Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 PM   #301
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - Part 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
Lmao! I used to do and say the same thing.

And just like some of you guys I watched STM yesterday and just really appreciated what they brought the big screen. I can only imagine how the audience must have reacted when they sat in that theather for the first time back in 1978. I tried to watch it with that in mind watching superman's take offs... It was awesome all over again.
As much as everyone gives RETURNS ****, it got really ****ing good reviews by critics. But honestly at the end of the day, i will always just see it as a rehash of the original Donner film, and that's basically what it was. Alot of people liked Brandon, i found him wooden and he wasn't given alot to do. ( what the **** was up with his blue contacts, they just didn't look right to me) A crap load of the GP are very "meh" on the idea on a new Superman film. I really hope this can perform better, and get just as or even better reviews. It needs more action, but it also needs heart.
I watched STM today, and it still remains one of the best superhero films, they really got it right back in 1978, i can't even begin to imagine how awesome it would of been to see that film on the big screen for the first time.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 PM   #302
SuperAl
Superman's back!

I think i am one of the few people that didnt like those old superman films, i just cant get into them. The whole reversing time and their portrayal of Lex annoyed me too much. Kinda sucks that Returns was basically the first Superman movie for a lot of young people like myself and yet they chose to make a sequel to a movie that was made before i was even born.

I am crazy excited for MOS tho, i dont think i have ever been so excited about a movie before.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #303
flickchick85
Loose Seal
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
I think i am one of the few people that didnt like those old superman films, i just cant get into them. The whole reversing time and their portrayal of Lex annoyed me too much. Kinda sucks that Returns was basically the first Superman movie for a lot of young people like myself and yet they chose to make a sequel to a movie that was made before i was even born.
You're not alone. There are dozens of us! DOZENS!

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
Old 11-25-2012, 08:20 PM   #304
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Being locked up for multiple films is like the norm now for potential franchise movies so not that surprising.
It's been done for over a decade now. X-Men, Spider-Man (both Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield), Nolan's Batman trilogy, and so forth. Even Ryan Reynolds and Brandon Routh's contract options had two potential sequels.

It's only news if the contract options are for more than two sequels, a la Marvel's 4-6 movie options it locks its actors in.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 11-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #305
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:

I am crazy excited for MOS tho, i dont think i have ever been so excited about a movie before.
Stupid move, they should of rebooted in the first place. But i digress, and yes ! I have never been this excited for a movie before ! Superman (hopefully) done right for the first time in decades !

Old 11-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #306
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
As much as everyone gives RETURNS ****, it got really ****ing good reviews by critics. But honestly at the end of the day, i will always just see it as a rehash of the original Donner film, and that's basically what it was. Alot of people liked Brandon, i found him wooden and he wasn't given alot to do. ( what the **** was up with his blue contacts, they just didn't look right to me) A crap load of the GP are very "meh" on the idea on a new Superman film. I really hope this can perform better, and get just as or even better reviews. It needs more action, but it also needs heart.
I watched STM today, and it still remains one of the best superhero films, they really got it right back in 1978, i can't even begin to imagine how awesome it would of been to see that film on the big screen for the first time.
Totally bugged me that he hardly had any lines at all. I mean I thought it was a superman movie. I really want them to have some real strong and worthy dialogue for Cavill's Supes.

And I never trust a critics opinion on movies about any comic book hero. Especially after that movie. The fan vote is more trust worthy to me. The fan vote is the reason that they didn't make a sequel. Now we're getting MOS. Thank goodness for us huh? Lol

Quote:

I really want this movie to be something special for you and all the other fans in your generation. S*** I want it for me too. Lol BTW, most of us hated the way Lex was portrayed too. I still haven't seen the Lex I want on screen yet.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 11-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #307
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
When asked whether he had conversations with the studio about integrating “Man of Steel” into a larger superhero universe, Snyder treads carefully.

“Um, how can I answer that?” he wonders. “I can’t really say anything to that, because that’s a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.”

Wildly speculating, it sounds entirely possible that “Man of Steel” will mention another costumed crime-fighter — maybe in a post-credits sequence — that leads into another superhero film. Universe launched.
Wow. What would people think about a post-credits glimpse of a man sitting in a dark, subterranean space filled with computers and monitors watching Superman from a satellite feed, then spanning across and seeing perhaps a Flash or a Green Lantern on another monitor? Then, he turns and mutters "Alfred, it's time we made contact."

Old 11-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #308
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Totally bugged me that he hardly had any lines at all. I mean I thought it was a superman movie. I really want them to have some real strong and worthy dialogue for Cavill's Supes.

And I never trust a critics opinion on movies about any comic book hero. Especially after that movie. The fan vote is more trust worthy to me. The fan vote is the reason that they didn't make a sequel. Now we're getting MOS. Thank goodness for us huh? Lol

I really want this movie to be something special for you and all the other fans in your generation. S*** I want it for me too. Lol BTW, most of us hated the way Lex was portrayed too. I still haven't seen the Lex I want on screen yet.

this ! Tired of the want land property tycoon. I want a successful business/trump like interpretation.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #309
Wheels
They see me rollin'
SHH! Moderator

I like Superman: The Movie and that's it. Even with Superman:The Movie I'm not In love with it like some people are.

Quote:
There's been an awakening... Have you felt it?

The Dark Side, and the Light.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #310
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorKon-El View Post
[/B]

this ! Tired of the want land property tycoon. I want a successful business/trump like interpretation.
MOS has to bring us the Real Lex. The Lex from Birthright. It's time the non super fan GP see who he and Superman really are. They're not going to read the books. This movie is their only way. I really want that.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #311
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
When asked whether he had conversations with the studio about integrating “Man of Steel” into a larger superhero universe, Snyder treads carefully.

“Um, how can I answer that?” he wonders. “I can’t really say anything to that, because that’s a big spoiler. I will say, yeah, they trust me to keep them on course.”
Ugh. That sounds oddly like confirmation. I just want Snyder to lay it straight and deny any of this shared universe/JL nonsense.

I can't stress it enough and I wish everyone was on the same page in this board. A JL film would be cancer to any potential MOS trilogy. Even if it's a success, MOS would have to be offset. It's not even to do with JL stealing all the good villains. It's to do with the exclusivity that would be lost by Superman in this universe. The human/real-world angle that MOS is going for would be forfeit.

I know a majority of this board would disagree. And there's nothing I can do to dissuade. But I feel it's one of those things we should all be able to see from a mile away.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM   #312
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntMan View Post
I like Superman: The Movie and that's it. Even with Superman:The Movie I'm not In love with it like some people are.
I agree with this.

Superman: The Movie's best quality is the score.

That's one of the reasons I feel the sequels aren't as good. They don't have the benefit of such a good score. and the bits they recycled/redid just arent as good in the context of the sequel.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #313
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post
Ugh. That sounds oddly like confirmation. I just want Snyder to lay it straight and deny any of this shared universe/JL nonsense.

I can't stress it enough and I wish everyone was on the same page in this board. A JL film would be cancer to any potential MOS trilogy. Even if it's a success, MOS would have to be offset. It's not even to do with JL stealing all the good villains. It's to do with the exclusivity that would be lost by Superman in this universe. The human/real-world angle that MOS is going for would be forfeit.

I know a majority of this board would disagree. And there's nothing I can do to dissuade. But I feel it's one of those things we should all be able to see from a mile away.
I totally agree.

I've waited way too long for a superman movie with potential that MOS has. I guess I'm just selfish.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #314
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
I totally agree.

I've waited way too long for a superman movie with potential that MOS has. I guess I'm just selfish.
I agree with both of you.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #315
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville13 View Post

I'm sorry but I don't thinks thats a bad thing.

I know people like that. They liked it about the Nolan trilogy and like that MOS is going for it but I feel its one of the biggest falws about these films.

Going for uber realism and real world settings to the extent that they do just feels wrong.

There's nothing wrong with realism/ a real world, grounded take but it should never be done to that extent where certain elements start to get sacrificed cause it doesn't fit.

Like Robin. A big part of the Batman mythos, left out cause it doesn't fit.

ASM and IM did it best IMO. they were very much grounded but they never sacrificed any of the more fantastic elements.

I really hope MOS is more like those films than the DKT.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 PM   #316
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

I know people like that. They liked it about the Nolan trilogy and like that MOS is going for it but I feel its one of the biggest falws about these films.

Going for uber realism and real world settings to the extent that they do just feels wrong.

There's nothing wrong with realism/ a real world, grounded take but it should never be done to that extent where certain elements start to get sacrificed cause it doesn't fit.

ASM and IM did it best IMO. they were very much grounded but they never sacrificed any of the more fantastic elements.

Y'know that's actually an interesting debate and one I'm not sure which side I'm on yet. I would actually love to see a Superman film set in a more 'comics'y film universe like Scott Pilgrim and The Avengers.

But to be honest, for now anyway, I am actually more excited by the fact that Snyder/Nolan/Zimmer/WETA are actually going for a raw realistic aesthetic. It just gives the whole film a more grander feel to me. Whether it's the right approach or not remains to be seen. But I love the ambition everyone involved has, and that is what we're getting.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #317
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
You're not alone. There are dozens of us! DOZENS!
hey, count me in that camp, too.

while I don't dislike the old Superman films, I don't consider them "sacred and untouchable" like some may do. Really, besides Christopher Reeve and the Williams' theme/score, I could do without the rest of the movies. They don't age too well, that's for sure.

That's why when I found out SR was a quasi, vague sequel type thing to the Donner films, I was like.............

you just had a perfect, successful formula with Batman Begins to reboot a dormant franchise. why not follow that formula???

alas, they decided not to, and we all saw how that turned out.

ironically, it will have taken them another 7 years ( and under the "guidance" of said Batman Begin's Nolan ) to reboot the Superman franchise following that formula.........

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #318
Binker
Side-Kick

Did anyone know of the children books to Man of Steel, that won't be released til April? Just like how the children books to The Dark Knight Rises (or any movie for that matter) had ideas from the movie's plot, maybe these can too. Here's the list:

Man of Steel: Fate of Krypton
Man of Steel: Junior Novel
Man of Steel: Reusable Sticker Book
Man of Steel: Superman Saves Smallville
Man of Steel: Superman's Friends and Foes
Man of Steel: Superman's Friends and Foes (2)
Man of Steel: Superman's Superpowers
Man of Steel: Superman's Superpowers (2)

Also, the Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization with be released the same day as the film, and will be writen by writer Greg Cox. Cox wrote the novelization for Dark Knight Rises, but also the novelizations for 52, Countdown, Final Crisis; he did Terminator Salvation: The Cold War, and did some Star Trek books like the recently released Rings of Time, but primary, he is the guy who wrote the Eugenics Wars books.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #319
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Good find.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #320
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

that is a good find. and it basically confirms something we've long suspected.........that a big battle will take place in Smallville

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #321
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
that is a good find. and it basically confirms something we've long suspected.........that a big battle will take place in Smallville
Possibly.
Anyway the meter is at 70%. Only 30 % more ! LOL. Starting to think it's basically the trailer in HD or a teaser at least, because why would warner hold back the meter % if it was just a new poster or picture ?

Last edited by ConnorKon-El; 11-25-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #322
superhero#1
Side-Kick

That LEGO Set Reveal that 2 months ago.

Superman Metropolis Showdown

Superman Battle of Smallville

Superman Black Zero Escape

The toy commercial talked about black zero too.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:28 AM   #323
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post

Also, the Man of Steel: The Official Movie Novelization with be released the same day as the film, and will be writen by writer Greg Cox.
*groan*

I miss the good old days when novelizations for movies came out prior to the film.

Thanks a lot Nolan and Abrams! [/sarcasm]

"Come Think With Us."
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #324
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

The following are the scenes from the movie I could think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add if anyone can recall any others. Major spoilers, obviously. I've tried to present them in chronological order in the way I think they'll appear in the movie, but some of it will be flashbacks, so it's temporal order to be exact.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Krypton:
- War on Krypton.
- Hand to hand fighting between Jor-El and Zod.
- Jor-El and Lara send off Kal-El to Earth.

Childhood Clark:
- Clark in a hospital.
- Clark saves school bus.
- Jonathan shows him the spaceship/gives him the amulet.

College-aged Clark:
- Saves people from a tornado.
- Possibly when Jonathan Kent dies.

Clark in Alaska:
- Clark on a fishing boat.
- Clark hitch hiking.
- Shirtless, hairy Clark with ripped clothing scene.
- Log truck accident.
- Oil rig incident.
- Lois in Alaska.

Clark at Fortress of Solitude
- Clark places the amulet to open up the Fortress.
- Clark talks to Jor-El.
- Clark exist FOS in Superman suit.

Battle of Smallville:
- Lois in Smallville.
- Zod and Co. cause damage at the Kent farm.
- Military/Zod/Superman/Faora battle in the town of Smallville.
- Military shoots missiles at Superman.
- Superman flies through IHOP sign.
- Superman gets thrown/punched/shot into bank vault.

Desert Scene:
- Military hands over Clark to Zod and/or Faora.
- Lois somehow involved.

Late Second Act/Third Act:
- Superman escapes from Black Zero.
- Battle in Metropolis with robot army.
- Black Zero uses gravity device to lift buildings and vehicles into the air.
- Rebuilding of Metropolis.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 AM   #325
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post

I don't see how that's a flaw.

Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy may not have pleased those fans who wanted a 'fantastical' Batman trilogy but these films were influential and inspirational. Why? Because it gave Bruce Wayne this aura that he was human, and the world he existed in felt real. That was essential considering people are hoping and/or praying for heroes now more than ever.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Closed Thread