never done that, my one and only character is a nord marksman, but still, if i ever created another character i think id go Orc or Argonian.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #120
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

Argonian's need more race perks, IMO. In a world where you can craft water breathing potions or enchant water breathing items, their one big perk doesn't really amount to much compared to other races. Being immune to poisons is cool, but you can get that as a Werewolf no matter what race you are.

I was gonna play an Argonian but there was no real benefit other than looking cool lol. They don't really lend themselves to any class or play style.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:32 PM   #121
James
Built from Lego

It's a shame we can't have a Riekling Dragonborn.

So far only two of my characters have followed the main story -both Nords. All the other characters I've built were for side quests. The Khajitt thief/assassin, the Orc troublemaker, etc.

As an aside, I really like the Rieklings so far. I thought it was great when I came near one of their camps and they all begin screaming and throwing spears at me. Those spears really seem to have a lot of weight behind them, one hit my shield and made an almighty clang. All the others dug into the ground around me with a satisfying clump.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #122
Spidey-Bat
Ours is the Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthus Dire View Post
Argonian's need more race perks, IMO. In a world where you can craft water breathing potions or enchant water breathing items, their one big perk doesn't really amount to much compared to other races. Being immune to poisons is cool, but you can get that as a Werewolf no matter what race you are.

I was gonna play an Argonian but there was no real benefit other than looking cool lol. They don't really lend themselves to any class or play style.
Plus there's hardly any water to swim in and I have yet to encounter a quest that required being underwater longer than you were able to. Oblivion there was more water and I remember a quest in the Mages Guild that you needed the ability.

I have an Oblivionized Races mod that gives you the racial benefits that were in Oblivion since Skyrim really cut back on them. There's a Morrowind version, too.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #123
James
Built from Lego

So I finished the main quest in the Dragonborn DLC...

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

It was shorter than I expected, but still fun. Looking forward to exploring the island more, the Rieklings are really cool. I like the Skaal woman you meet, she's very cool and I enjoy her company a lot more than I did Serana. I had a funny moment with the Elf wizard fellow, he glitched out near a door he was supposed to unlock and was just walking back and forth until I bashed him with my shield, that snapped him out of it to my amusement.

The final battle was neat, although I gather you're supposed to fly around and fight on the dragon's back a bit? I landed immediately and attacked the Big Bad before he'd even finished talking. I didn't realize until just now typing this, but that is exactly what I did in the Oblivion DLC- midway through the big boss' speech I started attacking.

On another note, I tried summoning Durvehviir while in Solstheim and it wouldn't work. I guess you can only summon him in Skyrim?

Old 12-08-2012, 08:05 PM   #124
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side

If there was one thing I don't like its the dragon controls. I messed with them for a bout a minute and immediately was like "Okay, I'm ready to land now."

: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #125
James
Built from Lego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
If there was one thing I don't like its the dragon controls. I messed with them for a bout a minute and immediately was like "Okay, I'm ready to land now."
Yeah, basically you can't do anything. To be fair I haven't tried it outside of the quest, I have no idea how it works in the open air. I'm assuming it can be done outside of the that one quest? I was never expecting anything terribly amazing, to be honest. Unless Skyrim's engine had a major upgrade, any kind of fluid dragon flight was never going to happen.

Hopefully in the next Elder Scrolls game it will be a standard feature. I picture something like several hundred years after the events of Skyrim, dragons are everywhere, both wild and tame. With a large map, a high sky limit and good controls the possibilities of dragon mounts are endless. On a next-gen console it should be perfectly doable. Large scale mid air battles would be the ultimate goal, along with cool tricks like diving through the air only for your mount to swoop you up right before you hit the ground.

Closed Thread